News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 24, 2020, 08:14:58 PM
Came across the Spinosaurus at Mastermind Toys yesterday. Price tag of $59.99 Canadian. Needless to say, I passed, but fellow Canadians looking for one should keep their eyes peeled!

Thanx for the heads up avatar_suspsy @suspsy. I had contacted them back in November about whether they'd be getting it in stock but the lady just mentioned they had the old version of Papo Spinosaurus in stock. She didn't have any clue about future models coming in. It wasn't on the website at the time so I purchase it from ED. Now it seems it's in the website and I'm pretty sure anything over $50 is free shipping to Canada. Probably the cheapest option for those in Canada.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Sim on January 24, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 15, 2018, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 15, 2018, 06:02:03 PM
[...]
Regarding marine reptiles, I think there's quite a bit of choice for mosasaurs and pliosaurs, but not enough for other types of marine reptiles.  Long-necked plesiosaurs are some of my favourite prehistoric animals, but I currently don't have any figures of them due to a tendency for them to be represented with exaggerated skin detail, in my opinion.  I doubt Papo is the company that will make good marine reptile figures, at least of the more streamlined animals, as they tend to focus on detail too much at times.

Additionally, as avatar_Takama @Takama mentioned, Papo has made a Plesiosaurus.  If they were to make new marine reptiles, I would guess next they would do a pliosaur, or a Jurassic World-inspired Mosasaurus even though Papo has already made a Tylosaurus too.

Personally, I feel that currently Eofauna is the company most likely to be able to make a long-necked plesiosaur that I'll want to have.  I would love to see them make a Thalassomedon!
[...]
I share the same thoughts on marine  reptiles, i haven't found a single good plesiosaur or mosasaur or really any marine animal that id want on my shelf. Really hoping eofauna makes something like that. Im gonna have to see if theres even any resin kits now lol

Apologies for going off-topic here, but I just remembered this post and I'd like to reply to it.  S @Syndicate Bias, you mentioned you hadn't found any marine reptile you'd want on your shelf.  Do you have any now?  I thought I'd list ones I think have high accuracy and are appropriately streamlined in case you haven't considered them.  I'm not sure if you're interested in mini figures so I haven't listed any.

Ichthyosauria: Wild Safari Ichthyosaurus, PNSO Eurhinosaurus, CollectA Excalibosaurus, Carnegie Ichthyosaurus, Walking with Dinosaurs Ophthalmosaurus, Invicta Ichthyosaurus
Metriorhynchoidea: PNSO Dakosaurus, Wild Safari Plesiosuchus
Mosasauroidea: PNSO Mosasaurus, Favorite soft model Mosasaurus, Favorite large vinyl Mosasaurus, Wild Safari Tylosaurus
Plesiosauroidea: Invicta "plesiosaur"
Pliosauroidea: Wild Safari Kronosaurus, Invicta Liopleurodon
Testudines: Favorite Archelon

Looking at the list above, a new, streamlined plesiosauroid figure is very much needed.  This thread is about Papo figures which has made me think that perhaps there is one marine reptile Papo could do well... Nothosaurus!

I haven't seen the invicta mosasaur and plesiosaur I'll have to google them and see. The WS Kronosaurus is actually something I want but forgot about it, reminds me of WWD and I think a mini of it in a toob, I think...if my memory serves me right.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to order that kronosaurus now.

tanystropheus

The Spino is not as limited as Papo led us to believe but it is worth every penny! :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think 50.00 would have been a good price, a bit more than the Brachiosaurus and it would have helped with shipping, especially for those that bought it with that ridiculous over sized box.

Duna

I finally received my Papo spinosaurus and all I have to say is that you have to have it in your own hands to admire it's beauty. I was a bit disapointed as it was not like the prototype, but I'm more than happy now. It's one of the figures that you cannot judge by photos or video reviews. It's HUGE, nicely sculpted, painting fits very well. The sail is the best of all actual figures available. And the tail works. Yes, teeth are too "Papo style" but I don't mind in this case.

Killekor

Quote from: Duna on February 03, 2020, 05:42:11 PM
I finally received my Papo spinosaurus and all I have to say is that you have to have it in your own hands to admire it's beauty. I was a bit disapointed as it was not like the prototype, but I'm more than happy now. It's one of the figures that you cannot judge by photos or video reviews. It's HUGE, nicely sculpted, painting fits very well. The sail is the best of all actual figures available. And the tail works. Yes, teeth are too "Papo style" but I don't mind in this case.

Congratulations for finally receiving the Papo Spinosaurus, avatar_Duna @Duna ! I'm happy that you've finally received it!
It's really a wonderful figure.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

SidB

Quote from: Reptilia on March 23, 2019, 11:34:30 AM
Allosaurus repaint on sale at Urzeitshop, pictures by avatar_Mironimus @Mironimus:

https://www.urzeitshop.de/de/papo/3306-allosaurus-dinosaurier-spielzeug-von-papo-2019-3465000550783.html

This one at least looks beautifully painted. The new paint job makes the seam on the head almost invisible.

For those of us who are/were concerned that Papo didn't use the opportunity of this repaint to reposition the hands of their Allosaurus from pronation to supination, this is an example, using my older green version, of what can be done. I used an exacto knife, two steel rods and crazy glue. I'm pleased, there are no seams visible to the naked eye. It will work equally well on the new version.
BTW, this is a test on my part, the first time to post an image on the site (hoping that it works).

Lu_Yuping

Any apologies for eel tail Spinosaurus now? No?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on April 30, 2020, 06:49:47 PM
No. It's still not accurate and never was.

Is it a cool looking design? Personal opinion but, sure? Doesn't make it accurate.

Shonisaurus

For my part I always defended Papo's spinosaurus. I commented almost six months ago that no one had a camera or video to see what spinosaurus really was like and for me it has been one of the best dinosaur figures this past year. I have remained in my approaches, what I criticized was the following, the real painting with respect to the prototype that seemed more polished. However, upon receiving it, I realized that it was more outstanding to see the Papo spinosaurus limited version in person than in the promotional photos that distorted the figure. I made an exhaustive description of the dinosaur in my thread, in writing (since I don't have a camera) and I will never regret defending it. What I didn't know was getting as close to scientific standards as has now been shown.

My congratulations to Papo and I hope that over the years (I will not be alive anyway) Papo makes a scientific and 100 percent improved version of the giganotosaurus and other prehistoric animals that have been tarnished in his catalog such as archeopteryx, amargasaurus, tylosaurus and plesiosaurus. I fully trust this brand and that many times I am quite critical of it such as its giganotosaurus that is light years away from this beautiful and scientific spinosaurus.

That does not mean that it is exact and with the arrival of new discoveries of skeletal pieces of that incredible semi-aquatic dinosaur for me it is the "hippopotamus dinosaur" revealing new forms of its appearance.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 30, 2020, 07:56:07 PM

Is it a cool looking design? Personal opinion but, sure? Doesn't make it accurate.

Have you not seen the news? Seems like Papo might have had insider information.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on April 30, 2020, 09:43:17 PM

They very clearly did not, or if they did they practically ignored it. Even ignoring the other anatomical issues, the Papo Spinosaurus tail is clearly based on fish fin rays and not on the structures of bone the animals actual tail is made from.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 30, 2020, 10:39:30 PM

They very clearly did not, or if they did they practically ignored it. Even ignoring the other anatomical issues, the Papo Spinosaurus tail is clearly based on fish fin rays and not on the structures of bone the animals actual tail is made from.

We are free to disagree but the Papo is the most accurate Spino representation to date. Credit where credit is due.
I've reviewed all your arguments regarding it and I simply don't buy it. Sorry.

P.S: It looks exactly like the illustration presented by Marco Auditor as can be seen by the link (too bad I don't know how to post images)

https://www.cnet.com/news/spinosaurus-fossil-discovery-rewrites-history-of-swimming-dinosaurs/

Not sure if they had insider information but the Papo is leagues beyond competitors for simply including the fluke. Anyone that owns the Papo model and has seen it from multiple angles knows  :)

Loon

If the Papo sculptor had insider information, they sure didn't use it. The tail fin on the Papo figure is clearly not supposed to represent bone, it's based off an eel after all. Also, the tail's not even the right shape, it tapers far too much. It's superficially similar sure, but you'd really have to stretch to say Papo got it right, sorry.

I'm sure CollectA will release one soon, and it'll be amazing. One could only pray it won't cost $60.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 30, 2020, 08:20:05 PM

For my part I always defended Papo's spinosaurus. I commented almost six months ago that no one had a camera or video to see what spinosaurus really was like and for me it has been one of the best dinosaur figures this past year. I have remained in my approaches, what I criticized was the following, the real painting with respect to the prototype that seemed more polished. However, upon receiving it, I realized that it was more outstanding to see the Papo spinosaurus limited version in person than in the promotional photos that distorted the figure. I made an exhaustive description of the dinosaur in my thread, in writing (since I don't have a camera) and I will never regret defending it. What I didn't know was getting as close to scientific standards as has now been shown.

My congratulations to Papo and I hope that over the years (I will not be alive anyway) Papo makes a scientific and 100 percent improved version of the giganotosaurus and other prehistoric animals that have been tarnished in his catalog such as archeopteryx, amargasaurus, tylosaurus and plesiosaurus. I fully trust this brand and that many times I am quite critical of it such as its giganotosaurus that is light years away from this beautiful and scientific spinosaurus.

That does not mean that it is exact and with the arrival of new discoveries of skeletal pieces of that incredible semi-aquatic dinosaur for me it is the "hippopotamus dinosaur" revealing new forms of its appearance.

Definitely exciting times to see yet another Papo piece that will be deemed "accurate" for the world to witness. It's still pretty early and not everyone is informed about the latest news but it will eventually sink in.

"This was basically a dinosaur trying to build a fish tail,"
says National Geographic Emerging Explorer Nizar Ibrahim, the lead researcher examining the fossil.

"Described today in the journal Nature, this tail is the most extreme aquatic adaptation ever seen in a large dinosaur. Its discovery in Morocco stretches our understanding of how one of Earth's most dominant groups of land animals lived and thrived."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/first-spinosaurus-tail-found-confirms-dinosaur-was-swimming/#close

Quote from: Loon on April 30, 2020, 11:35:01 PM

I'm sure CollectA will release one soon, and it'll be amazing. One could only pray it won't cost $60.

The CollectA better be amazing after the 5 or 6 other reconstructions they've dabbled in. I suppose its still not too later for the REBOR model to include - this "fish tail" or "the most extreme aquatic adaptation ever seen in a large dinosaur" as quoted by National Geographic.

Patrx

Hey folks, I know there are lots of us who are passionate about Papo stuff one way or the other, but do try to keep things civil. Additionally, and this is a little less critical, instead of making multiple posts in a row, you can edit the existing ones to keep things tidier. Thanks!

Loon

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 30, 2020, 11:42:43 PM
Definitely exciting times to see yet another Papo piece that will be deemed "accurate" for the world to witness.

What was the other one?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 12:42:41 AM
Definitely exciting times to see yet another Papo piece that will be deemed "accurate" for the world to witness.

What was the other one?

Haha, nice. You proved my point  ^-^

Loon

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 01, 2020, 12:53:05 AM

Jokes on me, I guess, for expecting an intelligent or useful response.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 12:59:42 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 01, 2020, 12:53:05 AM
Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 12:42:41 AM

What was the other one?

Alright, don't answer. I was expecting anything useful from you, anyhow.

You're goading. I was in danger of being banned the last time you tried this and then at least one or two other members ganged up on me.

Here's a summary of my stance, in the most polite, civil way possible:

You, stargate and possibly, susp are members of an elite and distinctive school of thought which believes that Papo has produced ZERO accurate models since their inception.  It's not an idea that is particularly popular on the boards.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: