News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenestra

I'm happy to see some "action" pictures!
It gives a whole better idea of all the things you could do with your beautiful Ceratopsyosalin.
I must say that I certainly like the work that is put in to hide ugly ball joints. Kudos.
Anyone who ever collected action figures knows that the overall beautiful look of a figure in static position can be killed swiftly after ugly exposed ball joints as soon as you start posing it. Yikes!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on March 16, 2019, 06:07:35 PM

Another shot of the Centrosaurus sculpt. That Stormtrooper better watch out!

Are these supposed to be in scale with 3.75" action figures? And if so, is there a 10 ft centosaur skull I'm not aware of!? Compared to that Stormtrooper, the Centrosaurus looks well over twice maximum known size (6m).

Or is it supposed to be 1/12 and he just grabbed a random figure?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Flaffy

Might just go for the "monoclonius", not a huge fan of the way David did the curved horn on the adult Centrosaurus.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 21, 2019, 11:46:56 PM

Are these supposed to be in scale with 3.75" action figures? And if so, is there a 10 ft centosaur skull I'm not aware of!? Compared to that Stormtrooper, the Centrosaurus looks well over twice maximum known size (6m).

If the Centrosaurus is that big, i'm getting worried about the Triceratops. A toy the size of a small dog seems excessive.

Digibasherx

The raptors were 1/12, and I believe the Ceratopsians are 1/12 as well.

Creature

Silva confirmed on the Instagram post from that image that the trooper is 3.75" as they're mostly 1/18 scaled figures.  The raptors were 1/6, so the protoceratops and psitticosaurus will be as well.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Digibasherx on March 22, 2019, 01:36:42 AM

The raptors were 1/12, and I believe the Ceratopsians are 1/12 as well.

Nope, all the raptors were 1/6 scale and the Ceratopsians are 1/18 scale, except for a few which are 1/6 scale to fit with the raptors

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 22, 2019, 12:39:54 AM

If the Centrosaurus is that big, i'm getting worried about the Triceratops. A toy the size of a small dog seems excessive.

Totally agree with you I like big dinosaurs but without exaggerating a triceratops of Beasts of the Mesozoic big as a small dog does not interest me in my collection. For example I would have bought a huanghetitan from PNSO but at a more restrained size, but for that price and with that size it is preferable to adopt a pet as a German shepherd.

I have the PNSO chungkingosaurus and honestly it is as if I had bought a companion animal (it is immense) at the most I prefer medium-large dinosaurs but without being huge except the pterosaurs Supreme de Collecta other figures for that size are excessive.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 22, 2019, 08:48:13 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 22, 2019, 12:39:54 AM

Totally agree with you I like big dinosaurs but without exaggerating a triceratops of Beasts of the Mesozoic big as a small dog does not interest me in my collection. For example I would have bought a huanghetitan from PNSO but at a more restrained size, but for that price and with that size it is preferable to adopt a pet as a German shepherd.

I have the PNSO chungkingosaurus and honestly it is as if I had bought a companion animal (it is immense) at the most I prefer medium-large dinosaurs but without being huge except the pterosaurs Supreme de Collecta other figures for that size are excessive.

The Chunkingosaurus is more akin to having a Chihuahua, it's really not that big. Even the Huenghetitan is smaller than the Horizon Brachio, Playskool Ultra, ect... and all are definitely a lot smaller than a German Shepherd. I wouldn't even lump adopting a pet into the same discussion as a acquiring a model or a toy.  It's like saying should I buy a model of a Iguana or buy a real Iguana. Cost is gonna hit you harder on a real animal in a variety of ways.  lol

LeapingLaelaps

Regarding the sizes, here's something David made a while ago to show how large the Ceratopsians will be. Please note that the 1/6th scale Ceratopsians are just an example, they're NOT going to be that scale.

The Triceratops is going to be massive, but there will be a juvenile which will be smaller.

terrorchicken

they're actually not that big, about the size of one of the Jurassic World roarivores ceratopsians, no?

suspsy

I reckon the Triceratops and the Torosaurus will be roughly around the size of the Triceratops from the original JP like by Kenner.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

I had the original JP Triceratops (I gave it to the son of a distant relative) and I can say that it was much smaller than the PNSO chungkingosaurus. That would mean that the figure is not as big as I would have imagined. If that is confirmed with the revelations of Beasts of the Mesozoic it would be good news for me, since I could show it on my shelves in a prominent place.

Dinoguy2

That Centrosaurus is clearly 1/12 scale, not 1/18. At 1/18 the skull would be shorter than the Stormtrooper and the body would be around 3 and a half stormtroopers long (6m, assuming each Stormtrooper is a bit under 2m tall).

The skull of the centrosaurus compared to the 1/18 Stormtrooper looks about right for a very large Triceratops, in line with the largest ceratopsids on record.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

Placing my bet here that Safari will drop a Watson-sculpted Centrosaurus for 2020 and then the BotM one will be moot for the scale-conscious.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LeapingLaelaps

In other non-size news, look! The armor almost fits him!

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 23, 2019, 01:28:04 PM
That Centrosaurus is clearly 1/12 scale, not 1/18. At 1/18 the skull would be shorter than the Stormtrooper and the body would be around 3 and a half stormtroopers long (6m, assuming each Stormtrooper is a bit under 2m tall).

The skull of the centrosaurus compared to the 1/18 Stormtrooper looks about right for a very large Triceratops, in line with the largest ceratopsids on record.

Exactly. The Centrosaurus already looks bigger than the 1/18 Triceratops in the size chart above, and already far surpassing the JW roarivores in size. If he wants all the ceratopsians to be consistent with each other, the Trike is going to have to be up to 8' tall at the hips. It'd be able to look the mattel T. rex in the eyes.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 23, 2019, 05:09:25 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 23, 2019, 01:28:04 PM

Exactly. The Centrosaurus already looks bigger than the 1/18 Triceratops in the size chart above, and already far surpassing the JW roarivores in size. If he wants all the ceratopsians to be consistent with each other, the Trike is going to have to be up to 8' tall at the hips. It'd be able to look the mattel T. rex in the eyes.
At 18 inches long 8 inches high is perfectly natural. The small Mattel rex is more like 1:25 scale as opposed to Kenner's more or less 1:20.

If these really were 1:12 they would scale with the Mattel colossal rex.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely Beasts of the Mesozoic make nice dinosaurs but on a scale I understand that in the future it would be very big for the sauropods to give an example, the Beasts of the Mesozoic centroaurus looks great.

Certainly Halichoeres was right in his bet that Safari made a centrosaurus that competed in beauty with that of Beasts of the Mesozoic. The truth is that the centrosaurus made by BoTM is great.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on March 23, 2019, 03:47:47 PM

In other non-size news, look! The armor almost fits him!

Hah! I asked David to do it! lol   I love that, wish he could mock up some armor and a figure as an exclusive.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: