News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Quote from: SBell on December 19, 2013, 08:23:54 PM
Plus a sassy John Leguizamo (Sid the Sloth) as the bird-dino.
Suddenly the choice of Otto Waalkes as the German voice of Alex makes a lot more sense. Waalkes also voices Sid in the German Dub. So the flawed logic behind it would be that if Leguizamo voiced a prehistoric animal, Waalkes voices it in the German Dub. Ofcourse Alexornis>>>Megalonyx in my opinion.

On the subject of commercial success we can only hope for Jurassic World to be a success. Should it and Pixarsaur both flop: Good bye Dinosaur movies. Should JW flop, but Pixarsaur be a success, we can probably kiss Dinosaur Movies with semi-realistic Dinosaurs good bye, and get stuck with something that looks like that movie.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

QuoteOn the subject of commercial success we can only hope for Jurassic World to be a success. Should it and Pixarsaur both flop: Good bye Dinosaur movies. Should JW flop, but Pixarsaur be a success, we can probably kiss Dinosaur Movies with semi-realistic Dinosaurs good bye, and get stuck with something that looks like that movie.

Not really. Dinosaurs will probably always be a popular commodity for kids. Just because a couple of movies don't do as well as expected does not mean the the entire film industry will stop including them.

If we follow your logic, then the dinosaurs of The Land Before Time should have influenced every film that included dinosaurs that came after it. It was quite popular, did well at the box office and featured cute, stylised, cartoony characters. Jurassic Park was released 3 years later, and couldn't be more different in its depiction of dinosaurs.

The Good Dinosaur, I have no worries for. As for Jurassic World, I'm not so sure. I've lost hope in Hollywood blockbusters.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 19, 2013, 09:23:30 PM
QuoteOn the subject of commercial success we can only hope for Jurassic World to be a success. Should it and Pixarsaur both flop: Good bye Dinosaur movies. Should JW flop, but Pixarsaur be a success, we can probably kiss Dinosaur Movies with semi-realistic Dinosaurs good bye, and get stuck with something that looks like that movie.

Not really. Dinosaurs will probably always be a popular commodity for kids. Just because a couple of movies don't do as well as expected does not mean the the entire film industry will stop including them.

If we follow your logic, then the dinosaurs of The Land Before Time should have influenced every film that included dinosaurs that came after it. It was quite popular, did well at the box office and featured cute, stylised, cartoony characters. Jurassic Park was released 3 years later, and couldn't be more different in its depiction of dinosaurs.

The Good Dinosaur, I have no worries for. As for Jurassic World, I'm not so sure. I've lost hope in Hollywood blockbusters.
To back TQ up: I believe that no matter how bad these movies are, kids will always love dinosaurs and dino models. I totally agree with the quote in my sig line-
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs." -Peter Benchley.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

CityRaptor

As for both Movies being flops: Okay, I probably exaggerated on them stopping Dinosaur Movies entirely, but it might slow them down.

As for Jurassic World flopping and Pixarsaur being a success: My concern is that there would be less Movies with semi-realistic Dinosaurs being made, with Hollywood opting for Movies with kiddy Designs instead, with the occassional Movie with semi-realistic ones. Keep in mind that every few decades or so, one Dinosaur Movie is made, that greatly influences the publics view on Dinosaurs. The Original King Kong, One Million Years BC, Jurassic Park. Given that the last of those came out 20 years ago...So basically in this case, the "Dinosaurs are for kids" mentality would be even more enforced if Pixarsaur turns out to become the one Dinosaur Movie this time.
They wasted the perfect oppotunity to make WWD3D to make the one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

I'm not too worried about either film. The track record for Pixar tells me that "The Good Dinosaur" will be both well made and popular with the general public. "Jurassic World" I'm a little bit more worried about but the premise to me sounds interesting and though I haven't seen his movie "Safety Not Guaranteed" I know it was very well received by critics. It has a 91% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That said, one good movie does not guarantee a second.
As for the influence these movies have on future dinosaur movies, I'm certainly not worried about that. Sounds like over analytical paranoia to me. Since "Jurassic Park" we've only had two JP sequels, Disney's "Dinosaur" and Peter Jackson's "King Kong". It's not like we had a movie industry saturated with dinosaur (which should have been the case after JP) so personally I'm just happy to see any dinosaur movies getting box office attention at this point. And lets face it, nether of the upcoming movies will be as awful as WWD3D appears to be.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2013, 10:18:52 PMSince "Jurassic Park" we've only had two JP sequels, Disney's "Dinosaur" and Peter Jackson's "King Kong".

Don't forget about "The Flintstones", "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs", & "Land of the Lost" (as much as you may want to).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Quote from: HD-man on December 19, 2013, 11:28:56 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2013, 10:18:52 PMSince "Jurassic Park" we've only had two JP sequels, Disney's "Dinosaur" and Peter Jackson's "King Kong".

Don't forget about "The Flintstones", "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs", & "Land of the Lost" (as much as you may want to).

Oh yeah, I figured I forgot a few but when you mention those yeah, I want to forget them. Honestly though, I liked "Land of the Lost". I know it's awful, consider it a guilty pleasure.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2013, 11:34:26 PMOh yeah, I figured I forgot a few but when you mention those yeah, I want to forget them. Honestly though, I liked "Land of the Lost". I know it's awful, consider it a guilty pleasure.

On the bright side, it gives me a reason to post the following vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2cvmS4OITE

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2013, 11:34:26 PM
Quote from: HD-man on December 19, 2013, 11:28:56 PM

Oh yeah, I figured I forgot a few but when you mention those yeah, I want to forget them. Honestly though, I liked "Land of the Lost". I know it's awful, consider it a guilty pleasure.

We also had We're Back : A dinosaur's story . 

I actually liked all those films pretty well..they are funny and include dinosaurs. They're not meant to be taken seriously so lets me enjoy a little prehistoric fun. Not to mention The Flintstones had a cavewoman Halle Berry... it deserves at least one point for that.  lol

HD-man

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: HD-man on December 20, 2013, 04:39:51 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 20, 2013, 02:10:41 AMWe also had We're Back : A dinosaur's story .

I knew I forgot something.

Rex without the Brain Grain was pretty cool...and Professor Screweyes..nice character, felt like something Bradbury would come up with.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAs for Jurassic World flopping and Pixarsaur being a success: My concern is that there would be less Movies with semi-realistic Dinosaurs being made, with Hollywood opting for Movies with kiddy Designs instead, with the occassional Movie with semi-realistic ones. Keep in mind that every few decades or so, one Dinosaur Movie is made, that greatly influences the publics view on Dinosaurs. The Original King Kong, One Million Years BC, Jurassic Park. Given that the last of those came out 20 years ago...So basically in this case, the "Dinosaurs are for kids" mentality would be even more enforced if Pixarsaur turns out to become the one Dinosaur Movie this time.
I don't think so. The problem with WWD was that it had a terrible storyline and insipid dialogue. See here:

QuoteGulf News reported that prior to the theatrical release, early reviews were mixed "with some sensing a disconnect between the simplistic storytelling and spectacular visuals"

QuoteAdams commended the 3D special effects as "immersive and impressive" but thought audiences may be frustrated at "its rather simplistic story".

QuoteMichael Rechtshaffen, reviewing for The Hollywood Reporter, also approved of the effects, calling them "first rate".

Quote"The film's attempt to make its story broad and accessible at times sits uneasily alongside the spectacular computer animation."

No-one is complaining about the animation style. The problem is that the film tried to mesh childish, simplistic dialogue with realistic visuals. They don't work together- they should have made it a cartoon animation with voiceovers, or made it 100% realistic without dialogue.

Also, those films you mentioned (King Kong, Jurassic Park etc) were critical successes and became pop cultural phenomenons. It is natural that they influenced films after them. WWD3D will most likely fade into obscurity very quickly, and its influence on dinosaur film making will be negligible. Why shouldn't it? It hasn't done anything different or revolutionary to make it memorable.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 20, 2013, 02:33:38 PM
QuoteAs for Jurassic World flopping and Pixarsaur being a success: My concern is that there would be less Movies with semi-realistic Dinosaurs being made, with Hollywood opting for Movies with kiddy Designs instead, with the occassional Movie with semi-realistic ones. Keep in mind that every few decades or so, one Dinosaur Movie is made, that greatly influences the publics view on Dinosaurs. The Original King Kong, One Million Years BC, Jurassic Park. Given that the last of those came out 20 years ago...So basically in this case, the "Dinosaurs are for kids" mentality would be even more enforced if Pixarsaur turns out to become the one Dinosaur Movie this time.
I don't think so. The problem with WWD was that it had a terrible storyline and insipid dialogue. See here:

QuoteGulf News reported that prior to the theatrical release, early reviews were mixed "with some sensing a disconnect between the simplistic storytelling and spectacular visuals"

QuoteAdams commended the 3D special effects as "immersive and impressive" but thought audiences may be frustrated at "its rather simplistic story".

QuoteMichael Rechtshaffen, reviewing for The Hollywood Reporter, also approved of the effects, calling them "first rate".

Quote"The film's attempt to make its story broad and accessible at times sits uneasily alongside the spectacular computer animation."

No-one is complaining about the animation style. The problem is that the film tried to mesh childish, simplistic dialogue with realistic visuals. They don't work together- they should have made it a cartoon animation with voiceovers, or made it 100% realistic without dialogue.

Also, those films you mentioned (King Kong, Jurassic Park etc) were critical successes and became pop cultural phenomenons. It is natural that they influenced films after them. WWD3D will most likely fade into obscurity very quickly, and its influence on dinosaur film making will be negligible. Why shouldn't it? It hasn't done anything different or revolutionary to make it memorable.

I have to agree at this point..the film hasn't even been released til today and I'm not seeing the surge of interest. I expect it will do a bit worse than Disney's Dinosaur...at least in the U.S.

rfdelgado

I learned a long time ago that my ideas and stories are precious things to me, and the stuff that I do for other people I do as well as I can, but if I look for personal satisfaction from people who pay me for my ideas but then take them and create lame stories, I'd be in for nothing but a career full of frustration and a string of credits based on awful projects.

My stupid dino comic is my own, and for all of my pitfalls and failures with those stories I stand behind them with happiness, fullfilment and confidence. Here is where I write for the first time that my silly story The Journey was a cathartic exersize for me based on the frustrating experience that was Disney's Dinosaur. They had all of the resources to hire myself and anybody else they wanted to, yet came up with what I think is a pretty lame story, so years later I sat down and with just pen, ink and paper, told a story in the same scenario that in my mind blows that picture away, and I'd far prouder of that story than I am of anything that I did for that picture in the sense that storytelling is storytelling, and for all the faults that The Journey has, it still is ten times the story of that picture. So I write this for anybody that's thinking of doing this for a living.

Create your own stories or sit around thinking of what could have been for the rest of your life.

Sincerely,

Ricardo Delgado

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rfdelgado on December 20, 2013, 07:41:29 PM
I learned a long time ago that my ideas and stories are precious things to me, and the stuff that I do for other people I do as well as I can, but if I look for personal satisfaction from people who pay me for my ideas but then take them and create lame stories, I'd be in for nothing but a career full of frustration and a string of credits based on awful projects.

My stupid dino comic is my own, and for all of my pitfalls and failures with those stories I stand behind them with happiness, fullfilment and confidence. Here is where I write for the first time that my silly story The Journey was a cathartic exersize for me based on the frustrating experience that was Disney's Dinosaur. They had all of the resources to hire myself and anybody else they wanted to, yet came up with what I think is a pretty lame story, so years later I sat down and with just pen, ink and paper, told a story in the same scenario that in my mind blows that picture away, and I'd far prouder of that story than I am of anything that I did for that picture in the sense that storytelling is storytelling, and for all the faults that The Journey has, it still is ten times the story of that picture. So I write this for anybody that's thinking of doing this for a living.

Create your own stories or sit around thinking of what could have been for the rest of your life.

Sincerely,

Ricardo Delgado

Sound advice Ricardo !

You've done so much in your stories  that no one would dare try on camera..and maybe that's the best place for it.  Let our minds narrate as they will.

alexeratops

Just so you guys know, i'm going to see this tonight and will talk about it tonight or tomorrow. (be ready for all caps  ;D)
like a bantha!

Balaur

Me and my mom are going to see it tonight as well. I originally said I won't but, I want to review it on my blog, and I will wear earplugs, even though it won't filter out all the noise. Still, you'll see a review for it tonight on my blog. Chances are it won't be positive. :/

Takama

I have plans to see it Monday.  We were going to see it today, but the weather was unpredictable

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on December 21, 2013, 12:02:42 AM
Me and my mom are going to see it tonight as well. I originally said I won't but, I want to review it on my blog, and I will wear earplugs, even though it won't filter out all the noise. Still, you'll see a review for it tonight on my blog. Chances are it won't be positive. :/
I can understand not wanting to listen to the sound for casual listening...but if you're going to be writing a review, how will muting the sound contribute towards a fair conclusion? You'll be hampering your analysis of the movie.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Seems Krentz's family enjoyed it overall per facebook. 

Looks like Dan has a video up showing scenes with and without dialogue.  The latter seems to work better for me...reminds me of Delgado's work more.  You tend to focus on the visuals even more really.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: