You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Duna's collection (Ikea cabinet and more) "updated feb"

Started by Duna, October 15, 2019, 09:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Hi again!

I have taken a few pics of the collection I would like to show to avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator so he can see more about the Ikea cabinets. You can click on any of the pictures to see it larger. Sorry about the quality, they are taken with a ordinary phone.

This is my first cabinet, a brown-black Ikea DETOLF with supplementary shelves, the "official collection". Lit with warm lighting fixtures (from Ikea), for about 9 hours a day with a time controller so I can enjoy them better. Only one figure per species or significative group, specially the ones I knew from my childhood. Whenever I find a better/more accurate representation, I take the other figure out and place the new. The order is none specially, small figures on the top, sauropods on the bottom, non-dinosaurs in one shelf and mammals on top of the cabinet.

I'll add more pictures other day, but I wanted specially to take a pic of the sauropods, because I've just added the dinosaur I was waiting for a long time, a mamenchisaurus. The Collecta mamenchisaurus. What a wonderful piece.

The top of the cabinet is also lit with a lamp that is not on sight in the photo. A selection of mammals and the replica of the Archaeopteryx fossil. Most of my figures are protected from the dust but these are not.

And now the others in display in my bedroom. It's another white Ikea DETOLF with 4 cool light fixtures (from Amazon) and extra shelves. On the left there is a white Ikea BESTA 60x40x60 with a clear glass door. These BESTA (there are a lot of sizes) are really nice because you can add how many glass shelves as you want. It is lit with 4 adhesive led stripes, two on the top, and two on the half section. The figures look better in the DETOLF, because you can have a look at them from 2 sides, but BESTA are ok too.
In the cabinet there is the complete Starlux collection of prehistoric animals (1st to 5th shelves) I have just finished collecting, about a hundred figures along with some variations. Below them there is the full Inpro set, the WWD Toyway figures, below them the Quick WWD miniatures, some Ovomaltines/Yoplait and the full set of Linde. The shelf below it is dedicated to AAA, some of the medium sized with their hatchlings and the rubber miniatures. On the bottom there are some figures that have no place in the other cabinet.

In the BESTA there are the figures that are just a bit less pleasant to the eye than the others in the glass cabinet. For example, the smaller ones and the ones that are made of monochrome bright coloured plastic. I could have put all of them in boxes, but I really like to see them everyday and handle when I want.
There are two sets of Marx dinosaurs and some more spares, including 3 metallic silver Large Mold, below there are a set of Sinclair with the 1964 World Fair leaflet, a set of Ajax, Nabisco, El Cigarral and some other plastic vintage miniatures. Below them there are some Spanish collections (Nilo, Miniland mini and medium), Yolanda Jurassic Park full set of keyrings and figures and a collection of JPIII porcelain feves. On the bottom at the back the full set of 24 Panini mini dinosaurs, the 1989 Yolanda large rubber dinosaurs and at the front the full collection of 13 Miniland for Cereales Pascual and the four plastic reissues of Jecsan.

The BESTA is placed on a sinfonier that I had previously and had nothing on top of it but dust, so win-win with the addition. On top of the BESTA there is a wooden and metacrilate cabinet I made myself. It contains all the 1992 UKRD series (poseable and normal), the 1993 series (in both colors) and some Safari I just liked, the Danone Jurassic Park complete collection and the Colorata Prehistoric Creatures in its box.
Another day I'll put more pictures of them. This top part is not lit.
On top of the Ikea DETOLF there are the three versions of the iconic Papo standing tyrannosaurus (green, brown and rainbow) with the two babies and behind, the Recur basilosaurus.

Another day I'll put more pictures of the Invicta and UKRD museum line collections.
I would like to buy more but vintage collections are expensive and I don't have more room. So I'm happy with what I have by now.

Hope you like it.  :)

UK

Looks great. I must do something similar myself at some point.

Concavenator

Thank you very much for the pics, avatar_Duna @Duna , much appreciated  ^-^ As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

I had seen that cabinet with your "official" collection before, but wow, I really understand how good of an investment that cabinet was for you! Even with your new acquisitions, the cabinet is perfectly able of storing them and there's still space left. And you have quite the collection of sauropods at the bottom. The retro figures look great in those shelves as well. The lights add points too.

You have quite a strong collection there. Can't really speak myself for any retro figures, since I'm pretty much clueless in that department, but when it comes to modern figures, you certainly a have a fine state.

Duna

Quote from: UK on November 21, 2021, 10:27:35 PM
Looks great. I must do something similar myself at some point.
Thanks! You'll certainly lose some charm of your shelves but you'll get more room. I like your display because you can see them everyday, too.

Thank you avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator  ^-^

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Your collection and display is lovely, and you have nice arrangement skills. The CollectA Mamenchisaurus is a very nice figure. One of my all time favourites.
Who makes the Glyptodon and Megaloceras, is it that Laekon?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

stoneage

Shonisaurus

What a beautiful and cozy collection you have, it is very well presented, those cabinets with lights from Ikea have been great for your main showcase and the other cabinets are also great. How much have those showcases cost you out of curiosity? I must buy one to house my most prominent figures. I really like your presentation. You have a great collection, I congratulate you as I always do.

ceratopsian

You have an excellent setup.  The warm lights especially really set off your models.

Duna

Thank you all :)

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 22, 2021, 12:44:23 AM
Your collection and display is lovely, and you have nice arrangement skills. The CollectA Mamenchisaurus is a very nice figure. One of my all time favourites.
The Megaloceros is the Papo one, repainted by me in about 40% to look as the Megaloceros depicted by cave men. Here you can see it: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9427.0
The Glyptodon is the Wild Republic version from 2006 and it's very nice (a lot of detail, and it's a hollow figure). It was love at first sight.

Quote from: stoneage on November 22, 2021, 04:28:23 AM
How hard is it to put the Ikea cabinets together.
There is no room for either of them together. One is just next to the door and the other is next to the bed.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, the Ikea DETOLF glass cabinet costs 59€ (less in Wallapop or second hand) with 4 shelves included. You have to add to that price the lighting fixtures if you want (from Amazon or Ikea (about 4 pieces to light it all). The BESTA costs 80€ with the glass door and one glass shelf.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, thank you, I agree with you, the warm light of that cabinet looks even better on person.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Duna @Duna Thanks! It is very affordable I will try to buy that display case. My dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are in need of worthy showcases like yours.

Libraraptor

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I think I remember seeing it now but wow that paint job transforms the Papo Megaloceras
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bokisaurus

Very beautiful and clean display! I love how you can see the figures well.
Wow, congratulations on those awesome Starlux, that's an amazing accomplishments to have them all!😃

BrontoScorpio

What beautiful display shelves you have -
you clearly know your way around with vintage stuff - especially the spanish ones.

Those JECSANs remind me the starlux's - which, by the way, you 'A'sed ( although I think for myself, I would have divide them differently among the shelves ).
I'm not sure I would also have bother with some of the more cheap minis ... but you're clearly a man who values 'completeness' while collecting.

Duna

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 23, 2021, 05:53:30 PM
Very beautiful and clean display! I love how you can see the figures well.
Wow, congratulations on those awesome Starlux, that's an amazing accomplishments to have them all!😃
Thank you! I has been a very hard work, almost a year. I'm still missing the cavemen, I decided not to collect them but I may change my mind.  ;D

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 23, 2021, 06:44:25 PM
What beautiful display shelves you have -
you clearly know your way around with vintage stuff - especially the spanish ones.

Those JECSANs remind me the starlux's - which, by the way, you 'A'sed ( although I think for myself, I would have divide them differently among the shelves ).
I'm totally open to suggestions, I'm very new to collecting! But you'll have to do it on 5 shelves. :D I just kind of sorted them like that because of space (some figures are taller, others longer) and just tried to put the mammals on one shelf but they were too many, so the proboscideans went with some of the non-dinosaurs.
JECSAN are the gem of Spanish collectors, incredibly expensive, but they were larger than the Starlux and made of a very hard vulcanized rubber and painted, that ages horribly, nothing like the wonderful condition of the material of Starlux. I made a little thread about Spanish vintage collections here, if you like to have a look.

QuoteI'm not sure I would also have bother with some of the more cheap minis ... but you're clearly a man who values 'completeness' while collecting
Oh, you noticed the minis, too? You are a very good observer, they are very difficult to see in that picture.
By the way, I'm a "she".  ^-^ And you are right in another thing, I value completeness a lot, yes. So when I saw the little minis I couldn't resist to add them to the collection. I even bought a catalogue leaflet, too. Same with the color variation of some figures.

Here you can see the Starlux miniatures I have, even with two original boxes they came in:

And the comparison with their larger "brothers". They are very delicate, but less detailed. I don't really know if there are more in the collection but they are hard to find.

stoneage

Quote from: Duna on November 22, 2021, 06:29:15 PM
Thank you all :)

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 22, 2021, 12:44:23 AM
The Megaloceros is the Papo one, repainted by me in about 40% to look as the Megaloceros depicted by cave men. Here you can see it: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9427.0
The Glyptodon is the Wild Republic version from 2006 and it's very nice (a lot of detail, and it's a hollow figure). It was love at first sight.

Quote from: stoneage on November 22, 2021, 04:28:23 AM
How hard is it to put the Ikea cabinets together.
There is no room for either of them together. One is just next to the door and the other is next to the bed.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, the Ikea DETOLF glass cabinet costs 59€ (less in Wallapop or second hand) with 4 shelves included. You have to add to that price the lighting fixtures if you want (from Amazon or Ikea (about 4 pieces to light it all). The BESTA costs 80€ with the glass door and one glass shelf.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, thank you, I agree with you, the warm light of that cabinet looks even better on person.

I meant how hard was it to assemble the Ikea cabinets?

stoneage

I didn't realize there were miniature Starlux figures.  I don't see them in their catalog.  Does anybody know how many miniature figures there are?   

BlueKrono

The line is called Cafe Boca. There's not many of them. I'd have to check Dinosauriana, but I don't have access to that computer right now.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

What beautiful Starlux figures you have, by the way, how many vintage company figures do you have approximately? You must have a lot. My congratulations.

Duna

Quote from: stoneage on November 24, 2021, 03:24:02 AM
I meant how hard was it to assemble the Ikea cabinets?
It's quite easy following the instructions, the glass cabinet is much easier than the BESTA. By the way, being glass, the package is very heavy.

S @stoneage I don't know how many figures there were, I haven't seen more different than the ones I have.
Yes, they are from Cafe Boca. The name seems to have been engraved individually on the plastic boxes they came in, because the letters are placed differently in my boxes. I was very lucky to get the two because they seem even more rare than the figures themselves:

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono That would be fantastic if you find more information about them.  ;)

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Only the ones on display, not more: Marx, Sinclair, Ajax, El Cigarral, Linde, Nabisco, Inpro, Starlux, Ovomaltine, AAA, UKRD and then the ones from the 90s.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: