You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Another one of the figures in this series that is unfortunately over scale and by a fair bit.  Too bad.  It's  a nicely done figure.  I would imagine most people won't mind the scale, however.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 14, 2021, 12:21:14 PM
Another one of the figures in this series that is unfortunately over scale and by a fair bit.  Too bad.  It's  a nicely done figure.  I would imagine most people won't mind the scale, however.

Hmm I thought we established earlier that yes a few were over scaled to fit parts?  If this is going to be a big issue, it's something David should probably be notified of. I would email or message him via facebook maybe something he can take into account more in the future.

andrewsaurus rex

i'm sure he's well aware that a few of the figures are over scale.  To be honest, there are many of the BOTM figures that are not 1/18, either being a bit too small or a bit too big.  That is definitely because of reusing body parts.  For example in life, Diabloceratops was almost certainly noticeably bigger than Chasmosaurus, but the BOTM figures use the same body and are essentially the same size (Chasmo actually looks a bit bigger because of its elongated frill).  But it's not a big deal to me, and i'm a diehard scale guy.  Animals vary in size and I can live with these types of discrepancies   The ones I can't live with so far are zuniceratops, avaceratops and the adult Centrosaurus.  Those three are WAY over scale.   I imagine most collectors won't care.....I've noticed very few in this hobby seem to be concerned about scale.

I analyzed the upcoming Wave 3 figures and only Utahceratops is actually 1/18, most of the others are somewhat over scale, but again, nothing major, at least as far as i can tell with the minimal pics and info currently available.  I'll wait to see reviews to make the final determination.  I am most concerned about Triceratops and Torosaurus....those two I've really been looking forward to but they both could have heads much bigger than the largest skulls found...but that's to be determined...

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

looks good. 

not familiar with that star wars figure, but assuming it's like my old boba fett, which is a bit under 4 inches tall, with a rough calc I put the skull length at 6 inches, which is 9 feet.....on par with the largest known skull.   There is hope  :)

Faelrin

New image of the wip paint masters for the 1/18th scale Protoceratops and Psittacosaurus:

David said in the FB comments that the coloration for the new Protoceratops is inspired by a green horned toad in case anyone is wondering. Edit: Here is the pic he shared:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

ha.....the lizard's about the same size as the 1/18 prrotoceratops   :)

suspsy

Be nice to have a Psittacosaurus that scales with the Yutyrannus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Well assuming the Yutyrannus is actually 1:18 scale it should be to scales with the Safari Ltd Psittacosaurus anyway, which is what I would be doing.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

andrewsaurus rex

as far as I know the largest species of Psittacoosaurus was about 6 feet long or so, about 4 inches in 1/18.

The Safari figure is 5 1/4 approx., 25% too big at about 1/14 scale.

Einherjar

I can't help but finding the paint schemes for most of the ceratopsians really off putting. It just looks ugly and almost sloppy at times. It's put me off a few of the models, and I'll be repainting the ones I do get.

It's odd, cause a lot of the tyrannosaurs look reaaaally nice.

andrewsaurus rex

I agree.  The good news is when/if you do repaint them they look nice....the scale detailing etc is good but hidden under the chaotic paint schemes.  I try to design my paint schemes so they have dark colours where the articulation points are, especially the torso join  This helps hide the gaps and makes the figure look much better.

Maybe BOTM listened to feedback from the Ceratopsian series and made more appealing paint jobs on the Tyrannosaur line?  I'm still not a fan of bright colours on predators but some of the schemes are quite striking.  And some schemes are more subdued and naturalistic.  Very much looking to the release of that line.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Speaking of Colours. I have the same thoughts on the Ceratopsians, but we had that weeks ago.
Colours. Aren't Birds Tetrachromatic? I want to keep that general, because i am absolutely no expert in this.

I like "natural" looking colours on Theropods too. But what does "natural" mean in this case? Natural for our understanding of Colours. But i always have to think about the mostly black, but iridescent Microraptor. We have that in Birds.

I think a lot already know this one here:

So, if a Figure is coloured brightly, it maybe just represents the Idea of how Dinosaurs saw each other. At least a few. So maybe, Predators (especially feathered ones) used a wide range of Colours to communicate with each other, sexual display and so on, but Preyanimals didn't need to have such a good Eyesight. So the Predators look less vibrant or coloured to them = better Hiding.

Or "Raptors" that may hunted for small Mammals, that did not have great eyesight. So the bright colouring was nothing that interfered during the hunt.

This is not meant as a big Fact, but just a thought. And i guess, that thought was done millions of times before :D
So its maybe just personal preference for the collector, how the Figure is meant to be seen. From a human perspective, or from the animals perspective.

But i still think the same about the colouring of the Ceratopsians. But theres no need to buy everything and i have so much alternatives to choose from.

Halichoeres

That's an interesting interpretation, these figures just colored for our limited mammal vision (though, thankfully, not as limited as most mammals).

On another note, I am really feeling that little green Protoceratops.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Prehistory Resurrection

https://youtu.be/mwhMmHGibzU
Beasts of the Mesozoic Ceratopsian Wave 2 Kosmoceratops richardson Action Figure preview (Video from Creative Beasts Studio YouTube Channel).

andrewsaurus rex

Indeed interesting, Kapitaenosavrvs .  I wonder though, the way birds see each other, ie more brightly coloured than we do, would birds also not see the background, ie the trees, sky, plants etc more brightly coloured as well?  Therefore the camouflage the individual that is being viewed is wearing would be just as effective?

However, the point about the mammals eyesight is very interesting.

One point in favour of dinosaurs NOT being brightly coloured is that, the little we know of their colouring so far, from Psittacosaurus , Sinosauropteryx and Borealopelta, would indicate they are shades of brown, with countershading of light creamy colours on the underside and while having some patterning (stripes, spots) those patterns too are not brightly coloured (to us at least).  Microraptor is black with flecks of red.....I have no problem with flecks of colour on any dinosaur.  It's the kaleidoscope of colours on dinosaurs I don't like.

But some very interesting points you have made, Kapitaenosavrvs ....they create layers of thinking and reasoning that need to be made.

Halichoeres: i'm feeling the little green Protoceratops as well. 

Stegotyranno420

Halichoeres

When we're all able to genetically engineer our offspring, I'm sure this is the first edit that ornithologists and lepidopterists will make.

Shonisaurus

Honestly for me the kosmoceratops from BoTM is the most interesting of both waves of ceratopsids without a doubt it is my favorite dinosaur and the only one that I am going to buy this year from everythingdinosaur. The best figure by far and he's going to be very good company with his Jetoar counterpart.

suspsy

Well, I heard from David that my Spiclypeus will be mailed out soon, so hurrah for that. I'll be reviewing it for the DTB for June.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: