News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

I just watched Speckles aka Dino King last night on Netflix..it was hilarious how bad it was.

I might still go see WWD:3D ..is it worth it to see in 3D or just go for 2D ? There is a substantial cost difference.

Hermes888

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2013, 12:34:10 AM
I just watched Speckles aka Dino King last night on Netflix..it was hilarious how bad it was.

I might still go see WWD:3D ..is it worth it to see in 3D or just go for 2D ? There is a substantial cost difference.
I always like going full IMAX 3D, but it really depends on what you like. I didn't really notice any big benefit of the 3D - had there been more focus on the animation itself (instead of on the obnoxious voices) I probably would have noticed it more.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Hermes888 on December 29, 2013, 12:45:18 AM

I always like going full IMAX 3D, but it really depends on what you like. I didn't really notice any big benefit of the 3D - had there been more focus on the animation itself (instead of on the obnoxious voices) I probably would have noticed it more.

JP:3D was pretty good..but I wasn't sure about this.  We don't have an IMAX locally..just local theaters with 3D screen.  Costs about 14.00  2D I can go see for 5.00 .

Hermes888

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2013, 01:12:30 AM
Quote from: Hermes888 on December 29, 2013, 12:45:18 AM

JP:3D was pretty good..but I wasn't sure about this.  We don't have an IMAX locally..just local theaters with 3D screen.  Costs about 14.00  2D I can go see for 5.00 .
I think $5 is a reasonable price for the film. If I saw the DVD in a $5 bargain bin I might pick it up, but I wouldn't for $14. Go for it, but in 2D. Expect disappointment.

I don't think the film played in IMAX anywhere, to be honest. I live pretty close to multiple movie theaters, but none of them had Walking With Dinosaurs playing in full IMAX, surprisingly, even though one of the nearest theaters has multiple IMAX screens. While I'm a big fan of IMAX due to the enhanced screen and clarity, I don't think 3D adds much in most cases. The only exception to this that I can think of is Gravity, which still plays in my local AMC theater in 3D (despite having been released in October).

Speaking of IMAX, you know of those films that play in museum IMAX theaters that are only around forty minutes long or so (Dinosaurs: Alive! and Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure)? This reminded me heavily of those. Remove the voices, cut out a lot of the scenes (specifically those of Patchi as an adult), and you have a perfect fit.

As for Jurassic Park 3D, I enjoyed it, but that was mostly due to the fact that I now got to see a film that predates me by three years on a big screen. The 3D conversion was impressive, but you could tell that the film wasn't originally 3D. Some of the people looked a bit like cardboard cutouts.

Blade-of-the-Moon

5.00 sounds good to me.  My expectations are pretty low at any rate...lol

Hermes888

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2013, 01:50:03 AM
Lower them further.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Hermes888 on December 29, 2013, 03:28:25 AM
Lower them further.

I'm kind of expecting Ice Age : Dawn of the Dinosaurs with better graphics..at this point.

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2013, 04:31:52 AM
Lower them further.

I'm kind of expecting Ice Age : Dawn of the Dinosaurs with better graphics..at this point.

One thing I will say is that the Dinosaurs in WWD do say things that they should have no idea what they are (words like Medic, and Chew toy)  Kind of like in Ice age three when Manny says "What do you want? a Birth Certificate?"

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on December 29, 2013, 05:56:12 AM
Lower them further.

One thing I will say is that the Dinosaurs in WWD do say things that they should have no idea what they are (words like Medic, and Chew toy)  Kind of like in Ice age three when Manny says "What do you want? a Birth Certificate?"
Seems a bit ironic you would complain about that, when there is the more obvious problem of the human voiceovers. As we all know, humans didn't evolve until millions of years later.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess he's setting aside that obvious major issue.. lol

fleshanthos

I wasn't as put off of Speckles as you guys seem to be - the reason is that I understand the market it was made for. While we are all more alike than we are different, Korean kids aren't the same thing as US kids. For them, "cute" is very important. Check the horrid "Junya" of 'Gojira tai Supaisu Gojira'.
There is also the definite undercurrent of Speckles being the Asian, while the tyrant king is, of course, USA.
I was very pleased to see that a kids show actually showed death and didn't shy away from it. Did WWD do the same?

That being said, there is no way in hell I will voluntarily watch Speckles again.

Very great thanx for these reviews - I will only watch WWD on my computer in a year or so, where I can turn off the sound, and play Stravinsky's RoS instead; insulting though it may be to the great composer.
One can only hope for a "Dark Side of Oz" effect.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: fleshanthos on December 29, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
I wasn't as put off of Speckles as you guys seem to be - the reason is that I understand the market it was made for. While we are all more alike than we are different, Korean kids aren't the same thing as US kids. For them, "cute" is very important. Check the horrid "Junya" of 'Gojira tai Supaisu Gojira'.
There is also the definite undercurrent of Speckles being the Asian, while the tyrant king is, of course, USA.
I was very pleased to see that a kids show actually showed death and didn't shy away from it. Did WWD do the same?

That being said, there is no way in hell I will voluntarily watch Speckles again.

Very great thanx for these reviews - I will only watch WWD on my computer in a year or so, where I can turn off the sound, and play Stravinsky's RoS instead; insulting though it may be to the great composer.
One can only hope for a "Dark Side of Oz" effect.

I think both suffered from the same issues ..bad dialogue and the horrible " kids " voices.  The only good thing is I watched with a friend and we had a lot to laugh about.

I didn't miss the old dominating USA vs struggling Korean culture references either. Seems in a lot of Asian films, ect..we're often the bad guys. I see it in a lot of anime I watch.

It did have a lot of scenes I was surprised to  see in a " kids " film.   That said I've seen it now and I think I'm good. It's not going in the dvd library for sure.  ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 29, 2013, 06:00:41 AM
Lower them further.

Seems a bit ironic you would complain about that, when there is the more obvious problem of the human voiceovers. As we all know, humans didn't evolve until millions of years later.

If you want to add voices though that's what has to be done and you could consider it a translation of their own sounds and methods of communication. Dialogue like "I'll kick your butt to the stone age" though...yeah, I cannot tolerate that. Apparently these dinosaurs can see the future.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on December 29, 2013, 03:56:09 PM
Lower them further.

If you want to add voices though that's what has to be done and you could consider it a translation of their own sounds and methods of communication. Dialogue like "I'll kick your butt to the stone age" though...yeah, I cannot tolerate that. Apparently these dinosaurs can see the future.
Imo, another reason why voices shouldn't have been added in the first place.

Hermes888

Quote from: Gwangi on December 29, 2013, 03:56:09 PM

Quote from Walking With Dinosaurs:
Patchi: We need to talk about the future.
Juniper: You mean the Cenozoic?
Patchi: No, I mean our future.

I assume that the narration came from the ghosts of the dinosaurs involved, who, after millions of years, learned how to speak and could make references to what would have been their future.
To be honest, the voice I found worst in the film was that of Alex, I think keeping him as sole narrator would still be terrible.

I never caught that USA vs. Asian culture part of Speckles, I was distracted by the fact that there was a Tyrannosaurus in Asia.
Do the suicidal Velociraptors of Speckles mean anything? That was the part of the film that bothered me most - seeing all these Velociraptors charging at a full grown Tarbosaurus instead of eating the meat of two dinosaurs they literally just killed.

Quote from: fleshanthos on December 29, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
As for death in WWD, Patchi's dad Bulldust dies, but they don't explicitly show it. The scene just Bulldust and a Gorgosaurus fighting, then they talk about his death while the camera shows Patchi and Scowler being sad.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on December 24, 2013, 12:52:06 AMI've never heard of this before. Do you know where you read/saw this? I would think the goal behind any nest is to conceal and protect the eggs. Leaving eggs outside the nest to feed predators will only attract more predators. Doesn't sound right to me.

See "Omelet": http://books.google.com/books?id=MCT6UXwb578C&pg=PA99&dq=%22omelet+when+riding%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=63HAUpaYJ7S0sQTZgIGwDw&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22omelet%20when%20riding%22&f=false

See "Rhea": http://books.google.com/books?id=G8tGVS-Ak6wC&pg=PA186&dq=%22rhea+rheas+are%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pHHAUsrkA-nRsATZ9YCQDw&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22rhea%20rheas%20are%22&f=false

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 24, 2013, 07:31:38 PMBut Quetzalcoatlus, Pachyrhinosaurus and Gorgosaurus all appeared during the Late Cretaceous. So I'm guessing the film is supposed to be set in the Late Cretaceous. I don't see any problem.

The problem isn't that there's grass, but that there are grasslands (To quote Holtz, "Grasses grow from the base of the leaf rather than the tip. They often have little bits of silica in them to persuade herbivores not to eat them. Recent discoveries in both Laurasia and Gondwana: the latter were found in titanosaur sauropod coprolites! So at least some Cretaceous dinosaurs were grass eaters. However, grasses seem to have been relatively rare in the Mesozoic, and did not form grasslands until much later. Ground cover in the later Mesozoic was a mixture of ferns and herbaceous angiosperms. So as far as we know, no dinosaur other than birds ever wandered in prairies or savannahs: these appear much later, long after the end of the Mesozoic": http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/lectures/104shadow.html ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Balaur

That's what I thought too. I knew there was grass, but I'm not sure it was as extensive as protrayed in the film.

As for the on screen death of characters, none where explicitly shown dead on screen. I actually heard somewhere (I forget where) that Fox also cut out a few violent scenes. I'm guessing originally they did show it, but Fx made them cut it out so that it is more kid/friendly.

Oh, actually, there was a scene where Gorgon plucks a Quetzalcoatlus from the sky, and then he explicitly killed it on screen and then his family ate it. Still no blood though.

Gwangi

Quote from: HD-man on December 29, 2013, 07:11:24 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 24, 2013, 12:52:06 AMI've never heard of this before. Do you know where you read/saw this? I would think the goal behind any nest is to conceal and protect the eggs. Leaving eggs outside the nest to feed predators will only attract more predators. Doesn't sound right to me.

See "Omelet": http://books.google.com/books?id=MCT6UXwb578C&pg=PA99&dq=%22omelet+when+riding%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=63HAUpaYJ7S0sQTZgIGwDw&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22omelet%20when%20riding%22&f=false

See "Rhea": http://books.google.com/books?id=G8tGVS-Ak6wC&pg=PA186&dq=%22rhea+rheas+are%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pHHAUsrkA-nRsATZ9YCQDw&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22rhea%20rheas%20are%22&f=false

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 24, 2013, 07:31:38 PMBut Quetzalcoatlus, Pachyrhinosaurus and Gorgosaurus all appeared during the Late Cretaceous. So I'm guessing the film is supposed to be set in the Late Cretaceous. I don't see any problem.

The problem isn't that there's grass, but that there are grasslands (To quote Holtz, "Grasses grow from the base of the leaf rather than the tip. They often have little bits of silica in them to persuade herbivores not to eat them. Recent discoveries in both Laurasia and Gondwana: the latter were found in titanosaur sauropod coprolites! So at least some Cretaceous dinosaurs were grass eaters. However, grasses seem to have been relatively rare in the Mesozoic, and did not form grasslands until much later. Ground cover in the later Mesozoic was a mixture of ferns and herbaceous angiosperms. So as far as we know, no dinosaur other than birds ever wandered in prairies or savannahs: these appear much later, long after the end of the Mesozoic": http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/lectures/104shadow.html ).

Thanks. Despite my thoughts on this strategy not making sense it must work for them otherwise the behavior wouldn't have evolved. I wonder how far away from the nest these decoys are laid though.

Simon

Saw the movie tonight.

Whoever got the idea to do the dialogue IN THAT WAY ought to be shown no mercy. 

Seriously.  That was as bad as a non-synchronized dubbed 1970s Oriental Kung Fu flick.

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 23, 2013, 07:22:23 PMI did like tihs comment " Do animals that lay eggs have a runt in the litter? " .

I really have no idea..I know when it comes to reptiles not all born are equal..most are destined to die which is the reason for the quantity of eggs produced...but bird-like animals ?

Based on what I've read (E.g. See the Palmer et al. quote AWA "Terminology" in this link: http://www.sibleyguides.com/2012/01/do-dwarf-birds-exist/ ), yes.

Quote from: Gwangi on December 30, 2013, 04:23:54 AMThanks.

Anytime.

Quoting Palmer et al. ( http://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-North-Carolina-William-Palmer/dp/0807821586/ref=la_B001KHKW14_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388344753&sr=1-1 ):
QuoteFarancia abacura is oviparous. Six clutches of eggs laid by captive females, 4 complements of oviducal eggs, and 3 clutches found in natural nests contained from 6 to 44 (mean 21.3) eggs. Lengths of 105 eggs measured shortly after oviposition by captive females ranged from 23.5 to 41.2 (mean 32.5) mm, widths from 15.8 to 23.1 (mean 19.3) mm. Total lengths of 104 hatchlings, not including a 165-mm male "runt," ranged from 181 to 239 (mean 219.0) mm.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: