You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Duna's collection (Ikea cabinet and more) "updated feb"

Started by Duna, October 15, 2019, 09:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Quote from: SidB on February 28, 2020, 12:20:14 PM
I totally identified with your move, earlier, to install new levels in the cabinet. Been there, done it. Maybe you'll have to acquire another cabinet before too much longer?
Very very likely!  ::) But I'm trying to resist at least for a couple of years. Now it's impossible to put another cabinet next to that, no room.

SidB

You're right, that may slow you down. But, "Life will find a find a way," yes?

Duna

Just after Alcaiceria opened again its online shop, I ordered this figures in May. I wanted to support the local trade:

- Schleich Kentrosaurus 2017: I really wanted to get it. I like it a lot more than the Collecta one. It's undoubtedly one of the best Schleich figures along with the Dracorex (the only Schleich figures I own by the moment). I would have liked it with more sharpened tips, but I understand it's made this way for children' safety reason. I think it could only be dethroned by a new version by PNSO or Safari.
- Collecta microraptor 2020: I needed a microraptor in my collection and all the actual figures have "flaws", even the newer by PNSO. The Collecta version seem too big for my collection and I quite dispise the material that Collecta uses in some of their figures like this. It's too light.
- Collecta bajadasaurus 2020: A figure that has made an exception in my collection (I usually only collect classic and most common dinosaurs), but Bajadasaurus was one to get yes or yes. As Atlasaurus or Qianzhosaurus. This new sauropod is amazing and so special. Collecta's version is very nice. It's not a superb figure but is very nice, like the brontosaurus, which is very alike.

More recently, I ordered little by little some of the new PNSO. As I only collect common classic dinosaurs (and some special ones like the Bajadasaurus, or Qianzhousaurus), I'm not interested in the rest.
Unfortunately, the first I ordered in October, the Lambeosaurus, is lost in Madrid in "Post Hell" ...  :'(

- 2020 PNSO Tuojiangosaurus: For me, one of the best figures not only from this year but from all PNSO. It's a beauty, plump, well proportionated, with pleasant colors.
- 2020 PNSO Corythosaurus: It's very nice, but expensive. Head it's too big for my taste, but I love the colors. I find a bit annoying that mine is so severely warped that does not stand at all from the begging, it just keeps falling backwards. I fixed the right arm with hot water but it lasted a little, now it's in need for another fix.
- 2020 PNSO Spinosaurus: I decided to get it because I wanted an updated spinosaurus with the swimming tail, and there were some things in the GR Toys one that I didn't like ... at first. But after getting the PNSO I'm starting to think that I like more the GR Toys one. PNSO it's way too small for its price, they have better sculpted and painted figures for that price or even lower. Spinosaurus must be BIG. The only positive thing of that is to require less room to display, but also the arms, I'm not quite happy with them. For me it's the weakest figure of the year.
- 2020 PNSO Miragaia: She is a stunner, a lovely figure. Just like the Tuojiangosaurus. They even display wonderfully together. The yellow spikes make a lovely fresh contrast with the dull dark colors of most figures.

The other figures I'm buying are some vintage figures to complete my collections from 1993 (my first figures) which were not complete.

I completed the 1993 Official Danone Jurassic Park hard plastic collection, which I was missing 5 of the 12 and I was very lucky to get a few very rare color versions of some of them.
Here you can check the updates of my collection: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9177.0

I also completed the 1993 UKRD medium sized figures, which I only had 3 of the 12. They were not hard to get. Check here all the pictures of the figures and the story of the collection:  http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9178.0

And I also got myself in completing the 1993 UKRD small sized figures collection (a mini version of the others). I had none of them 30 years ago, but two years ago I got 3. It was quite hard to complete, specially one of the figures, the triceratops. Last week I even found another mini triceratops, whose paint looks even in better state. I ordered it as soon as posible, can't wait to have it in my hands!

I'm trying to get the second paint version of them, too. So I ordered a lot in ebay USA and one in a Spanish collection webpage, so both lots may complete the collection.

First version:

Libraraptor

Halichoeres

These are some great additions. I wasn't aware the Danone set had a Dimetrodon. And that UKRD ankylosaur with the nose horn is an oddity. I guess they put a lot more effort into their larger figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

avatar_Duna @Duna My congratulations on your new acquisitions. Honestly, the PNSO figures are all tempting, in my case I stopped my collection for reasons of saving in the PNSO sauropelta which is the last one I collected.

On the other hand, I share with you that we must support the local business of large retailers, I also do it with the Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid, which still does not have the latest Collecta 2020 news. In my case, I will wait for what it does. lack. I am not selling to any online store for Collecta and Schleich products and even Papo and Mesozoo.

The bajadasaurus is one of my favorite sauropod figures this year and I sincerely share your opinions about this wonderful figure and the same can be said about the Schleich kentrosaurus and the Collecta microraptor and honestly about this last figure it is for me better than the microraptor by PNSO by far.

Also good to complete figures from dinosaur companies of the past like those beloved UKRD figures and the Official Danone Jurassic Park hard plastic figures. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures and enjoy them.

Duna

Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus

A few days ago I went to Ikea to get two more spot led lights for the cabinet, because I only had 2. Now with the shelves more crowded, some were not well iluminated.
I fixed them inside and hid the cable. All of them turn on at the same time thanks to a time programmer.

Actual pics:

Two pics of the inside.
-1st SHELF: All the small figures. There is no clasification or order. Just the size
- 2nd SHELF: All the pleasant-to-the-eye figures. This shelf is the best to have a look at it, so I put all the figures that deserve to be looked at for a long time. No wonder that most of them are the PNSO. Papo's Therizinosaurus and Pentaceratops have also made  a place in it.
- 3rd SHELF: Other medium sized figures.
- 4th SHELF: Large predator shelf. Here there are the longest figures: Eofauna giganotosaurus, Safari feathered rex, Papo acrocanthosaurus and 2019 Spinosaurus.
- 5th SHELF: Ceratopsids, Stegosaurus, other ornitopods.
- 6th SHELF: Non dinosaurs.
- Bottom SHELF: Tallest figures and most sauropods (except Collecta brontosaurus that is on the 3rd shelf). Papo standing rex and spinosaurus are in my collection because though inaccurate, they are great figures (and I like to display obsolete depictions of both).
I only need by now a mamenchisaurus and Collecta 2021 is just perfect for my collection (neck upright).

Here is a picture of the lower part:

Halichoeres

Beautiful setup! Great use of the glass cabinet.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

The cabinet looks great. A real pleasure to see it!

Shonisaurus

You have been from a movie. It's great to see well-presented, state-of-the-art figures on your shelf and neat and not cluttered shelves.

Libraraptor

Duna

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres
Thank you all!

I would like to have more room to put another cabinet so I could display better, but unfortunately I have no more place ...

Crackington

Very nice cabinet avatar_Duna @Duna and wonderful collection.

I have an older style IKEA cabinet which is still holding up well, but just wondered if you were able to make use of the top of it too?

Suspect the lighting might make this difficult though?

Bokisaurus

Wonderful collection and very nicely presented! 😃

Duna

Quote from: Crackington on January 02, 2021, 05:05:27 PM
Very nice cabinet avatar_Duna @Duna and wonderful collection.

I have an older style IKEA cabinet which is still holding up well, but just wondered if you were able to make use of the top of it too?

Suspect the lighting might make this difficult though?
You mean the top of the cabinet? On top of the wooden top? Of course! And that's my next update, because I've already bought the lighting (it will be fixed to the taller estructure on the right) also in Ikea, but before even putting it in place, I dropped it on the floor and the led is dead. So taking advantage of the circumstance I will disassemble it and put a 12V charger with a 12V two pin led mini bulb. The other one went at 24V with an intensity regulator and I don't need too much.
If you wonder what it's on top of the cabinet, it's the place reserved for prehistoric mammals (by now). There is the Eofauna deinotherium, Collecta daeodon and when I can buy it in Alcaiceria shop, Collecta elasmotherium, too. There is room for a woolly mammooth and a paraceratherium by Eofauna, whenever they do them. I am in no hurry, I'll wait.

Crackington

That sounds good, there's a lot of space up top!

Sorry to hear about the lighting mishap, but glad you are able to turn it to your advantage. You are clearly very resourceful. Look forward to seeing some pictures some day.

Sarapaurolophus

Your display is Detolf goals. I need to install additional levels in mine real soon.

Duna

Yesterday A-shuu! arrived  :D and I'm really in love with it. In fact Qianzhousaurus was not first in my list because I try to collect first classic dinosaurs I've heard about in my childhood. But some newer dinosaurs have such special "features" that are really interesting. For example Bajadasaurus, Atlasaurus or Amargasaurus. Miragaia and Concavenator. But not in zhuchengtyrannus or yangchuanosaurus. I have to make a preselection due to space, so I prefer tuojiangosaurus and kentrosaurus instead of chungkingosaurus.
"Pinocchio rex" is so special that I decided to add it to my collection. And PNSO has made a perfect one: small, pretty and affordable.

The figure has a fantastic light mint and brown coloration, very original and quite different from the omnipresent yellow with brown stripes of this year PNSOs. Mine stands perfectly on its own, so no rod is needed. I decided to give a better use to the rod and I put in in a figure that was in more need of it: Safari feathered tyrannosaurus, that keeps falling down every now and then, even repositioning it with hot water, which only works for a few days or weeks. It looks very nice with it now.
The only little flaw of the figure is that the whole right leg is much thicker than the left one, and it's more obvious in the ankle. But it's just my appreciation because I'm really perfectionist and I look at everything. However, it's a wonderful figure and I highly recommend it.

Subduction

I will never get tired of looking through your collection. It's well-organized and displayed nicely. I also really admire your dedication to stick to your critieria/rules. It's inspiring! :D

As for the PNSO Quianzhousaurus, I must not have looked at the promotional photos carefully. Because I didn't know it had those mint colors! I don't know how I feel about them but I can appreciate their attempt to make the color scheme more unique. Regardless, I'll definitely be buying this figure and adding it to my collection! :D

Duna

Thanks a lot S @Subduction ! I highly recommend the Qianzhousaurus, I'm sure you will love it. The fantastic mint color is not well captured in my photo because it's very tricky for the camera, but it's very fresh and different from other figures. I really like it a lot.
In the middle of the night the figure falled down and woke me up, so I put the rod under it. In the morning it did not need it, maybe the differences in temperature caused it to warp and fall.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: