News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Papo Pentaceratops released figure was a good as the prototype, rich colors, same painting (I think it's their best model of all times). But in the spinosaurus this isn't the same: there is a huge difference between the prototype and the released model, a huge, huge difference.
I'll be getting only one with the box because the model is good, but the not the masterpiece I was hoping for (as Pentaceratops was). And the box is quite disapointing (too huge and without clear plastic, why?)

Nevertheless, I'm very excited to have it in my hands.

Shonisaurus

The figure of the spinosaurus in his prototype photos were a true masterpiece. Papo should have expected to commercialize this figure and have made a spinosaurus with the same paint quality as his pentaceratops or gorgosaurus this year that ends, although it would have cost more money to market and although it would have taken more time to market, even if we had to had to wait until the middle of next year.

The colors of Papo spinosaurus are of a very toasted paint and dramatically differ from its great prototype although I still keep my promise to everythingdinosaur I had figured out a different spinosaurus although it is despite all a very good figure.

dragon53

I jut checked Happy hen and the Spinosaurus is still available.

If the paint is as bad as some claim, it will hurt Papo's credibility as the limited edition was really a lot of promotion with impressive prototype photos and a big price tag.

Faelrin

I just saw that Dejankins is expecting to carry the Papo Spinosaurus within another week or so (ETA Dec 7th). So that gives at least three different options in the US at least to get this figure.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

oscars_dinos

Does anyone think the paint scheme will differ in quality from happy hen or everything Dino?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: imnewhere on December 01, 2019, 06:43:18 AM
Does anyone think the paint scheme will differ in quality from happy hen or everything Dino?

No reason to think so.

Silvanusaurus

Oh boy, these pictures of the final product make it look much less appealing than I'd expected, I was still hovering around whether to try and get one whenever it was finally released, but it looks like the front legs/hands are even more awkward than they seemed before, its like the figure is mostly beautiful, majestic, and then whoops here are some goofy crocodilian-ape arms on the front. Also, the way the teeth are painted really highlights how obnoxiously silly they look.

terrorchicken

The prototype looks painted with brushes, the actual final product figure looks like its been spray painted.  :-\

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on November 30, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
Yeah the paint disappoints a little bit...It reminds me of how the Baryonyx turned out, I don't think is that bad, but for a limited edition I think they should have put more effort...Unless this is just a sample and the final product will be better...Who Knows...We would find out soon.

I´m still gonna get it though.

^ it's still an amazing piece but the gap between the Papo and the superior REBOR would have closed somewhat if Papo maintained the same paintjob as the prototype. The REBOR does have the more naturalistic pose and is missing the tail fluke. I remember being blown away by the Schleich but that's definitely not the case anymore  ;D

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 01, 2019, 09:48:06 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 30, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
Yeah the paint disappoints a little bit...It reminds me of how the Baryonyx turned out, I don't think is that bad, but for a limited edition I think they should have put more effort...Unless this is just a sample and the final product will be better...Who Knows...We would find out soon.

I´m still gonna get it though.

^ it's still an amazing piece but the gap between the Papo and the superior REBOR would have closed somewhat if Papo maintained the same paintjob as the prototype. The REBOR does have the more naturalistic pose and is missing the tail fluke. I remember being blown away by the Schleich but that's definitely not the case anymore  ;D

Without a doubt, Rebor's spinosaurus is superior to its Papo counterpart. Papo's spinosaurus would have been a magnificent figure comparable to that already mentioned if the prototype painting had been preserved to the letter, even if the cost of the figure were higher and even if we had had to wait much longer to get that figure.

Papo spinosaurus is a good figure and I am going to buy two figures (one I have already bought in urzeitshop) and another without a box I am going to order everythingdinosaur, and in fact the photograph of Papo spinosaurus I put it as a profile picture because I had been fascinated by the initial figure but his painting differs greatly from the original. That said they should have waited longer to market the figure and being a limited figure if it had cost more money to me in my case I would not have cared.

I don't understand Papo's spinosaurus 2019, its pentaceratops and gorgosaurus and repainted stegosaurus from Papo 2019 are masterfully the same as their prototypes. Why couldn't they have done the same with their spinosaurus and the same thing I can say with the allosaurus and brown tyrannosaurus running repainted 2019?

Flaffy

Would be funny if Rebor's superior GnG spino ends up being cheaper than Papo's banana toothed, fish tailed, sloppily painted (judging from existing images only) one.

Rebor has stated multiple times that they're trying to keep the GnG line as affordable as possible. Hell, even their JP rex and JP stego from their standard, more pricey line are within $60. Might as well wait for Rebor's GnG Spinosaurus imo. You're getting better paint (assuming Rebor keeps up their level of consistency), better anatomy, and better accuracy (wow, from a Rebor product? that's a first).

The only selling point of the Papo one is that it's "Limited Edition", which creates a sense of urgency for the buyer.

Syndicate Bias

Pretty sure GnG line is supposed to be around £20 or so.

REBOR's Spino and Rex will most likely be cheaper than Papo's Spino based on what Rebor has stated about the line in the past.

MLMjp

Yeah, got to admit that the Rebor Spino looks better. However as a scale is a must in my collection, judging by comparing photos that showcase the Grab and go T.rex alongside other Rebor figures and then the photo that compares both, I can be sure that their Spinosaurus will be way too large for my collection, so I think I will stick to the Papo, which we already saw how it matches up with the Papo Tyrannosaurus.

Syndicate Bias

I'll try and take other comparison shots I had to do this in a hurry.

MLMjp

A bit better than previous photos, but:
-Just like I said, very similar to the Baryonyx in terms of paint application, with a somewhat "wet" look.
-Definitely less shading in the paint compared to the prototype, a shame...
-Those teeth...they look a bit sloppy and some of them don't have paint on the root/base, hopefully it just the case of this one.

If this was a regular figure, it will be acceptable. But considering Papo is selling this as a "Limited Edition" it should look just like the prototype!
Still, gonna get him cause despite not looking as good as it should, it still looks good and in terms of size is perfect. My Collecta Spinosaurus will soon be replaced by this one.

Shonisaurus

Papo spinosaurus limited edition is a figure that is still very interesting despite everything I would have liked to have the colors of the prototype since the paint is changed is as if they had roasted the prototype or put in the oven and the colors when leaving the toaster or the oven they changed drastically. Anyway, the figure of Papo's spinosaurus 2019 is a great figure. I hope to receive my two urzeitshop replicas (payment already made) and be able to order that beauty from Mike (everythingdinosaur). Time to time. It is a very detailed figure are very well sculpted teeth, it gives a very fierce look the look of this spinosaurus.

My impression of the figure may change even more favorably when I have it in my hands and see it physically, but it looks as large as Papo's acrocanthosaurus, I thought it was larger. Can it be an optical illusion? It looks as big as its acrocanthosaurus and I think it is because of the measures and the comments provided by the providers much larger.

Syndicate Bias

optical illusion because I can tell you right now it dwarfs the Acro but it's hard to take at an angle where it compliments its size.

I'll try and take a picture from farther away and see if it helps.

I might do some touch ups on it idk yet but I'm thinking about fixing the teeth since that's an easy fix and possibly a brown wash to highlight its details better. I think there might be a way to make the orange and black on the sail similar to the prototype by adding some highlight and later sprayed with matte varnish.

Faelrin

S @Syndicate Bias Thank you for posting the comparison picture with the Acrocanthosaurus. I think they display nicely together. I think despite it's anatomical issues, and paint app issues, I still would like to get this one after all (in addition to one of the Rebor versions). Do you happen to have the Papo Allosaurus too? Would you be able to get an image of it with that figure? Any idea on the scale of this Spinosaurus too?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Faelrin on December 02, 2019, 06:03:46 PM
S @Syndicate Bias Thank you for posting the comparison picture with the Acrocanthosaurus. I think they display nicely together. I think despite it's anatomical issues, and paint app issues, I still would like to get this one after all (in addition to one of the Rebor versions). Do you happen to have the Papo Allosaurus too? Would you be able to get an image of it with that figure? Any idea on the scale of this Spinosaurus too?

I'd have to take some measurements but it's almost as big as the PNSO Spino if that gives you a good idea of just how massive this figure is.

I do have the Allo I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin  ^-^

Andreioli

Some more Spino pics found on the Papo Facebook page, in the comments to a recent post regarding the Limited Edition Spino:

https://www.facebook.com/FigurinesPapo/?ref=py_c

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: