News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2021 Hopes and Dreams!

Started by suspsy, October 29, 2019, 09:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Loon on December 17, 2019, 05:00:25 PM

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on December 17, 2019, 04:15:01 PM
A Struthiomimus sedens would be nice, since it would start to round out the Hell Creek fauna from Safari.

^This

If we're rounding out Hell Creek fauna, I'd also like to continue the trend of feathered dromaeosaurs and get a Dakotaraptor in scale with the last several Hell Creek dinos that have come out.

SidB

Quote from: Loon on December 04, 2019, 03:45:08 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 08, 2019, 12:29:52 AM
I'm not going to go into my full wished yet, but I sincerely hope that when Cryolophosaurus is revisited, it has feathers this time, in the same style as the Coelophysis.

Ever since I went to the Antarctic Dinosaurs exhibit (like a few days ago), I have wanted a figure like the exhibit's model of Cryolophosaurus. I think the only company that could make a figure like that would be Safari.

Other than that, here's what I'd like to see:

Protoceratops: Other than the upcoming, and too large, BOTM and CollectA figures, this genus lacks any decent figure representation. Given my love for this animal and Safari's Ceratopsians as a whole, I feel they could knock a Protoceratops out of the park. 2 things: Make it in scale with the Velociraptor, and maybe give a a red and yellow coloration...I don't know...

Plesiosaurus: Since it seems like Safari's redoing all of the most popular species from their past Wild Safari and Carnegie lines, I figure it's about time this genus got it's update. Also, in 2021, we would not have had a marine reptile for 4 years.

Tarbosaurus: Given it's close resemblance to Tyrannosaurus, I can see why many companies do not make Tarbosaurus figures very often. However, in this case, I feel it could be advantageous. To stay up to date with current research, instead of updating the Tyrannosaurus to "scaley", they can use the Tarbosaurus as a model for what a large, predominantly scaled Tyrannosaur would look like. Also, it'd go well with their Deinocheirus from 2017.
I think that Loon has an insight here with the comment on the Tarbosaurus. There is a certain commercial pressure for Safari to produce a large tyrannosaurid. The public expects and demands it. I too would like to see the Tarbosaurus, but I'm not optimistic - it doesn't have the PR of the famous T-rex, which is so similar. T-rex is the default choice.

Now, Doug Watson has done an astonishing job with the existing feathered T-rex. Ironically, over in the Papo 2020 thread, the conversation has started to speculate on that company making a feathered one. Conversely, I could see Safari making a new featherless one or nearly so - specifically by Doug to replace the old, old version that was surprisingly repainted this year (likely for the last time). Why did they do this rather shocking repaint of a totally obsolete figure. To me, it seems that Safari must have a traditional featherless Tyrannosaurus. It's what the public wants. This may be repellant to many here, but we're only a minute sementof a very large market.

If it must be so, and I think that it's reboot in an updated form is inevitable, then Doug is certainly the one to do it. I believe that he would refashion it as the ultimate featherless ( or nearly featherless) Tyrannosaurus rex.

Loon

Quote from: SidB on December 19, 2019, 04:14:27 AM
If it must be so, and I think that it's reboot in an updated form is inevitable, then Doug is certainly the one to do it. I believe that he would refashion it as the ultimate featherless ( or nearly featherless) Tyrannosaurus rex.

I would agree that a mostly featherless (I'm of the opinion that feathers would very likely still be present and should still be visible on a scaley model) Tyrannosaurus is due. However, I doubt it will happen soon.

SidB

I suspect that you're right, though the remarkable persistence of the old-style T-rex seems to indicate a possible back-burner simmering. In the meanwhile, I'd sure love to see Doug do a Tarbo.

Faelrin

I realized that we are long over due for an up to date Edmontonia. Not many options out there as it is for this one. Kind of a shame really as it was a prominent member of the Dinosaur Park formation (ditto with Chasmosaurus, Corythosaurus, and Lambeosaurus).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 19, 2019, 04:28:30 PM
I realized that we are long over due for an up to date Edmontonia. Not many options out there as it is for this one. Kind of a shame really as it was a prominent member of the Dinosaur Park formation (ditto with Chasmosaurus, Corythosaurus, and Lambeosaurus).

Based on the past few years, it seems Safari releases a member of each major group every couple years. Given the last Ankylosaur and Ceratopsian were realesed almost two years ago, we could see one, or maybe both, in the 2021 lineup.

Daspletodave

Yes to all the above, as well as Struthiomimus (and/or Ornithomimus), Centrosaurus, Torosaurus, Pentaceratops, and Plateosaurus.

Quote from: Loon on December 19, 2019, 04:39:42 PM

Based on the past few years, it seems Safari releases a member of each major group every couple years. Given the last Ankylosaur and Ceratopsian were realesed almost two years ago, we could see one, or maybe both, in the 2021 lineup.

I think you're looking at the wrong pattern. Those two were part of a Hell Creek kick they seem to be on right now (Feathered T. rex, Ankylosaurus, Triceratops, Edmontosaurus). That's not to say they WON'T release a new ankylosaur or ceratopsian next year, in fact I think it's pretty likely. I'm just pointing out those two particular models seem to be part of a different trend.

SidB

Well, there is another option currently. The original Battats are uncommon, of course. However, their very decent Edmontonia seems to be somewhat more abundant. I've three of them, obtained for a couple of bucks each from local thrift shops. Also, and more significantly, there's usually one or two available on eBay for 30-35 dollars at any given time. Not bad for this beautiful figure which actually seems to be closer to 1/35 than the 1/40 advertised scale. This would allow it to fit in very nicely with Safari's present Hell Creek offerings.

Sim

If the new Safari Edmontosaurus represents E. regalis, it's not an animal found in the Hell Creek Formation.  Here it was said that there are many mummies of the Hell Creek Edmontosaurus species and none show the Safari figure's crest: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4144.msg124510#msg124510

Anzu and Pachycephalosaurus would be part of Safari's Hell Creek series too.

Quote from: Sim on December 22, 2019, 02:50:55 PM
If the new Safari Edmontosaurus represents E. regalis, it's not an animal found in the Hell Creek Formation.  Here it was said that there are many mummies of the Hell Creek Edmontosaurus species and none show the Safari figure's crest: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4144.msg124510#msg124510

Oh yeah, I forgot about those two.
As far as Edmontosaurus, since most customers focus on genus rather than species, I'm sure that's how Safari is thinking of things as well. The specific species Doug chose to sculpt may not appear in Hell Creek, but if Safari is indeed trying to work their way through Hell Creek, I think they would count this as one of the series.

Halichoeres

I'm beginning to despair that Safari will ever make another prehistoric Toob.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 28, 2019, 03:02:25 PM

Keep the faith! We need to convince them there's an audience!

Szajmin

My hopes for Safarii are the same as for Collecta (because both companies dont shy away from more obscure non-dinosaurs figures, my hopes for Mojo or Schleich would be dfferent):

"Arthropleura
Tullimonstrum
Platyoposaurus
Diplocaulus
Scutosaurus
Arizonasaurus
Placerias
Mastodonsaurus
Livyatan
Prolibytherium
Bramatherium
Behemotops
Bison latifrons
Pelorovis antiquus
Pezosiren
Moeritherium
Great Auk
Moa
Dodo
Hesperornis
Trigodon
Gobiatherium
Paleoparadoxia
Ambulocetus"

I know that they dont gonna do all of that, but i really hoping for some exinct mammal or amphibian.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 28, 2019, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 28, 2019, 03:02:25 PM

Keep the faith! We need to convince them there's an audience!

I definitely included one as part of my survey response, but it's been 7 years!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoxels

I got Dilophosaurus and Deinonychus right last year, so here we go for 2021:
10. Patagotitan
9. Hatzegopteryx
8. Koolasuchus
7. Acrocanthosaurus
6. Edmontonia
5. Baryonyx
4. Brontosaurus
3. Leptoceratops
2. Paraceratherium
1. Miragia
Random ones I want at some point: Appalachiosaurus, Champososaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Yi Qi, Sinosauropteryx, Chalicotherium, Ceratosaurus (or Saltriovenator), Zuul, Struthiomimus, and Plateosaurus.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Szajmin

Ok, I thought a little, and there are two species of dinosaurs I would like to see:

Halszkaraptor
Mononykus

Loon

Not really 2021, but in the future, since Safari's been updating their lineup, I wonder if soon we might see the retirement of the old Prehistoric mammal models. I wouldn't mind a larger Woolly Mammoth and Megatherium. But, I'd prefer a new Paraceratherium first.

Shonisaurus

My wish is that Safari would make a paraceratherium with the creative potential of the Safari brand would be great. Everything will depend on how the sales of current prehistoric mammals of that great brand develop, although I am realistic enough to realize that they do not have the same "commercial pull" as other prehistoric animals.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 23, 2019, 07:34:33 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 22, 2019, 02:50:55 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about those two.
As far as Edmontosaurus, since most customers focus on genus rather than species, I'm sure that's how Safari is thinking of things as well. The specific species Doug chose to sculpt may not appear in Hell Creek, but if Safari is indeed trying to work their way through Hell Creek, I think they would count this as one of the series.

I just discovered this official "Hell Creek" bundle on Safari Ltd.'s website! So they're definitely aware they have a bit of a pattern going on recently. I'm pretty sure the Pachy and Edmonto will be added to this eventually.
https://store.safariltd.com/collections/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-sets/products/hell-creek-dinos

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: