You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

Avery nicely made Triceratops ( with a 'Primitive Mothra larvae' ) and a poor T-rex being eaten ( by 'Cretaceous King Ghidorah' ) :

From the set 'Godzilla special effects encyclopedia'  ( ゴジラ特撮大百科  ) :

Done on a Godzila based film in 2005 by Iwakura ( イワクラ )

CityRaptor

Oooh, I used to have these. Neat little figures, indeed.  They are also actually from a Mothra film. No Godzilla at all in that one.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 27, 2020, 09:30:38 AM
And these are all three :
They're moving in herds. They do move in herds.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 25, 2020, 11:43:50 AM
Snip

Looks like a three way fight.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 24, 2020, 05:16:43 AM
What a horrible specimen to put in my thread -
OK, You've made your point.
now, you can please delete it.
Thank you.

Put it into some spoiler tags for archive purposes, so that people do not have to wonder what kind of horrible thing was posted.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

LOL ... I use the term 'Godzila' as a general name for Japanese monsters - which I know little about ...  :)
And the 'Please Don't Quote Pictures' rule in the header also  applies here ...  ^-^ ^-^

BrontoScorpio

A gigantic 91 cm several kg Tsukuda Hobby JP 1/12 T-rex filled my living room and quickly dominated all others :

This enormous beast even has a close relative that is said to be 1/10 - but, seeing its measurements, I'm not even sure it is bigger,
It is less nicer , that's for sure - so I stick to the 1/12 version.

Here's a comparison shot :

BrontoScorpio

One of my new aq. which I have been searching for long -

A samll boxed T-rex - and this is what you see when you flip over the box :

The other side :

A T-rex standing over a dead Triceratops.
It was the last Box I needed to complete my set of

GEIBUNSHA DIORAMASAURUS set of 8 figures by Kazunari Araki, released in 2002 :

Here you can see - I have taken out the Booklet from each one of the 8 boxes :

And this was how it was sold - at bookstores in the format of a booklet with a few pages and a thick box.
It used to cost about 9$ each - but is long out of production.

Inside each Booklet you can see description of all 7 others :

1. Tyrannosaurus
2. Jovaria
3. Suchomimus
4. Futabasaurus
5. Ankylosaurus
6. Triceratops
7. Seismosaurus
8. Pteranodon

Booklets also include many colorful evolutional diagrams, such as this :

and each have several pictures to demonstrate the work of Araki Kazunari .

Here's a bunch :

ceratopsian

It's a interesting and handsome set.  Well done on completing it!

BrontoScorpio

A Box in the mail with an interesting combination of items from the land of the rising sun :

1. Kokoro Maiasaura :
The Kokoro ( ココロ ) company is specialized in giant robotics for large fairs :

For the UNESCO Village Great Dinosaur Exploration Museum in Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture
( 惜しまれつつ閉館した埼玉県所沢のユネスコ村大恐竜探検館 )

they made a hollow Vinyl set as shown :

2. Kaiyodo Vinyl 1/35 Gogrosaurus :
This is done since before the DINOLAND series - sometimes durring the 80's - as described here in the old Catalog sheet :

3. Triceratops from the Tokyo 'National sceince museumsouvenir shop exclusive Metal Dinosaurs set :
The model is made in the form of the old Triceratops reconstruction model & painting shown in the museum :

4. Mapusaurus from  the 2009 Dinosaur Exhibition of the unknown southern hemisphere continent of Gondwana :

I learned they actually had 2 rather similar exhibitions, hence the different brochures :

The Mapusaurus belong to a set of three that also included Criolophosaurus & Nigersaurus and was sold at Gachpone ( ガチャポン ) machines :

ceratopsian

I really like the Maiasaura. Thanks for showing it, I wasn't familiar with this model.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 04, 2020, 02:27:30 PM
I really like the Maiasaura. Thanks for showing it, I wasn't familiar with this model.
Thanks, I try to bring not 'every day' items.

BrontoScorpio

Last for this package is a small Resin Humpback whale from the Kaiyodo AQUALAND set.
I don't collect above K/T animals - But I do make a small exception with whales.
Lets face it - After all, they are a kind of Dinosaurs themselves ...

When Shinobu Matsumura is my favorite artist and AQUALAND being the cousin set for my favorite DINOLAND -I just had to have it.

This is a small glimps of the set :

BrontoScorpio

Patience had paid off - and my 'Dawn of the Dinosaurs' breeding pair has now got an offspring - a newly hatched baby Frenguellisaurus :

It calls for its parents :

Just one of a large set of minis :

The whole clan has gather round in protection ( probably would gladly eat it - in real life ... ) -

BrontoScorpio

Two very large packages from the US  - just before the Pandemic :

ONE :

Inside : Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1/20 Tyrannosaurus Type I by Shinobu Matsumura :

This Type I is much rare then the common Type II, that had quickly replaced it, and is standing upright.
But I like this one better.

Also received the 1/35 Type I by Shinobu Matsumura :

In contrast to the 1/20  - the 1/35 Type I was not taken out so quickly of production and is still widely available.
more over, it is a far inferior design to the 1/35 Type II, Which is one of the best ever T-rex models -
what makes the 1/35 Type II one of the most rare and expensive DINOLANDs.

TWO :

Inside : Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1/20 Brachiosaurus by Shinobu Matsumura :

I quickly assembled all part, with a 10 seconds application of a hair drier  and with the help of a special she someone ... :

Then I relized the tail is forewarding to the upposite side - what makes it difficult to put the figure close to the wall - so I applied the hair drier once more ando detached the tail :

Only after I sent her to return the hair drier to the neighbour- I realized I have not yet taken pictures -
so there - I got pictures without the tail ...

She used to help me with all my big parcels :

But, sadly, I had to put her to sleep 4 weeks ago .

so does my cat no longer with me , after a long illness:

But, I guess, that's life...

ceratopsian

Yes, it's life. But pets leave a big hole in our lives when they die.

BrontoScorpio

Yes they are.
This small female dog has been my loyal companion, both at home and in the office, for the last 13.5 years.

BrontoScorpio

A lonely sad looking baby Anchiceratops ( Kaiyodo DINOLAND ) is looking for Momi :

You ain't find it here :

Keep looking.
Found at last :

My model is a kit used to be sold in a box long ago :

But, last year it was re-make for the  Wonder Festival Winter 2019  :

As part of some 'deformed' line called Kaiyodo DINOLAND bean model ( マメモデル / ごま恐竜 ) .
It is now sold and available as a painting kit .

Here's a nice painting example :

sauroid

very cool. the paint of the last fig looks familiar tho. where have i seen that before. (i think one of the Kaiyodo dinotales trike)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BrontoScorpio

Yes, you are right - How come I didn't notice it - dinotales 1 trike.
And the T-rex is also from dinotales 1.
There's many color schemes there to draw ideas from.
Thanks

BrontoScorpio

Last few months due to the Corona-Virus happened 2 things :
- Some items can not be bought or shipped, or stuck somewhere in the mail
- I was forced to spend more time at home or even working from home.
As a result - I got some spare time I didn't think I get in the foreseen future -
So, what better way there is, to spend your spare time, than building dinosaurs ? ...

I got some model kits the past year - and I couldn't believe I am really going to build them -
I thought they will hang over a decade or so in my warehouse before I end up selling them away, like it usually happens ...

Enough of the long introduction - let the build-up commence ...
I started with the most recent one :

Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1/20 Styracosaurus by Kazunari Araki :

First of all, the step I dread most of all - to count the inventory - If a part is missing - you are so screwed ... :

Now, for the heavy lifting - cutting and chopping away all spare and excess material :

For putting it all together, you need to take a strategic decision - use Putty or glue.
I saw I don't have any gaps between the parts - so I went for the glue - of the  double tube kind :

and the other side:

Now, all there is left is to make it alive with some colors.
But this is difficult - not the actual coloring, but the decision - what color scheme to choose.
for the meantime, I leave it to the next global disaster ...

About this specific model - it always puzzled me - of this line of 1/20 Vinyls :
I could never find it online in all the known Kaiyodo mid 90's catalogs.
There always the Trike, Chasmosaurus and Anchiceratops - no mentioning of the Styracosaurus.

Initially I found it in an old Araki models book :

Then I looked at the Araki model kit guide :

And found it among 3 other very old models :

So, it must be of an earlier period.
Finally I got a hold of an 88' old Catalog :

And there it was - aligned with entirely different models than you might have thought -
and that settles it - the other Ceratops are of the mid 90's and this one is from the mid 80's :

CityRaptor

Due to the presence of Tricera Ranger I assume that the book was released in 1992 or 1993. I know that several Kaiyodos appear in the series, mostly as toys.  I wonder if the entry on the Kaiyodo Allosaurus mentions that it appears in the series as a "real" dinosaur.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

...I think one might notice a slight cynicism in your tone .. maybe just a hint ...
But if you refer to the 'Gorgosaurus' - it really is a terrible model - although it has its beauty as a vintage item.

Just in conclusion for the previous post :
I saw a Resin version of that Styracosaurus, said to have been exhibited on an old 'One fest', auctioned for about 1000$,
If anyone want it realy realy bad ... :

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: