News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

I've been told that there were six new models to come, and here we have five with code 55077 still vacant. Assuming the Gorgosaurus is a medium size figure, I guess like the Ceratosaurus, one can hope for either a Giganotosaurus or a Carcharodontosaurus.

Anyways, those anticipations from last week turned out to be wrong, unless there's more, like an entire other catalogue page of novelties. But I wouldn't miss any of the rumored ones, frankly.

Will wait a few days more for an in depth comment, 55064 is vacant too for instance, but that Pentaceratops guys...

PhilSauria

On seeing clearer images I don't feel like paying Papo prices for repaints, the pose is a deal breaker on the Pentaceratops but I am interested in the Gorgosaurus. Look forward to more images on that one but at this point it has my attention.

With so much competition for our collector dollars from the likes of Eofauna, Safari and Collecta, to name but three, I think Papo could have tried harder. Could be a financial consideration in effect here within the company, who knows; just conjecturing.

DragonRider02

I wonder if placing Pentaceratops on all fours would pass as charging pose or something... 🤔

Atokensis

Quote from: DragonRider02 on December 04, 2018, 11:57:15 PM
I wonder if placing Pentaceratops on all fours would pass as charging pose or something... 🤔

I really hope that is the case for the Pentaceratops. I have a feeling it's going to be able to do that!

Syndicate Bias

Reptilia

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 05, 2018, 12:09:12 AM
Damn beat me to it lmao

You can copy my linked image to update the first post here, until better resolution comes.

Atokensis

So 2 new sculpts and 3 new recolors. Hopefully we'll get some more soon, new sculpts obviously.

Reptilia

The past couple of years have been quite heavy for Papo standards regarding new sculpts, seven and six respectively, so it's not unlikely that two is all we're getting for 2019. But as I said I'm the first to hope for one more to be unveiled.

Atokensis

Yeah I was thinking the same thing because last year we got 5 new sculpts being Armagasaurus, Compsognathus, Iguanodon, Quetzalcoatlus, and Therizinosaurus. And 1 recolor being the Acrocanthosaurus.

Also, I read that we are missing 1 catalog number (#55074) but hopefully there's at least 2 more.

suspsy

Well, that brown T. rex gets my vote for Most Unnecessary Prehistoric Toy of 2019. Looks like it's slightly different from the original brown one. I will note that I'm happy for everyone who's ever wanted a brown one.  :)

The Allosaurus and Stegosaurus repaints look nice enough. Hopefully the Triceratops will finally get a repaint in 2020.

Any Gorgosaurus is most welcome in my book! That said, I don't know if I'll be getting this one, as I haven't bought any Papo in quite a while now. Too expensive. :(

And while Pentaceratops is also welcome, this one looks like it's experiencing a difficult bowel movement.  :-\
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 04, 2018, 10:16:45 PM
Good for my purse. So far no Papos for me in 2019 (except for the Kingfisher).
I can't believe they even gave a ceratopsian a tripod pose :P ;D .

Aside from the peculiar tripod pose, I am surprised that the Pentaceratops doesn't at least interest you mildly.

Atokensis

Perhaps the Pentaceratops will be able to go on all fours (into a ramming pose)? That would be really interesting!

What do you guys think?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 02, 2018, 12:38:09 AM
I came to the conclusion they are too mainstream so i just bought a resin kit from shane to make up for it

Not exactly mainstream if they are releasing a Gorgosaurus. To be fair, they probably confused your request for a Giga with a Gorgo. I mean they both start with a 'G'  ;)  It's understandable.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 12:56:20 AM
Perhaps the Pentaceratops will be able to go on all fours (into a ramming pose)? That would be really interesting!

What do you guys think?

Actually, that's a good point. We have to wait for more camera angles on that one.

tanystropheus

Is this the same Running Brown T-rex?! The colors look a bit richer, enhanced.

I was really hoping that the Allosaurus was a re-sculpt (they could have at least fixed the arms). But, the colors are a definite improvement.

Reptilia

Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 12:49:48 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing because last year we got 5 new sculpts being Armagasaurus, Compsognathus, Iguanodon, Quetzalcoatlus, and Therizinosaurus. And 1 recolor being the Acrocanthosaurus.

Also, I read that we are missing 1 catalog number (#55074) but hopefully there's at least 2 more.

You forget about the young Spinosaurus, which is the sixth new sculpt released this year. And we have two slots in the catalogue, 55064 and 55077. I hope at least one gets filled in.

I don't see why people think the brown running rex is different than the limited release. Bear in mind that this is a promo picture, colours might as well look more vivid than on the actual product. In fact I think this shot is of the original one sculpted by Mr Seo in 2011.

Faelrin

I noticed that the Pentaceratops back limb's toes are kind of pointed up. Perhaps it is supposed to be displayed on all fours in a charging pose after all? The Gorgosaurus is an interesting choice, and the sculpt kind of reminds me of the one from the WWD movie from a few years back (only not the coloration), although the pose with the tail is odd. The Stegosaurus and Allosaurus repaints are absolutely lovely. I mean I did like the original color schemes for both of those, but these are still great, especially since at least in the case of the original Allosaurus, the paint application has gotten worse on more recent figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

Thanks Reptilia. Now, my thoughts so far are...well I dont know what to say. The gorgo looks good detail wise but the pose is cheap and the Penta had potential but again with the stupid poses papo keeps adding that make their models really hard to accept at first.

I can't say I want a Giganotosaurus from them either, seeing how their mini looked, I can only imagine how bad the pose is.

Their Stego is ok and their allo too i just wish the allo didnt have pronated arms, missed chance for resculpt there.

Brown running rex is ok, just another boring repaint.

In conclusion this 2019 year looks boring. Whatever the other 1 or 2 models they have left to show are honestly the only other thing or things I am looking forward to.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 05, 2018, 12:58:51 AM
I came to the conclusion they are too mainstream so i just bought a resin kit from shane to make up for it

Not exactly mainstream if they are releasing a Gorgosaurus. To be fair, they probably confused your request for a Giga with a Gorgo. I mean they both start with a 'G'  ;)  It's understandable.

God i hate you so much haha. Well maybe in 2030 then  ;D

Joey

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 05, 2018, 01:37:02 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 05, 2018, 12:58:51 AM

God i hate you so much haha. Well maybe in 2030 then  ;D
Your'e ready to wait 11 years!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: