News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2021, 07:54:33 PM
Has anyone here experienced any quality control issues with their ceratopsians? I've seen a couple of disturbing reports on Facebook where lower jaws or even heads have broken off.  :-\

In my case when I get the BoTM medusaceratops and kosmoceratops from everythingdinosaur I am not going to move their joints. Although they are designed to move the joints and even to pose and play with them, for me they are collectible figures that must be taken care of. In fact, theropod figures with jointed jaws from the entire range of toy dinosaur brands I don't usually touch, for a simple reason they give themselves away.

That is one of my arguments as I have already commented countless times so I do not like figures of dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals with articulated body parts. They have their pros such as the gameplay and more detailed jaws and other body parts are seen, but also their cons break much more easily if their articulated parts are forced than figures of a single non-articulated piece. I am not in favor of articulated body parts, but since I see that this is something inevitable, people want dinosaurs to be in a certain way articulated, brands of toy dinosaurs have to look for alternatives to prevent the figures from breaking as you comment or by at least slow down the breakage or imperfection of the toy prematurely as you are commenting.

My opinion is not to move the figure to have it on a low shelf or in a display case because the BoTM figures, even if they are articulated, are more figures to look like a small ceramic statue, for example.

Eocarcharia

I've yet to have any issues with joints or anything breaking. The worst QC I have had is a couple of sloppily painted eyes. That, and the tendency of the paint in general to chip and flake off.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 06, 2021, 04:02:57 PM
I've yet to have any issues with joints or anything breaking. The worst QC I have had is a couple of sloppily painted eyes. That, and the tendency of the paint in general to chip and flake off.

They will have to review these defects a brand of the entity of BoTM. It is not good that the quality of the product, in this case ceratopsids, suffers negatively.

On the one hand I see that he has problems with his joints, broken joints and on the other hand he has problems with painting. I see that the wonderful and well-modeled BoTM figures have manufacturing defects, that should be solved because it can cause a rout of customers when buying their products that will not be an impediment to buy the BoTM medusaceratops and kosmoceratops in everythingdinosaur for this way to give an opinion, I will not be able to give an objective opinion until I have the product in my hands and see the figures in people, especially one of wave 3 of BoTM such as the kosmoceratops that by DTF members has received many criticisms in terms of low quality , and I understand that perhaps they are not unfounded, but in my case I was pleasantly surprised. Time to time.

Eocarcharia

Didn't see this posted here yet, so I'll do it now: Images of the 1/18 scale Psittacosaurus.

andrewsaurus rex

are these little figures of the Psittaco and the raptors going to have their own packaging or just be in little plastic bags?  Any word on price?

Eocarcharia

As far as I have seen there hasn't been any official word on either of those things. But it's very possible I missed something. David has said that preorders for the Psittacosaurus and the two Protoceratops should be up within the next month. I also remember him saying something about releasing the small ceratopsians and raptors in 2-packs, but he might have dropped that idea.

andrewsaurus rex

ok thanks for all the great info.  Looking forward to all the little critters...

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 17, 2021, 08:48:11 AM
I was sure they were meant to be single releases.
They probably are now, I think the 2-pack idea was scrapped.

Packaging mock-ups from Wave 3:

QuoteThe Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series wave 3 preproduction is well underway and with larger bodies come larger box sizes. Here are some recent packaging mock ups from the factory for the new figures- Pentaceratops even gets its own unique box size due to its giant frill!

suspsy

It would be really awesome if David started making some of the small ceratopsians he was originally planning to include in the series at 1/18 scale. Leptoceratops would certainly be welcome!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Okay, have I been under a rock? Why does the adult Triceratops have replacement horns?

stargatedalek

They look to be the same shape too, just extras. Is one pair soft for safety and one hard maybe?

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 17, 2021, 08:44:42 PM
They look to be the same shape too, just extras. Is one pair soft for safety and one hard maybe?

I dunno about that. We all know these figures aren't intended for rough play, that's been clear from the very beginning, so what would be the point of including a pair of soft horns? And why does only the Triceratops have them?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on May 17, 2021, 09:22:29 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 17, 2021, 08:44:42 PM

I dunno about that. We all know these figures aren't intended for rough play, that's been clear from the very beginning, so what would be the point of including a pair of soft horns? And why does only the Triceratops have them?
Only this and the Torosaurus have particularly long horns that are also relatively straight, so if it was both of them I'd say safety is a fair guess, but you're right and it is less likely given that Torosaurus doesn't have them.

Perhaps durability then? These are action figures, not statues, so if the tips are particularly fragile an alternate softer pair makes sense.

Concavenator

I remember having seen that the reason for the changeable horns was for the people that bought the "juvenile" Triceratops as a juvenile and not as a 1:35 scale version (even if it still serves as one), so the other horns would give the "adult" Triceratops a more grown up feel.

andrewsaurus rex

WAVE 3 is up for preorder on BBTS so I am officially getting excited.  Of the seven figures, only Utaceratops is actually 1/18.  The others are all a bit on the big side, but nothing glaring like Zuniceratops, Avaceratops and Centrosaurus.  The only one i'm still not 100% sure about is the Triceratops adult.  But if it turns out to be too large i'm going to use it as an Eotriceratops.  :)

Andanna

Is there a site showing where David got the inspiration for the colors from? 

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Andanna on May 28, 2021, 01:49:33 PM
Is there a site showing where David got the inspiration for the colors from?

Yep; David posted the various inspirations for the ceratopsians here.
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

For anyone who is scale conscious, the Wendiceratops figure seems to be too big, by about 20% or so, so closer to 1/15 than 1/18.

It's a bit tough to find good info to verify this but going by this skeletal reconstruction:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Wendiceratops_skeletal_reconstruction.PNG

I scaled the skull length to be about 48 to 50 inches.  The head on the BOTM figure is about 3 1/2 inches long, which is 63 inches.  Even allowing for some soft tissue and measuring error, it's a good 15% to 20% too big.

The BOTM figure is about 4 1/2 inches high to the top of the back and it should be a bit under 4 inches, so again about 15%

There have been lots of Wendiceratops remains found, of a variety of different specimens (at least 3 adults and one juvenile), so maybe there were bigger ones found than what the skeletal restoration portrays, but I have found no evidence of that.

So for now, this is how big I think Wendiceratops actually was:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/8e0657fd-321b-49fe-941e-c71ef10a532b/dcn6ijn-be57de90-3f04-4f5e-8c66-b1ab14edcc74.png/v1/fill/w_1600,h_1200,q_80,strp/wendiceratops_by_cisiopurple_dcn6ijn-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzhlMDY1N2ZkLTMyMWItNDlmZS05NDFlLWM3MWVmMTBhNTMyYlwvZGNuNmlqbi1iZTU3ZGU5MC0zZjA0LTRmNWUtOGM2Ni1iMWFiMTRlZGNjNzQucG5nIiwiaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMjAwIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTE2MDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uud2F0ZXJtYXJrIl0sIndtayI6eyJwYXRoIjoiXC93bVwvOGUwNjU3ZmQtMzIxYi00OWZlLTk0MWUtYzcxZWYxMGE1MzJiXC9jaXNpb3B1cnBsZS00LnBuZyIsIm9wYWNpdHkiOjk1LCJwcm9wb3J0aW9ucyI6MC40NSwiZ3Jhdml0eSI6ImNlbnRlciJ9fQ.paRmXvxegYkfR8OPRIAUhFipIz7LVuwisC3vggG3DoE

and that's a fair bit smaller than the BOTM figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: