News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

For remakes, I'd like a new Ceratosaurus (1:40) with shorter legs and a new and more vibrant paint job. I agree with Takama and want a new and improved Dilophosaurus (1:30-1:40) with a straight posture and nicer color scheme.

For new species, I want Safari to make a Barosaurus (1:40-1:50) possibly bigger and longer than their 2017 Diplodocus.
I would also like a Torvosaurus (1:40 scale) and a large Ichthyosaur (Shonisaurus, Shastasaurus?) with a bluish paint scheme reminiscent of a Dolphins', (1:50-1:60 scale).

Faelrin

At this point I'd really like to see:

• Utahraptor (and/or Deinonychus and/or Dakotaraptor, since no one has made a model of that one yet, unless CollectA has one in store for 2019, if not another company. Zhenyuanlong is another that would be a solid choice, especially in regards to how the integument was preserved. Edit 10/2/19: Well we got Deinonychus now. 1 down, 2 to go?)
  • Borealopelta
  • Pentaceratops
  • Lambeosaurus (and/or Corythosaurus)
  • Dilophosaurus (Edit 10/2/19: They finally did remade this one.)
  • an ichthyosaur (although Carnegie's still looks really good to my untrained eye. Edit 10/2/19: Got a new one, but I'm literally torn between both the old and new one.)
  • Kentrosaurus
  • Protoceratops
  • Baryonyx
  • Cryolophosaurus
  • Ouranosaurus
  • Concavenator (Edit 10/2/19: We got this one now too.)
  • Hatzegopteryx (in a standing pose like this year's Pteranodon, preferably. Like I just really want one of these azhdarchids in that nightmarish stork giraffe pose, especially if they choose to make this ancient Transylvanian species)
  • a terror bird and a new Andrewsarchus (although with it being restored like an entelodont recently, it might not be necessary with the new Daeodon
  • Maybe Basilosaurus too
  • and anything from the Paleozoic (Tiktaalik, Moschops, Estemmenosuchus, Edaphosaurus, Diplocaulus, Anomalocaris, Tully Monster, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

A paraceratherium by Safari and performed by Doug Watson would be a very desirable prehistoric mammal on my part, especially when Collecta's paraceratherium has been discontinued, and if it were on a 1:20 scale I would sincerely appreciate it.

Jose S.M.

I like all the options Faelrin mentioned, I was about to write about more standings pterosaurs, specially Azdarchids. Also I think I'm going to wait on the CollectA Borealopelta, looks great but I have hopes to see one from Doug next year.

Shonisaurus

Although I would like many obscure and new figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals by Safari, I feel that most of their figures will be resculpted and improved figures, so, being realistic, I would like the following figures:

Baryonyx considering that it has become a very popular figure in the toy market and popularized in all prehistoric animal brands.

Tanystropheus is another figure of Carnegie that deserves to be immortalized by Safari although I believe that this figure will not be successful sales.

Protoceratops is a much awaited figure on my part by Safari apart from being a ceraptoside unjustly underrepresented by prehistoric toy animal companies and in this case dinosaurs.

Gorgosaurus and albertosaurus on the part of Safari resculpted would be great and on a much larger scale.

Oviraptor by Safari would be an interesting figure and would continue path of stellar production of oviraptors such as anzu and citipati.

Therizinosaurus or beipiaosaurus are figures of dinosaurs to be reshaped by Safari, with the deinocheirus a therizinosaurus would be interesting, especially when the line of dinosaurs of China disappeared and is an improved version of the therizinosaurus of Great dinos currently marketed by Safari.

Mamenchisaurus is a sauropod that unfortunately is very undervalued and that Safari did in its day in the dinosaurs of China today discontinued.

A syncreptor reissued by Safari would be interesting, on the other hand a yangchaunosaurus reediting the discontinued "Dinosaurs of China" would be another interesting figure.

On the other hand a corythosaurus or a maiasaura (with or without nest) would be two figures reedited by Safari necessary for being known dinosaurs.

Finally if Safari made or launched to the creation of two rare and obscure figures in the dinosaur market or prehistoric toy animals would be something more realistic on my part.

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 24, 2018, 09:25:16 AM
Tanystropheus is another figure of Carnegie that deserves to be immortalized by Safari although I believe that this figure will not be successful sales.

Why do you think Tanystropheus wouldn't have successful sales?  The Carnegie Tanystropheus was released in 2000.  In 2007, it received a repaint.  It was only retired in 2015, when the whole Carnegie Collection was discontinued.  To me, this suggests it sold well - it was produced for 15 years!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 24, 2018, 09:25:16 AM
Oviraptor by Safari would be an interesting figure and would continue path of stellar production of oviraptors such as anzu and citipati.

I don't think Safari has plans to make a new Oviraptor figure.  The Carnegie Oviraptor figures actually represent an oviraptorosaur that currently doesn't have a scientific name, it's the one labelled "D" in this image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oviraptorinaeprofiles.jpg

Oviraptor is known from poor remains which make it impossible to know what it actually looked like.  This image shows what is known of Oviraptor, notice how the part of the skull where a crest could be is not known: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oviraptor_philoceratops_skeleton.jpg

I think Safari made a figure of Citipati instead of Oviraptor, as Citipati has a known appearance, and is known from much better and more informative fossil remains than Oviraptor.  Another way of putting it, is that Citipati has a lot to offer.  And in contrast, Oviraptor has almost nothing to offer, and isn't worth making into a figure.

While we're on the subject of oviraptorosaurs...  I wouldn't want a third year in a row where Safari's only feathered dinosaur is an oviraptorosaur.

Shonisaurus

Totally in agreement with you avatar_Sim @Sim, but independently that they make dinosaurs with feathers different from the family of the oviraptores, they could also realize a gigantoraptor, in this way we would go to oviraptors from highest to lowest anzu, citipati and gigantoraptor (although it is still known by what I read in his day little of his remains since his remains are incomplete).

On the other hand I screwed up on the tanystropheus Carnegie was sold for 15 years until it was discontinued by the disappearance of Carnegie. That would be a good reason for Safari to reedit it with a new sculpture improved next year 2020. Wise reasoning yours and at the same time appreciative of my bad memory about Carnegie's tanystropheus and my scientific ignorance about dinosaurs, in this case the oviraptor.

Sauropelta

There are lots of dinos that are popular with kids thanks to the new jurassic world movies. And I also think children will buy more obscure figures toys that look cool just for the appearance alone. Look how successful mattels toys are right now, some of these dinosaurs are pretty obscure like metriacanthosaurus & Concavenator.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Shonisaurus

For dreaming, I would like an atopodentatus is a marine animal quite obscure and strange physically I would like it to make good company to the PNSO that I am going to buy from Acro-man.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Faelrin on November 23, 2018, 01:51:59 AM
At this point I'd really like to see:

• Utahraptor (and/or Deinonychus and/or Dakotaraptor, since no one has made a model of that one yet, unless CollectA has one in store for 2019, if not another company. Zhenyuanlong is another that would be a solid choice, especially in regards to how the integument was preserved)
  • Borealopelta
  • Pentaceratops
  • Lambeosaurus (and/or Corythosaurus)
  • Dilophosaurus
  • an ichthyosaur (although Carnegie's still looks really good to my untrained eye)
  • Kentrosaurus
  • Protoceratops
  • Baryonyx
  • Cryolophosaurus
  • Ouranosaurus
  • Concavenator
  • Hatzegopteryx (in a standing pose like this year's Pteranodon, preferrably. Like I just really want one of these azhdarchids in that nightmarish stork giraffe pose, especially if they choose to make this ancient Transylvanian species)
  • a terror bird and a new Andrewsarchus (although with it being restored like an entelodont recently, it might not be necessary with the new Daeodon
  • Maybe Basilosaurus too
  • and anything from the Paleozoic (Tiktaalik, Moschops, Estemmenosuchus, Edaphosaurus, Diplocaulus, Anomalocaris, Tully Monster, etc).
Swap the Kentrosaurus for my childhood favourite Tuojiangosaurus, and add on Edmontosaurus and Chalicotherium, then I agree with this.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Please again re sculpt a T.rex with more accurate head design, more forward facing eyes, horns above the eyes and above the snout like the Saurian redesign of T.rex and most importantly lips that seems to completely hide the teeth in a closed mouth form or sparse amount of teeth are seen in open mouth form due to the presence of lips like the saurian redesign and with sparse amount of proto feathers not overtly feathered. Finally, of course with reasonable color scheme and not with overtly large feet and without attached base, the feature of 2017 feathered one I really admire, only Mr.Watson can do that. I am utterly wishing this figure from Safarians or more specifically from Mr. Doug Watson, after praising the 2017 sculpt of mostly fully feathered version of T.rex and I do believe Safarians only have the potential of taking and tackling this hardest challenge of creating scientifically accurate prehistoric beast, which is their prime concern, I know. Finally, do not add osteoderms in the body which T.rex did not bear at all, it had smooth pebbly skin covered in fine scales.

Please give that sculpt in 2020/2021/2022/2033/2044 or in any of the year as soon as possible. I can hold long patience for this re sculpt of this magnificent beast. After getting such an scientifically accurate sculpt, I shall never request for re sculpt of T.rex again. Please do it again for me and for us who have the desire to see the real T.rex not the JP one. I know T.rex has sculpted in model form in the highest numbers and has bored most of the tyrant fans, they are wishing other tyrants beside T.rex, which I also desire. But realistic version of T.rex in model form having all the above mentioned figures is really missing. So this re sculpt of the iconic creature will be of highest economic value in spite of having highest amount of replicas of it.

Faelrin

I kind of forgot about Edmontosaurus. I don't know if the one with the fancy crest thing is the one from Hell Creek, but in any case I would like to see that one too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Quote from: Faelrin on November 25, 2018, 11:35:04 PM
I kind of forgot about Edmontosaurus. I don't know if the one with the fancy crest thing is the one from Hell Creek, but in any case I would like to see that one too.
Nope, it is not. Edmontosaurus regalis or "the one with the fancy crest thing" comes from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation. The one from Hell Creek and my personal favorite is Edmontosaurus annectens.

Sim

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, do you know of the Bullyland Chalicotherium?  I wonder if it might be of interest to you.

Ravonium

Quote from: Sim on November 26, 2018, 04:28:15 PM
avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, do you know of the Bullyland Chalicotherium?  I wonder if it might be of interest to you.

If that's too rare for you, then there's also the CollectA Moropus, a closely related genus.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: MLMjp on November 26, 2018, 12:02:15 AM
Nope, it is not. Edmontosaurus regalis or "the one with the fancy crest thing" comes from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation. The one from Hell Creek and my personal favorite is Edmontosaurus annectens.
It is for this reason that I really want both species of Edmontosaurus into figures, though I know no company would ever release two species of the same extinct genus, the best that can be hoped for is that two companies will make Edmontosaurus, with one releasing E. annectens and the other releasing E. regalis.

I was not familiar with this, thank you avatar_Sim @Sim. I looked on the dinotoycollector and the figure does look nice, it's a pity that it'll be nigh impossible to find.
avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium I've seen the CollectA Moropus and have been meaning to get it as some point, but it just isn't quite Chalicotherium though, I love its knuckle-walking as much as its unusual proportions.

Also, I'm hoping that eventually Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus will be done fluffy, in the manner of Doug Watson's Coelophysis.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

tanystropheus

After releasing the excellent and iconic cryptid, the North American Sasquatch, WS should attempt to release others...how about the Bishop Fish?  :)

Joey

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 27, 2018, 01:47:43 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 26, 2018, 12:02:15 AM
It is for this reason that I really want both species of Edmontosaurus into figures, though I know no company would ever release two species of the same extinct genus, the best that can be hoped for is that two companies will make Edmontosaurus, with one releasing E. annectens and the other releasing E. regalis.

I was not familiar with this, thank you avatar_Sim @Sim. I looked on the dinotoycollector and the figure does look nice, it's a pity that it'll be nigh impossible to find.
avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium I've seen the CollectA Moropus and have been meaning to get it as some point, but it just isn't quite Chalicotherium though, I love its knuckle-walking as much as its unusual proportions.

Also, I'm hoping that eventually Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus will be done fluffy, in the manner of Doug Watson's Coelophysis.
DeJankins actually sells the Bullyland Chalicotherium for a good price of $18.00

Sauropelta

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 27, 2018, 03:16:19 AM
After releasing the excellent and iconic cryptid, the North American Sasquatch, WS should attempt to release others...how about the Bishop Fish?  :)

Chupacabra for me.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Halichoeres

Now that Safari has discontinued 4 of its 5 best Toobs, the Scutosaurus and Inostrancevia, and the short-lived bulk bags of prehistoric sharks, the only Paleozoic animals on offer are Dunkleosteus and Dimetrodon. I hope they expand that but it sort of feels like they're writing the Paleozoic off as unprofitable except for those two must-have taxa. Maybe they'll make a standalone Anomalocaris, which is maybe the thing I'm least interested in seeing from them, but would be a guaranteed seller.

At least they haven't written off the Triassic. Even if we only get one Triassic animal every other year, that's enough to pacify me if they're as good as the Coelophysis and Prestosuchus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: