News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

3 consecutive years without an Eofauna proboscidean? That's a darn shame, though I don't blame them. Dinosaurs must've sold far better than the mammals. Especially well-known species like Giganotosaurus, Triceratops, and the upcoming Diplodocus.

I definitely wouldn't mind an Eofauna-style Diplodocus. The Carnegie one is iconic, but outdated. Both the Safari and Favorite Co. ones are too cartoony, and not a huge fan of the paint and sculpt either. The only diplodocus I have is the rearing CollectA dipodocus, and it's about time I replaced it for something better.

I wonder if it's possible for Eofauna to incorporate this finding into their figure at that scale:
Diplodocus sp. integument: https://peerj.com/articles/11202/

Fembrogon

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 19, 2021, 05:16:38 PM
Kinda of wish it was more built and bulky
Like, way more
Having not read the original article, do we know this is precisely all of the mass Eofauna will use for their figure? That 3D model looks idealistically trim; perhaps more soft tissues will be incorporated into the design.
The bigger question on my mind is: how BIG will this figure be? I'd be quite happy if they stuck to the 1:40 - 1:35 scale.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Eofauna have previously said they plan to do all sauropods in 1:40 scale, so I assume that's what scale the Diplodocus will be.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

I hope its a big one thats hollow and affordable

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 20, 2021, 12:03:01 AM
I hope its a big one thats hollow and affordable
Affordable, yes, but I'm not sure that at 1/40 scale it would need to be hollow. After all, Diplodocus is not super massive compared to some others. Gracile, even.

ITdactyl

1. I guess G.S. Paul does not agree with D.Vidal's findings about sauropod posture. (His paper was about spinophorosaurus, but it has implications for its sauropod family)
Scott Hartman's blog post: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/dinosaurs-didnt-twerk-errpart-24202020
The Paper:  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63439-0

2. While I love Eofauna's aesthetic, I'm not a fan of swan-necked diplodocus.  I realize that this is a G.S. Paul reconstruction so it is very much in his style and I don't mean to complain.

I might change my mind when the final product is released.  It might be good to have a G.S. Paul dippy with the chonky Safari.

Leyster

Quote from: ITdactyl on May 20, 2021, 06:19:45 AM

1. I guess G.S. Paul does not agree with D.Vidal's findings about sauropod posture. (His paper was about spinophorosaurus, but it has implications for its sauropod family)
Scott Hartman's blog post: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/dinosaurs-didnt-twerk-errpart-24202020
The Paper:  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63439-0
DELETED
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Kapitaenosavrvs

Saw the Pictures yesterday. Interesting. They are working on it and we'll see. I can't imagine EoFauna going too skinny at all.
Diplodocus is a choice that makes sense as a non profit orientated Company. I do like the Safari Diplodocus sculpt though. Yes, the newer one. Maybe the EoFauna one will be quite a Thing (I would think so, but I try to keep the Expectations on a lower Level) and than it could work fine next to the Safari Sculpt.

Their Atlasaurus is one of the best figures i have seen and i love it. So i guess they know how to Sauropod/Aesthetics.

Thanks for the Picture here!

ITdactyl

Replying to a PM. You're right, I have no idea how much sway (if any) G.S.Paul has over the design of the upcoming Diplodocus figure, and the pictures going around only have Shu-yu Hsu's 3d render (for the tetrapod specific gravity paper).

Admittedly a[n overly] hasty reaction on my part.:D

And thank you for pointing out that Eofauna does have a nice "diplodocus" in their "The Sauropods" book.  I won't complain if that's the figure that we'll end up getting.

Shonisaurus

I am afraid that the diplodocus figure of Eofauna will not be very large. It is very expensive to make large sauropods and it implies economic losses as I have indicated in other posts many months ago, so I am afraid that it will be smaller than many DTF members would like. It is not profitable to sell a diplodocus or other large sauropod by any toy dinosaur company.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 21, 2021, 08:23:39 AM
I am afraid that the diplodocus figure of Eofauna will not be very large. It is very expensive to make large sauropods and it implies economic losses as I have indicated in other posts many months ago, so I am afraid that it will be smaller than many DTF members would like. It is not profitable to sell a diplodocus or other large sauropod by any toy dinosaur company.

You mean like the large Atlasaurus Eofauna has already produced? Or the large Camarasaurus produced by Safari?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on May 23, 2021, 03:04:45 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 21, 2021, 08:23:39 AM

You mean like the large Atlasaurus Eofauna has already produced? Or the large Camarasaurus produced by Safari?

I mean in general terms. The atlasaurus is obviously not very big like the iconic Carnegie figures of sauropods from the 90s were and the same can be said for the camarasaurus. Such figures like that diplodocus can only be marketed as vinyl figures and they would still be expensive like PNSO's huanghetitan. I am convinced that solid PVC sauropod figures are history except for some miracle, they are not profitable from an economic point of view and apart from that for reasons of space, not even the collectors even of the DTF are not in their vast majority in buy overly large sauropods from my humble point of view.

ITdactyl

Ended up re-hosting Eofauna's image anyway...

I'm waving arms here (and possibly shooting myself in the foot again >:D) - but since Eofauna's Proboscideans are in scale with each other, I think it's safe to assume the same can be said for their sauropods.

That said...

...the upcoming Diplodocus will likely not be bigger than the Atlasaurus - but definitely longer.

Kapitaenosavrvs

I thought the same. Since it was already said, that it will be around 1:40 and the Picture from the Book shows a 31m Diplodocus next to the Atlasaurus, it should work fine as a Model. This is also nice regaring the Pricepoint. But we will see. The Atlassaurus in the Picture has also a bit different proportions, than the Model itself. So i guess theres a bit of creative freedom and tuning in the sculptingprocess.

If they choose the coloration from the picture, i would say: Yes. Lovely.

Faelrin

Oh I hope it would be in scale with their Atlasaurus. I also like the coloration it has there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Volgadraco

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on May 24, 2021, 09:17:43 PM
I thought the same. Since it was already said, that it will be around 1:40 and the Picture from the Book shows a 31m Diplodocus next to the Atlasaurus, it should work fine as a Model. This is also nice regaring the Pricepoint. But we will see. The Atlassaurus in the Picture has also a bit different proportions, than the Model itself. So i guess theres a bit of creative freedom and tuning in the sculptingprocess.

In fact this exact sauropod isn't the Atlasaurus but rather a close undescribed relative which can be seen from the text of book. Although Atlasaurus also showing up in the book its color is a bit different from the model, while proportions are much closer to the figure. I think we shouldn't forget that the figures are sculpted off 3d modeled skeletons while drawings can have some liberty to the proportions.

Leyster

Quote from: Volgadraco on May 25, 2021, 09:56:35 AM

In fact this exact sauropod isn't the Atlasaurus but rather a close undescribed relative which can be seen from the text of book. Although Atlasaurus also showing up in the book its color is a bit different from the model, while proportions are much closer to the figure. I think we shouldn't forget that the figures are sculpted off 3d modeled skeletons while drawings can have some liberty to the proportions.
Given that the illustrations are the works of Andrey Atuchin, I doubt that there are proportion issues in the drawings. Also, Atlasaurus is not complete, so I wouldn't put that much faith in the fact that it was modeled from a 3d skeleton (in fact, I recall that someone cast doubt on the Paul skeletal they used). In the theropod book, dinosaurs illustrations in the "Speed" section are made by Sante Mazzei, so I think they simply recycled the already made Atlasaurus illustration (do not forget that the eofauna model that shares its colouration is specifically labelled Atlasaurus imelakei) for the unnamed neosauropod and commissioned Mazzei to do another Atlasaurus for the "Speed" section.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Volgadraco

Quote from: Leyster on May 25, 2021, 10:00:55 AM
Quote from: Volgadraco on May 25, 2021, 09:56:35 AM

Given that the illustrations are the works of Andrey Atuchin, I doubt that there are proportion issues in the drawings. Also, Atlasaurus is not complete, so I wouldn't put that much faith in the fact that it was modeled from a 3d skeleton (in fact, I recall that someone cast doubt on the Paul skeletal they used). In the theropod book, dinosaurs illustrations in the "Speed" section are made by Sante Mazzei, so I think they simply recycled the already made Atlasaurus illustration (do not forget that the eofauna model that shares its colouration is specifically labelled Atlasaurus imelakei) for the unnamed neosauropod and commissioned Mazzei to do another Atlasaurus for the "Speed" section.

Oh, I see now. Do they really use GSP skeletals that often?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Thanks, avatar_Volgadraco @Volgadraco and L @Leyster.

I completely ignored the Name on the Picture. I just saw the Colouration and general Body and the Case was closed too fast. Thanks for pointing out. In the End i just wanted to say, that we can discuss and discuss, but this won't change the Outcome of the Figure. Even if its fun, hehe.

The Picture has a quite bad resolution, and i could't see the Stats that good. I think i should have looked at the Weight of that unnamed Neosauropod. 35t is something i can see. EoFauna stated their Atlasaurus imelakei at 20 Tonnes and a Lengh of 15,5m, so this means the Diplodocus could be double the lenght of the Altasaurus, if they choose to use a ~30m Diplodocus?(In theory, the Pose will be quite different than the 3D Render, i would say.) (Figure Size, not along the Spine). Looking at the recently shared Photo of the 3D Diplodocus, it is going to be an ~26m Individual.

I am really hoping to see a teaser on the Pose of the Figure later this Summer.

Concavenator

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on May 25, 2021, 02:29:46 PM
I am really hoping to see a teaser on the Pose of the Figure later this Summer.

You don't have to wait to see it...you have seen it already  :) The figure will have the same pose as what we have already been shown. (Or at least, that's what I can take from Eofauna's answer when I asked them about the pose, they told me they don't have the intention to show the animal on its environment, that it will be based directly on the reconstruction from the paper. So I understand the figure is going to have the pose from the preview we have already seen).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: