News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Camarasaurus, Carnotaurus, Styracosaurus!! Until now my previsions came true!!  :)

Flaffy

The prestosuchus and citipati were definitely unexpected, and I'm not complaining  ;)
These new releases look fabulous.

The styracosaurus has an awesome paint job, really hope to see future releases adopt similar levels of detail on their paint.

SBell

It goes without saying, that Prestosuchus will be in my collection ASAP!

Really, they're all awesome. But I am trying to focus on certain groups now--and weird crurotarsans-things are right near the top of the non-fish list!

Neosodon

All these figures have amazing paint jobs. And look overall just amazing. So long college savings and better luck next year collecta! ^-^

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Doug Watson

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 03, 2018, 01:17:51 AM
If you know me you'll know how happy I am for another ceratopsian. I just have a question about it and it is about the frill spikes, I didn't know they were curved like that, the favorite one has them more straight. I haven't seen the Collecta in person, how are they positioned in it? I think the Battat one has them a bit curved like that doesn't it? But wow that coloration is lovely and more intricate than most Safari ceratopsians, they are usually two tones. This has oranges and greens in different tones and the white underbelly and dark back stripes.
Citipati looks just as lovely as Anzu, but less bright in colors, still very nice. I hope is stable, since doesn't have any aid of the wings to stand like Anzu.

The spikes should have a slight curve but this one appears to have suffered some slight distortion in packing and shipping, a heat and cool job should fix them. When I have a chance maybe when all are revealed I'll post images again of the original sculpt so you can see how they should be.
To answer others who have speculated, so far all six are mine.

Jose S.M.

I'm so happy about the Camarasaurus, I've been waiting for it since... Since I started my collection! The Prestosuchus looks great, I like it's coloration.

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson thanks for the answer!

Syndicate Bias

Oh I was gonna post his vid. Nvm whoops lol. I'm kinda getting worried there won't be a Concavenator this year :c

ITdactyl

I'm sorry I have to let this out.  I hope Safari stops using flat white in their color schemes.  There, I said it.

Back on topic, I'm excited for that vanilla Styracosaurus (all the sculpts are awesome, but ol'spikes is the one that "speaks" to me).  'Still hoping for a stegosaur.

Shonisaurus

I just saw all six works by Doug Watson and they are totally great.

The styracosaurus of Safari 2019 is perhaps a styracosaurus on a large scale (as I like it) and with a less conservative but equally attractive coloration. That does have the curved head peaks but Doug Watson said they are manufacturing errors he does not really have them. It is as great as the other companies but honestly this seems to me much more scientific and an outstanding improvement compared to their Carnegie and Safari counterparts.

The citipati is immense! The size is of the same scale as the styracosaurus so it makes that figure the largest oviraptor made so far. Their eyes are realistic and they are typical of a bird, they are not humanized and the colors are avant-garde. I suppose that in this way no person believes that this painting is a plagiarism of paleoartistic works of paleoartists as it happened this year unjustly with the anzu, certainly another great work.

I think that the avant-garde coloration of all dinosaurs and prehistoric animals like presterosuchus made by Doug Watson is due to that problem presented by this year's anzu and to avoid problems Doug has decided to put those war colors to avoid problems with the rights of Author.

On the other hand the presterosuchus is perhaps one of my favorite figures of Safari 2019 its teeth are differentiated, detailed and painted correctly. Its scales and in general all the details of the body as claws are beautifully sculpted and are scientifically correct. His eyes are typical of a reptile. It is one of my favorite figures (in general they are all I do not know which one to choose).

The camarasaurus has paint colors like the styracosaurus and the anzu a little flashy but it makes him the best figure of Camarasaurus Safari surpassing that of other brands including Carnegie. Tiptoi and Geoworld are not up to this great work and most importantly Doug has made it non-static, on the move it is perhaps the best paleoesculpture made to date for that species. It seems to be done on a large scale as I have seen it in the video, it does not cover two hands, so I think it will be made to the same scale as the amargasaurus if I am not mistaken.

On the other hand the coelodonta antiquitatis or woolly rhinoceros is the best done to date, surpassing that of other companies and unfortunately discontinued for collectors.

Finishing up carnotaurus makes a nice couple with his Carnegie counterpart and I congratulate Doug that he has not been carried away by the fashion of making theropods with articulated jaws and I say this with total respect to the members of the forum who are in favor of articulated jaws.

Minmiminime

Excellent review, avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus 😄 I've got up this morning to far too much excitement, I am severely hyped for these models. Phew!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

ceratopsian

Kudos to whoever it was at Safari that came up with this excellent and inspired way of announcing the new lineup.  Last year's manner of release was briefly intriguing but swiftly irritating!

What delights we have to look forward to!  Doug has produced some lovely, high-quality sculpts.  I don't need another Styracosaurus but I certainly won't pass up this gem.  At last Safari has come up with a commercial paint scheme to match the superb quality of Doug's sculpts (and not just for the Styracosaurus - I think the paint scheme is a real hike upwards on all those models shown so far).  I love the look of the Citipati - I just hope it has less stability issues than my Anzu which is in need of a second hot-water treatment, which I won't bother to perform until the current heatwave ends.  What a beautiful, stately Camarasaurus.  I like the pose very much, also the colours and pattern chosen.  I won't be passing up the Prestosuchus either.  I haven't previously bought crocodilomorphs (not sure that's exactly the right term) but I would like more Triassic representation in my collection.  The Carnotaurus is elegant and striking, but I'll probably pass over it not for any shortcomings on its part but purely because of the focus of my collection and the need to save some space.  And the only mammals I collect are from the elephant family, so again the Woolly Rhino is a lovely model but just not for me.  Congratulations to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson on his work and thanks to him for the pleasure he gives.  And to avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus for his excellent review.

I wonder how many more treasures are still to come?

MLMjp

Wow, all this news in the course of one night!

That is the most BEAUTIFUL Styracosaurus I have ever seen. It's already my second most wanted figure of 2019; behind Mattel's Brachiosaurus.

The Citipati is in some ways an improvement over the Anzu, which is already avery good figure.
That Prestosucus looks amazing, although I don' t know if I need that creature in my collection.

The Camarasaurus reminds me a lot if the classic carnegie style. It's a very nice figure. If it the same size as the Carnegie Camarasarus, I might pick it up, if it is smaller, I will pass on it.

So far Carnotaurus and Styracosaurus are in my "must have" list.

Now please, please, please, give us Stegosaurus and Allosaurus, please.

Edit: Safari has improved a lot in terms of paint aplication, these new figures are much better painted than previous years, which helps bringing out the details of the sculpts.

PhilSauria

Pretty much all of the releases so far are on my list but - a BIG sauropod - top of the list! That will be the first one that I order come release day here in Aus. Our reviewer should up the wattage in his desk lamps as the reveals were a tad too much obscured by shadow for my liking, but I have seen enough to know what I like and I like these.

Likewise I am also hanging out for an updated Allosaurus and Stegosaurus, two of the classic animals that deserve the sort of quality we are getting these days. Hope that the reveals continue at this pace, of course then we will have the wait until they are available to order. More time to fatten up the wallet I guess.

Glad that a comment on a new big sauropod is the subject of my 500th here!

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on August 03, 2018, 11:04:57 AM

The Camarasaurus reminds me a lot if the classic carnegie style. It's a very nice figure. If it the same size as the Carnegie Camarasarus, I might pick it up, if it is smaller, I will pass on it.

Why? That's not rational  ??? Usually its the other way around for folks because of storage space or something.

Personally, I love the Camarasaurus . The pose is elegant (and, incredibly unique) and I have a feeling the model will reach iconic status in a few years. The paint job style is reminiscent of Battat (but, in a good way)

The Presterosuchus can easily rival the best of Papos. The detail is exquisite. It already ranks above the Postosuchus in my list and that was a tier 1 Safari figure.

Along with the Carno and Styraco and Wooly Rhino, it looks like there's 5 must haves...and they haven't finished revealing the products.

Faelrin

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Thanks for letting us know so early that these first six are yours.

Okay so after watching the next video on these, yet again I am in love with them. Man, I don't know how I'm going to do it, because I want all of them. My Cenozoic figures are going to need to find a new home to make room for all these (or I get a new shelf for the Mesozoic collection). I guess I'll have to change some things around and see what works for now.

So the Prestosuchus looks like the Postosuchus and Acrocanthosaurus had a baby (with a little Kaprosuchus thrown in). Like in terms of color scheme, creature, sculpt. Really fantastic looking. I also didn't even know what a Prestosuchus was beforehand either, so great way to learn about a species that I haven't heard of before. I will definitely be looking forward to seeing how it compares with Postosuchus and Kaprosuchus (I'd still like to get these two at some point).

So while we don't have a new Brachiosaurus (yet at least), I think this new Camarasaurus more then makes up for it, by being one of its relatives. Wow. Now that Apatosaurus on my shelf can have a friend, and one that its more closely related too (though a new Stegosaurus and Allosaurus are both welcome). I really like the grey, with brown striping, and the white mottling on the belly and neck area. One look at that face, and you can tell this is a gentle giant.

Also can we talk about how amazing the color schemes on all of these figures have been so far? I'm stunned. Like while I"m okay with some of the older figures more simpler color schemes (I suppose I'll use the Deinocheirus as an example here), these all seem to have upped their game (maybe it's the patterns or addition of more colors, and/or color choices).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

The Styracosaurus is impressive, but I also find it underwhelming.  The reason I find it underwhelming is because there's been so many Wild Safari ceratopsids now, pretty much non-stop since 2012.  It's basically seeing the same animal just with a different frill/horn arrangement repeatedly.  I understand this isn't a problem for some people, but I just can't feel much for this Styracosaurus.  I've seen almost the same figure before many times now through the 7 previous WS ceratopsids that have been made since 2012, so it doesn't have much to make it interesting for me.  The one thing I find interesting about this figure is its colouration, which I'm very impressed by.  I don't think it's enough to make me want to get this Styracosaurus though.  I might have wanted it if WS ceratopsids hadn't been made so frequently.

Another reason I dislike how often Safari has been making ceratopsids is that it prevents a better range of diversity to be made.  While I think Wild Safari is leading the way with regards to representing prehistoric diversity well, it's painfully apparent to me that it's overrepresenting ceratopsids at the cost of other types of dinosaurs/prehistoric animals.  I think it's fine that more popular groups get more attention, and that it's also fine to have a number of similar animals in a figure line, when it is in good proportion.

MLMjp

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 03, 2018, 11:47:40 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on August 03, 2018, 11:04:57 AM

Why? That's not rational  ??? Usually its the other way around for folks because of storage space or something.

Storage is not something one considers when trying to keep scale consistent in a collection. If is not the right scale...it will not bring a smile to my face.

"Perfectly scaled. As all collections should be"

Ravonium

So far, this lineup looks promising. I especially like their choice to make a Prestosuchus, as well as the Citipati (which shouldn't be that unique of a name in the dinotoy-collecting sphere, but is because of a certain related genus it is often marketed as instead).

The Styracosaurus, while being a fairly uninspired choice of ceratopsian, is probably the first rendition of the species I'll get.

Spoiler
Going slightly off-topic, it is also nice to see Safari Ltd utilising their most vocal audience (DinoToy Youtubers) to promote their new products. This is a good way to promote new figures, and keeping it up, this may gradually attract the slightly younger edge of their main audience (for better or for worse) to our spheres, narrowing the divide between these two audiences.
[close]

suspsy

Nice to see Camarasaurus finally receive some love!

Prestosuchus is a neat choice. Looking forward to comparing it alongside the Postosuchus.

Come on, Stegosaurus!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: