News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top 10 Best Prehistoric Animal Models of 2019

Started by Concavenator, November 04, 2019, 12:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RESET ‼️ : Which are, in your opinion, the 10 best figures of 2019?

Safari Ltd Carnotaurus
Safari Ltd Coelodonta (Woolly Rhino)
Safari Ltd Citipati
Safari Ltd Styracosaurus
Safari Ltd Prestosuchus
Safari Ltd Camarasaurus
Safari Ltd Spinosaurus
Safari Ltd Stegosaurus
Safari Ltd Allosaurus
Safari Ltd Pteranodon
Safari Ltd Tyrannosaurus (repaint)
CollectA Supreme Caiuajara
CollectA Borealopelta
CollectA Deluxe Carnotaurus
CollectA Deluxe Edaphosaurus
CollectA Deluxe Baryonyx
CollectA Fukuiraptor
CollectA Elasmotherium
CollectA AR Mini dinosaurs
Schleich Spinosaurus
Schleich Animantarx
Schleich Juvenile Giganotosaurus
Schleich Diabloceratops
Schleich Dracorex
Schleich Plesiosaurus
Papo Gorgosaurus
Papo Pentaceratops
Papo Spinosaurus (Limited Edition)
Papo Allosaurus (repaint)
Papo Stegosaurus (repaint)
Papo Running Tyrannosaurus (repaint, brown)
PNSO Sede the Ankylosaurus
PNSO Bieber the Stegosaurus
PNSO Duke the Spinops
PNSO Levy the Eurhinosaurus
PNSO Paulwin the Dakosaurus
PNSO Gaoyuan the Microraptor (Mini)
PNSO Luxi the Huayangosaurus (Mini)
PNSO Dayong the Yangchuanosaurus (Mini)
PNSO Er-ma the Mamenchisaurus (Mini)
PNSO Shanshan the Gigantoraptor (Mini)
PNSO Cuiyu the Tsintaosaurus (Mini)
EoFauna Giganotosaurus
EoFauna Deinotherium
EoFauna Atlasaurus
Mojo Fun Triceratops
Mojo Fun Tropeognathus
Mojo Fun Dunkleosteus
Favorite Mosasaurus (PVC, soft model)
Favorite Fukuivenator (mini)
Colorata Mammuthus
Colorata Arsinoitherium
Colorata Diatryma
Colorata Glyptodon
Colorata Megaloceros
Colorata Megatherium
Colorata Paleoparadoxia
Colorata Smilodon
Recur Basilosaurus
Recur Tylosaurus
Recur Ophtalmosaurus
Recur Tyrannosaurus
Recur Carnotaurus
Recur Giganotosaurus
Recur Plesiosaurus
Kaiyodo Camarasaurus skeleton (Capsule Q)
Kaiyodo Deinonychus (Capsule Q)
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus (Capsule Q)
Kaiyodo Therizinosaurus (Capsule Q)
Kaiyodo Deinocheirus (Dinosaur Expo)
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Expo)
Kaiyodo Deinonychus skeleton (Dinosaur Expo)
Kaiyodo Mosasaurus (Dinosaur Expo)
Kaiyodo Kamuysaurus (Dinosaur Expo)
Mattel Brachiosaurus
Mattel Velociraptor (green Basic Dino Value)
Mattel Mussaurus
Mattel Mononykus
Mattel Quetzalcoatlus
Rebor Stegosaurus armatus (any color)
Rebor Killer Queen T.rex (any color)
Rebor Dilophosaurus (Green Day)
Rebor Dilophosaurus (Oasis)
Rebor Oddities T.rex foetus
Mattel Rhamphorhynchus (Attack pack)
Mattel Coelurus (Attack pack)
Mattel Herrerasaurus (Attack pack)
Mattel Protoceratops (Attack pack)
Mattel Proceratosaurus (Attack pack)
Mattel Dimorphodon (Attack pack)
Mattel Monolophosaurus (Savage Strike)
Mattel Styracosaurus (Savage Strike)
Mattel Dimetrodon (Savage Strike)
Mattel Tapejara (Savage Strike)
Mattel Pachycephalosaurus (Savage Strike)
Mattel Dilophosaurus (Savage Strike)
Mattel Velocirator Blue (Savage Strike)
Mattel Metriacanthosaurus (roarivores)
Mattel Ankylosaurus   (roarivores)
Mattel Baryonyx (roarivores)
Mattel Ceratosaurus    (roarivores)
Mattel Concavenator (Dual attack) (any color)
Mattel Parasaurolophus (Dual attack)
Mattel Triceratops (Dual attack) (any color)
Mattel Pteranodon (Dual attack)
Mattel Allosaurus (Dual attack)
Mattel Suchomimus (Mega Dual Attack)
Mattel Stegosaurus  (Mega Dual Attack)
Mattel Quetzalcoatlus  (Mega Dual Attack)
Mattel Amargasaurus  (Mega Dual Attack)
Mattel T.rex (Large Dinos) (Bite n Fight)
Mattel  Super Colossal Velociraptor Blue (Large Dinos)
Mattel T.rex (Large Dinos) (Chomping)
Mattel Velociraptor Delta
Mattel Velociraptor Charlie
Mattel Velociraptor Echo
Mattel Velociraptor (Savage Strike)
Mattel Velociraptor (white Legacy Collection)
Mattel Velociraptor (brown Legacy Collection)
Mattel Plesiosaurus (Battle Damage)
PNSO Patton the Megalodon (small version)
PNSO Nick the Ceratosaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Brook the Ophtalmosaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Er-ma the Mamenchisaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Lucio the Amargasaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Lucas the Giganotosaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Essien the Spinosaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Dayong the Yangchuanosaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Ron the Mosasaurus (Museum Line)
PNSO Xiaobei the Chungkingosaurus (Museum Line)
Mattel Velociraptor Blue (Basic Dino Value)

Concavenator

The time has come!  :))

As all of the 2019 models have been released already (except for the limited edition Papo Spinosaurus), I decided to finally create a poll where you can vote for your 10 favorite and (in your opinion) the best figures of this year.Have a detailed look at this long list (45 figures) and vote!

Here are some things I would like to make clear...

1) The poll will be running until the first week of February 2020, by that time it's very likely that the Papo Spinosaurus will have been launched (I heard Urzeitshop say they will be receiving them the 1st week of December, but I have also heard MiniZoo say that they will have them in stock early next year; that's why I have decided to keep the poll going until February)

2)This list includes new prehistoric animal model releases from the major brands. I didn't include the PNSO Museum series nor Rebor's models because these are higher end, more expensive models closer to statues than to normal figures instead.

3) In this list I have included all the 2019 releases that I'm aware of.If there was any figure missing, tell me in the comments and I will try to fix that.

4) If you want, you can also explain in the comments why you chose what you chose.

Cheers and happy voting!  ;)

Mirroraptor

vote for PAPO Pentaceratops, Safari Stego, PNSO Stego and Ankylosaurus, EoFauna Giganotosaurus.
btw, I think since Coelodonta is on the list, the Mosasaurus by Favorite co.ltd should also be included. Also Favorite Fukuivenator is 2019's new product.
I am not sure if Kaiyodo minimodel can be included in this list.

gursar

in my humble opinion kaiyodo Q museum and expo figures should be in the list like recent years.
in fact I cannot understand why kaiyodo is excluded this year.

postsaurischian

Quote from: gursar on November 04, 2019, 05:35:49 AM
in my humble opinion kaiyodo Q museum and expo figures should be in the list like recent years.

The same goes for Favorite, Colorata, other Japanese brands, Recur, REBOR, the tons of JP stuff etc. etc.
  And the year isn't over yet. We still don't seem to be able to do a proper poll like they do it on STS.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Concavenator

I haven't kept up with Favorite or Kaiyodo lately, if you tell me which figures they have made for 2019, I can add them to the list.

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 04, 2019, 06:18:46 AM
Quote from: gursar on November 04, 2019, 05:35:49 AM

The same goes for Favorite, Colorata, other Japanese brands, Recur, REBOR, the tons of JP stuff etc. etc.
  And the year isn't over yet. We still don't seem to be able to do a proper poll like they do it on STS.

I can add Recur too. Read my explanation on the first post about Rebor. Also, the list is about voting for the 10 best models of the major brands. If I were to add other brands as well, the list would have no end  :P

Shonisaurus

The PNSO spinosaurus, mosasaurus and giganotosaurus do not appear among other figures.

Mojo does not appear dunkleosteus, triceratops and tropeognathus.

The vinyl figures of ophtalmosaurus and ceratosaurus are missing.

I think there are many figures missing from 2019.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Shonisaurus

I understand and say it with all the respect and affection of the world that I should say top 10 best prehistoric animals models of 2019 instead of top 10 best dinosaur models of 2019. The elasmotherium, edaphosaurus, deinotherium, tropeoghnatus, pteranodon, dakosaurus, prestosuchus or mosasaurus For example, they are not dinosaurs, they are prehistoric animals in any case.

On the other hand, I would have liked to vote for more figures in the top 10 best dinosaur models of 2019 since you know little, there are many good figures that I have been unable to vote for.

Concavenator

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 04, 2019, 01:03:09 PM
I understand and say it with all the respect and affection of the world that I should say top 10 best prehistoric animals models of 2019 instead of top 10 best dinosaur models of 2019

Sorry, you're right, I have already fixed that  :P Thanks!

- - -

I have now added Mojo Fun, Favorite, Colorata, Recur, Kaiyodo, Mattel and Rebor to the list.
I know I said I wouldn't include Rebor because their models have a higher price, but it's also true that Papo has raised their prices too, so I added Rebor as well.The list is much more complete now, and again, I have reset all votes to 0 so anyone can vote again if the figures they would like to vote to were absent before. Sorry for the inconveniences  :-[

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 04, 2019, 07:54:09 AM
The PNSO spinosaurus, mosasaurus and giganotosaurus do not appear among other figures.
The vinyl figures of ophtalmosaurus and ceratosaurus are missing.

I won't be including the PNSO Museum Series because these very clearly are not in the same league as the rest of the models (based on price, they are considerably more expensive).If you guys want, you can create a thread for the "Best Models of 2019" referring to more expensive pieces like those from the PNSO Museum Series, Nanmu, Vitae...
This thread is about voting for the best figures from the major brands.

Thank you  C:-)

Faelrin

Missing most of the Mattel ones. JPToys has a nice list to reference from. Aside from the Brachiosaurus which is included thankfully, at the very least I'd like to vote for the Battle Damage Plesiosaurus, and Dual Attack Parasaurolophus (only because it's the first decent size film accurate one since Kenner's, which was released over 20 years ago, and one I was desperately wanting in addition to the Brachiosaurus, and Indominus rex). While I would like to vote for the Indominus rex because it's fantastic and it has been the proper film accurate one I've been wanting since 2015, it isn't a real animal, and that makes me think I should reserve my vote towards it for something else.

The rest of my votes would go to Safari and CollectA probably, although I do like more then what I can vote on from other brands that released this year.

Edit: Here's the JPToys list for the 2019 figures:

http://www.jptoys.com/index.php/2019/02/20/622-2019-s-line-full-checklist
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thank you. I have added them and reset the poll yet again.

suspsy

Are you're certain that you've added all the necessary toys this time? I've voted twice already and I'd prefer not to do so a third time if the poll is only going to be reset again.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Yeah, thanks for setting up the poll, but let's do this properly, no rush. We still have two months of 2019 left! It is frustrating for members to have to vote again and again as the options change.

Also, I'm moving the poll to the correct board... C:-)

DinoToyForum

Also, is there even a top 10 2018 poll yet, I can't find it?

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on November 04, 2019, 03:14:45 PM
Are you're certain that you've added all the necessary toys this time? I've voted twice already and I'd prefer not to do so a third time if the poll is only going to be reset again.

I'm not totally certain.If anyone points out any figure I'm missing, I'll try to add them and would probably have to restart the poll.However, there are 116 options and I think the list has if not all, the majority of the new releases by Safari, CollectA, Eofauna, PNSO, Papo, Schleich, Mojo, Mattel, Recur, Rebor, Favorite, Kaiyodo...So I don't think I'll be adding more.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 04, 2019, 03:46:33 PM
That's probably because that thread doesn't exist. I remember there was a video on YouTube by the DinoToyBlog channel, about the Top 10 Best Prehistoric Animal models of 2017, but not 2018.

Concavenator

I voted for all three of Eofauna's 2019 figures. I could write a huge paragraph talking about just how great each of these figures are individually ,but for the sake of brevity, I'll just summarize them as being as scientifically accurate as they can be, as having a subtle, yet very precise detailing, and overall, for their natural appearance and also, for their amazing poses, which is by far one of the best aspects of these models.They look really natural  with their poses, almost as if you were seeing the actual animal alive in its environment.

I also voted for Safari Ltd's Camarasaurus and Pteranodon. I know I have said before that some of the newer releases from Safari (concretely the ones that they are releasing due to the absence of the Carnegie Collection) are not better than their Carnegie predecesors.Carnegie had an outdated version so this new Safari one is very welcome, it looks very striking yet still looking natural and of course being very accurate. The Camarasaurus is interesting because it looks similar to the Carnegie one but improves it in every possible aspect.Very interesting and imposing pose also. Have to congratulate Doug here.

I also voted for CollectA's Carnotaurus, Edaphosaurus, and Baryonyx. What a fabulous year it has been from CollectA, let's hope 2020 is as good too. These 3 are my favorites. Particularly, I think they did an incredible job with the Edaphosaurus. It's as good as it could have been imo.

And lastly, I voted for PNSO's Ankylosaurus and Spinops. Gorgeous looking models, with a lot of personality too.Now if they corrected some inaccuracies that appear in some of their figures, like the Anky's tail, they would be just perfect.

For me, it's hard to imagine a better year for dinosaur collecting that what 2019 has been.There has been just a lot of stunning and really good models.I don't remember such a good year since 2015, but for me, 2019 has been the best year for dinosaur collecting ever.

Faelrin

I did see you missed adding the Mattel Battle Damage figures (including the Plesiosaurus), and maybe some others, but no big deal. I was probably the only one that would have voted for the Battle Damage Plesiosaurus anyways. Now my vote for it will just go for another Safari Ltd figure, which is fine.

My top 10 favorites that I'll vote for include the Safari Ltd Carnotaurus, Coelodonta/Woolly Rhino, Pteranodon, Stegosaurus, Styracosaurus, the CollectA Edaphosaurus, Papo Spinosaurus, Eofauna Giganotosaurus, and the Mattel Brachiosaurus, and Parasaurolophus. Edit: Some of these I don't actually have yet, but they are high on my wishlist, such as the Papo Spinosaurus.

Plenty of others I like though that I had to leave out, such as (most of which I don't have yet, exception being the Mattel ones):
Most of the rest of the new Safari Ltd models (Camarasaurus, Citipati, Prestosuchus, Spinosaurus), a few CollectA (Borealopelta, Carnotaurus, and Elasmotherium), the Colorata Mammal set, the Papo Pentaceratops, the Schleich Spinosaurus, and the Mattel (Mega Dual Attack) Amargasaurus, (Attack Pack) Coelurus, (Dual Attack) Nasutoceratops, (Battle Damage) Plesiosaurus (which again wasn't there), (Mega Dual Attack) Quetzalcoatlus, (Savage Strike) Styracosaurus, and the Indominus rex (which again I realize isn't a real creature and probably shouldn't be included in this poll, but still easily one of my favorite figures from this year).

I swear there was a poll for the 2018 figures, or at least a discussion thread for them. I can definitely recall discussing about them for a poll though. I'll have to dig through my post history to find it.

Edit: Nevermind. The poll I was thinking of/remembering was the Dromaeosaurid toy poll. I didn't see anything in my post history yet about a 2018 and searches didn't bring up anything yet either (from what I saw), so maybe there really hasn't been one yet. That'll be quite the doozy to make with all the Mattel releases though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 04, 2019, 03:46:33 PM

P @PumperKrickel volunteered for the task here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3067.msg230903#msg230903

I'm happy to help if you like, although I swore off running yearly top 10 polls myself.

Incidentally, the first post in the thread linked above has guidelines for running a poll which specify that solicitation of suggestions should precede opening the poll.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

I'm not generally super invested in these poles, but I'd be willing to run one. I'd expect the outcome to be better that way if anything because then someone who wanted to avoid extra effort would just add everything from that year for each brand regularly accepted, and not, for example, leave out most of the PNSO figures released in a given year because they hadn't been specifically requested as individuals.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: