You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

No cynism meant to be in my post. But yeah, the Kaiyodo Allosaurus ( not the Gorgosaurus in your previous post, although that looks familiar, too ) did show up in Zyuranger, being used as an enraged Dinosaur parent who killed the little jerk who smashed her eggs. ( Spoiler: That did not end well ). Also just checked: That one was sculpted by Shinobu Matsumura, not Araki. Other Kaiyodos, among others, were however used as toys of a dinosaur loving kid.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 21, 2020, 02:54:33 PM
... Also just checked: That one was sculpted by Shinobu Matsumura, not Araki.
I admit I did not understand the other parts of your comment.
As for the part I quoted - It seems just argumentative of your part - one needs to just take a quick look to immediately recognize Araki's style.
I have collected several samples from the web - in the picture below, you can follow these links, among others :

1. page dedicated to works by Araki.
2. The 1/20 Styracosaurus page
3. the museum for arakis works
4. The old dino forum
5. The DINOLAND reference Thread
6. postsaurischian - always nice to look at

BrontoScorpio

Next, for my CoronaVirus buildups is the Takeuchi SHINZEN ( 竹内 しんぜんさん ) sleeping juvenile Tyrannosaurus T-rex ( 2015 )  :

The Kit consists of one main big part, the head , two legs at knee level and two tiny arms :

The head part needed considerable sanding to fit the neck :

The tail is very long and slender, as recent researches show juvenile T-rex were quite slender and agile and used to give the hunting pack its speed edge.
I can also add that it can be bend a litle - what hints the material is a Resin mixed with some Poly :

The leg used for standing needs to be attached at a precise angle - so the model could stand just on one leg without losing its balance -
Surprisingly - this stage went neatly :

The two tiny arms were difficult - both sanding and glueing :

As I said in previous post - the coloring will need to be postponed to the next global outbreak -
But, here's a colored sample :

You can just notice the fine details of the feathers and the eye lids closed, as the youngster sleeps like a big bird :

You can see details about the shinzen art of dinosaurs sculps at an old post of mine .
Mostly about his book of ' How to build a Dinosaur '  :

- some more about this model.
- some pictures at Museeo.
- SHINZEN on Twitter.

Libraraptor

ceratopsian

Something else I wasn't familiar with - thanks!  Once seen, never forgotten.  Mind you, I would be quite scared that a puff of wind (e.g. closing the door of the room) might blow him over!

libersaurus

Ori - I've also picked up this Shinzen kit! Have had a slow time putting it together, tho - the end of the tail was broken during shipment and I'm struggling with the head. Also, I am fairly convinced I need to 'pin' the standing foot into the leg (ie. drill holes in each adjoining piece to insert a small stabilizing rod), though it appears you did not. Yours seems stable and secure with only glue??

BrontoScorpio

I would not recommand drilling those holes.
I don't think the Polly mixture added to the resin is suited for drilling.
also the two parts are rather narrow - for a hole to come inside.
The drilling could also alter the angle in which the two parts attached - and even just a small modification could cause the statue lose out of balance.
The glue has no 'incentive' to break - as the statue is perfectly balanced - so there is no sidewize vector to break it.
Try glueing - and if that fails, for some reason ...  - you could always move to the drilling solution.

SidB

Wow, just so neat and so very bird-like. I love how you've painted the muzzle.

BrontoScorpio

LOL ... sadly, mine is still unpainted. The colored one is SHINZEN's.

SidB

libersaurus

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 24, 2020, 11:41:34 AM
I would not recommand drilling those holes.

Thanks for clarifying. I have foregone the pinning and just glued everything. An incredible feat of balance!
Just a bit of seam work then I'll be ready to prime coat. I'm planning to paint it as a 'Tyrant Lizard Kingfisher' after my son's favorite bird.

Halichoeres

That Shinzen rex really is an impressive sculpt. I've wanted to get his Spinosaurus (mostly for the sake of the gar), but I haven't been able to find it for sale.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 12, 2020, 02:11:51 PM
That's a very good spot, well done. I looked through DeMarco's Dinosauriana and I couldn't find any glyptodonts resembling this one. Puzzling.

Thanks again.
Regarding this Glyptodon :

I have finally solved its origin :
It was made in the mid 90's in Japan by an istitue called あおむらさきプロダクト ( Blue-violet/Aomurasaki products ).

The company seemed to have been focused on Paleonthological critures other than dinosaurs ( Paleozoic & megaFauna ).

Here are few examples :

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 25, 2020, 06:23:21 PM
That Shinzen rex really is an impressive sculpt.

I've wanted to get his Spinosaurus (mostly for the sake of the gar), but I haven't been able to find it for sale.
It was offered on YAJ three years ago ( picture is from the actual sale ).

But, it seems rather odd to spend 146000 Y ( 1400$ ) on such a huge statue just for the sake of the gar ...

BrontoScorpio

Just a small intermission from my usual 'vintage' stuff, which doesn't seem to draw too much attention here :

This Time, the Lego exhibition "the art of the brick" brings "the kingdom of dinosaurs" - one of the most popular dinosaur exhibition in the world,
consisting of over ten million Lego blocks, which raise the dinosaurs to full size.

The exhibition is spread over 5,000 square meters and features over fifty different dinosaur exhibits, in a space designed as a tropical forest,
with an original soundtrack in the background that simulates a dream jungle experience.

What sets this exhibition apart is its creativity, which is truly admirable.
All the exhibits are made of Lego stones - 10 million parts. Wow!

Next to each exhibit there is a sign with a word:

- how many Lego stones make up the work,
- how many work opinions were invested in it,
- how many people participated in the work,
- what is its weight,
- and of course - the name of the dinosaur.

I would like to point out that although the place was crowded with parents and children, everyone made sure to wear masks (of the required age) and distance as requested.

Here are some pictures we took :

Two big ones :

The poor gift shop - not that I see anything of interest in here :

BrontoScorpio

Next old model kit is ALUCARD ( makinomodels ) アルカード(マキノモケイ) 1/20 Oviraptor from the mid 90's :

In this case, model consists of only 2 parts, so assembing should have been easy ...

But, somehow, finding the right balance and angle between all 4 limbs, has proven to be more difficult than initially seemed :

But, eventually it is done and it can join it's big brother :

There are some more to this family :

Last exhibited on 2002 :

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 26, 2020, 10:16:36 AM
Just a small intermission from my usual 'vintage' stuff, which doesn't seem to draw too much attention here :

I'm a follower about your thread; maybe I don't post here so much but I'm always a reader.
Your japanese vintage stuff is really interesting.
I'm totally a disaster to find items on Yahoo or others japan websites.. :-[

ceratopsian

My thread, though different in subject matter, is much the same as yours in terms of frequency of comments. People don't say that much. But looking at the figures for the number of views indicates a generally healthy footfall.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 25, 2020, 06:53:02 PM

But, it seems rather odd to spend 146000 Y ( 1400$ ) on such a huge statue just for the sake of the gar ...

Yeah, it would be too much. I remember that listing, and I didn't go for it precisely because I couldn't afford it.

I'm glad you were able to find the source of that Glyptodon! And thanks for sharing the information on the rest of the line. That's a really interesting taxon assortment, especially the Paleozoic ones. I'm going to have to be on the lookout for that filter-feeding placoderm.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

If only I had been collecting in 2002!  The resting and standing pair of Ouranosaurus (?) in your exhibition or fair photo would have been just up
my street.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: