News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Who has the best Giganotosaurus

Started by Stegotyranno420, November 29, 2019, 06:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has the best Giganotosaurus (repaints and minis not included)

Pnso
Safari Ltd(Carnegie)
Schliech(new)
Schliech(old)
Geoworld
TipToi
Mojo
Schliech(Juvenile)
Vitae
Bullyland
Eofauna
Resaurus(Carnage)
Other(Comment)
Wild Safari
Papo
Mojo(2020)

stargatedalek

To be fair on the issue of... let's be honest almost everyone, reconstructing the pubic boot wrong; birds have theirs sticking out too, so while still incorrect there is at least more factors in play here than copy paste reconstructions.

Loon

Wow, I honestly did not know that about the pubic boot. I can't really blame Eofauna, because, as avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek said, literally everyone reconstructs it that way. Looking at my collection, I don't really see any figures that don't have it visible.

KeU

Awesome write-up by Leyster!
I agree on the square chin not translating well into figure form.
It is pretty subtle to begin with on the CAD model (At least it looks like a CAD model).

Leyster

Yes, I agree that the fact almost no one restore the pubic foot right is the reason this meme keeps spreading, but it's nice to see someone finally started correcting it. In paleoart you can see various restorations from the latest years that began the trend of a correct pubic boot, so I'm happy this finally showed in toys too. On this subject, avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  and avatar_Loon @Loon , I think you may find this post quite interesting https://theropoda.blogspot.com/2018/09/pollo-rosa-vs-pollo-giallo.html Anyway, in a certain way you're both right, I consider it a relatively lesser error, the main problem I have with Eofauna is the skull sharpe, if not for the skull and me already having the Vitae, I would have bought it.

avatar_KeU @KeU honestly I didn't check what software mr. Cheung Chung Tat used to sculpt his figure, I suppose you can ask him in the facebook page of Dinosoar studio or Vitae.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Mirroraptor

Vitae use Zbrush to sculpt the dinosaurs. In fact, few people today use CAD to make high-precision animal models. CAD is very powerful in architectural and mechanical design, but it is not a good sculpture software. Blender, Zbrush of something else is much popular.
Another point is that zbrush is actually very different from other 3D software. It is based on algorithms similar to 2D drawing to achieve modeling of three-dimensional space, so it is called 2.5D software. It was originally developed to aid 2D painting. the way of using Zbrush is easily accepted by the workers in the traditional painting and sculpture fields.

Duna

I think something happened with the Vitae giga sculpt that had finally made it not look as accurate as Eofauna's, not only about the chin. The 3D reconstruction looked good but it had remarkably enlarged legs: tibia, metatarsals, feet ... which at the end made the real figure (which has a more upright pose) look taller and compacted.

Eofauna, on the other hand, did represent perfectly the known parts of the skeleton as the tibia, so their model's legs are shorter, as Scott's reconstruction. The only main difference is Scott's version to the unknown part of the lower jaw, and for me, it's as good as valid his or Eofauna's, as they are not based in real material.

We should be on the moon that the most accurate giganotosaurus figure costs only 26€ without the need to pay 100$ for a nice resin sculpture. Which is really fantastic to make it affordable to most people.

Stegotyranno420

Well for me, its 28 dollars and 19 dollar shipping, so.....

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 24, 2019, 05:20:56 PM
Then just get the Safari, it's cheap and decently accurate. Or just save for an Eofauna.

Sim

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on December 24, 2019, 05:34:40 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 24, 2019, 05:20:56 PM
Then just get the Safari, it's cheap and decently accurate. Or just save for an Eofauna.
Thats what im doing.

Mirroraptor

An interesting fact is that in China, the price of Eofauna Giganotosaurus and Vitae Giganotosaurus is almost the same(RMB 200-300 Yan, about 30-40 USD). In Japan and European and American markets, Vitae is much more expensive. The same thing happened with other Chinese figures manufacturers such as PNSO, Nanmu Studio and W-Dragon, the price of their products in China is only as same as Eofauna and Rebor, but the prices in overseas markets are much more expensive, even comparable to some statues.
Vitae's deformation in the production process seems to be a common thing for Zbrush modeling: When changing the posture of animals, Zbrush does not consider the deformation of various parts of the animal body, but simply twists. This way of working makes it easy for people to make wrong judgments about their body proportions. Another example is W-Dragon's Tyrannosaurus rex. Many people think that its legs are too large, but in the original modeling, its body proportion is correct. For artists using zbrush, they need to spend more time continuously improving the animal's body proportions after adjusting the posture (for zbrush workers, their work foundation is often symmetrical, basic modeling of standard standing posture to take advantage of Zbrush's symmetrical sculpting capabilities). But many people don't do this, they just posing their model and do nothing with it.

Duna

SidB

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 29, 2019, 07:50:50 PM
Maybe Papo will  ;)
Well, the Papo is now part of "history." Crash and burn. The Eofauna reigns, on merit. But I'm surprised at how few appreciate the PNSO.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on February 11, 2020, 12:41:37 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 29, 2019, 07:50:50 PM
Maybe Papo will  ;)
Well, the Papo is now part of "history." Crash and burn. The Eofauna reigns, on merit. But I'm surprised at how few appreciate the PNSO.

It's hard to appreciate what you don't have.  I started compiling Giga models for references and found it's price on Amazon at 90.00+ right now. I guess I should have moved on it sooner.

Brocc21

Eofauna and Safari actually pair well together. Though Eofauna stands out as the best. It's just nice to look at.

And while on this topic. Is there a figure of or at least could be pulled of as a juvenile or hatchling Gigantosaurus?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Brocc21 on February 13, 2020, 12:22:08 AM
Eofauna and Safari actually pair well together. Though Eofauna stands out as the best. It's just nice to look at.

And while on this topic. Is there a figure of or at least could be pulled of as a juvenile or hatchling Gigantosaurus?

Haven't found any that could work as a juvenile. Thought about commissioning a couple for a project.

Sim

avatar_Brocc21 @Brocc21 avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Schleich makes a juvenile Giganotosaurus which is one of their better figures.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Sim @Sim True, Schleich juvenile giganotosaurus is a great figure. If I wanted Schleich as I have repeated many times I could make a giganotosaurus much better than other brands. Schleich has economic resources to spare and artistic potential so that they can make figures as beautiful and bright as their psittacosaurus, dracorex, triceratops, adult and juvenile tyrannosaurus, diabloceratops, dinogorgon, oviraptor and baryonyx of Schleich this year and especially the beautiful spinosaurus of Schleich, an example that the Schleich brand should take into account.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 13, 2020, 04:02:52 PM
avatar_Sim @Sim True, Schleich juvenile giganotosaurus is a great figure. If I wanted Schleich as I have repeated many times I could make a giganotosaurus much better than other brands. Schleich has economic resources to spare and artistic potential so that they can make figures as beautiful and bright as their psittacosaurus, dracorex, triceratops, adult and juvenile tyrannosaurus, diabloceratops, dinogorgon, oviraptor and baryonyx of Schleich this year and especially the beautiful spinosaurus of Schleich, an example that the Schleich brand should take into account.
Wait, you sculpt. Wow

Takama

Quote from: Stegotyranno on February 14, 2020, 01:04:06 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 13, 2020, 04:02:52 PM
Wait, you sculpt. Wow

English is not his first language.  I think that he is trying to make a statment that Schleich has the resoureces to make a Better giganotosaurus, then then there competitors, but they dont, because they tend to have sculptors who range from Experts who know what a dinosaur looks like,  to downright monster makers, who use google for a majority of there reserch. (The current adult giganotosaurus that is being sold from them falls under the latter catagory)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: