News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Shonisaurus collection

Started by Shonisaurus, April 17, 2018, 09:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellow Stego

I agree with you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus on that Safari Spinosaurus. Overall a good sculpt and paint but it doesn't feel like the typical Safari figure. Also the spines on mine came in drooping to one side.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Shonisaurus

avatar_Mellow Stego @Mellow Stego True, the quality of the dinosaurs in Safari 2021 has dramatically decreased from previous years. Let's hope that in this next year 2022 things will normalize.

Halichoeres

Haven't seen you in a while, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, hope you're doing well.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 27, 2021, 08:56:11 PM
Haven't seen you in a while, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, hope you're doing well.

I was just thinking the other day that it had been awhile.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

He's such an active member that whenever he's absent, it's conspicuous.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres avatar_suspsy @suspsy S @SidB Thank you for your interest in me, as I have already mentioned, I have been on vacation outside of Madrid and fully enjoying vacations with feasts and tourist trips to my municipality (visit to castles, monasteries and churches) I have not stopped and that is why I have not been active, a month of rest is a month of rest and it disconnects even from the dinosaurs as it has happened to me. Now I will put the batteries although I am also preparing for oppositions. ;)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Fortunately I am well into my chronic ailments. Today in Madrid is a fabulous end of summer day. I am glad that you like these acquisitions, I will publish more over time as long as my osteoarthritis allows me.

Shonisaurus

As promised, I am sending you the photos of my collection.

First a group photo, daspletosaurus Safari, pravitoceras, brontosaurus corpse, pteranodon Deluxe, xiphactinus and kamuysaurus these five from Collecta.

I'm going to start with the prehistoric animals that have impacted me the most from greatest to least.

First the pteranodon, it is without a doubt the most beautiful figure of the group, its jaw is articulated and although I am not a fan of that type of jaw, I have to admit that it is very good. His painting is exquisite and the same is his sculpture, which perhaps is obvious is his tail tassel, it is an interpretation of the respectable Collecta brand but in my case not shared although I am a complete layman when it comes to scientific matters I am only a collector , I pass the photos.

Shonisaurus

Next dinosaur of yore, the daspletosaurus from Safari, is honestly the best dinosaur figure of the bunch. It's a decent sized daspletosaurus and rare in toy dinosaur figures other than tyrannosaurus rex, with the exception of PNSO and BoTM or Favorite's memorable tarbosaurus. The figure leaves his collecta counterpart to shame, by the way a very pretty figure, but who is eclipsed by this exception figure.

Shonisaurus

Following figures pravitoceras and brontosaurus corpse.

The brontosaurus corpse is a recommended figure due to the multitude of mutilations or deformities caused by hunting wounds and blows, such as arm dislocation. It makes me remember myself (an irony of mine), outside of jokes, it is a dramatic figure, full of details and it is good that Collecta has made a figure as disfigured as that brontosaurus is the masterpiece of dinosaur corpse figures by Collecta.

The pravitoceras, I put it in equal beauty to the corpse brontosaurus and it is larger than I thought, the color of its shell enraptures me and its figure in constant movement makes it the preferred invertebrate figure in my collection today by part of Collecta.

I pass the photos of these two figures.

A foreshortened illustration of the figure so that the beauty of details of the corpse brontosaurus can be appreciated.

Pravitoceras, the beauty of the figure, even in these faulty photos leaves negative criticism speechless, at least on my part.

Shonisaurus

The penultimate figure, the xiphactinus, is an acceptable figure but for me it is not at the same height as the rest, it could have been bigger and honestly it is still a great fish like the current ones even though it is an extinct and prehistoric fish. Nice but small.

The kamuysaurus from Collecta is undoubtedly an attractive miniature but it is still a miniature, well sculpted, well painted but it deserves a much larger version of that figure, honestly for me how beautiful dinosaur figures are or not toy (vinyl, resin or PVC) is its size, the large or acceptably large is beautiful and pretty, I pass the photos.

Halichoeres

Whereas the order of my preferences is a bit different from yours, I'm definitely fond of these figures as you are. I'm pretty happy with the size of the Xiphactinus because it fits in with other figures I own, but I know you tend to prefer the largest practicable figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

GojiraGuy1954

I didnt know the Pteranodon was that massive
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Congrats on your new CollectA and Safari acquisitions. The Pteranodon looks mighty impressive,  and the rest I know are lovely from personal experience 😀
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  Sorry if I hurt your sensitivity, I know that as an ichthyologist you love fish. The xiphactinus is a beauty and I regret having compared it to a current fish (all beautiful), but yes, the size in the toy dinosaur figures in my case is something to take into account. Perhaps if they had made it the same size as the dunkleosteus it would have put it first, although that xiphactinus from Collecta is wonderful and is a deference and courtesy from Collecta, that they have pampered us DTF members, this year perhaps they have listened to our supplications in the request of a paraceratherium. What has been said is a great figure and a thousand apologies, I also like fish a lot and especially prehistoric ones.

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Yes it is huge but I think it is more the guidraco, dimorphodon or caviramus, but without a doubt the best pteranodon ever made by a brand of toy dinosaurs and perhaps it can only be surpassed with the new figure of this year 2022.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx  I'm glad you like them, if indeed these toy dinosaur figures are very beautiful and very affordable, although I also love the more expensive dinosaur company figures such as Nanmu, W-Dragon, BoTM (to my shame and disgrace I still do not have any), Eofauna, PNSO or Rebor among other companies that distribute illusion and a beautiful paleoart among the members of DTF, and in which many of our colleagues are fortunate for their acquisitions,

Halichoeres

Ha ha don't worry, you haven't offended me. Nothing wrong with different preferences.

Bread

Wonderful haul you got there Shonisaurus!
I have the Xiphactinus on the way so my full opinion on it is still to come, but so far the only downer based on photos is the size of the figure. Although, I will say if anything the size is perfect for its price. Makes CollectA so much more affordable compared to PNSO.
I have the Kamuysaurus and I completely agree. Lovely sculpt but suffers the small size. Still a wonderful figure.

Lanthanotus

You got some nice additions there, Shonisaurus, glad you could enlarge your collection. Especially the Pteranodon is a stunner :)

Shonisaurus

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus Thanks for your words. Honestly, this pteranodon is amazing for me, it is the best pteranodon made to date, as can also be the Collecta dimorphodon and honestly, both figures will be very difficult to overcome by a brand of toy dinosaurs such as the iToy paraceratherium but with the difference that the pteranodon for the size, quality of sculpture and painting is of a super cheap price compared to the aforementioned figure of iToy.

Collecta dinosaurs are "good, pretty and cheap" and that is appreciated by DTF members as it is my case that today they cannot make many expenses for reasons of savings and prudence, the same can be said of the Safari brand.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: