News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on August 03, 2018, 05:22:56 PM
I get the point of there being so many ceratopsids. I do like quite a few them though (Diabloceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Regaliceratops, Triceratops, and now this Styracosaurus). Now that there's finally a Styracosaurus (my favorite) I wouldn't mind a break from them for next year's lineup (although I'd still like to see Protoceratops in the same scale of the Feathered Velociraptor, and Pentaceratops done somewhere down the line).

They are my absolute favorite dinosaur group and WS has given me my ceratopsid fix. A shelf full of ceratopsids showcases the intricacies of Natural Selection. It seemed that Papo was going to do the same but they appear to have retired from the game after 4 ceratopsids. Creative Beast is another option. An expensive option.

Honestly, I don't see 1 or 2 ceratopsids a year as taking away from other species. After the absorption of Carnegie, Wild Safari increased their output of models. A person can make a similar argument and say that the increase in prehistoric mammal output has taken away from other species. The truth is that we are all getting more and more animals (familiar classics and obscure) at a much faster rate than in the past. I think everyone wins. Well, at least I know that I do... ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on August 03, 2018, 07:44:42 PM
Quote from: Ravonium on August 03, 2018, 06:10:14 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on August 03, 2018, 06:05:10 PM
Quote from: Takama on August 03, 2018, 05:42:54 PM
Doug, do you mind telling us what species and Scale the Camarasaurus is in? :)

Soitainly, nyuk, nyuk, it is based on Camarasaurus lentus and is 1:40 scale.

Well, avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp, looks like you finally have a sauropod to scale with other large dinosaur figures.
avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium I do have a couple of big sauropods, for example the schleich replicasaurus Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus, the Papo Brachiosaurus (which I use as Giraffatitan) or the carnegie Diplodocus(the two versions in fact). Now that I know that the Camarasaurus has a good size, the real question is: Is it worth buying it just to replace the Carnegie version?

It depends on your intention. Are you looking to fulfill a quota for a given species or to replace one model with a better designed (e.g. aesthetically), more up-to-date interpretation?

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 03, 2018, 07:58:44 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on August 03, 2018, 05:22:56 PM
I get the point of there being so many ceratopsids. I do like quite a few them though (Diabloceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Regaliceratops, Triceratops, and now this Styracosaurus). Now that there's finally a Styracosaurus (my favorite) I wouldn't mind a break from them for next year's lineup (although I'd still like to see Protoceratops in the same scale of the Feathered Velociraptor, and Pentaceratops done somewhere down the line).

They are my absolute favorite dinosaur group and WS has given me my ceratopsid fix. A shelf full of ceratopsids showcases the intricacies of Natural Selection. It seemed that Papo was going to do the same but they appear to have retired from the game after 4 ceratopsids. Creative Beast is another option. An expensive option.

Honestly, I don't see 1 or 2 ceratopsids a year as taking away from other species. After the absorption of Carnegie, Wild Safari increased their output of models. A person can make a similar argument and say that the increase in prehistoric mammal output has taken away from other species. The truth is that we are all getting more and more animals (familiar classics and obscure) at a much faster rate than in the past. I think everyone wins. Well, at least I know that I do... ;)
I win in this too:Styracosaurus has always been one of my childhood favorite dinosaurs since I saw a pair of them block Doug McClure and co.'s path in The Land That Time Forgot,so I am very happy to see a new updated one turn up.And scale is not a factor to me,so I would not pass up on the Camarasaurus no matter what scale it was in. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ivysaur on August 03, 2018, 08:54:56 PM
Never knew who Doug Watson was, but I think he's an awesome guy to be here on the forum.  :-*

Patrx

The dazzling lineup continues! As has been pointed out, Safari really seem to have improved the complexity of paint applications for these; they all look great in that regard. Also, the teeth on that Prestosuchus look nice and sharp compared to the safety-blunted ones on, say, the Safari Plesiosuchus. So far, all of these have a spot on my "to buy" list, but the Citipati, Camarasaurus, Styracosaurus, and Carnotaurus are particularly exciting additions :D

Concavenator

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Did you sculpt that gorgeous Citipati ? I must say it is absolutely stunning, so far I think it is the crown of the lineup  :)

Lizerd

Doug? The real doug? Wow  :o
Nice models!
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Appalachiosaurus

These are fantastic. It might seem strange because of my pfp, but i'm kind of sick of Carnotaurus. That Styracosaurus and Citipati though really tickle my fancy, and I might add the Prestosuchus to the collection too if it looks nice next to the company's Postosuchus.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on August 03, 2018, 11:35:35 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Did you sculpt that gorgeous Citipati ? I must say it is absolutely stunning, so far I think it is the crown of the lineup  :)

Yes I did and the other five as well, thanks.

Syndicate Bias

Doug I can't wait to see your new version of Concavenator whenever that dino gets a go in years to come. Wonder when a spino will be added into the fold

Andreioli

Hey, SpinoDude posted a review of the Carnotaurus:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksg0SMXYLSo

It's quite a large figure.
And also really beautiful  ;D

tanystropheus

Any possibility of Safari making Dale Russell's Dinosauroid and Troodon (perhaps, as a 2 pack) in the future?

tyrantqueen

I like the Camarasaurus. As for the others, I guess I am really am picky, because for me, they're nice, but not mindblowing. I'm not understanding the reaction from everyone :-\

*I'm trying to write this as diplomatically as possible. Maybe it would be a better idea to not say anything at all, but that seems unfair since other companies receive criticism too.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 04, 2018, 12:51:50 PM
I like the Camarasaurus. As for the others, I guess I am really am picky, because for me, they're nice, but not mindblowing. I'm not understanding the reaction from everyone :-\

*I'm trying to write this as diplomatically as possible. Maybe it would be a better idea to not say anything at all, but that seems unfair since other companies receive criticism too.

Honestly, I think the Prestosuchus is the best thing since sliced bread. I mean just look at lol  ^-^ It makes me so happy  :) :)

SidB

Doug, way back on Dec. 4, 2017, on the New for 2018 Safari thread, Reply #1176,  you gave us a breakdown of the scales of your ceratopsians to date. These were (and are): Pachyrhinosaurus, 1:40; Triceratops and Diabolosaurus, 1:35; Nasutosaurus, 1:30; Vagaceratops and Regaliceratops, 1:25 annd Einiosaurus, 1:22.

Could you provide us with the scale of your latest, the remarkable Styracosaurus? I'm counting the days until it hits the market!

suspsy

So is that the lot for preview toys, or did the entire assortment get sent out to lucky folks?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

Reaction is the forum's usual for any new Safari, total praise, nothing new. To be honest I'm not crazy for the Carnotaurus, it looked nice in the unboxing video but the review already revealed the first cracks, i.e. Safari poor rendition of original sculpts. Camarasaurus is ok but I don't like the skin texture at all, plus the colour scheme is not the best. The Citipati is nicer than the Anzu, it's fluffier and more believable as an actual animal, but again colours could be better. The Prestosuchus is an improvement over the Postosuchus, but I wish they used the same crocodilian palette rather than replicate the Acrocanthosaurus colours, albeit in a slightly more complex pattern. The rhino looks a bit cartoony to me, definitely not on par with the Papo interpretation. The Styracosaurus is the only one that's very interesting so far, the paint app looks well executed and subtle for a Safari product, although I'd rather have it repainted if I'd ever get it. Doug's forte have always been ceratopsians, seems like this year he pulled out his best to date. I think this plus the Triceratops, Regaliceratops, Einiosaurus and maybe Pachyrhinosaurus too, would make a great display together. Of course a makeover by a professional like Martin Garratt would bring out all the detail that gets lost in the mass production process.

Ravonium

I agree with you on the Coelodonta (the Papo version is much better) and Carnotaurus (I dislike the Carnegie-inspired paintjob and it is a bit too big for my liking. The Papo version, despite being less accurate, is better in my opinion). I can also somewhat understand why one would find the Styracosaurus underwhelming.

Lizerd

I like those models  for accuracy  :)
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 03, 2018, 07:58:44 PM

Mammals are a very diverse group of animals though, in contrast ceratopsids are a family of fairly similar animals.  If the increase in WS prehistoric mammals is taking away from other species, it's reasonable as it's being done in a way that represents a wide range of diversity.  And I'm saying this as someone who has no interest in prehistoric mammal figures.  Ceratopsids are by far the best represented group of closely related animals in the prehistoric WS line, while other groups have little or no (good) representation.  I don't see another convincing explanation besides slots are given to ceratopsids frequently thus preventing other animals from being represented.  Why else would it reach the type of situation I mentioned in the quote below?:
Quote from: Sim on August 03, 2018, 04:46:59 PM
I think that's why as of 2018 the WS line had 7 decent ceratopsids, no non-sauropod sauropodomorphs, no decent stegosaur figures, very few thyreophorans, no troodontids...

With regards to what you said: "I think everyone wins."  Well, I can tell you that wasn't true for me with the 2018 WS line-up.  Though I'm happy that the WS line is still representing a lot of different kinds of animals, even if I don't want the figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: