You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Those are really weird cool criatures. I think I didn't know about them, neither of the book .... but I realised I did see the documentaries long time ago, are those the same criatures?

Libraraptor

I think those are the same creatures as in the book. I was stunned to see there are models of those.

Grimbeard

These "The future is wild" look fantastic! The series was my introduction into the concept of speculative evolutions and many of their designs are still incredibly creative while maintaining some sense of plausibility.

From what I remeber, speculative evolution is (or was?) a quite popular topic in Japan, I think there even was a short stop-motion series based on Douglas Dixons "After Man" book. I wonder if there are figures of these as well.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Grimbeard on March 06, 2022, 12:54:57 PM
... based on Douglas Dixons "After Man" book. I wonder if there are figures of these as well.
So, you didn't bother scrolling up a bit ...

BrontoScorpio

The Next bunch of Resin Kits were also received not recently ( At the time - I did not know how to identify them )  :

The 'JRC Resin Garage Kit' ( JRC レジンガレージキット )  Set ( sometimes refered to as 'JRC Animal Miniature' - JRC 動物 ミニチュア )
of 'World rare beast series' ( 世界の珍獣 シリーズ )
Produced by 'Horsetail Resin Craft Research Institute' Co., Ltd. ( 土筆レジンクラフト研究所 (株)  )

The 3 Animals made are  :

1. Sea otter  ( ラッコ )
2. platypus  ( カモノハシ )
3. kiwi  ( キーウィ )

Those Kits are also very old and there's no easy attachment cavities :

After assembling :

Some examples from the Net :

BrontoScorpio

Really the last of assorted resin kit is the only one not from JAPAN :
I got it from a seller in the US.

I never seen a Kit so delicate - the square in the middle holds the two back 'Raptor' claws.
The sharp tiny teeth and the thin spikes on the back of the neck must be a chalange to cast :

Recruiting the best delicate abilities I could gather - I got this one finally done :
I don't know what it is - and who is the maker.
It seems some kind of allosaurid (?)  :

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

BrontoScorpio

Yes, you are right - It does have quite few similar attributes.
Thanks.
I hope some day  I'll find the exact match.

- A later addition :
As it wasn't exactly the same posture as my model - I did not take too much care - but much later on I encountered a picture and then it strikes me -
It is the Yangchuanosaurus, 1:40. Model by Galileo Hernandez of Geene models.
Just is a different Yangchuanosaurus - Can be seen here taken out of a scene model
Galileo's herd of Shunosaurus along with a Huayangosaurus, being followed by 3 Yangchuanosaurus
there are 3 different kinds of them - and mine seems to be the most eager ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to sum up This section of Kits - A partial collection of those kits :

'BEFORE' :

'AFTER'  :

And everybody on the shelf :

From a bit far :

BrontoScorpio

just so to wrap it up and tied the knot around this 'big assorted parcel' I was talking about earlier - Here's the rest of it :

- A museum metal golden Brachiosaurus - which I will add down at the 'Metal Dinos section'.
- A Dino kingdom 2012 expo blue T-shirt.
- A couple of Favorite Saurolophuses - you can never have to many of those ... :)
- A rare black variant of the favorite soft T-rex.
- Some colorful rubber 'Eraser' dinos ( 恐竜 消しゴム )  bought long ago at some dino expo.
- A beautiful pre-made Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1/20 Triceratops ( Araki ).
- Some 'Fukui Museum' ( 福井県立恐竜博物館  ) souvenirs :

- An astonishly justify accurate knock off for the old Araki 1/20 Stegosaurus :

I really do think displaying them together as father & son :

And to finalize - a few chocolate box to join the my growing collection of dino chocolate boxes :

- Fukui museum
- Discover Dinosaurs
- Age of Dinosaurs
- Chcola saurs

From above :

BrontoScorpio

Finished with displaying acquizitions of miscellaneous kits - saved my favourits last : The Kaiyodo Kits.

First, Kaiyodo Saichania 1/20 Resin Garage kit by Araki from 1993 limited for 50 items or less sold at Tokyu Hands at Nagoya Station ( 東急ハンズには - 名古屋駅 ).

The garage kit looks like that :

However, I received it already pretty much made :

Just some touchups - and it's ready :

When professionally painted at the Nagoya store ( for the modest price of 1,200$ )  :

This statue was introduced on many Japanese dinosaur books, Here are few examples :

- Top center :

- Bottom Right :

- Bottom Left :

BrontoScorpio

Last are my absolute favorites , what I personaly consider 'the cream of the crop', the jewel in the crown, what I desire most :

The first dinosaur Resin Kits collection from Kaiyodo - the 'Dinosaur Museum Series' ( 海洋堂 恐竜博物館シリーズ ) :

The year 1984 was the 'Cambrian explosion' for the Japanese dinosaur model world, with the announcement of Kaiyodo about the release of the dinosaur series.

Those appeared in the Magazine "Artpla" of "Kaiyodo"  - And "Hobby Japan" magazine made a big dinosaur special feature.

From that year on Kaiyodo began releasing the "Dinosaur Museum Series" of a resin kits with main modeling artists Araki Kazunari.

One book that illustrations from seems to have had a great influence on Kaiyodo's dinosaurs was "THE DINOSAURS"  by American illustrator William Stout :

The Kaiyodo approached Stout for approval - and got a personal dedication :

The prototype masters other than Araki were mainly monster modeling people, so there are a lot of freewheeling style dinosaurs.
The Stout style dinosaurs were mixed with dinosaurs that resembles those of old picture books -  and dinosaurs that seem as were about to spit fire :

From 1984 on more Kits were created - adding more and more items to each Catalog :

Those Kits, at that time, boasted to be super detailed - unique to the garage kit and were expensive and time-consuming to complete.

Allready on 1988 list of items was all but complete

Long ago since gone from the market - but can still be seen in the Kaiyodo Museum :

Imported and introduced in the USA by Don Glut.From his personal collection :

Lanthanotus

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on March 11, 2022, 03:48:13 PM

Long ago since gone from the market - but can still be seen in the Kaiyodo Museum :

[....]

That Stegosaurus looks exactly like the Horizon Stegosaurus.

BrontoScorpio

Yes, indeed, that has also crossed my mind.
But, it is Resin ( not hollow Vinyl ) - and I think is larger.

BrontoScorpio

First in this bunch I acquired lately, of Kaiyodo Resin Kits 'Dinosaur Museum Series'  collection :

Kaiyodo 1/35 Trachodon ( ラコドン ) Resin Garage Kit created by  Hitoshi Hayami ( 速水 仁司 ).

Some assembly work is now in order :

Everything about this creature screams 'Vintage' ...
- even the name itself that is no longer in use.
- and also, unfortunately the price ...

Something with this pose is so 'mammalian' - almost human-like  and with a face like a platypus :)

Some painted examples I pulled out from the net :

And finaly I just remembered the old iconic painting by Z. Burian the statue seems to be dreeven its pose from :

BrontoScorpio

Next in the bunch I acquired lately, of Kaiyodo Resin Kits 'Dinosaur Museum Series'  collection :

Kaiyodo 1/35 Iguanodon ( イグアノドン ) Resin Garage Kit created by Araki Kazunari ( 荒木一成 ) :

Kit also includes a pedestal :

The other 8 parts have no special attachment cavities - so you have to plan really carefully the angle in which to attach the two feets at the ankles :

Cleaned and assembled at last :

The model should be standing on one foot - as in the middle of running :

But, I would not risk Sticking a nail inside the foot of this old Resin statue - or risking it falling of the high shelf :

And, in any case, I think I do prefer the 'striding' pose :

BrontoScorpio

Next in the bunch I acquired lately, of Kaiyodo Resin Kits 'Dinosaur Museum Series'  collection - is also the 3rd and last of the 'Ornithopod - Hadrosaur' in the collection :

Kaiyodo 1/35 Corythosaurus ( コリトサウルス ) Resin Garage Kit created by Araki Kazunari ( 荒木一成 ) .

( The 88's Black&White Catalog and the attached paper say 1/20 - but I think this is a mistake, The 'Artpla' magazine is stating the scale to be 1/35 )
It is added with a rather amusing information sheet - I wish I could have read what it says :

The model is incredibly impressive once it is built - not to mention the unique pink colored Resin :

I could not find any reference on the Net for this model, other than those records in the Cataloges above -
What leads me to believe this one was very rare even back then :

Duna

Wow, those pink-creamy resin kits are gorgeous! I find very cool the manga style Corythosaurus sheet. He has a wonderful sculpt, too. I assumed it's a "he" because ... he.  :))
Though Trachodon is one of my favourite retro-vintage depictions, that is too "scary" for me. Very human style and those eyes ... Cool, though.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Duna on March 12, 2022, 09:46:41 PM
... I assumed it's a "he" because ... he.  :))
Well, I'm not sure - I think it's just the Pelvis at a certain angle - I have seen these kinds of models before.

Just to follow on the issue - Coincidentally, yesterday searching for models, I stumbled across  a review with pictures about those issues in dinosaurs  -
I think these are actual built models :

apparently there's a new book by Araki available at stores :

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Corythosaurus unfortunate looking pelvis is yhe result of extreme shrink wrapping.
I much prefer the Trachodon and Iguanodon, but they are all charming in their own way.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 13, 2022, 02:09:12 PM
The Corythosaurus unfortunate looking pelvis is the result of extreme shrink wrapping.
It is most certainly not.
There is no 'shrink wrapping' with Resin models ...

The pelvis is an intentional attribute of this particular model - like done in some other of the more recent and very high quality models.
Here are three examples of Deinonychus & 2 Velociraptors statues by Shinobu Matsumura -
It is just an anatomic and artists decision of the maker :

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: