News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, November 27, 2018, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A new standard size Scelidosaurus would be welcome. So would a new pterosaur box. Now that Safari seems to have sworn off prehistoric Toobs (it's been 7 years now), CollectA seems like the best bet for good diorama miniatures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Okay, so before the new figures are revealed, here are my last-minute guesses...  >:D

Dinosaurs:

Allosaurus
Megalosaurus and/or Eustreptospondylus
Yutyrannus
Edmontosaurus
Qianzhousaurus
Patagotitan/ Dreadnoughtus
Brachiosaurus or Giraffatitan

And at least one ceratopsian

Prehistoric mammals:

Platybelodon

Pterosaurs:

My prediction is there won't be any.

Before the dinosaurs:

Gorgonops/ Inostrancevia
Scutosaurus

Marine reptiles:

Shonisaurus
Tylosaurus

Now, let's wait and see if any of these ends up being real!

Shonisaurus

I need a shonisaurus to change my profile picture by the Collecta brand.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

My hope and dream now is that they're saving the best for last.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2019, 03:06:48 PM
My hope and dream now is that they're saving the best for last.

Well, they did save the Elasmotherium till the very end last year.

Ravonium

My only hope is for at least one wildlife/sealife figure next week; this week we got nothing, not even a remake  >:(

GojiraGuy1954

Alioramus
Cryolophosaurus
Pentaceratops
Tyrannosaurus V4
Struthiomimus
Orcomimus
Therizinosaurus
Nothronychus
Yi
Spinosaurus V3
Diplodocus
Camarasaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

Although I see almost completely unlikely any of the four options that are revealed this year I would like to 2020 by Deluxe size:
Chasmosaurus
Paraceratherium
Shonisaurus
Majungasaurus
But the Collecta like the rest of the prehistoric toy animal brands is unpredictable.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ravonium on November 01, 2019, 10:41:40 PM
My only hope is for at least one wildlife/sealife figure next week; this week we got nothing, not even a remake  >:(

I think of the horse figures as sealife, in that I would like to see them all pitched into the sea.

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 06, 2019, 01:19:46 PM

I think of the horse figures as sealife, in that I would like to see them all pitched into the sea.

Boy, you're gonna have a lot of outraged little girls lining up to kick you in the shins.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on November 06, 2019, 03:04:24 PM
Boy, you're gonna have a lot of outraged little girls lining up to kick you in the shins.
I will never understand the idea that companies wanting to appeal to (young) girls need to make horses or farm life. Even if we work on the assumption these stereotypes are real and not an artificial self fulfilling prophecy fueled by only marketing products to groups that are already believed to like them; are these company directors from some alien planet where butterflies, moths, tropical fish and birds don't exist?

Horses are big, intimidating, and frankly kind of smelly, I can't really picture most girls choosing them over a swallow for example. I sure didn't.

Frankly CollectA has enough horses in their roster, it would be nice if they at least scaled back to 1-2 figures a year. Maybe diversify into other domestic animals instead, do a sub-line of lovebird breeds or something.

Shonisaurus

They could make a quagga or a moa in the wild to give two examples or even a dodo.

On the other hand, could the year 2020 for Collecta be the year of the megatherium or another lazy of the similar family? On the other hand, what if it were a glytodon or a doedicurus? I still dream that there may be a giant armadillo or a prehistoric sloth among the prehistoric mammal figures of 2020.

Among the Paleozoic figures they may make a moschops, ortoncono or mastodonsaurus this last emblematic prehistoric amphibian necessary after the disappearance of the figure of the Bullyland brand and even surpass that fantastic figure one of the best of the missing brand.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2019, 03:33:50 PM
I will never understand the idea that companies wanting to appeal to (young) girls need to make horses or farm life. Even if we work on the assumption these stereotypes are real and not an artificial self fulfilling prophecy fueled by only marketing products to groups that are already believed to like them; are these company directors from some alien planet where butterflies, moths, tropical fish and birds don't exist?

Horses are big, intimidating, and frankly kind of smelly, I can't really picture most girls choosing them over a swallow for example. I sure didn't.

Frankly CollectA has enough horses in their roster, it would be nice if they at least scaled back to 1-2 figures a year. Maybe diversify into other domestic animals instead, do a sub-line of lovebird breeds or something.

I don't like generalizing, but having worked part-time at Chapters-Indigo for over a decade, it has been my observation that the Schleich horses are far more popular with girls than boys. And in my capacity as an educator, virtually all the young equestrians I've met have been female. There's just something about a horse or a pony that little girls find super appealing. Look at how many horses have shown up in the Barbie line. Or in Playmobil. Or LEGO, especially the Friends line. Boys only seem to gravitate to horses when they've got knights in armour riding them.

Believe me, I share your sentiments and avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres' as well. I'd be thrilled if CollectA, Schleich, and Safari limited themselves to a maximum of only two horses per year. And I'd be absolutely dumbfounded if they went a year without any horse at all.

Ravonium

Hey, that could harm quite a bit of actual sealife  :-[  (assuming you're talking about the figures and not the horses themselves); may I suggest blasting them into space instead?

Andreioli

CollectA will most likely have at least one new figure of a recently named/discovered/recreated species.
Like they had in the years before:
- feathered Tyrannosaurus Rex
- quadruped Spinosaurus
- recreated Deinocheirus
- Nasutoceratops
- Regaliceratops
- renamed Brontosaurus
- Borealopelta

It's great that they're offering new discoveries.
Let's hope they have chosen wisely  ;)

Bokisaurus

Ah, the loathed ubiquitous horses ;D While I don't really collect horses, unfortunately they are so popular, there is a large segment of adult collectors who only collect horses $$$.

And keep in mind in case its already forgotten that a few years ago CollectA partnered with Reeves international to be their main NA distributor. Yes, the same Reeves that makes all of those horses and other farm animals ;D Remember when they made it almost impossible for retailers in NA to stock CollectA's non-horse figures? Not sure of the situation now, but it seems there was a backlash or pushback from CollectA, so now our regular US and Canadian retailers can at least stock the non-horse figures.

I'm sure it was one of the agreement (very bad, someone should have been fired!) they had with Reeves, to produce more horses, heck they even produced a unicorn! something unimaginable just a few years ago ;D
I just hope that if they will continue to produce vast horses figures, they will allow production of some of the true wild horses, we really need some of those.
Cheers ^-^

suspsy

If CollectA released any prehistoric horses, from Eohippus to Equus giganteus, I'd buy those.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 06, 2019, 06:48:47 PM
If CollectA released any prehistoric horses, from Eohippus to Equus giganteus, I'd buy those.

In my case I like everything related to extinct prehistoric animals and sincerely I do not dislike a series of prehistoric horses, in fact, I like the hyracotherium bullyland very much and it is a pity that they do not make figures of those herbivorous mammals although they are not so spectacular Like others of his time.

Halichoeres

Let 'em kick. My shins have been tempered in the fires of Mt. Coffee Table.

Quote from: Ravonium on November 06, 2019, 04:07:57 PM

Hey, that could harm quite a bit of actual sealife  :-[  (assuming you're talking about the figures and not the horses themselves); may I suggest blasting them into space instead?

Regular brain: throw 'em in the sea

Sparkly brain: blast 'em into space

Galaxy brain: melt them down and mold them into prehistoric toys

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: