News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 22, 2020, 01:48:16 PM
I am a quite happy fellow today! Finally got my Carnegie 1988 (Gold Wash???) Brachiosaurus and of course, my really sought after "catalog version" of the striped Carnegie Stegosaurus, which has pure white on it's plates. I am deeply thankful for the heads up D @Dinoguy2
Now I only need to get the Baby Apatosaurus and my 1988 set will be complete, not counting slightly variations of paint app.

Congrats! The Brachiosaurus is still the only one of the original variant I'm missing, not counting the color variant of Allosaurus (I have the brown and yellow one, but I think the green and maroon one came out first).

I actually have an extra original baby Apatosaurus if you're interested...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ikessauro

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 22, 2020, 02:10:54 PM

Congrats! The Brachiosaurus is still the only one of the original variant I'm missing, not counting the color variant of Allosaurus (I have the brown and yellow one, but I think the green and maroon one came out first).

I actually have an extra original baby Apatosaurus if you're interested...

Thanks D @Dinoguy2  I am interested on the Apato, for sure. I might have an extra Allo, not sure if it's the one you are looking for. I'll send you a few pics once I get to check it.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro I congratulate you on your acquisition of Carnegie brachiosaurus of 1988 is a complete jewel (metaphorically speaking) and that is increasingly rare and expensive in many cases in the eBay toy market.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 22, 2020, 03:28:41 PM
avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro I congratulate you on your acquisition of Carnegie brachiosaurus of 1988 is a complete jewel (metaphorically speaking) and that is increasingly rare and expensive in many cases in the eBay toy market.

Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus

Sim

My relatively recent acquisitions are the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus and Allosaurus, and the Safari feathered dinos toob with new colour schemes.  The Stegosaurus and Allosaurus are excellent.  I can't imagine how anyone could dislike these figures unless they really dislike their colouration.  They join my Safari Sauropelta and 2017 Velociraptor, Coelophysis and Microraptor.

I got the feathered dinos toob for the Beipiaosaurus and Dilong, both of which are little gems.  I chose the toob with the new colour schemes as the Beipiaosaurus's colouration is closer to its known colouration than the original was, I think.  Additionally, even though the only paint on the Dilong is for its eyes I prefer it to the original version because the black of the original made details hard to see.  I've also received a feathered dinos toob with the original colour schemes but I'm planning to return it unless anyone here wants it?

The changed colour schemes for the toob figures makes me wonder why Safari hasn't been releasing some repaints of Wild Safari figures.  The Carnegie Collection had a year where lots of repaints were released, and Papo has been releasing repaints too.  I'm aware Safari released a repaint of the oldest WS T. rex.  It could be interesting if some newer Safari figures got new colour schemes, I'm thinking of figures released for 2013 or 2014 onwards.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on January 22, 2020, 10:25:59 PM
The changed colour schemes for the toob figures makes me wonder why Safari hasn't been releasing some repaints of Wild Safari figures.  The Carnegie Collection had a year where lots of repaints were released, and Papo has been releasing repaints too.  I'm aware Safari released a repaint of the oldest WS T. rex.  It could be interesting if some newer Safari figures got new colour schemes, I'm thinking of figures released for 2013 or 2014 onwards.

It looks like the new Toob figures aren't so much "repaints" as they are reduced/simplified paint applications to reduce cost and divert the budget towards newer sets. And as you say, Safari has done repaints of old WS models like the T. rex, Allosaurus, Spinosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and a few others. I expect we'll see more if the models from the last few years remain in production as long as those have. Other than the paint variants around the initial launch, it was over 10 years before we saw any Carnegie repaints, and that was only for a couple of models - they didn't do a full line refresh until close to the 20th anniversary of the line.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ikessauro

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 23, 2020, 12:29:43 PM
It looks like the new Toob figures aren't so much "repaints" as they are reduced/simplified paint applications to reduce cost and divert the budget towards newer sets.

That is correct! I first noticed it with the Prehistoric Life toob, then after that the dino skulls and to my dismay, with the prehistoric sharks toob. I had the original release of the tube, sold it here thinking I'd just get another and it had been discontinued. The only available one was well overpriced, but I bit the bullet, made the seller an offer a little lower and got it. What a disappointment that was. So much worse paint app then the original.

Happily I manage to find an original release set of sharks in a used lot of small toob figures on eBAy. They all look perfectly painted.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Sim @Sim I congratulate you on your new acquisitions, in fact, Carnegie's beipiaosaurus and dilong are true artistic works within dinosaur toys.

On the other hand the Safari stegosaurus and allosaurus made by Doug Watson in 2019, are the best of their kind. At least that seems to me although Rebor's stegosaurus armatus is another figure to consider.

I really like your analysis on the tonalities of dinosaur painting. I'm glad for you.

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 23, 2020, 01:27:54 PM
avatar_Sim @Sim I congratulate you on your new acquisitions, in fact, Carnegie's beipiaosaurus and dilong are true artistic works within dinosaur toys.

On the other hand the Safari stegosaurus and allosaurus made by Doug Watson in 2019, are the best of their kind. At least that seems to me although Rebor's stegosaurus armatus is another figure to consider.

I really like your analysis on the tonalities of dinosaur painting. I'm glad for you.

Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, although the Beipiaosaurus and Dilong aren't the Carnegie versions, they are the Safari toob versions.

Halichoeres

Interesting, I didn't know that we had information on the coloration of Beipiaosaurus. I would re-buy that Toob if they re-painted the Microraptor black, although the tail would still be wrong.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, Beipiaosaurus had brown neck feathers according to this: https://www.deviantart.com/albertonykus/art/In-Living-Color-Maybe-613196380  The paper it's from is linked to in the description area.

Although official images for the recoloured toob show the Beipiaosaurus as having the same colour as it originally had, it actually looks quite different.  The new toob Beipiaosaurus can be seen in the last photo of the original post here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7558.0

Dinoxels

Recent Safari Haul.
Edit: Is it just me or is the image not showing? ???
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Ikessauro

Quote from: Dinoxels on January 24, 2020, 12:15:01 AM

Recent Safari Haul.

I don't see it in your post.

Piltdown 龍

Hard to believe I liquidated my Papo collection in exchange for this, but there you go  ;D
By Grace of God Defender of toothy, lipless, featherless tyrannosaurs

Kotori_Sonoda

Quote from: MagicGlueLong on January 24, 2020, 08:23:37 AM

Hard to believe I liquidated my Papo collection in exchange for this, but there you go  ;D

Impressive!
Is that the entire line up?
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

Piltdown 龍

avatar_Kotori_Sonoda @Kotori_Sonoda Thanks :) I'm just missing the Indoraptor, but I doubt I'll get it, I've come across it once and thought it looked like a demonic mouse  :-X
By Grace of God Defender of toothy, lipless, featherless tyrannosaurs

Killekor

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 24, 2020, 12:30:00 AM

Recent Safari Haul.

I don't see it in your post.

avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels I can't see it either.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Loon

Recently found this lot of old school Carnegies. It was a particularly good deal for $14 shipped. Unfortunately the seller crammed them all into an envelope, without any packing material. They all made it out ok, though, the allosaurus' tail was sticking out of the corner if the envelope.

But, I really bought the lot for this:

I've been looking for a Carnegie Protoceratops for a bit, but, they never seem to pop up. So, I jumped on this lot when I saw them.

Figured I'd throw this little one in. This Placerias was found behind our washing machine. I'd been looking for this figure for a bit, so I'm happy it's returned to me.

Ravonium

Recent Safari Haul.

Paste the code below into your post, and the image should show :)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JH7bULA.png[/img]

Dinoxels

avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium Thanks.

Got two Dilos by accident.  :P
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: