News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2021 Hopes and Dreams!

Started by suspsy, October 29, 2019, 09:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

And here it goes again!  :)

Theropods
Falcarius
Gigantoraptor
Herrerasaurus
Megalosaurus
Ornithomimus
Teratophoneus
Utahraptor (probably not gonna get two dromaeosaurs in a row, but who knows?)

Marginocephalians
Arrhinoceratops
Judiceratops
Protoceratops
Stegoceras (again, we already got Pachycephalosaurus, but this little guy deserves a nod!)
Torosaurus
Udanoceratops

Thyreophorans
Huayangosaurus
Kentrosaurus
Pinacosaurus
Scelidosaurus
Zuul (my number one pick!)

Ornithopods
Camptosaurus
Corythosaurus
Hypsilophodon
Lambeosaurus
Ouranosaurus

Sauropods
Brachytrachelopan
Dicraeosaurus
Europasaurus
Saltasaurus

Pterosaurs
Anurognathus
Dsungaripterus
Jeholopterus
Pterodaustro

Sea Monsters
Helicoprion
Globidens
Jaekelopterus
Machimosaurus
Rhomaleosaurus

Early Monsters
Cynognathus
Erythrosuchus
Gorgonops
Placerias
Smok
Tiktaalik

Cenozoic Beasts
Arctotherium
Argentavis
Gigantopithecus
Megaloceras
Meiolania
Moeritherium
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Vidusaurus

I had a pretty good run predicting this year's batch, predicting almost half (exactly half if I give myself points for predicting Utahraptor and getting Deinonychus instead) of the animals that were added to the line-up and with roughly a third of my predictions coming true. 6 out of this year's 9 new figures are updated versions of species that Safari has done before, either for the Carnegie line or the Wild Safari collection, and I think that trend will continue with the next batch of new releases. With that in mind, let's get into my predictions for 2021.

1: Sinoceratops. I'm carrying this one over from last year's predictions because we didn't get a ceratopsian in the most recent batch of new releases, which is unprecedented for Safari. I can't see this break lasting for more than one year, especially given how talented the Safari team have proven themselves at bringing these creatures to life. While I personally would prefer to see some of the more neglected old favourites such as Anchiceratops or Centrosaurus, the Jurassic World-related reasons I listed last year still stand, so I think Sinoceratops is the one to watch for 2021.

2: Cryolophosaurus. Whether intentional or not, the big companies tend to play follow-the-leader in terms of hot topic new releases (e.g. Carnotaurus, Styracosaurus & Baryonyx in the last couple of years). With Mattel and Schleich already announcing new Cryolophosaurus toys for 2020, I think that Safari following suit for 2021 is a safe bet. The body proportions of the old Carnegie Cryo made it look like a lizard on stilts, and with the two offerings for next year being particularly uninspired in terms of accuracy, this is a great opportunity for Safari to once again blow their competitors out of the water and cement themselves as the gold standard for not only children's dinosaur toys but mass-produced paleoart.

3: Plateosaurus. Another one of my dud calls from last year, Plateosaurus is still one of my top choices for 2021's catalogue for the same reasons I listed this time last year: there are very few, if any, quality reproductions of basal sauropodomorphs on the market, and those that do meet the standard are often wildly expensive. Early dinosaurs are often ignored by toy companies, and this is another old childhood favourite that hasn't quite gotten the recognition it deserves.

4: Kentrosaurus. The diminutive little Wild Safari Kentro has been off the market for a few years now and this is the perfect time to reinstate it to Safari's catalogue. As the second-most-famous stegosaur, it is unique, distinctive and interesting while still being recognisably stegosaurian enough for budding dinosaur enthusiasts to make the connection and unwitting parents to not be able to tell the difference. While I think that there are a few other older models in the Carnegie collection that probably need an update more, Kentrosaurus would be more than deserving of an updated model.

5: Tanystropheus. Speaking of older Carnegie models, Tanystropheus is one that has been crying out for an update ever since the consolidation of the two Safari lines. The new standard at Safari seems to be "one Triassic non-dinosaurian oddball every year" (see: Shringasaurus, Prestosuchus) and I don't see this year being any different. Safari would be the perfect company to bring the new ideas about its anatomy and behaviour to life.

6: Majungasaurus. Another one that I'm carrying over from last year's batch of predictions. Other than Ceratosaurus and Carnotaurus, ceratosaurs are often neglected by toy companies (Safari only has those two and Masiakasaurus). As one of the most distinctive and - importantly - well-known members of the group, it would be a perfect option for Safari to expand their catalogue.

7: Andrewsarchus. One of the many prehistoric creatures whose fame is vastly disproportionate to how much we know about it, Andrewsarchus has long been a staple of those rare children's books which cover extinct species that aren't just dinosaurs. However, it's often been represented as basically the dog version of an erythrosuchid, rather than the oddball pig-hippo-crocodile hybrid whale cousin that it actually was, including by Safari's own sculptors in the early 2000's. I'm picking Andrewsarchus for my second non-dinosaur slot because Safari are the perfect company to bring to life the current hypotheses about its appearance.

8: Ouranosaurus. I tossed up between this, Corythosaurus and Maiasaura for the big herbivore slot but in the end I went with Ouranosaurus, both because it is a fascinating, highly distinctive animal that Safari hasn't done yet, and because I wanted to use my last "updated Carnegie/Wild Safari" slot for something else. In any case Ouranosaurus deserves to be on this list in its own right.

9: Ornithomimus. I find it really bizarre that, other than Deinocheirus, Safari has never done an ornithomimosaur. It's a big hole in their resume and I think it will be rectified next year. You could realistically replace this spot with either Struthiomimus or Gallimimus to the same effect, but I'm going with Ornithomimus as it fits in well with their recent "Hell Creek series" which now includes Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Anzu and Edmontosaurus. It also fulfills their quota of at least one feathered dinosaur per year.

10: Beipiaosaurus. This would be the second of Carnegie's "feathered dinosaur series" to get an updated model in the new Safari line, following 2017's Microraptor (third if you count Citipati as an updated Oviraptor). Given that therizinosaur toys are few and far between, and the ones that are on the market are more Freddy Kreuger than Therizinosaurus proper, it would also be a good choice to bring these oddballs into the public light as real animals rather than movie monsters.

And that's it for this year's predictions! As usual there were a lot more animals that I considered, but in the end I had to trim it down considerably as Safari generally only produces 12 or less new toys per year. Honourable mentions go to Brontosaurus and Dsungaripterus, who I predicted last year, as well as Corythosaurus, Saltasaurus, Albertosaurus, Utahraptor, Maiasaura, Arsinotherium, Dilong, Baryonyx, Sinraptor, Tupandactylus and Leptoceratops, all of whom are due for an update but who I couldn't quite justify picking for whatever reason or who just got squeezed out by better options.

triceratops83

Plain and simple... Alamosaurus. Not just because we need one to go with the other Maastrichtian super-stars, but to me at least, it was that iconic sauropod that doesn't get enough attention nowadays. I remember vivid pictures of it being pounced upon by monstrous Tyrannosaurs in my childhood dinosaur books. I have to admit, the Collecta Alamosaurus is probably my favourite of their earlier figures, but a decent Safari (Doug Watson) version at 1:35 scale (or at least bigger than the other 1:35 animals) would be the standout toy of 2021. For a better future, let's all stand behind Alamosaurus!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Shonisaurus

I wish a quaesitosaurus is a sauropod that although only a considerable part of the skull is known (at least for what I learned in the books I have on paleontology) it would be a good choice by Safari for the year 2021.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: triceratops83 on October 30, 2019, 09:54:04 AM
Plain and simple... Alamosaurus. Not just because we need one to go with the other Maastrichtian super-stars, but to me at least, it was that iconic sauropod that doesn't get enough attention nowadays. I remember vivid pictures of it being pounced upon by monstrous Tyrannosaurs in my childhood dinosaur books. I have to admit, the Collecta Alamosaurus is probably my favourite of their earlier figures, but a decent Safari (Doug Watson) version at 1:35 scale (or at least bigger than the other 1:35 animals) would be the standout toy of 2021. For a better future, let's all stand behind Alamosaurus!

I agree. And it's not like Alamosaurus is more difficult to say than Apatosaurus, right?

Faelrin

I'm just gonna copy the ones from my post here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8193.msg239985#msg239985

Anchiornis
any eurypterid (perhaps better included in a Paleozoic TOOB, which would good to include simplified and/or smaller versions of their Dimetrodon, and the retired Inostrancevia and Scutosaurus additionally too)
Borealopelta (I submitted this one)
Dakotaraptor
Diplocaulus (good choice for a TOOB figure too, if not a standalone one)
Edaphosaurus (would also be nice as a TOOB figure, in addition to a mainline figure)
Eoraptor
Estemmenosuchus (same as Edaphosaurus here)
Hallucigenia (would be good as a TOOB figure)
Hatzegopteryx
Herrerasaurus
Heterodontosaurus
Ichthyostega (could also be a good choice as a Paleozoic TOOB figure, alongside Tiktaalik above, if not in a Safariology set depicting the evolution of early tetrapods which could also include Acanthostega, etc)
Koolasuchus
Lambeosaurus
Megaloceros
Moschops (would also be nice as a TOOB figure, in addition to a mainline figure)
Ouranosaurus
Pentaceratops
Plesiosaurus
Shuuvia (which has more complete remains then Mononykus does)
Tarbosaurus
Thescelosaurus
Tiktaalik (could also be a good choice as a Paleozoic TOOB figure, alongside Ichthyostega below, if not in a Safariology set depicting the evolution of early tetrapods)
Titanis (or another terror bird)
Titanoboa
Tully Monster (also would be a good TOOB figure choice)
Zuul
Zhenyuanlong
Yi qi
and any species of ornithomimid (such as Gallimimus, Ornithomimus, Struthiomimus, etc)

And some others:
Basilosaurus
Centrosaurus
Chasmosaurus
Placerias
Paraceratherium

Some figures that could possibly use a remake (that have not been discontinued, or very recently so):
Acrocanthosaurus (to be in scale with some of the larger species such as the Feathered Tyrannosaurus, Giganotosaurus, or possibly even the Sauropelta, etc)
Brachiosaurus
Dunkleosteus (to take into account the study suggesting it would have had a shark like tail)
Gaunlong
Mosasaurus
Therizinosaurus

Figures that could use a remake, if not brought back (that have been discontinued):
Albertosaurus
Andrewsarchus
Arsinoitherium
Baryonyx
Corythosaurus
Cryolophosaurus
Deinosuchus
Euplocephalus
Gorgosaurus
Kentrosaurus
Leptoceratops
Maiasaura
Plateosaurus
Protoceratops
Tanystropheus
Utahraptor (I submitted this one)
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

I really want a Maiasaura from Safari, but I guess they won't make a similar ornithopod having made Edmonto for this year. A remake of Scutosaurus and Postosuchus would be great! also Gallimimus or Struthiomimus would be nice and more walking pterosaurs! also new mammals even when they are not my focus I like to see new ones being made and Safari had a great line up two years ago. They could get into marine prehistoric mammals, it would be interesting.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on October 30, 2019, 05:15:50 PM
I'm just gonna copy the ones from my post here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8193.msg239985#msg239985

Anchiornis
any eurypterid (perhaps better included in a Paleozoic TOOB, which would good to include simplified and/or smaller versions of their Dimetrodon, and the retired Inostrancevia and Scutosaurus additionally too)
Borealopelta (I submitted this one)
Dakotaraptor
Diplocaulus (good choice for a TOOB figure too, if not a standalone one)
Edaphosaurus (would also be nice as a TOOB figure, in addition to a mainline figure)
Eoraptor
Estemmenosuchus (same as Edaphosaurus here)
Hallucigenia (would be good as a TOOB figure)
Hatzegopteryx
Herrerasaurus
Heterodontosaurus
Ichthyostega (could also be a good choice as a Paleozoic TOOB figure, alongside Tiktaalik above, if not in a Safariology set depicting the evolution of early tetrapods which could also include Acanthostega, etc)
Koolasuchus
Lambeosaurus
Megaloceros
Moschops (would also be nice as a TOOB figure, in addition to a mainline figure)
Ouranosaurus
Pentaceratops
Plesiosaurus
Shuuvia (which has more complete remains then Mononykus does)
Tarbosaurus
Thescelosaurus
Tiktaalik (could also be a good choice as a Paleozoic TOOB figure, alongside Ichthyostega below, if not in a Safariology set depicting the evolution of early tetrapods)
Titanis (or another terror bird)
Titanoboa
Tully Monster (also would be a good TOOB figure choice)
Zuul
Zhenyuanlong
Yi qi
and any species of ornithomimid (such as Gallimimus, Ornithomimus, Struthiomimus, etc)

And some others:
Basilosaurus
Centrosaurus
Chasmosaurus
Placerias
Paraceratherium

Some figures that could possibly use a remake (that have not been discontinued, or very recently so):
Acrocanthosaurus (to be in scale with some of the larger species such as the Feathered Tyrannosaurus, Giganotosaurus, or possibly even the Sauropelta, etc)
Brachiosaurus
Dunkleosteus (to take into account the study suggesting it would have had a shark like tail)
Gaunlong
Mosasaurus
Therizinosaurus

Figures that could use a remake, if not brought back (that have been discontinued):
Albertosaurus
Andrewsarchus
Arsinoitherium
Baryonyx
Corythosaurus
Cryolophosaurus
Deinosuchus
Euplocephalus
Gorgosaurus
Kentrosaurus
Leptoceratops
Maiasaura
Plateosaurus
Protoceratops
Tanystropheus
Utahraptor (I submitted this one)

As an Aussie, big agree on Koolasuchus. I can't really see it ever happening but it would be incredible. I also would love to see a Herrerasaurus and Shuvuuia.

Renecito

Falcarius
Gigantoraptor
Jeholopterus
Tanystropheus
Xiphactinus
Leedsichthys
Cotylorhynchus
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Ravonium

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 30, 2019, 05:57:37 AM
10: Beipiaosaurus. This would be the first of Carnegie's "feathered dinosaur series" to get an updated model in the new Safari line (unless of course you count Citipati as an updated Oviraptor).

Wouldn't the 2017 Microraptor and Velociraptor also count?

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on October 30, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 30, 2019, 05:57:37 AM
10: Beipiaosaurus. This would be the first of Carnegie's "feathered dinosaur series" to get an updated model in the new Safari line (unless of course you count Citipati as an updated Oviraptor).

Wouldn't the 2017 Microraptor and Velociraptor also count?

Of course, I completely forgot about Microraptor! Velociraptor wouldn't count though, as there was never one released alongside the other feathered dinosaurs.

Ravonium

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 30, 2019, 06:43:42 PM
Of course, I completely forgot about Microraptor! Velociraptor wouldn't count though, as there was never one released alongside the other feathered dinosaurs.

Yeah, fair enough regarding Velociraptor; it was released almost 10 years after the other feathered dinosaurs.

AcroSauroTaurus

Any of these...
Deltadromeus
Sinraptor
Any ceratopsian
Beipiaosaurus
Dilong
Mamenchisaurus
Yangchuanosaurus
Therizinosaurus
Tanystropheus
Albertosaurus
Edmontonia
Heterodontosaurus
Saltasaurus
Estemmenosuchus
Postosuchus
I am the Dinosaur King!

Concavenator

I find it amusing that Safari has not even officially revealed their 2020 figures on their website and there is yet one of these suggestion threads  :P

Still, here's what I would like for 2021...

Bring the sculptor who did the wonderful Anzu and let him do another feathered dinosaur, like Utahraptor, Austroraptor, for example.

I would also like if they started innovating the colors they use for their figures, they're mostly orange-yellow-ish.They could try different tones.

Up to this point, I now want to be surprised rather than wanting a concrete species.Sure, there are species I would like to see, but sometimes the best models end up being on species I didn't really care or like but the model is just too good to be ignored.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on October 31, 2019, 12:17:01 AM

Up to this point, I now want to be surprised rather than wanting a concrete species.Sure, there are species I would like to see, but sometimes the best models end up being on species I didn't really care or like but the model is just too good to be ignored.

Yeah, actually, the times I get most excited about new releases (ok, besides prehistoric fish) are when a company releases an animal I have barely heard of or never heard of. It's an opportunity to get acquainted with a new friend and its biology and environment.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Herrerasaurus
Rhamphorhynchus or Dorygnathus
Saurornithoides
Plateosaurus
Nothosaurus mirabilis

Nothosaurus has suffered from excessive lumping of species into this genus.  Analysis has shown a lot of the species that had been classified as Nothosaurus actually fall outside the genus.  This applies to the species giganteus which is really quite different from the type species of Nothosaurus (the species mirabillis).  It has been suggested that different genera should be used for the species that aren't Nothosaurus.  As mentioned before, mirabilis is the type species of Nothosaurus, which means it is objectively Nothosaurus.  I'd like to see this species be made into a very good figure by Safari!  I'm surprised Nothosaurus hasn't been made into a figure more often, it's charming, looks cool and is interesting in its ability to function in water and on land.

Shonisaurus

I hope we are surprised by Safari with an unprecedented dinosaur in the toy market and even in adult collecting (resin figures to give an example).

I would like for example a bonitasaura a rare sauropod and on a large medium scale. It is a small sauropod but I would like them to do it in a more than acceptable size, without the need for it to be the size of its malawisaurus, camarasaurus or amargasaurus but also not of a small size like the shunosaurus that is a magnificent figure but would have preferred it larger. I prefer Safari figures without scale and if it is to scale to a scale with acceptable sizes.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Sim on November 01, 2019, 07:22:50 PM
Herrerasaurus
Rhamphorhynchus or Dorygnathus
Saurornithoides
Plateosaurus
Nothosaurus mirabilis

Nothosaurus has suffered from excessive lumping of species into this genus.  Analysis has shown a lot of the species that had been classified as Nothosaurus actually fall outside the genus.  This applies to the species giganteus which is really quite different from the type species of Nothosaurus (the species mirabillis).  It has been suggested that different genera should be used for the species that aren't Nothosaurus.  As mentioned before, mirabilis is the type species of Nothosaurus, which means it is objectively Nothosaurus.  I'd like to see this species be made into a very good figure by Safari!  I'm surprised Nothosaurus hasn't been made into a figure more often, it's charming, looks cool and is interesting in its ability to function in water and on land.

These all sound better than the ones I predicted but other than Herrerasaurus & Plateosaurus I unfortunately don't see any of them coming at least for 2021. That being said I don't think anyone would have predicted the 2020 Shringasaurus or Qianzhousaurus so who knows.

Killekor

I would like to see a Sinornithosaurus from Safari. They already made the mini toob one, and I would like to see a new, bigger one. I'm sure that Mr. Watson would make it exceptional!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

GojiraGuy1954

Eustreptospondylus
Kelenken
Hybodus
Cryolophosaurus
Acrocanthosaurus
Torosaurus
Guanlong
Kileskus
Troodon
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: