News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Giganotosaurus

My Pachyrhinosaurus has arrived! It's bigger than I thought it would be, not sure where I am going to keep the upcoming Sinoceratops and Triceratops!
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on April 28, 2021, 07:49:32 PM
My Pachyrhinosaurus has arrived! It's bigger than I thought it would be, not sure where I am going to keep the upcoming Sinoceratops and Triceratops!

Mine came in last night. Geez this thing is a monster! Love the heft to it, feel more like a statue. The size is great too..already got a pic idea for it.  If the Trike and Toro are so much bigger it's gonna be insane to shelf them all.

terrorchicken

the pachyrhino is gorgeous, the reddish brown and aqua blue/green color combo is so pleasing, this would have been my choice if it weren't for the price and size.

suspsy

My Spiclypeus has not arrived yet, unsurprisingly. Mail between Canada and the US has been painfully slow ever since 2020 began raining stool down on everyone. No matter, I don't intend to have the review ready until June.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

LeapingLaelaps

The herd has arrived! I was a little bit nervous and worried the package was lost since Fedex didn't update tracking for a while, but they eventually got here! The Pachy and Centro are BIG, I'm kind of scared to see the big guys from Wave 3!

As you can tell, the Pachy and Centro are also missing their tails. I'll have to try heating them up with water and seeing if it's any easier to get them on. If I can't get them on I'll have to make my dad do it :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on April 30, 2021, 08:38:49 PM

The herd has arrived! I was a little bit nervous and worried the package was lost since Fedex didn't update tracking for a while, but they eventually got here! The Pachy and Centro are BIG, I'm kind of scared to see the big guys from Wave 3!

As you can tell, the Pachy and Centro are also missing their tails. I'll have to try heating them up with water and seeing if it's any easier to get them on. If I can't get them on I'll have to make my dad do it :P

Hairdryer works great too or just leave them out in the sun for a bit.

I love these big figures, but i do wish the head could lower more in a fighting pose.

Ravonium

EmperorDinobot

Einiosaurus and Monolconius exclusive are here. They share the same body. The only difference is their heads.

Dusty Wren

Got my Spiclypeus today!

This is the only one I ordered out of Wave 2, though I may still go back for the Wendi once I get all of my Kickstarter purchases. I love the color scheme on this guy.
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Has anyone here experienced any quality control issues with their ceratopsians? I've seen a couple of disturbing reports on Facebook where lower jaws or even heads have broken off.  :-\

Carnoking

Can confirm, it does happen. However, it's more my fault since I didn't heat the joints before trying to pose it.

I can pop it back on, it just tends to come off when I try to pose it.

Glass half full, it lets me do this.

Carnoking

Also got my order of wave 2 in. Dangit, I just feel like I'm going to have to complete the line now.

suspsy

Tell me about heating up the joints. What is the preferred method?

John

Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2021, 07:54:33 PM
Has anyone here experienced any quality control issues with their ceratopsians? I've seen a couple of disturbing reports on Facebook where lower jaws or even heads have broken off.  :-\
Unfortunately yes.In my case it was the Medusaceratops.The top of it's head was loose and came off while I was attempting to close it's jaw,which turned out to be warped so badly that it was not able to be closed,and with the top of it's head off,I could see that the tongue was nearly torn off at the ball joint in the mouth.
I ended up taking the tongue all the way off because it was going sideways and then gorilla glued it back down in place in the mouth,unwarped the lower jaw and glued the top of it's head back on.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Carnoking

Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2021, 09:22:02 PM
Tell me about heating up the joints. What is the preferred method?

I just hit the hole figure with a hairdryer then gently work the joints until they become more and more pliable.

andrewsaurus rex

I haven't had any structural problems yet on any of the figures I've bought but all of them (3 so far) have had errant paint blobs in places on them.  Since I was repainting them I didn't care but I can see people being pretty upset by the sloppy paintwork given the prices of these figures.  QC is something BOTM has to look into.

I've never needed to heat up any of the joints in order to get the figures working well, but if I did run into that, I would use a hair dryer first.  It only takes 10 seconds of heating to be able to pop the tail on; the plastic responds well to heating.  Heating can backfire a bit because it will make the plastic rubbery and the limbs may just bend rather than loosen the joint.

If you find a joint that is really hard to move, it may have some paint sticking it.   I'm not sure if heating will help in a case like that but it may   Working the joint back and forth patiently for a while is probably the best bet, pulling outward on it a bit as you do will help too.   The plastic doesn't seem very brittle to me, so i'm not sure how much danger there is of snapping joints.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2021, 07:54:33 PM

Had a stuck leg on the Einiosaurus. Tongue was shoved too far back and up on the Pachyrhinosaurus.  Thats so far.  Havent opened them all yet.   My only real nitpick has been many don't allow you to put the head far enough down in a drinking/eating/attack posture.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: