You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It is a major improvement, a beautiful piece.

But it's funny in that I have never desired to buy the CollectA Dunkleosteus anyway, the Favorite Co was the first Dunkleosteus I got, pity about the colour. But I don't think I'll be sending figures out to be commissioned right now.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

The contrast between the dermal armor and the rest of the skin is my biggest beef with the Favorite figure. This new paint job rectifies that nicely. Beautiful work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

That repaint of the Favorite Dunkleosteus turned out amazing. Really does the sculpt justice in comparison to the original coloration (not that it's bad, but it doesn't look too particularly natural either for such a large animal).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 05, 2021, 06:25:21 AM
I'm quite captivated by the fade work on the tail and the inside of the mouth. You've got a beautiful piece here.

Yeah, the paint work is just something. That fade is probably the nicest looking thing on any of my figures.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 05, 2021, 08:17:44 AM
It is a major improvement, a beautiful piece.

But it's funny in that I have never desired to buy the CollectA Dunkleosteus anyway, the Favorite Co was the first Dunkleosteus I got, pity about the colour. But I don't think I'll be sending figures out to be commissioned right now.

I don't think the original color is terrible. It definitely works here more than their similarly colored Archelon. Also, yeah, definitely far better than CollectA's.

Quote from: Faelrin on February 05, 2021, 05:57:27 PM
That repaint of the Favorite Dunkleosteus turned out amazing. Really does the sculpt justice in comparison to the original coloration (not that it's bad, but it doesn't look too particularly natural either for such a large animal).

You're right, the original isn't so bad, honestly. But it's just a bit simplistic for such a big creature.

KeU

Bread

I don't know how I missed this, but that Dunkleosteus looks amazing! The repaint just makes that figure stand out so much more. Congratulations on the figure and repaint Loon. Another fantastic piece by paintingdinos!

Loon

Thanks everyone, the next custom will be posted tomorrow...or Friday, we'll see how school goes.

Loon

"Mother! Mother!"

*Gasp*

"Your mother can't be with you anymore."

Finally, the third recent custom from avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos, the Papo Megloceros

Credit: Papo
I was incredibly excited by Papo's 2020 Megaloceros figure, which honestly shocked me. I am not a huge Papo fan; but, credit's due where credit's due, this one looked really good. I really only had one issue with it, the colors.

Credit: Les Grottes de Cougnac
Now, I understand there are several takes on the Cougnac cave art of Megaloceros giganteus, but, for this custom, I asked avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos to base the repaint on the look put forward in Darren Naish's article, "The Life Appearance of the Giant Deer Megaloceros" from the Tetrapod Zoology blog.

This piece by Mark Witton was one of the main references I sent paintingdinos, as I think it does a really good job at showing the types of colors and patterns that some researchers think are plausible.

Credit: Mark Witton

But, before I show you the finished product, I have to once again give massive thanks to avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos. I was definitely very nitpicky when it came to all the details on this one, so I really appreciate her putting up with it. So, without further ado, I present the Great Prince!!!:

And yes, there is something different from the original release.

The cave art doesn't just show back humps and side stripes, there appears to be a penis sheath, like that of the closely related Fallow Deer. I'm a freaking weirdo who likes my animals to be as accurate as possible, and, baring this being an individual who had some horrid accident, I had to have this extra bit added. Luckily, avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos is very kind, and she sculpted a new part for him.

Here's the handsome devil next to some adjacent characters:

Seriously, this thing is so dang pretty I can't handle it. It literally puts almost all of my other figures to shame. Papo's original sculpt is pretty ok, but it does suffer a bit from the same soft look as their cave bear, but avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos' paint scheme took this from what would have been a favorite figure of 2020, to one of my new all-time favorite figures in my collection. She made this look like something out of a painting, heck, it's nicer than some pieces I've seen in museums.  So, for probably the fifteenth time in this post, I have to give her so many thanks.

Halichoeres

Another winner. The attention to detail is admirable!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Duna

I ordered that figure with the same intentions to repaint it just like that of the webpage, but I think now I will have put my goal too high!  ;D
Congrats, it's lovely.

Faelrin

That Megaloceros turned out superb. Also can't blame you about the sheathe and wanting that depicted accurately based on what we know. If Safari Ltd and/or CollectA where to depict a male in the future I would hope they get that right, coloration aside.

Also I'm really glad to see it alongside both the Safari Woolly Rhino (which I have), and Elasmotherium (don't have yet). Curious, but which of the two there does this one scale better alongside?

Loon

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Quote from: Faelrin on February 13, 2021, 02:31:00 PM
That Megaloceros turned out superb. Also can't blame you about the sheathe and wanting that depicted accurately based on what we know. If Safari Ltd and/or CollectA where to depict a male in the future I would hope they get that right, coloration aside.

Also I'm really glad to see it alongside both the Safari Woolly Rhino (which I have), and Elasmotherium (don't have yet). Curious, but which of the two there does this one scale better alongside?

Thanks, also, yes, hopefully those companies do that. I'd argue it's as important, and definitely less speculative, than the colors.

As for the rhinos, and I'm just eyeballing it right now, I'm guessing the Elasmotherium is probably closer to scale with the Megaloceros. I think they're both roughly 1:20, but I haven't measured them yet. I think the coelodonta is probably closer to 1:25 to 1:30.

Callophrys

That Megaloceros looks fantastic! What a superb repaint by paintingdinos!

Loon

Thanks to avatar_brettnj @brettnj, I now have one of the few figures I would ever comfortably call a "holy grail," Kaiyodo's Australopithecus afarensis, aka Lucy. Now, I call it a holy grail for two reasons: one, it's incredibly hard to find and expensive (of course Brett had the best price around), and two, extinct hominids are so rare as figures and even more rarely do they ever look all that nice. Safari's set, as well as CollectA's and Papo's Neanderthals, are to primates what Schleich's Acrocanthosaurus is to dinosaurs. Ok, maybe that's a bit much, but still. The only ones that really escape what I call the "engoofening" are the Bullyland figures, which still are a bit cartoony for my tastes.   

With Papo's hippo (not to scale)

To give a more universal size comparison, she scales pretty well with Safari's 2020 Deinonychus; they're both about 1:14. Though, my scale calculations are notoriously poor.

And finally, I just had to.

I know the Eofauna figure represents D. giganteum and not D. bozasi, but...

Overall, this Lucy figure is really nicely done. She's not cartoonish and has, as 98% of dinosaur toy facebook group posters would say, "good detail." Since I have started to make a more conscious effort to record the artists behind my figures, if anyone knows the identity of the sculptor, I'd appreciate the info.

Oh god. Loon's going to talk about anatomical accuracy again...

Yes, one of the things I most appreciate about this figure is that they didn't attempt to make this figure a "PG" depiction of an Australopithecus female. But, Lucy and I both understand that this forum does have quite a few younger members, some of whom may be shocked by this imagery; so, in the name of good taste, she has quickly gotten dressed to avoid further offense.

"There we go, much b... Wait a minute. Lucy, what are you wearing? Also, what do you keep pointing at?"

"Ohhhh. Who would've thought? Lucy was actually the first horse girl!"

I meant to share this a few weeks ago (when I actually got it), but, of course, I've been too lazy to share it. Hey, Women's History Month starts in a couple of days, so let's just pretend that this was what I planned all along.

See? Some fellow female hominids, so it counts. Though, I understand that researchers are still debating the phylogenetic position of gnomes.

Faelrin

Congrats on getting your hands on this one. It is a real shame there aren't more realistic attempts at ancient/prehistoric hominids out there. This one looks most excellent. That tiny shirt looks great on her too.

Stegotyranno420

Thanks for considering some of us younger members into this. I really appreciate it.
While recently I have noticed more tolerance in myself, there are still other younger members.

WHile I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of imagery, I actually don't have too much of a problem when its with animals compared to when its with humans.

Also, I love the pose of this figure. In the photo with the hippo, it looks like if she is saying "Sir, you must clean your teeth more often" or if she is working at the DMV and she said "M'am, please go to the line nearby and we will take your driver license photo". So funny

Overall, nice find. I like kaiyodo figures if they are of small animals like apes and dromaeosaurs, as they usually will fit in my scale

postsaurischian

Quote from: Loon on February 28, 2021, 03:35:56 AM
Since I have started to make a more conscious effort to record the artists behind my figures, if anyone knows the identity of the sculptor, I'd appreciate the info.

Great figure! Lucy was sculpted by Ataru Sugaya ;) .

Halichoeres

That was a very entertaining look at Lucy. Her shirt is the absolute height of fashion.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's a lovely figure, congrats on your rare aquisition. I also enjoyed your write-up. It's strange there are no way to find semi decent figures of Australopithecus
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

Quote from: Faelrin on February 28, 2021, 04:57:03 AM
Congrats on getting your hands on this one. It is a real shame there aren't more realistic attempts at ancient/prehistoric hominids out there. This one looks most excellent. That tiny shirt looks great on her too.

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 28, 2021, 03:45:13 PM
That was a very entertaining look at Lucy. Her shirt is the absolute height of fashion.

Thank you, thank you, though the shirt was mostly my brother's work (I can't sew to save my life). The only thing I contributed was the vaguely horse-like silhouette.

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 28, 2021, 09:38:41 AM
Great figure! Lucy was sculpted by Ataru Sugaya ;) .

Thanks, I appreciate the info. It's always great to know who's behind these figures.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 28, 2021, 05:23:29 PM
That's a lovely figure, congrats on your rare aquisition. I also enjoyed your write-up. It's strange there are no way to find semi decent figures of Australopithecus

Thanks, and yeah, it's so weird that there aren't more options out there for extinct hominids. I can only think it's due to them not being as "exciting" as dinosaurs or even larger mammals.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 28, 2021, 06:17:17 AM
Thanks for considering some of us younger members into this. I really appreciate it.
While recently I have noticed more tolerance in myself, there are still other younger members.

WHile I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of imagery, I actually don't have too much of a problem when its with animals compared to when its with humans.

Also, I love the pose of this figure. In the photo with the hippo, it looks like if she is saying "Sir, you must clean your teeth more often" or if she is working at the DMV and she said "M'am, please go to the line nearby and we will take your driver license photo". So funny

Overall, nice find. I like kaiyodo figures if they are of small animals like apes and dromaeosaurs, as they usually will fit in my scale

Thanks for the compliment, I also find Kaiyodo figures are definitely great to use for smaller species. I used to buy a ton of them, but these days, I mostly limit them to obscure species that aren't too small to fit in with my displays. I do have to be completely honest and say that self-censorship wasn't what I had in mind with the shirt. I just thought it would be funny for her to were the shirt, ala the stereotypical horse girl. No shade at horse girls, I have quite a bit of respect for their hobby. It would also be a pretty poor attempt at covering up, tbh; as her breasts are visible for all but two pictures, most of which are before the shirt ones. So, that was really more of a way to explain the shirt, but hey, if you appreciate it in that way, go ahead.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: