News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I have some doubt either piece is MPC either...although the bird figure is closer than the parasaur......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

BlueKrono

The are definitely not true Marx or MPC. Knockoffs of some kind, though I've never seen these specific ones before. The MPC Diatryma has rubbing feathers, not the odd bumps on this one. Pose is the same though.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 20, 2017, 01:28:41 PM
The are definitely not true Marx or MPC. Knockoffs of some kind, though I've never seen these specific ones before. The MPC Diatryma has rubbing feathers, not the odd bumps on this one. Pose is the same though.
The legs on the parasaur are reversed in position for the MPC....etc. There are subtle differences which make me agree both pieces are knock offs at a glance passing for the original.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

UK

They are copies of some sort but both larger and different textures to both Marx and MPC. Excellent figures from Japan though and they have an old school charm about them.

Thanks for speculating too. Btw the black stegosaurus is a Timpo. It's a shame there are no identifying marks on these figures as it would be great to pin down their origin down.

Halichoeres

Does anyone recognize this lizard-y thing? Thanks in advance!

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

docronnie

Finally, I was able to find out what this is:

Tsukuda Jurassic Park Small Velociraptor  - 1993 

It has lost its base and maybe it was used in a diorama.  I just found this inside my bag of goodies way back when.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Bertensgrad

Does anyone know any good web or forumn based references for Iding small plastic animals from the 50's-60's. I found a bunch of soft rubber like plastic farm and north american animals. I think they could be marx but im not sure. They are highly detailed and the color material says most likely 1950's. Some are on bases ad then some slightly larger ones are present without bases and hollow insides.

I just picked them out of a bin loose at a goodwill outlet so I cant be sure they all are from the same brand but most likely the same donater. It was a fun treasure hunt going through piles of stuff trying to find them all. They were spread across 3 3'x10' wheeling trays.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Bertensgrad on June 01, 2017, 06:09:48 PM
Does anyone know any good web or forumn based references for Iding small plastic animals from the 50's-60's. I found a bunch of soft rubber like plastic farm and north american animals. I think they could be marx but im not sure. They are highly detailed and the color material says most likely 1950's. Some are on bases ad then some slightly larger ones are present without bases and hollow insides.

I just picked them out of a bin loose at a goodwill outlet so I cant be sure they all are from the same brand but most likely the same donater. It was a fun treasure hunt going through piles of stuff trying to find them all. They were spread across 3 3'x10' wheeling trays.

Never heard of Iding before. If there are any other markings on the underside that can help in an ID. If they aren't extinct animals I would ask over at the animal toy forum. They are probably more familiar with extant animal figures than the folks here (though there is of course some overlap).
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stoneage

Quote from: BlueKrono on June 01, 2017, 07:05:49 PM
Quote from: Bertensgrad on June 01, 2017, 06:09:48 PM

Never heard of Iding before. If there are any other markings on the underside that can help in an ID. If they aren't extinct animals I would ask over at the animal toy forum. They are probably more familiar with extant animal figures than the folks here (though there is of course some overlap).

It would help a lot if you could post a picture!

Nanuqsaurus

Question from a Reddit user! What dinosaur (or other prehistoric creature) could this be? My best bet is Postosuchus, but maybe someone has a better guess? :)

AcroSauroTaurus

It was probably meant to be Postosuchus, but with Posto's recent bipedalism, I'd say Saurosuchus.
I am the Dinosaur King!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on June 02, 2017, 07:55:33 PM
Question from a Reddit user! What dinosaur (or other prehistoric creature) could this be? My best bet is Postosuchus, but maybe someone has a better guess? :)

Lontic Postosuchus' knockoff
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SmilingCyclops/media/20151004_101650.jpg.html

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/lontic.html

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 03, 2017, 07:48:21 AM

Thank you! :D

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on June 03, 2017, 12:59:46 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 03, 2017, 07:48:21 AM

Thank you! :D

My figures for comparison.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

BlueKrono

What is this strange beast?? Looks like a penguin with monkey arms dressed in a pteranodon costume.

Roselaar

Don't know the brand, but it looks like a crucified batwinged Pteranodon...

sauroid

looks like Rodan's freaky stillborn baby
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Bertensgrad

Vintage looking dino any help?

BrontoScorpio

I stumbled across some interesting figures, but they do remind me something I have seen -
so, I wish to ask if these are repaints of some known toy figures, Thanks  :

Faelrin

The "raptor" seems strangely similar to Rebor's Utahraptor "Wind Hunter", but otherwise I'm not sure. They sure do look nice though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: