News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Godzilla Thread

Started by Takama, August 02, 2012, 12:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 16, 2014, 01:27:41 PM
All right! Godzilla trashing cities and fighting monsters and no Matthew Broderick in sight! I did buy the soundtrack to the movie already, very good from start to finish. I can take that as a positive sign right?

I would. :)

tyrantqueen

I dunno...there have been many films with great soundtracks but were not fun to watch as films. For example, the 1984 Dune had an awesome soundtrack, but a lot of people hate that film (I don't hate it, but I can understand some of the criticism). I don't think an amazing soundtrack can ever really save a film.

We'll have to wait and see how this one turns out, but fingers crossed it will be good :)

Takama

From what I'm seeing.   Some fans said its a disapointment.    I thoght it was great

tyrantqueen

The Independant called it "boring"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/godzilla-film-review-pofaced-remake-exploits-all-the-fresh-disasters-it-can-think-of-9377993.html

Minor spoilers for the human characters, so don't click if you don't want anything spoiled.

Takama

Well I liked it and thoght it was the best godzilla movie ever.   I think everyone wanted a dumb movie with the monsters fighting throughout.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 16, 2014, 05:01:01 PM
I dunno...there have been many films with great soundtracks but were not fun to watch as films. For example, the 1984 Dune had an awesome soundtrack, but a lot of people hate that film (I don't hate it, but I can understand some of the criticism). I don't think an amazing soundtrack can ever really save a film.

We'll have to wait and see how this one turns out, but fingers crossed it will be good :)

But it can ruin it. ;)

We just came back from seeing it and I can see how some people would be annoyed at least a bit.  It was 1000x better than the tri-star film, but to me there was too much human involvement.  I also appreciated the hype that was being built throughout..though the payoff was..fractured ? a bit too much.   I think it deserves a solid 8.5 out 10.

Everything_Dinosaur

New Godzilla film has had a really good review on Radio 4 "Front Row" lots of Alien/Jaws references, even the chief "Godzilla hunter" is called Brody ala Roy Scheider.  The sound is supposed to be amazing, this is going to be a must see, if the review is anything to go by.

Gwangi

I saw it last night and agree with a lot of what the critics are saying. It's a bit slow paced and focuses too much on the human characters. This wouldn't be a big problem if those characters were interesting. The ones that were interesting didn't get enough screen time in my opinion. That said, Godzilla looked fantastic, the MUTO looked fantastic, the fight scenes looked fantastic (but most of them took place at night which I'm getting tired of). I wish we would have gotten more of those fantastic things. It was a solid movie and a much more serious take on the Godzilla story than you could have thought possible. Every time I saw Godzilla my eyes widened and my face lit up, OMG was he epic looking! If I had to give it a rating, I would give it a B+.

Oh yeah, one last thing...better than Pacific Rim.

Paleogene Pals

Slow-paced and focused on bland, cookie-cutter characters, eh? I'm feeling a bit disappointed. Modern movies are just such a let down to me. Guess that is the price I pay for growing up during the 'Golden Age' of movies with the Star Wars OT, E.T., Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Christopher Reeves Superman, etc... 

Is this movie worth driving half an hour to Sioux City to watch it in one of the newer updated cinemas? Or is it something I should just watch in the older, smaller theaters here in my hometown.   

brandem

Urg, wow that movie had problems, and some positives

oh the three characters I might have cared about in that movie, sergeant Can't Emote was not one of them and we spend too much time with him.

people really like the MUTOS? their design seemed derivative of every other buggy, angular monster from new millennia cinema and video games(their body model was scary close to cloverfield)

not once to they play any take on Godzilla's theme when he's on screen? That kind of feels like a missed opportunity(sorry if that's a spoiler, it doesn't feel like one).

and the movie wasn't slow paced it was plodding, jaws was slow paced but it was smart, I just couldn't care about the main human.

but yes the actual battle, when we get down to it is awesome and the cgi is beautiful. I'm sure some people will find that redeeming in and of itself but better than Pacific Rim? Really?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brandem on May 17, 2014, 03:13:03 AM
Urg, wow that movie had problems, and some positives

oh the three characters I might have cared about in that movie, sergeant Can't Emote was not one of them and we spend too much time with him.

people really like the MUTOS? their design seemed derivative of every other buggy, angular monster from new millennia cinema and video games(their body model was scary close to cloverfield)

not once to they play any take on Godzilla's theme when he's on screen? That kind of feels like a missed opportunity(sorry if that's a spoiler, it doesn't feel like one).

and the movie wasn't slow paced it was plodding, jaws was slow paced but it was smart, I just couldn't care about the main human.

but yes the actual battle, when we get down to it is awesome and the cgi is beautiful. I'm sure some people will find that redeeming in and of itself but better than Pacific Rim? Really?
Well, from what I've seen of Pacific Rim, I don't think it's that hard to beat.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

brandem

Everything is personal preference but if had had to ask what movie did I have more fun during? Yeah I'd say pacific rim.

But "from what you've seen of it"? If all I had seen was the trailers of either movies I'd say godzilla looked better.

As of right now though big g has a percentage point on gypsy danger on rotten tomatoes, so there is that.

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Simon

Have not seen it yet, but here is what Marilyn Price and Martin Garratt emailed me about it this morning:

"The movie was a little slow to start; I do think we should have seen more of Godzilla; but I enjoyed it, so did Martin."

Blade-of-the-Moon

I honestly can't even tell you the human character's names.  I also think if we get a sequel there will be more monster battle footage.  Many of Godzilla's films played out the way this one did but others had more of him in it. They spent the first part really trying to set things up and hype  the finale battle.

Godzilla was said to be more of a " brawler " in this one which is true..but I want a street fight if we're going that route.  It's not like the Big G hasn't been  "vicious " in the past ( appendage ripping, blood letting, ect.. )

sauroid

do you guys think a Godzilla/PR crossover is possible/sensible/not far-fetched?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Trisdino

Oh god I hated this movie so much, and I am about the biggest fan of godzilla you can get. There were so many problems that I wont list them all, but here is a post I made somewhere else: this movie was decent... and I hated it with a passion. The only interesting characters were Bryan Cranston, who was not in it for that long, and Ken Watanabe, who also did not get nearly enough screentime. Instead we are stuck with "generic american  dude", and his even more generic family.

It portrays godzilla as a hero, instead of the animal he was advertised as, and coupled with the dull and heartless cast, you ironically end up feeling much more sympathetic towards the MUTO's, who are just animals trying to survive, yet the humans do not even flinch as they do terrible things to them. The end result is a movie that while technically really good, just left me pissed off as I walked out of the theatre.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Trisdino on May 17, 2014, 11:31:21 AM
Oh god I hated this movie so much, and I am about the biggest fan of godzilla you can get. There were so many problems that I wont list them all, but here is a post I made somewhere else: this movie was decent... and I hated it with a passion. The only interesting characters were Bryan Cranston, who was not in it for that long, and Ken Watanabe, who also did not get nearly enough screentime. Instead we are stuck with "generic american  dude", and his even more generic family.

It portrays godzilla as a hero, instead of the animal he was advertised as, and coupled with the dull and heartless cast, you ironically end up feeling much more sympathetic towards the MUTO's, who are just animals trying to survive, yet the humans do not even flinch as they do terrible things to them. The end result is a movie that while technically really good, just left me pissed off as I walked out of the theatre.
Interesting. Would you say it is better or worse than Roland Emmerich's film?

postsaurischian

:o Oh my god! Can it get worse than the Roland Emmerich movie?!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: