You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PhilSauria's Paleo Plastic Collection

Started by PhilSauria, January 23, 2018, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

That's a very good-looking group of odd-looking mammals.

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the photos of comparative figures of prehistoric animals of different brands. The gomphotherium from what I see is not very big and Collecta's ceratosaurus looks immense.

As I say it is always a gift for the eyes these photographs.

PhilSauria

That's two video reviews / previews I've seen of the new Mojo figures now and the only one that still interests me (though not some other members it seems, that's fine; we all look for different things in these figures) is the Baryonyx - but that blinding colour and sloppy paint apps will have to go. Had an idle moment today so I did a quick speculative makeover in Photoshop on a screen cap from the JC video.

Jose S.M.

I agree, the Baryonyx is the nicest one and it's a good sculpt, but need a repaint badly, probably it's going to join the Psittacosaurus and Oviraptor by Schleich in the most repainted figure category.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 27, 2018, 12:25:41 PM
I agree, the Baryonyx is the nicest one and it's a good sculpt, but need a repaint badly, probably it's going to join the Psittacosaurus and Oviraptor by Schleich in the most repainted figure category.

The same can be said of the giganotosaurus and the deinonychus of Mojo. The sculptures are excellent the only problem they have is their painting. Repainted as the baryonyx give these figures an outstanding overall appearance.

PhilSauria

Well, after some consideration, and exasperation, I'm out! (for a while) The crazy shipping prices, not to mention the prices being asked for some older figures, if you can even find them, has finally worn me down. Plus a great proportion of the Mattels never made it here to Australia and we have yet to seen any of the new Mojo or Papo 2018 releases available as yet. So I'll be swearing off Dinosaur figure collecting until (or if!) the 2019 releases make it down here.
Instead I'll be throwing what money I have at the expansion of my dormant extant animal collection, which at this time numbers about two dozen. Say what you will about their Paleo figures (and people do) Schleich make some pretty good wild animals, although Collecta and Safari Ltd are the ones to beat.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: PhilSauria on September 16, 2018, 10:30:18 AM
Well, after some consideration, and exasperation, I'm out! (for a while) The crazy shipping prices, not to mention the prices being asked for some older figures, if you can even find them, has finally worn me down. Plus a great proportion of the Mattels never made it here to Australia and we have yet to seen any of the new Mojo or Papo 2018 releases available as yet. So I'll be swearing off Dinosaur figure collecting until (or if!) the 2019 releases make it down here.
Instead I'll be throwing what money I have at the expansion of my dormant extant animal collection, which at this time numbers about two dozen. Say what you will about their Paleo figures (and people do) Schleich make some pretty good wild animals, although Collecta and Safari Ltd are the ones to beat.

..well, it's too bad you're doing a "pause" from your paleo-collection  :-\  : I really like watching your thread.  8)
I hope you'll return soon to show new pictures  ^-^

(P.S. I'm with you about Schleich extant animals  ;) )

ceratopsian

I'm sorry to hear you are taking a break.  I hope it's not too prolonged - I enjoy your thread and comments.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: PhilSauria on September 16, 2018, 10:30:18 AM

Hi Phil,

I feel for ya, sorry to hear, but I understand. I hope you find away back to the dinosaurs, but indeed, I also am torn between dinos, recent animals (and - totally differnt - Lego). You know, if you ever need help getting this or that figure over the oceans, just gimme a call ;)

Libraraptor

Sorry to hear that someone is worn down partly because of high shipping prices.  I hope you find a Way back to collecting and we'll be seeing you around here again!

Halichoeres

Your photos will be missed! One thing to keep in mind; if the AAoD line ever picks back up, I bet you would be able to get ahold of lots of things from other countries by trading them with folks. After all it is pretty expensive to ship FROM Australia, too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Hi Phil,
So sorry to hear that you have found yourself in this spot :-\
But I do understand and know all too well about the frustrations of not being able to get and afford all the new figures that are now flooding the market. Its a cruel thing to see and want something, but the cost and difficulty of acquiring them is just too much. I am currently experiencing a very similar phase in my collecting this year, which is very difficult to keep at bay some days.
I do hope that this is temporary, and that you will still be around and be part of this forum community.

One way that I am coping with this phase is to focus my finance and energy into sculpting my own figures ;D I found that this helped me and kept me engage in the hobby. Who knows, you may also find this helpful, so I am hoping that you will keep up  with your sculpting at lest.
Good luck, you will be miss!

Boki

Shonisaurus

Phil is wiser to save and not buy all the figures of the different brands of dinosaur toys and prehistoric animals that come out in the market.

For your part it is a wise decision.

Jose S.M.

I sympathize with your decision Phil, as I'm in a similar spot, I will probably not get anything more than the Favorites that are coming my way now, until next year and probably will be focusing on Safari  figures that are more easily available and at cheaper shipping costs for me.

Nimravus

Hi Phil,
Sorry to hear that. After your break you will be back with renovated energy! The collection of extant animals is worth as well, though!

PhilSauria

Collection update #17

These two arrived last week - and how could you not be impressed and enthused by the quality of this pair? The craftsmanship that has gone into the sculpts makes some of the older figures in my collection look distinctly ordinary, to the point where I feel like boxing some off display to give more space and prominence to the better quality figures such as these.

This guy already looked majestic in photos but it is even more impressive standing on the desk in front of you.

Also caught up with this one yesterday when I was surprised to see a store that had something other than Schleich! I know that this figure has its detractors but I like it, the colour scheme doesn't bother me and I like the ragged sail, glossy lifelike eye and how sharp are those teeth! Not sure how they got past the safety checks for kid's toys.

There are enough ancient Elephants on my shelves now to produce an image showing the variations that this species took along the evolutionary road to the animals we see today.

I have given up even searching for older paleo figures due to the ongoing frustration in terms of availability, prices listed and increasingly insane and outrageous shipping costs but as there are so many interesting new releases lined up and still to come I don't think that my wallet will be putting on weight any time soon!

RobinGoodfellow

First, welcome back.  ^-^
About the Collecta Dimetrodon,  in my opinion it has a great sculpt (but a bizarre color scheme).. that's all..
The Collecta figure fits perfectly the Scott Hartman' new skeletal restoration.
Ideal piece for a repaint. ;)
:)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria I congratulate you on having already on your shelves three outstanding figures of Papo, Collecta and Eofauna. The palaeoloxodon of Eofauna, the quetzalcoatlus of Papo and the dimetrodon of Collecta fascinate me from the collector's point of view.

They look more like resin than PVC and I do not exaggerate.

Bokisaurus

Wonderful new additions! I actually have the same exact two on order :))
Great to see you back, cheers!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: