News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Here's my positioning.

Syndicate Bias

Can someone cut the head and switch it with the PNSO Giga one? I'll pay good money for that crossover

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 13, 2019, 05:57:35 AM
Can someone cut the head and switch it with the PNSO Giga one? I'll pay good money for that crossover
How much. Im the man to do that job

Loon

I don't think all the cutting and repositioning in the world could save this thing. At that point, just buy the Eofauna.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on December 13, 2019, 06:02:58 AM
I don't think all the cutting and repositioning in the world could save this thing. At that point, just buy the Eofauna.
Honestly, Id buy safari over eofauna.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 13, 2019, 06:03:57 AM

Honestly, I'd buy the Mo Models one but who am I kidding I have all of the Gigas and I'll buy dupes if I want to. As much as it pains me I'll buy this one too. I do wonder how the head of this one would look on a standard pose like PNSO since that one is the closest to Papo like details.

Need a sample pic and if its a good job I'm serious about paying for it

Loon

Safari's a great figure, too. 1000 times better than the Papo. And probably, given what new Papo figures have been going for, half the price.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Loon on December 13, 2019, 06:20:36 AM

Safari's a great figure, too. 1000 times better than the Papo. And probably, given what new Papo figures have been going for, half the price.

Safari giganotosaurus is superior to the aforementioned model of Papo, sincerely his "retro" stance spoils the sculpture completely and I say it with all the respect in the world.

Duna

Safari's it's a very good figure, but Eofauna's is overall much better. Eofauna giga has a longer and more accurate tail sculpture, and the neck specially is much better sculpted. Just compare the detailed upper and lower part of the neck with the plain sculpture of Safari's. And the folds and wrinkles of the skin on the belly and under the tail and between the legs, Safari's is almost flat with little detail, compared to the great attention Eofauna has paid to that areas. And not even talking about the color ...   ::) and the fixed base ...  ::) Safari's is quite far away from that masterpiece that Eofauna's is.

And Papo's giga is galaxies away from Safari and Eofauna ... it's just like the inflatable humanoid t-rex costume. Sorry, Papo. The therizinosaurus was quite acceptable in that position, so is the Pentaceratops, but a giganotosaurus .... nope. Whenever I see the picture I rub my neck instintively.

Killekor

I'm surprised and happy to see that Papo is producing a Megaloceros figure!
From when I discovered that species I always wanted a figure of it although the only one I knew until now was the Simba predators one. The idea of a giant prehistoric deer for some reason fascinates me more than any mammoth or saber toothed cat.
So obviously this new model from Papo makes me joyful, also because I really like it a lot! The sculpting is superb, and if I don't like the paint scheme of the final model I can always repaint it. Anyways, i find it the best Papo 2020 figure and I'll certainly get one when it get released!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Shonisaurus

avatar_Killekor @Killekor Totally agree with you is for me the most beautiful figure of Papo the megaloceros of 2020. Honestly in my case I only had the representation in toy of Bullyland. Hopefully it is a bit larger than its Bullyland counterpart.

Duna

I'm very bad at Photoshop, but this is my rendition to Papo's giga, just to have a look at the nice colors. Just a longer tail, arms down and I would have been a fantastic giga. But not a giga from Papo, yes, we know ...

SidB

Quote from: Faelrin on December 13, 2019, 02:17:00 AM
Come to think of it this is like the fourth fifth figure in this pose, so it is starting to get stale too. The Cryolophosaurus, Therizinosaurus, and standing tiger all have a pose like this. Edit: Forgot about the Baryonyx which also has similar splayed arms as this appears to have. Perhaps the two of them could debate over who has the more controversial pose?

Honestly I feel like if the legs were rotated it would have a fresh pose (though might be top heavy) as it would be looking down, as if it were to eat something. I can probably pull something off in a little bit just out of curiosity of how it would look.

Edit: Excuse how rushed this was in Gimp, and the bare amount of effort, but hopefully this gets the idea of what I mean across:

Rushed or not, I like this far more than the absurd original.

Faelrin

I'm digging all these reposing folks are doing. The more I look at them if it really weren't the pose (and the altered proportions such as the short tail), this figure is not all that bad. It still has that good sculpt detail that is typical from Papo that is able to make it look like a living creature despite its anatomical issues.

Who knows maybe seeing the final figure might change my mind. But regardless there are still plenty of decent options out there for this genus I could go with if need be.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PrimevalRaptor

It's really a shame, I'm hoping it's maybe a case like with the Gorgosaurus or Baryonyx where the actual product looks better (The Baryonyx did grow a lot on me even if I'd still prefer a more natural pose) because the sculpt in itself is amazing, especially the head looks beautiful and I prefer that one over the Eofauna's (Mostly cause I wish the stripes were a bit more blended on it). But otherwise Eofauna blows it out of the water, I mean I like dynamic poses, but not impossible ones.

Looking at it again, it does kinda look like it got spooked by a mouse prehistoric mammal

Shonisaurus

Sincerely they could have taken a little more effort to make an attractive giganotosaurus for which we are Papo collectors, the figure is hyperrealistic, well sculpted but the position gives an image of dinosaur and human hybrid and I say it with all the respect that the sculptor deserves which for me has been one of the sculptors who have most excited me in recent times by Papo, although they have their own philosophy and artistic license they could have made a spectacular giganotosaurus if they had wanted me to have rivaled even with the Eofauna brand but Unfortunately, even the pose is much less fortunate than the initial giganotosaurus of the Schleich brand of the Humbold Museum in Berlin. Papo's sculptor has enough capacity and ability to have made a much better standing giganotosaurus, although we will also have to see the next promotional photographs and the animal marketed by Papo in physical stores or online. The truth is that today I saw a child leaving a grocery store near my work (when I went out for breakfast, in my case it is a walk) that I had bought Papo's cryolophosaurus and was supercontentísimo, with this I don't want to say anything but perhaps among the children and youth public it has much better acceptance than among the adult public to which the members of DTF belong.

Silvanusaurus

Just my own attempt at 'fixing' the Giganotosaurus.

oscars_dinos

I did an attempt too but how do you post pictures on this forum

Loon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 13, 2019, 11:20:12 PM
Just my own attempt at 'fixing' the Giganotosaurus.

The forgotten love child of an Abelisaur and Papo's Therizinosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: imnewhere on December 13, 2019, 11:26:57 PM
I did an attempt too but how do you post pictures on this forum
Is it in file explorer

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: