News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel, Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom toys - new for 2018

Started by Takama, December 23, 2017, 04:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 19, 2018, 03:23:32 AM
Wait, are they confirmed for blind bags? That's crummy. The one thing Hasbro did right with JW was giving us the option to buy the bag with a guarantee of getting every mini. Blind bags are the worst.
Confirmed products so far that contain the minis are the blind packs and the 3 figure packs. Hopefully they'll do a big bag with everything in it, they still have yet to shown everything in these 2 reveals so there's still a chance  :-[

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 19, 2018, 02:02:38 AM

I hope the T. Rex anatomy kit isn't indicative of the movie fate of that character....

I really like this line.  I have a few that I'll definitely get... and will try to get the others as the wallet permits.

I doubt it..at least not for Rexy.  It would however be VERY ...there isn't   good kid appropriate word here for what I want to say...full of gumption ?   To show a vivisected dinosaur  as part of the whole "animal cruelty" aspect.  But this is a borderline kid's film so I don't see it.   

I like how the set has buttons to push to make the lungs and guts move though..pretty old but neat concept.

John

I couldn't help but notice that the toy Pachyrhinosaurus is actually recognizable as such,unlike what appeared to be it's movie counterparts fleeing the erupting volcano in the trailer.I wonder if this was only due to the effects not being finished yet as is often seen with many trailers 6 months in advance or more for movies that have lots of CGI effects scenes?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on February 19, 2018, 07:29:56 AM
I couldn't help but notice that the toy Pachyrhinosaurus is actually recognizable as such,unlike what appeared to be it's movie counterparts fleeing the erupting volcano in the trailer.I wonder if this was only due to the effects not being finished yet as is often seen with many trailers 6 months in advance or more for movies that have lots of CGI effects scenes?

Possibly..it could also have been based on concept art before the film version was finished ala Kenner.  :/  I'll hope you are correct though.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2018, 07:34:07 AM
Quote from: John on February 19, 2018, 07:29:56 AM

Possibly..it could also have been based on concept art before the film version was finished ala Kenner.  :/  I'll hope you are correct though.
I remember the Super Bowl trailer for Jurassic World in 2015 had the shot shown from above when the pterosaurs were starting to descend down onto the fleeing tourists,but there were no special effects in it,just the people running.But in the movie when it came out that summer,that shot had swarms of both Pteranodons and Dimorphodons in it.So maybe (BIG maybe...) we have yet to truly see what the volcano scene is going to be like yet.Who knows,maybe we will get glimpses of something we aren't even thinking of right now (maybe something that is unexpectedly not just in the toy line (Protoceratops for instance)?Or something not so extinct again as the tie in site suggests (as in Ceratosaurus or Styracosaurus)?) What I do know that will be seen somewhere through the course of the movie is still enough for me to want to see it (I'm curious as to what the Allosaurus will get to do.) :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Flaffy

The Proceratosaurus is easily one of the more disappointing releases thus far...

Honestly what were the designers thinking.

Jose S.M.

Patrx

I can't tell if these toys are actually kind of awesome, or if they just look that way compared to Hasbro's dismal efforts from last time. Either way, I expect I'll be picking up a few of them!

Quote from: Flaffy on February 19, 2018, 03:06:02 PM
The Proceratosaurus is easily one of the more disappointing releases thus far...

I expect they were thinking "hey, if we just make a few little changes to one of the 'raptor toys, we can sell it as a totally different dinosaur!"

CityRaptor

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different."

Proceratosaurus was probably made with some Raptor DNA. Kinda like their Ceratosaurus has some obvious T.rex DNA...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 19, 2018, 03:30:17 PM
"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different.

Yes, yes, I recall that little gem of exposition. Still not a very impressive Proceratosaurus.

Faelrin

Honestly I don't think many of the Attack Pack figures are all that impressive compared to the rest of the line. Most of them lack paint apps (the Dilophosaurus and Gallimimus are clear evidence of that), but that's also going to make them cheaper, for good or bad. The sculpts on these could probably be better in some cases (Dilophosaurus, Gallimimus, this Proceratosaurus), but they could have been worse too. Most of them seem kind of weirdly disproportionate, so I wonder if that was intentional since these are essentially the budget figures of the line, and are probably aimed at younger kids too.

Also I read somewhere on the JP reddit that the mystery ceratopsian in the movie was confirmed to not be Pachyrhinosaurus? I have a feeling it was probably intended to be at some point, which is why there is a toy of it, but for some reason it was changed into whatever it is now. I'll try to dig for that post. Edit: Here is the link where someone mentions it was confirmed not to be Pachyrhinosaurus: https://www.reddit.com/r/JurassicPark/comments/7ybjys/jurassic_world_pachyrhinosaurus_toy/

Second Edit: I was just browsing Jurassic Outpost's Twitter, and saw this image here:

Some of these must be intended for the classic line such as that Dilophosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus. I do want them. That Dilophosaurus looks far better then the one(s) seen in the toy fair images. Also some raptor repaints, which I wonder if they are intended to be from JW or even one of the other movies. There's also a figure of Grant in there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

I like the Gallimimus and Stiggy, shame about their feet being too big (mostly on Stiggy, Galli has a bigger problem but it has to be movie accurate) and Baryonyx, Carnotaurus, Allosaurus and Metriacanthosarus all look nice, not really big on accuracy but they are nice looking toys. Metria's weird pose makes more sense posin a small figure fleeing from it. Stegosaurus and Triceratops are nice too and movie accurate but they look a bit static, its easier to make straight limbs I guess.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on February 19, 2018, 03:17:59 PM
I can't tell if these toys are actually kind of awesome, or if they just look that way compared to Hasbro's dismal efforts from last time. Either way, I expect I'll be picking up a few of them!

Quote from: Flaffy on February 19, 2018, 03:06:02 PM

I expect they were thinking "hey, if we just make a few little changes to one of the 'raptor toys, we can sell it as a totally different dinosaur!"

Is it me or are the hands correctly positioned ?

Jose S.M.

Some of the theropods look like they have their hands in a more accurate position than  the typical bunny hands (Metriacanthosaurus still has full bunny hands), I'm not sure to how degree are they accurate.

Zhuchengotyrant

-Zhuchengotyrant

Reptilia

Cool collective picture there! I notice there's a raptor resembling Delta... and the Triceratops is actually not in scale with the rest of the bunch, otherwise it would be at least as big as the Stegosaurus.

suspsy

I can't help but wonder how Hasbro is feeling about Mattel's JW products----which are clearly, decisively, undeniably superior to theirs. Are they jealous? Regretful? Kicking themselves over and over again?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on February 19, 2018, 09:39:42 PM
I can't help but wonder how Hasbro is feeling about Mattel's JW products----which are clearly, decisively, undeniably superior to theirs. Are they jealous? Regretful? Kicking themselves over and over again?
They have GI Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Wars, Marvel, and now Power Rangers.  I doubt they're too worried about losing the Jurassic franchise at this point.  I just hope that Mattel doesn't peter out on this after the first year or two like they ended up doing with the Ghostbusters franchise or Back to the Future.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 20, 2018, 01:39:29 AM
Quote from: suspsy on February 19, 2018, 09:39:42 PM
They have GI Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Wars, Marvel, and now Power Rangers.  I doubt they're too worried about losing the Jurassic franchise at this point.  I just hope that Mattel doesn't peter out on this after the first year or two like they ended up doing with the Ghostbusters franchise or Back to the Future.

I was thinking more in terms of artistry rather than business. I don't know who the Hasbro design team was for JW, but I'm assuming that they thought at the time that they had done a good job on sculpting the toys. Now the license is gone and the response from dinosaur fans towards Mattel's products is overwhelmingly positive. I thought JW was a terrible film and I have little hope for the sequel, but I am admittedly impressed by the toys too. They're obviously not in the same league as CollectA or Safari or Papo, but they're head, shoulders, and butt above Hasbro's stuff. So yeah, I do wonder if some of those Hasbro sculptors are now thinking that they could have done a better job.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

I'm aware the Stegosaurus should be smaller then the Triceratops, but I think it has always been the other way around in the films since TLW right?

I'm actually impressed at how many of the film's species are covered here, and done pretty film accurately for 'cheap' toys in sculpts and paintwork. Nearly everything, except the Apatosaurus (except for the mini fig), Brachiosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Parasaurolophus, (except for the mini fig), Corythosaurus, Compsognathus, the new ceratopsian in the new film (although the Pachyrhinosaurus was probably intended to be it before it was changed), and the Spinosaurus and Indominus rex, have toys from this Mattel line. Assuming I'm not missing any of the on screen creatures in these films. They even surprisingly did the Herrerasaurus based off the one from the JP Telltale game (shame they didn't do the Troodon though, that would have been great). Obviously Kenner and Hasbro have most of those 'exceptions' covered though. There's really enough out there to get a near complete collection of every creature in these films together, and for the most part, relatively in scale together, if some work is done hunting them down. Some of these were also only mentioned in the first movie and JW by name too (Metriacanthosaurus Proceratosaurus in the first film, and Suchomimus I think in JW).

I think this toyline is going to satisfy my JP collecting needs for a time to come because of that. I still wish to see some large sauropods done at some point, maybe if they aren't to scale, or are juvenile animals, but I suppose at least there's the JPIII Brachiosaurus in case there never is one again. I'm also sad there is no Parasaurolophus except for the mini figure, but thankfully Kenner's is still top notch. I need to pick that one asap all things considering.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.