News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on December 23, 2013, 06:58:30 PM
Our review of the Walking with Dinosaurs in 3-D film: Everything Dinosaur's Review

Interesting, so you think it will actually well ?  Maybe moreso in the U.K. then though.

I did like tihs comment " Do animals that lay eggs have a runt in the litter? " .

I really have no idea..I know when it comes to reptiles not all born are equal..most are destined to die which is the reason for the quantity of eggs produced...but bird-like animals ?

amargasaurus cazaui

Some egg laying animals lay extra eggs that are then shoved outside the preiphery of the nest as sacarficial to appease predators, and prevent raiding of the actual nest. This is another stategy that requires laying extra eggs.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 23, 2013, 07:22:23 PM
Our review of the Walking with Dinosaurs in 3-D film: Everything Dinosaur's Review

Interesting, so you think it will actually well ?  Maybe moreso in the U.K. then though.

I did like tihs comment " Do animals that lay eggs have a runt in the litter? " .

I really have no idea..I know when it comes to reptiles not all born are equal..most are destined to die which is the reason for the quantity of eggs produced...but bird-like animals ?
Based on what I've heard, I doubt it. And actually I hope it doesn't. I want to see cool dinosaur documentaries with minimal narration and accurate behavior, not more of these kid-oriented monstrosities *yuck*.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 23, 2013, 08:26:29 PM
Some egg laying animals lay extra eggs that are then shoved outside the preiphery of the nest as sacarficial to appease predators, and prevent raiding of the actual nest. This is another stategy that requires laying extra eggs.

I've never heard of this before. Do you know where you read/saw this? I would think the goal behind any nest is to conceal and protect the eggs. Leaving eggs outside the nest to feed predators will only attract more predators. Doesn't sound right to me.

deanm

Went to the movie today.

Both of my kids enjoyed it.

For me it was a "qualified okay" (I knew what I was heading into - so my expectations were suitable) - I have seen worse but it was not in the top 100 I have seen either... 

Best parts were the pterosaurs.  :))

SBell

If you go to Box Office Mojo it barely hit $20M worldwide; the budget was undisclosed there. But given its poor showing, I don't think we're looking at a box office power house that will spawn years of sequels (8th in the weekend, behind several movies that have been out for a few weeks? Not a good sign).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on December 24, 2013, 01:10:13 AM

If you go to Box Office Mojo it barely hit $20M worldwide; the budget was undisclosed there. But given its poor showing, I don't think we're looking at a box office power house that will spawn years of sequels (8th in the weekend, behind several movies that have been out for a few weeks? Not a good sign).

Yeah I highly doubt it will back it's budget til it hits dvd/bluray . 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on December 24, 2013, 12:52:06 AM

I've never heard of this before. Do you know where you read/saw this? I would think the goal behind any nest is to conceal and protect the eggs. Leaving eggs outside the nest to feed predators will only attract more predators. Doesn't sound right to me.
It was mentioned in Kenneth Carpenter's book about dinosaur eggs, and nests.{Eggs,Nests, and Baby Dinosaurs} Time prevents me from finding the exact page and quote but the information was in that book and in fact at one point he does some reconstructions of egg and nest patterns for a nesting ground where he explains some of the isolated eggs in the graph as being sacarificial.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

But are those healthy eggs with potential perfect offspring or would they produce a " runt " if they made it to full term ?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2013, 05:18:07 AM
But are those healthy eggs with potential perfect offspring or would they produce a " runt " if they made it to full term ?
I am unsure how you would determine that from a fossil egg, especially given that only ten percent or less of the unhatched eggs found normally contain any form of embryonic remains to work with. You would need eggs from several different levels of maturity to determine the maximum and minimum size for an embryonic dinosaur of the given species. Once you are able to determine the proper size for a hatchling , then you would need to find a sacarificial egg that had not been predatized
On the other hand if you are working with an extant animal the test would be much simpler to determine and isolate.However I think the problem that suggests itself there is......would the eggs not given any brooding or care even mature in any manner where you could determine if they would have been normal or not?I am guessing that the answer is no, making the question nearly impossible to test.

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 24, 2013, 03:38:39 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 24, 2013, 12:52:06 AM

It was mentioned in Kenneth Carpenter's book about dinosaur eggs, and nests.{Eggs,Nests, and Baby Dinosaurs} Time prevents me from finding the exact page and quote but the information was in that book and in fact at one point he does some reconstructions of egg and nest patterns for a nesting ground where he explains some of the isolated eggs in the graph as being sacarificial.

Interesting. I have that book so I'll have to look around for that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

amargasaurus cazaui

I will try and spend a little time with my copy over Christmas and see if I can coach the page numbers out of the book, for you. I am fairly certain that is where I read it, as this book is perhaps the most definitive book there is currently about dinosaur eggs, and nests.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 24, 2013, 12:12:07 AM

Based on what I've heard, I doubt it. And actually I hope it doesn't. I want to see cool dinosaur documentaries with minimal narration and accurate behavior, not more of these kid-oriented monstrosities *yuck*.

I highly recommend you Prehistoric Beast, yeah its old, but its better than many documentaries today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlaXIRTjNfo

Curiosly Disney Dinosaur was directed by Paul  Verhoeven and Phil Tippett. The plot was like a documentary with a Tyrannosaurus fighting a Styracosaurus till the KT event. no narration, not moving lips, not monkeys. But Disney didnt like the idea. Finally Tippett used the idea for Prehistoric Beast. Despite nearly 30 years was released this short, for me its a master piece.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: RolandEden on December 24, 2013, 01:40:50 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 24, 2013, 12:12:07 AM

I highly recommend you Prehistoric Beast, yeah its old, but its better than many documentaries today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlaXIRTjNfo

Curiosly Disney Dinosaur was directed by Paul  Verhoeven and Phil Tippett. The plot was like a documentary with a Tyrannosaurus fighting a Styracosaurus till the KT event. no narration, not moving lips, not monkeys. But Disney didnt like the idea. Finally Tippett used the idea for Prehistoric Beast. Despite nearly 30 years was released this short, for me its a master piece.

This one certainly inspired me quite a bit growing up. I first saw it on the Christopher Reeve Dinosaur special. There are a few other animated parts in there as well..as much as that is loved it should be proof no voices are needed to tell a good story. 

Balaur

Hey guys, did any of you notice the grass in the majority of the landscape? What's up with that? Isn't grass supposed to be only in India at that time? Or am I missing something?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on December 24, 2013, 07:15:05 PM
Hey guys, did any of you notice the grass in the majority of the landscape? What's up with that? Isn't grass supposed to be only in India at that time? Or am I missing something?
Grass is an angiosperm, which appeared during the early Cretaceous (I believe this film is set some time during the Cretaceous). So, it's fine.

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 24, 2013, 07:17:20 PM
Grass is an angiosperm, which appeared during the early Cretaceous (I believe this film is set some time during the Cretaceous). So, it's fine.

Huh. I thought we only had grass at the end of the Cretaceous, but it was rare. I guess I'll let that past.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on December 24, 2013, 07:25:10 PM

Huh. I thought we only had grass at the end of the Cretaceous, but it was rare. I guess I'll let that past.
But Quetzalcoatlus, Pachyrhinosaurus and Gorgosaurus all appeared during the Late Cretaceous. So I'm guessing the film is supposed to be set in the Late Cretaceous. I don't see any problem.

Takama

Yes but The original WWD said that there was no grass.

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 24, 2013, 07:31:38 PM
Quote from: Balaur on December 24, 2013, 07:25:10 PM

But Quetzalcoatlus, Pachyrhinosaurus and Gorgosaurus all appeared during the Late Cretaceous. So I'm guessing the film is supposed to be set in the Late Cretaceous. I don't see any problem.

Didn't the film mention it was set 70 millions years ago, so indeed in the Late Cretaceous? The tagline seems to back this up (in Holland at least).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: