News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scallenger

Can't wait to hear your review on the Cretaceous Cut!
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool ! Might have to run to walmart and pick one up.

scallenger

If you do, tell me if it was on sale at WalMart like it is on Amazon. If it is, I may just cave in and pick it up.

SBell

If you can, it was cheapest here at Costco by a couple dollars. It certainly was not much different than the regular format DVD.

scallenger

SBell

Quote from: scallenger on March 26, 2014, 12:52:37 AM
The Deluxe 3D BluRay?

That's the one--so many formats, most of which I won't both with. I don't have a 3D TV, and I would only watch the no-voice-over version anyway. Probably tomorrow.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on March 26, 2014, 12:18:10 AM
If you do, tell me if it was on sale at WalMart like it is on Amazon. If it is, I may just cave in and pick it up.

I'll let you know. I hope it's the same as Amazon or they might at least match it.

Balaur

Just got the one containing the Cretaceous Cut. Haven't seen it yet, but I'll return with a review of this new version. (A short one)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Balaur on March 31, 2014, 11:53:12 PM
Just got the one containing the Cretaceous Cut. Haven't seen it yet, but I'll return with a review of this new version. (A short one)

I for one will be waiting !

Balaur

Alright, so, I just finished watching it, and in my opinion, so much better than the final version! The only problem was that it didn't cut out the stupid pop songs, but they took so little time thar it's not that big of a deal. It still pauses to tell you what the dinosaur is, but no children read it.
I don't have a 3D player or TV, and it played it in 2D. Note: this is only on the blue-ray disc. And it does not have a loss in quality, both visually and with the sound. And, it does contain the credits, both opening and closing. And, it was just amazing watching it on my big flat screen TV. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Balaur on April 01, 2014, 02:03:46 AM
Alright, so, I just finished watching it, and in my opinion, so much better than the final version! The only problem was that it didn't cut out the stupid pop songs, but they took so little time thar it's not that big of a deal. It still pauses to tell you what the dinosaur is, but no children read it.
I don't have a 3D player or TV, and it played it in 2D. Note: this is only on the blue-ray disc. And it does not have a loss in quality, both visually and with the sound. And, it does contain the credits, both opening and closing. And, it was just amazing watching it on my big flat screen TV. ;)

Which pop songs did they leave in ? Did they have lyrics and all ?

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 01, 2014, 02:13:44 AM

All of them, and yes, everything. The only one that fit in well was Tusk by Fleetwood Mac.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Balaur on April 01, 2014, 02:14:40 AM

All of them, and yes, everything. The only one that fit in well was Tusk by Fleetwood Mac.

ugh. maybe i'll wait a bit longer to get it then.. :/

Hypsi

Aw man... so I didn't know there was a Cretaceous Cut on the Blu-Ray and I struggled through the entire movie with voiceovers! Kicking myself,  because that script was just awful. Visually it was what I wanted, however. And because I am a softy I got a little misty-eyed over Bulldust.

I'm glad I waited for the DVD because I could step away/fast-forward when I got truly fed up with the voiceovers... and those songs! Ewww.

I liked seeing all the variation between horns on the Pachyrhinosaurus herd. Wish they had explained it though!

Balaur

One of the cool things about the Cretaceous Cut is that I am able to focus on the animals behaviour, and I actually get to learn what their behaviour of biology is. For example, Alexornis gets cold, so he puffs up his feathers and huddles to keep warm. I liked that.

Takama

I just got the Deluxe Set today, and I watched the Cretaceous cut just like any other member on this forum would do.

I did not mind that they left the Pop songs in, what I really did not like is the Gorgosaurus Cutaway sequence that showed off its teeth and arms and claws, that did not make sense to me in context to the rest of the Dialogue free movie.

The same also goes toward the scene were the main characters fall into the river, and then it rewinds to show them falling into the river again.  Was it too much to edit those things out? I know why they did it in the original Cut , but come on, the characters are no longer talking.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Balaur on April 01, 2014, 02:14:40 AM

Tusk works because it sounds a bit prehistoric. Also it's a damn good song.

I'm surprised that they didn't try to use Walk the Dinosaur because if there's any movie that needs that song it's one that is literally a few letters away from the song name.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

SBell

I finally watched the Cretaceous Cut (I will not watch the cinema-version). At it's best, it plays out like a nature documentary. A voiced-over narrator might have been nice--some of the passages of time, for example, are a little uncertain, and there are a few moments where an explanation could be helpful. On the other hand, the kids were completely enthralled, so I don't think dialogue was necessary for that particular demo. And where needed, they just made up their own narration (MST3K strikes again). I have an odd feeling that there is at least one YouTube video where someone decided to do their own. If it isn't the voice of a British Shakespearean-trained actor, I'm not going there.

Visually it was great, although the river-rewind was a strange moment; at least they didn't do a lot of ramping (go slow then speed up to be more exciting--300 uses this to excess) but by doing it once, it sticks out like a third thumb.

As for the music--it was about on par with a good Discovery documentary. Nowhere near what the original WwD-BBC orchestra was able to do, but serviceable. A few places were a little bombastic, some moments were just a little too twee, but overall they suited the moods and tones well. Especially given that there was no narrator, thy worked to give an idea of the mood of the scene. The pop music doesn't fit the narrator-free version; to hear a human voice start singing was jarring; it felt like a moment out of Ice Age or something.

The story itself...too broad, too easily wrapped up? Honestly, it kind of felt like a Disney wrap-up, the way it hits every necessary beat on the first-draft list of creating a story. The small, weak-but-clever male defeats the largest male? Okay--until the next dozen challengers. Nature doesn't root for the underdog, even if it is a moment of viewer wish-fulfillment. Or maybe it explains the demise of the species--sensitive and small males weren't particularly strong sources of protection against evolving tyrannosaurs? ;)

Either way, it would have been preferable to watch it a days-in-the-life portrait in the vein of the Walking With series (or even the near-inspirations, like Dinosaur Planet or When Dinosaurs Roamed America). I was kind of left feeling like the massive amount of research, artwork and computer work were all done in the service of a show that was not worthy of them.

DinoToyForum

I recently caught up with this too, the version with dialogue. And there is a lot dialogue - that damn Alexornis just never shuts up! Nor the other characters, actually, who feel the need to give a running commentary on everything they do and see. The telepathic communication is weird and confusing. The story is unimaginative and predictable. Basically, the film is exactly what I expected. Glad I didn't go to the cinema to see it.

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 17, 2014, 09:18:21 AM
I recently caught up with this too, the version with dialogue. And there is a lot dialogue - that damn Alexornis just never shuts up! Nor the other characters, actually, who feel the need to give a running commentary on everything they do and see. The telepathic communication is weird and confusing. The story is unimaginative and predictable. Basically, the film is exactly what I expected. Glad I didn't go to the cinema to see it.

I still haven't watched the dialogue version, but the little clips the DVD forces on you make it look like the producers decided that they were paying the voice actors, dammit they were going to use their voices.

THe dialogue-free version, despite some issues, at least allows the viewer to just enjoy.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: