News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on December 08, 2019, 03:46:51 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 07, 2019, 07:58:12 PM
Quote from: Loon on December 07, 2019, 07:33:37 PM
Quote from: SidB on December 07, 2019, 07:29:48 PM
That's quite a good size and a very decent price for the Rebor. I wonder where the economy is coming from?
We'll probably never know. Aside from potential quality cuts, the other, human implications of producing something that cheap are a little concerning (lowered wages, etc.). Hopefully, the reasons for the reduced price are not as "scummy" as I'm worried they might be.

My guess is they are trying the PNSO route and it will be mostly hollow, reducing material.  It may also be more of a vinyl/rubbery vs resin.

Edit :  Just found a post by ED regarding the Grab and Go Komodo basically saying that what I thought above is exactly how they reduced cost :  https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2019/09/16/rebor-grabngo-komodo-dragon-model.html
Well, that makes a lot of sense. Certainly more positive than the darker possibilities, for sure. I'm okay with hollow, since it's likely to be re-enforced, like the Komodo dragon. Another positive is that shipping costs will probably be reduced.

if made like PNSO I'm fine with that, there maybe a tiny seam but nothing too bad looking at the video reviews of the Komodo Dragon. One review did mention it was very lightweight with high detail too.

PhilSauria

This poor Spinosaurus has come in for a bashing of late (and I know that I have been critical of some of Papo's figures myself in the past - still do not like that Baryonyx) and also Papo is not the only company gulity of presenting promo images in advance of the general release of an actual product that fails to live up to said images, to a greater or lesser degree; and (literally) for my money I still really like this one and am still really looking forward to getting hold of one.

Even if we have longer to wait for that experience here in Australia than seems to be the case in other parts of the world, judging by the number of review videos from various points on the globe that I have seen this last week.

dragon53

Shonisaurus

The reconstructions of the spinosaurus are all speculative considering that not many remains of that rare dinosaur have been found, so Papo's spinosaurus is a speculation like the rest of the paleoartistic representations of spinosaurus toy of the rest of the toy brands e even of prehistoric animals destined for the adult public (resin).

Killekor

Thanks for the photos J @japfeif ! They show better the details of the sculpt than all the other photos I've seen of it until now, and also the paint application looks more similar to the prototype's one.
At the end I've decided to get one and preordered it from Alcaiceria. I can't wait to receive it!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

hao_bao

Quote from: Loon on December 06, 2019, 10:25:08 PM
Final word on the matter: your dinosaurs can be whatever you want them to be. Who cares. Let's keep the thread about the Papo figures before this gets toxic.

Anyway, I got my Spinosaurus from Happy Hen yesterday and geez is the shipping box big. I haven't opened the package yet, but if the figures a little smaller than the box, it's still pretty big.

Why would things turn toxic? I was just questioning androcentrism.

hao_bao

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 06, 2019, 10:09:50 PM
Quote from: hao_bao on December 06, 2019, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on December 02, 2019, 05:01:19 PM
A bit better than previous photos, but:
-Just like I said, very similar to the Baryonyx in terms of paint application, with a somewhat "wet" look.
-Definitely less shading in the paint compared to the prototype, a shame...
-Those teeth...they look a bit sloppy and some of them don't have paint on the root/base, hopefully it just the case of this one.

If this was a regular figure, it will be acceptable. But considering Papo is selling this as a "Limited Edition" it should look just like the prototype!
Still, gonna get him cause despite not looking as good as it should, it still looks good and in terms of size is perfect. My Collecta Spinosaurus will soon be replaced by this one.

How do you know it's a him?

How do you know it's not a him?

I don't, but how do we know it's male?

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: hao_bao on December 09, 2019, 08:31:13 AM

If this was a regular figure, it will be acceptable. But considering Papo is selling this as a "Limited Edition" it should look just like the prototype!
Still, gonna get him cause despite not looking as good as it should, it still looks good and in terms of size is perfect. My Collecta Spinosaurus will soon be replaced by this one.

Its a pointless question because it is whatever any one particular person wants it to be, just because one person calls it 'him' that doesn't mean they are making a statement about how everyone else must perceive or describe it, you can call it whatever you want. I think its an extremely rare hermaphrodite.

MLMjp

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 09, 2019, 11:24:57 AM

Its a pointless question because it is whatever any one particular person wants it to be, just because one person calls it 'him' that doesn't mean they are making a statement about how everyone else must perceive or describe it, you can call it whatever you want. I think its an extremely rare hermaphrodite.
You guys seriously did all of this just because I mistakenly called the Spinosaurus "him" instead of "it"?

Concavenator

Quote from: MLMjp on December 09, 2019, 12:20:36 PM

You guys seriously did all of this just because I mistakenly called the Spinosaurus "him" instead of "it"?
Well, according to the film based on Stephen King's novel, "It" is a clown, so "It" is a man.  :P

Just kidding  ;D It's incredible that a discussion like this took place because you called a dinosaur "him". In a lot of reviews on the DTB, like the one on the PNSO Ankylosaurus, the author referred it as a female: " All in all, Sede is about as well researched and accurate as you could want her to be.".Nobody said anything back then or in other circumstances when someone calls a dinosaur "her". So why would anyone say anything when other calls a dinosaur "him". Weren't dinosaurs also male and female? It's stupid to argue anything about calling a dinosaur him or her. You can call a dinosaur: it, him, or her, and any of these is perfectly fine. Of course,in most cases you don't actually know if a dinosaur model is meant to represent a male or a female, so if you call the dinosaur him or her, you actually don't know if you're right. But at the end of the day, who cares? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also, I'm failing to see how calling a dinosaur him or her has anything to do about Papo's releases for 2019, which I think is what this topic is about  ???

hao_bao

Did dinosaurs display sexual dimorphism?

Duna

Quote from: hao_bao on December 09, 2019, 01:37:41 PM
Did dinosaurs display sexual dimorphism?
Surely some of them did, as actual reptiles do. Some do and some don't. I'll talk about all the pet reptiles I've had: some have no sexual dimorphism, as some day and nocturnal geckos. But others do: in some is just the color, as collared lizards and dwarf day geckos for example; in some is just size (most snakes), and some have a slightly difference in body structure, as tortoises, turtles, bearded dragons ... and combinations of some of them: structure and color or size, for example veiled chameleons.
For many modern reptiles sexual display or intimidation is very important. Most of them use size and colors. But that does not leave any hint on their skeletons. You could suppose a smaller skeleton could be a smaller individual but it could be a male, or a female. And you should have a lot of skeletons to compare. Same about dinosaurs.

Loon

Back on topic. I thought I told you guess to not continue this discussion cuz it just got ludicrous.

Anyway, I got my Papo gorgosaurus and ummm...I don't really care for it. Am I the only person who really doesn't like Papo's theropods?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 09, 2019, 04:44:09 PM
Back on topic. I thought I told you guess to not continue this discussion cuz it just got ludicrous.

Anyway, I got my Papo gorgosaurus and ummm...I don't really care for it. Am I the only person who really doesn't like Papo's theropods?

They are hit and miss. I like pretty much like all of them a bit though.

Syndicate Bias

better image of size comparison

Kapitaenosavrvs

Finally I was able to unbox my Spinosaurus today. To be honest: I Love the Figure. Yes, Its not as the Promopicture, but i feels like these Pictures had a few Filters on it and the Contrast of the Pictures was above normal.

In Person it is a really detailed and beautiful Figure, that dwarfes my other Dinosaurs. Yes, There are visible Parts where it was put together. But normally it stands on a Shelf and you really need to look close. Dont get me wrong. It really is a great Dinosaur and i like it a lot. It was worth the Wait.

Moreover living in Germany, it cost me 39,99 Euros. I'm completely fine with it. Its slightly above Papos normal higher Prices, but you get a bigger, more detailed and nicer Sculpt. In my Opinion, its worth it. I like the Design, also the Eel Tail.

The Paintjob is far from bad or something like that. Does not feel like a "Toy".

Everyone loves the Rebor Spinosaurus now and of course: Its big, its well made and its not as Pricey. But still i find it a bit... boring? And yes, i prefer the more accurate Sculpts. But theres no "life" in the Rebor Sculpt. But we'll see, because i will order one as well of course.

The Papo Spino is my Favorite Spino from all the "new" Designs. It has flaws, it is not 100% accurate, but wich Dinosaur Model or Toy is? We don't know. Papos Spino just looks alive and is a fantastic looking and feeling Dinosaur.

And maybe this is an unpopular Opinion: I just cant look at the PNSO Spino. The Headsculpt and the Claws with its deformed "thumb" cant be unseen. All together it is high Quality, but i cant bear the looks of it.

I dont post Pics here, because everyone knows, how the Spino looks.

Just my two Cents on this beautiful Model.

Edit: Oh, Syndicate Bias helped with a Picture, while i was typing.

Dino Scream3232

Very well put avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs. If this model wasn't a "Limited Edition" I probably wouldn't that many nitpicks with it. The sculpt and detail are beautiful. It's amazing all the little details you can pick out when examining it closely. I wish the paint was done a little better. Oh and that awful seam at the base of the tail. Just a tiny bit more care would've really set it apart from the rest of the line. Good thing is EVERY major company has or will have a quadruple spinosaurus. So there should be one for everyone.

I'm just curious of what their next limited edition will be. Everyone seems to want a Giganotosaurus, but I would prefer Carcharodontosaurus. That would be a great compliment to the Spinosaurus.

Anyways here's my review on this bad boy. Compared it to a ton of other models from various companies if anyone is interested. https://youtu.be/mqqK2f2ewZU

Jorge Mario

Papo spinosaurus limited edition is now available in stores in Guatemala, I already have mine. it's very cool.

Loon

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on December 10, 2019, 06:41:13 PM
And maybe this is an unpopular Opinion: I just cant look at the PNSO Spino. The Headsculpt and the Claws with its deformed "thumb" cant be unseen. All together it is high Quality, but i cant bear the looks of it.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I find that whole figure too be wrong in some way; it's way too thin, the weird Jurassic World "thumbs" and that neck...

I honestly would only want it for the base, since that's the only Onchopristis model I know of.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely I will receive everything from Papo spinosaurus and Papo's atlasaurus and deinotherium from everythingdinosaur and urzeitshop I am very happy with this figure judging by the videos shown and I feel like a complete miserable one having been so critical and unfair with this outstanding figure that for more crime on my part (metaphorically speaking) I have it as a profile picture. I agree with the encouraging opinions of Kapitaenosavrvs, Dino Scream among other forum members.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: