News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeapingLaelaps

My order has shipped! I'm now panicking realizing I have no room left on my shelves for these guys. Or on my desk. Or on top of my freezer. Uh-oh. ::)

Shonisaurus

My portfolio is going to be depleted but I really want that kosmoceratops to be marketed. It is the most attractive figure of that theropod made so far, although, rather also the figure of Jetoar is in the same degree of genius but the difference between this great figure of Jesús Toledo and that of BoTM than that figure of kosmoceratops made made of a material less prone to breakage.

On the other hand, the spiclypeus is another of the figures expected in my collection by David Silva. I hope to receive those two figures from everythingdinosaur but that is free of customs threats, I would even buy them on Ebay on the commercial website through the system of global shipments.

Dinoguy2

Waiting patiently for my wave 2 order (Spiclypeus). I usually get it within a day of shipping, I must be close to the warehouse. But no shipping notification yet.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 26, 2021, 03:03:47 PM
Waiting patiently for my wave 2 order (Spiclypeus). I usually get it within a day of shipping, I must be close to the warehouse. But no shipping notification yet.

Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't seen a shipping notification. I bundled all my figures into one shipment so I'm very excited to see that shipping notification come through!
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Dino Scream3232

Received my wave 2 order yesterday. Got the notification late Friday. What an incredible set!! The Pachyrhinosaurus is definitely the standout of this wave. I'm having so much fun playing with them lol. Here's a few pics of the Pachyrhinosaurus and my review. https://youtu.be/-VT-XOtJE08

andrewsaurus rex

does anyone have a link to a good site that outlines the differences between the 3 Pachyrhinosaurus species?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 26, 2021, 07:08:04 PM
does anyone have a link to a good site that outlines the differences between the 3 Pachyrhinosaurus species?

This is a good vidual of the differences between species/specimens:

Note that P. lakustai has more of a saddle shaped boss, ridges in front of the nostril, more widely spaced eye and nose boss, and of course the frill horn(s).

Faelrin

D @Dino Scream3232 Congrats on getting your hands on all of those. They look amazing. I definitely got to get around to getting that Einiosaurus and Spiclypeus next year. That size comparison I saw with your Spinosaurus helps show how big that Pachyrhinosaurus is too. I hope I'll have space for all these behemoths when I finally get my hands on them, never mind some of the tyrannosaurs too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

Thanks Dinoguy2  Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to be working.

iirc perotorum is the most recent species discovered and Canadensis is the largest...a few years ago a skull was found that was a bit over 2 meters long, I believe.  I've noticed that size estimates for Pachyrhinosaurus are all over the place.  Everything from a little over 5 meters to 8 meters.  Part of that is probably variation between species and part is probably the usual exaggerations that happen.   I'm surprised BOTM did lakustai instead of Canadensis, given it's the largest species and they made such a large figure.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 27, 2021, 05:50:45 PM
Thanks Dinoguy2  Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to be working.

iirc perotorum is the most recent species discovered and Canadensis is the largest...a few years ago a skull was found that was a bit over 2 meters long, I believe.  I've noticed that size estimates for Pachyrhinosaurus are all over the place.  Everything from a little over 5 meters to 8 meters.  Part of that is probably variation between species and part is probably the usual exaggerations that happen.   I'm surprised BOTM did lakustai instead of Canadensis, given it's the largest species and they made such a large figure.

Does this one work? As you can see, the large size estimates are probably based on the big specimen of C. canadensis. Most are bigger than your average Centrosaurine but not enormous.

andrewsaurus rex

you can see from that illustration that lakustai was not very big...5 meters-ish, so about 11-12 inches in 1/18.  The BOTM figure is 15 inches and well over 5 inches tall at the top of the back, so another figure that's over scale. 

It's about the size of a large p. canadensis; that's why I said in my earlier post I don't understand why they just didn't make a p. canadensis in the first place.

thanks for posting the image.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 28, 2021, 12:46:39 AM
you can see from that illustration that lakustai was not very big...5 meters-ish, so about 11-12 inches in 1/18.  The BOTM figure is 15 inches and well over 5 inches tall at the top of the back, so another figure that's over scale. 

It's about the size of a large p. canadensis; that's why I said in my earlier post I don't understand why they just didn't make a p. canadensis in the first place.

thanks for posting the image.

Yeah I'm getting a little sick of everything being P. lakustai. I assume because it has the most interesting "horn" configuration. But the big P. canadensis would make a really unique looking figure, it has almost a dome headed look.

suspsy

I am also heartily sick of P. lakustai. Also sick of Triceratops horridus for that matter. I asked David at the start of the ceratopsian project to go with T. prorsus instead, but he opted to stick with what was more popular. Don't fault him for that reasoning, but I probably would have bought the juvenile Triceratops if only it were a prorsus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dino Scream3232

Quote from: Faelrin on April 27, 2021, 05:27:41 PM
D @Dino Scream3232 Congrats on getting your hands on all of those. They look amazing. I definitely got to get around to getting that Einiosaurus and Spiclypeus next year. That size comparison I saw with your Spinosaurus helps show how big that Pachyrhinosaurus is too. I hope I'll have space for all these behemoths when I finally get my hands on them, never mind some of the tyrannosaurs too.
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Shelf space has been at a premium long before this line shipped lol. Plan on redoing my studio room soon with more shelves. I'm going all in on the tyrannosaur series (may possible skip the 1:6 scale ones). And I agree with avatar_suspsy @suspsy. Wish he went with one of the two other Pachyrhinosaur species. But I see a lot of potential in this line past wave 3. All the bodies are sculpted. Just need some new heads to easily add new species. I could see a few new figures being released in the future.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wonder why David didn't just make a different head?  It does look like the Triceratops Adult will have optional brow horns. 

It looks like that's the most well known Pachyrhino species, if the skeletal is anything to go by, one reason I did my life size version based on it too.

andrewsaurus rex

That's interesting DinoScream, I hadn't considered the possibility of reusing bodies with new heads for future releases,  but it certainly is a very realistic possibility..

Dino Scream3232

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 28, 2021, 05:46:17 PM

That's interesting DinoScream, I hadn't considered the possibility of reusing bodies with new heads for future releases,  but it certainly is a very realistic possibility..
Yeah I really hope that happens A @andrewsaurus. If the line continues to sell well it'll most likely happen. David did have a lot more species planned. The Kickstarter was supposed to be two parts. But he cut back on species and went with one campaign. Lots of potential with the unmade species in these pics.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: