News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. Softmodels

Started by Bokisaurus, July 28, 2012, 03:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 18, 2015, 05:00:36 AM
Easily the most realistic dimetrodon I've seen,  and the only accurate one in this size range. It bothers me to no end when companies produce dimetrodon with scales, it should have smooth skin like this one shows. As for the sail, there are a number of dimetrodon species and a number of different sail shapes, from the sail the species can likely be found.

I know. I was just commenting on what I like aesthetically. ^-^ 
Isn't Carnegie's accurate? It doesn't have scales either. It has textured skin like this one (which is not smooth). It's just a little more pronounced on Carnegie's. I believe Carnegie's also has the correct 5 digits of toes on the front and back feet. Although like this one's, it is a little difficult to see the individual toes real well. They're both kind of blobby. Hehe!

John

Easily the most realistic dimetrodon I've seen,  and the only accurate one in this size range. It bothers me to no end when companies produce dimetrodon with scales, it should have smooth skin like this one shows. As for the sail, there are a number of dimetrodon species and a number of different sail shapes, from the sail the species can likely be found.
I can tell you by just a glance that this is Dimetrodon limbatus.A very nice one too.This model is one of the best of that genus I've ever seen. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 18, 2015, 06:57:24 AM

I know. I was just commenting on what I like aesthetically. ^-^ 
Isn't Carnegie's accurate? It doesn't have scales either. It has textured skin like this one (which is not smooth). It's just a little more pronounced on Carnegie's. I believe Carnegie's also has the correct 5 digits of toes on the front and back feet. Although like this one's, it is a little difficult to see the individual toes real well. They're both kind of blobby. Hehe!
The Carnegie one from 2001 is still accurate.The difference is the species represented.The Carnegie one (both original from 1989 and 2001 remake) are Dimetrodon grandis and this new Favorite Co. one is D. limbatus. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

stargatedalek

Admittedly it has been a while since I saw the Carnegie in person,  but it would seem you are correct! I may just have to pick that one up after all ;)
The Invicta dimetrodon is also very nice and has held up well accuracy wise.

Admittedly I'm pretty excited about the archelon, I hope it will be a similar size to the dimetrodon.

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 18, 2015, 07:10:47 AM
Admittedly it has been a while since I saw the Carnegie in person,  but it would seem you are correct! I may just have to pick that one up after all ;)
The Invicta dimetrodon is also very nice and has held up well accuracy wise.

Admittedly I'm pretty excited about the archelon, I hope it will be a similar size to the dimetrodon.

Yes,the sculptor for Invicta gave a tremendous amount of fine detail to that Dimetrodon,to a level that only Kaiyodo has been able to match in such a small size.

And you are certainly not alone in wanting that Archelon. ;D

sauroid

sa what is Papo's Dimetrodon supposed to be? just a generic one? what do you guys think?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

:D Can't wait for this Dimetrodon! Tokugawa san never disappoints.

John

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 18, 2015, 08:50:25 AM
:D Can't wait for this Dimetrodon! Tokugawa san never disappoints.
And this time it won't be an exclusive that's nearly impossible to get a hold of. ;D

Quote from: sauroid on February 18, 2015, 08:45:45 AM
sa what is Papo's Dimetrodon supposed to be? just a generic one? what do you guys think?
The Papo one looks like it's based on Dimetrodon grandis to me. :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Nebuloid

Finally ! And it doesn't dissapoint, will probably buy several !

Dobber

Question, was the Trcic t-rex that favorite released a few years ago a limited number release? I ask because HobbyLinkJapan has the Favorite dinosaurs for sale.....though most are back-ordered or still pre-order. I was lucky enough to get the red desk-top Rex for like $30 from HLJ but the Trcic Rex keeps getting pushed back and it's been on order since Sept. I'm thinking HLJ just got the favorite catalog and just put everything up for sale without checked Jh to see if they could get anymore.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Roselaar

Wow, that's one awesome Dimetrodon model! Dimetrodon sure is a creature most companies seem to do right by. Not surprised Favorite is among them.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 18, 2015, 07:10:47 AM
Admittedly it has been a while since I saw the Carnegie in person, but it would seem you are correct! I may just have to pick that one up after all. ;)

The only problem with the Carnegie Dimetrodon is the paint application can be a bit sloppy, especially in more recent figures. I got mine when it first came out and the paint job was pretty decent.
Here's a pretty good one to refresh your memory...

But when you do pick one up, you might consider a repaint. These two are by our very own Copper, and I think they're stunning! The first replicates the design used in Walking With Monsters...

The sculpt is really nice to begin with. But when you have a great paint job, it really becomes quite an outstanding little figure! :D

OK, that's all. Back to the topic of the Favorite Dimetrodon. I definitely do like it and will be getting one for sure. Dimetrodon has always been my favorite Permian "monster" ever since I was a kid, when I thought he was a really cool dinosaur. ;D

sauroid

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 18, 2015, 09:40:23 PM

OK, that's all. Back to the topic of the Favorite Dimetrodon. I definitely do like it and will be getting one for sure. Dimetrodon has always been my favorite Permian "monster" ever since I was a kid, when I thought he was a really cool dinosaur. ;D

lucky to have two Carnegie Dimetrodon and i hope to have one repainted like this one someday.
it's true that preschool kids call all prehistoric reptiles dinos, i was one of them.

Daspletodave

Love the Favorite Dimetrodon. I have the Carnegie version, but the sail is starting to warp, which takes away from the visual appeal of the model.

ProSauropod

Outstanding repaints - "resin-worthy" !  I especially like the idea of sail-as-a-butterfly-wing motif; I'm going to borrow that if I ever get around to doing mine.  Hmmmm - how would that work on a Spinosaurus ?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Daspletodave on February 22, 2015, 02:57:31 PM
Love the Favorite Dimetrodon. I have the Carnegie version, but the sail is starting to warp, which takes away from the visual appeal of the model.

That's odd..mine seems pretty firm. Isn't Dimetrodon's sail a lot more flexible than say Spinosaurus's..spine? Some wiggle as it walked seemed plausible to me.

Quote from: ProSauropod on February 22, 2015, 05:42:35 PM
Outstanding repaints - "resin-worthy" !  I especially like the idea of sail-as-a-butterfly-wing motif; I'm going to borrow that if I ever get around to doing mine.  Hmmmm - how would that work on a Spinosaurus ?

The coloration would work well I bet..though the similarities to Dimetrodon's sail and a butterfly's wing are closer than Spinosaurus's spine.

Takama

Blade-of-the-Moon

Reminds me of "Bruce" from Finding Nemo..lol

It's better than the WS figure..but it still looks a whole like just a Great White. As Meg is normally portrayed as such there needs to be something to show scale.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: