News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Godzilla Thread

Started by Takama, August 02, 2012, 12:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

I dont think there is a Godzilla thread here yet.

Any one like the movies? or Collect stuff based on him?

I have quite a few of his movies, and my favorite on is Godzilla VS Biolantie

I also buy the Bandi Vynal figures, because they are the easiest type that i can obtain.

I also have all three of his modern video games

Godzilla saves the earth
Godzllia Unleashed
and Godzilla destroy all monsters.

Gwangi

I'm a casual Godzilla fan and slowly building up a movie collection for him. Very slowly in fact as I only have one movie (Godzilla vs. Megaguirus). I need to at least get the original Godzilla movie as that is my favorite. I also have the toy that you saw in my collection picture and an old video game for the Super Nintendo. My brother-in-law is big into Godzilla with several toys and most of the movies but they're mostly on VHS. He also has two of the games you mentioned that me and my wife bought him for Christmas several years ago.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on August 03, 2012, 12:26:36 AM
I'm a casual Godzilla fan and slowly building up a movie collection for him. Very slowly in fact as I only have one movie (Godzilla vs. Megaguirus). I need to at least get the original Godzilla movie as that is my favorite. I also have the toy that you saw in my collection picture and an old video game for the Super Nintendo. My brother-in-law is big into Godzilla with several toys and most of the movies but they're mostly on VHS. He also has two of the games you mentioned that me and my wife bought him for Christmas several years ago.

Yeah i knew you might post here. In fact, that little chat about Godzilla being a true dinosaur is what got me motivated to start this thread in the first place. ;)

dgmilner

Just in case you're interested: http://www.davmil.org/www.kaijuconversations.com

Interviews with Ishiro Honda, Akira Ifukube, Koichi Kawakita and other folks who worked on the Godzilla series. There are a few interviews with people who worked on the Gamera series as well.

Quote from: Takama on August 03, 2012, 12:57:02 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 03, 2012, 12:26:36 AMI'm a casual Godzilla fan and slowly building up a movie collection for him. Very slowly in fact as I only have one movie (Godzilla vs. Megaguirus). I need to at least get the original Godzilla movie as that is my favorite. I also have the toy that you saw in my collection picture and an old video game for the Super Nintendo. My brother-in-law is big into Godzilla with several toys and most of the movies but they're mostly on VHS. He also has two of the games you mentioned that me and my wife bought him for Christmas several years ago.

Yeah i knew you might post here. In fact, that little chat about Godzilla being a true dinosaur is what got me motivated to start this thread in the first place. ;)

Tyrannosaurid lover

Im a big kaiju fan, especially godzilla, :D It used to be my favorite fiction chracterof ever
When the time came out the amaizine animals that the time and extintion lef behind will be back.

Patrx

I think I may be the only one who liked the 1998 American film - admittedly, it was nothing like an actual Godzilla movie, but in my mind it easily tops "Cloverfield" as an American-made daikaiju flick. I hear there is another attempt in the works at making an "updated" Godzilla, and I would like to see what could result if they stick a little closer to home this time. A modernized "Godzilla Versus Something" type movie would be lots of fun.
With regard to the monster-king's biology, he does appear to have certain mammalian traits in some designs. He often has external ears, an almost catlike nose, and carnivore-like dentition. Also, he has functioning, pronated hands, which would be unique for a theropod. I've not read Naish's work on the subject, and I recall that, in the lose continuity of the film series, Godzilla's a mutated "Godzillasaurus"; but it seems to me he's got a lot in common with gorgonopsids or similar.

Blade-of-the-Moon

We had a Godzilla thread in the old forum so we should start a new one.  I did post about the new movie a week or so ago. :)

Here's my  Big G collection :

I also have a few Godzilla items for sale here : http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,35.0.html

My favorite kaiju aside from the Big G himself is certainly Angilas , love how he fights, love his roar, him and Godzilla are best friends..just AWESOME ! ;D

Here's a video showing how cool he and his species really is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llk-w5Dz2Wg

and a little of Matt Frank's awesome Godzilla art :

Takama

QuoteMy favorite kaiju aside from the Big G himself is certainly Angilas , love how he fights, love his roar, him and Godzilla are best friends..just AWESOME ! ;D

Until Godzilla killed him for destroying a city in final wars. I hated that moment >:(

And then theres also the time he got his Jaw dislocated because Mechagodzilla(disguised as normal Godzilla) Tore it downwards the same way King Kong dose it to a Vestatasaurus. That moment made me cry as a child.

That spiky Creture sure has gotten some  real cruelty handed to him.

Gwangi

That is an awesome collection Blade and very well arranged. I'm never going to collect Godzilla merchandize like that but I can certainly appreciate it.

As for the 1998 Godzilla, I hated it. The creature design was cool but the story and characters were awful, I very much dislike Matthew Broderick. Honestly, I found the movie boring. Cloverfield I did enjoy though, especially in the movie theater.

Takama

Godzilla 1998. When i watch it now, i think of how Un-Godzilla it is. However, what i do like, is the fact that it has become an official part of the real Godzillas universe in Final Wars, and was just named Zilla. However, Zilla had very little screen time, and is quickly killed off by Godzilla.  I wished that he wasent in the film so breifly, and that he was actauly one of the final monsters that Godzilla faces at the end of the film.

America VS Japan >:D OH WAIT....that did not sound right

tyrantqueen

I hated the American Godzilla too. Godzilla doesn't need to be "scientifically accurate", it's a fun fantasy movie. Like old sci fi B movies. Imagine if they tried to remake Valley Of Gwangi, that would suck. Ray Harryhausen's stop motion makes that movie what it is.

It was awesome when Zilla got killed by Godzilla :)

QuoteHowever, Zilla had very little screen time, and is quickly killed off by Godzilla.  I wished that he wasent in the film so breifly, and that he was actauly one of the final monsters that Godzilla faces at the end of the film.
Zilla was not worthy enough to be one of the final monsters IMO. It doesn't deserve any further screentime.

I'm not anti American at all btw, I just hate the American Godzilla movie with a passion.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 03, 2012, 11:09:18 PM
I hated the American Godzilla too. Godzilla doesn't need to be "scientifically accurate", it's a fun fantasy movie. Like old sci fi B movies. Imagine if they tried to remake Valley Of Gwangi, that would suck. Ray Harryhausen's stop motion makes that movie what it is.

It was awesome when Zilla got killed by Godzilla :)

QuoteHowever, Zilla had very little screen time, and is quickly killed off by Godzilla.  I wished that he wasent in the film so breifly, and that he was actauly one of the final monsters that Godzilla faces at the end of the film.
Zilla was not worthy enough to be one of the final monsters IMO. It doesn't deserve any further screentime.

I'm not anti American at all btw, I just hate the American Godzilla movie with a passion.

Wowser. You really don't like Zilla XD In defense of Patrick Tatapoulis, the monster's designer, I don't think Zilla was ever meant to be scientifically accurate to anything. If I recall correctly, the initial guidance from the director was simply for the creature to look fast and dangerous. Its absurd chin, on the other hand, I have no explanation for.
As for a remake of Gwangi, I don't think that'd automatically be bad :) I love stop-motion, and Harryhousen's work, but CGI takes just as much effort and artistry. If done well, a remade Gwangi could be just as charming as the original. Granted, the whole idea would be pretty unnecessary, and it probably would suck  ???
I'd like to point out, though, that I don't think remakes and their ilk are harmful, even if they are terrible - Gojira (1954) is not diminished or altered in any way by Godzilla (1998). Both simply are what they are :)

Gwangi

I agree with Pixelboy. Remakes have been a staple in Hollywood for a very long time. The reason they're probably easier to notice now is the number of movies released each year which is at least a couple every week here in the U.S. Some remakes are good and some bad but if you don't like them you still have the original to turn to. I would welcome a Gwangi remake with updated realistic looking dinosaurs, the original Gwangi wouldn't suffer from it in the slightest. Aside from the dinosaurs in Gwangi it is actually a pretty terrible movie as most dinosaur movies were at the time (and still are).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on August 03, 2012, 08:06:41 PM
QuoteMy favorite kaiju aside from the Big G himself is certainly Angilas , love how he fights, love his roar, him and Godzilla are best friends..just AWESOME ! ;D

Until Godzilla killed him for destroying a city in final wars. I hated that moment >:(

And then theres also the time he got his Jaw dislocated because Mechagodzilla(disguised as normal Godzilla) Tore it downwards the same way King Kong dose it to a Vestatasaurus. That moment made me cry as a child.

That spiky Creture sure has gotten some  real cruelty handed to him.

yeah but he keeps on..that's what I love about him. No powerful weapons just sheer tenacity. ;)

I don't think Godzilla killed an Anguirus in FW, when they fought he just piled him and the others up there at the end...they were still moving and alive..he just beat them as they were being controlled.

That was a bad day..but Angilas knew that wasn't real Godzilla and he did help. He may have injured his jaw..but he went back and got the real Godzilla to come fight. How many monsters have fought mechagodzilla and lived ?  He at least has that.

amargasaurus cazaui

Lol I dunno, my favorite was Godzilla VS. Bambi...classic !!! One minute Bambi is peacefully grazing..next minute SPLLAATTTTTTT.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on August 04, 2012, 01:33:40 AM
I agree with Pixelboy. Remakes have been a staple in Hollywood for a very long time. The reason they're probably easier to notice now is the number of movies released each year which is at least a couple every week here in the U.S. Some remakes are good and some bad but if you don't like them you still have the original to turn to. I would welcome a Gwangi remake with updated realistic looking dinosaurs, the original Gwangi wouldn't suffer from it in the slightest. Aside from the dinosaurs in Gwangi it is actually a pretty terrible movie as most dinosaur movies were at the time (and still are).
No offense but you must have a lot of disposable income. I would not want to waste money on a film that I know would probably suck. What would be the point of watching a remade version of Gwangi anyway? The B movie plot and retro dinosaur style are what most people remember fondly about it. If it was remade with realistic looking CGi dinosaurs and a new storyline I would have no interest in such a film whatsoever.

The reason why a lot of these films are so popular is because they're so bad (in a good way ;)) I mean, what would be the point of remaking something like Manos, the Hands of Fate?

That's my opinion on that matter :)

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 04, 2012, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 04, 2012, 01:33:40 AM
No offense but you must have a lot of disposable income. I would not want to waste money on a film that I know would probably suck. What would be the point of watching a remade version of Gwangi anyway? The B movie plot and retro dinosaur style are what most people remember fondly about it. If it was remade with realistic looking CGi dinosaurs and a new storyline I would have no interest in such a film whatsoever.

The reason why a lot of these films are so popular is because they're so bad (in a good way ;)) I mean, what would be the point of remaking something like Manos, the Hands of Fate?

That's my opinion on that matter :)

LOL. I have very little disposable income. Though my wife and I frequent the movie theater often we don't see every movie that comes out. I enjoy B-movies but no, I don't pay to see movies I know will be unintentionally bad (Transformers comes to mind). Not to mention that there are cheaper means to watch movies. It does not cost much to rent a movie and in substitution of paying for cable or dish we have Netflix which actually saves us a lot of money. No one has to see a remade movie but I like that the option exists for those who want to.
A remake of Gwangi would do nothing to diminish the charm of the original film, just give us a different version of it. The reason those old dinosaur movies were popular when they came out is not because of their retro style, at the time they were realistic looking and people wanted to see realistic dinosaurs. Those dinosaurs are no longer realistic and while the movies are still enjoyable for different reasons I still want to see realistic dinosaurs, especially ones that aren't Jurassic Park. I believe a good Gwangi remake could be made (similar to Cowboys vs. Aliens which wasn't totally bad) and I would love to see some good looking dinosaurs on the big screen again. I love King Kong, both the original and the 2005 remake. Nether takes anything away from the other, I own them and enjoy them both. I hate the thought that Peter Jackson might not have remade that movie for fear of the thought that it would somehow take away the charm of the original or be a waste of a moviegoers money.

DinoToyForum

The best Godzilla is the 1998 one. *Runs*  >:D

amargasaurus cazaui

I am not sure if mine should be posted here, but I thought I would share my old Aurora Glo in the dark Godzilla. I had the guy since i was about five or the early seventies to be precise. I asked Martin to do an extensive rebuild and repaint on the entire kit. I love the retro feel this model has. So a rebuild and repaint from Martin Garrat.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've seen that kit a lot but never owned it..was pretty close though once . It's a nicely done piece and one of my favorite versions of Godzilla..looking a bit more dinosaur like.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: