You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon You have a clean, organized and well presented collection. You are a role model among those of us who are DTF members. My congratulations for all these little "works of art"

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I love your displays. Beautifully done
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ezikot

Being repetitive here, but I have to see again that I love the display and, as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin said, it "really helps with planning things out".

(I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems)

Halichoeres

Great displays, of course. Always nice to see paintingdinos's repaints again.

Wishing you the best with the management of your health.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Thanks for all the comments and kind words you guys. Sorry that I haven't updated this in a bit, but, well, turns out I do have type 2. So, hopefully you'll understand when I say that I haven't been too interested in anything lately. Oh well, I needed to diet.

Still, I'm happy everyone likes these posts, so wanted to finish them. Without anymore delay, here's the last display update (there are some non-dead things here, sorry)

Mattel Jurassic World Shelves

Mesozoic Aquatic Life/Other Bookcase

My bootleg Sideshow Collectibles Toothless

Triassic and Jurassic marine life

Cretaceous marine animals, featuring the Western Interior Seaway

The now-shrunken Protoceratops collection

Modern Aquatic Life Shelf

Modern Terrestrial Animal Shelf

This one's grown quite a bit since you last saw it. I've become more interested in modern animal figures as of late, so it was inevitable that the then-current shelving setup would need to change to accommodate that.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Now, some close-ups:

Eocarcharia

Very nice displays, both extinct and extant. I like how the cryptids are lurking in the shadows behind the TV. Also, on first glance, I thought that the whale shark in the first photo was some kind of security camera.

stoneage

I like the way you've set things up so that the individual models can be seen.  What did you use to suspend your marine life?  Also what are you using for your stair steps?

Kapitaenosavrvs

So... It already is Loon's Collection Room I :D

Lovely. I really really like your extant marine Life Shelf. Looks phenomenal. You picked the right Versions of the Animals in Figureform. They all look well picked. I really have to buy the CollectA Minke whale someday. It looks so elegant and good. Also, the Basking Shark looks great. But i really do not want to start on extant marine life collection, too. Ohno. Where. How. :D

Also, is that a Mako left of the Tiger? It looks really dynamic and i want it, too. :-D

EDIT: Oof, i must have overread the news on top. I wish you the Best. Changing basal Stuff in Life is quite hard and takes time. I know how it feels to change everything in life, and it is possible.

Dusty Wren

Sorry to hear about your health issues, Loon. Hope things get better for you.

Love both of your extant animals shelves. The way they're lit, and the way you've spaced the figures out, really lets you appreciate the details in each individual animal.

Which company makes the pangolin you can see in the last two photos?
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

Sorry to hear about the Type 2.

I think the your modern aquatic display is marvellously done.

Wallnut

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 13, 2021, 07:24:26 PM

Also, is that a Mako left of the Tiger? It looks really dynamic and i want it, too. :-D

That mako shark is the collecta mako shark and the tiger shark is the safari ltd mba(monterey bay aquarium) version.

Jose S.M.

Great display of extant animals. I wish I could collect extants also but due space and shipping costs I had to choose between them and prehistoric fauna.

Bokisaurus

Wow, what a great and extensive display!

Halichoeres

Phenomenal. The "mission creep" into extant animals (especially ungulates) is why I've steadfastly denied myself a Cenozoic collection. Yours looks great, though!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Sorry to hear you have to deal with being diabetic. My mother is, so I have some familiarity around what a person has to go through with it.

In regards to the images of your collection, I absolutely love how your Jurassic stuff is setup, and your modern fauna collection looks like something right out of a museum. Very impressive.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Quote from: Eocarcharia on April 13, 2021, 06:07:04 PM
Very nice displays, both extinct and extant. I like how the cryptids are lurking in the shadows behind the TV. Also, on first glance, I thought that the whale shark in the first photo was some kind of security camera.

Ha, thank you. I had thought about hiding the cryptids among the extant shelves, but, I figured that would only take away from them.

Quote from: stoneage on April 13, 2021, 06:20:29 PM
I like the way you've set things up so that the individual models can be seen.  What did you use to suspend your marine life?  Also what are you using for your stair steps?

Thank you, I really don't like it when my figures are all squished together. I had actually worried that the extant aquatic shelf suffered from that, but it's nice to see that I'm the only one who thought that.

To hold up the marine animals, I use this transparent wire, Beadalon Supplemax. That's threaded through what are called "heat shrink ring terminals," which are then screwed into the ceiling or shelf.

The "staircases" are from target, I usually buy them online since they are pretty hard to find in good numbers at their stores. They're plastic bathroom trays from Made by Design. I use the small, medium, and large ones throughout my displays; though, the extant shelves primarily use a ton of the small-sized ones.

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 13, 2021, 07:24:26 PM
So... It already is Loon's Collection Room I :D

Lovely. I really really like your extant marine Life Shelf. Looks phenomenal. You picked the right Versions of the Animals in Figureform. They all look well picked. I really have to buy the CollectA Minke whale someday. It looks so elegant and good. Also, the Basking Shark looks great. But i really do not want to start on extant marine life collection, too. Ohno. Where. How. :D

EDIT: Oof, i must have overread the news on top. I wish you the Best. Changing basal Stuff in Life is quite hard and takes time. I know how it feels to change everything in life, and it is possible.

No worries about anything, and thank you for the kind words in both regards.

The shark in question is the Shortfin Mako Shark by CollectA. It's really a fantastic figure, probably one of my favorite shark figures.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on April 14, 2021, 01:01:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your health issues, Loon. Hope things get better for you.

Love both of your extant animals shelves. The way they're lit, and the way you've spaced the figures out, really lets you appreciate the details in each individual animal.

Which company makes the pangolin you can see in the last two photos?

Thank you. I'm definitely trying to start living healthier, guess this was a good wake-up call if anything else.

The pangolin is the Indian Pangolin by Mojö Fun. That's probably the nicest standard-sized pangolin out there.

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 14, 2021, 01:11:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the Type 2.

I think the your modern aquatic display is marvellously done.

Thank you so much. It was a lot of work, though, to be completely honest, most of the hard stuff was done by my dad (I would probably end up with a nail in my foot if left alone with tools).

Quote from: Jose S.M. on April 14, 2021, 05:31:50 PM
Great display of extant animals. I wish I could collect extants also but due space and shipping costs I had to choose between them and prehistoric fauna.

I 100% understand that. I was like that for a while, but, obviously, things changed.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 14, 2021, 06:02:10 PM
Wow, what a great and extensive display!

Thanks!

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 14, 2021, 07:17:06 PM
Phenomenal. The "mission creep" into extant animals (especially ungulates) is why I've steadfastly denied myself a Cenozoic collection. Yours looks great, though!

Thank you. Yeah, they can become an obsession in a way completely different from extinct life. Unlike dinosaurs and such, where I can easily just pick one based on what I see is accurate and what aesthetic qualities I look for, it's pretty hard to mess up say a chimp, so I have ended up with quite a few multiples. Add onto that the increased diversity of species available, and even diversity amongst those species (sex, pose, etc.), it becomes far easier to get sucked into having more than one of each species on display.

Quote from: Faelrin on April 14, 2021, 10:00:33 PM
Sorry to hear you have to deal with being diabetic. My mother is, so I have some familiarity around what a person has to go through with it.

In regards to the images of your collection, I absolutely love how your Jurassic stuff is setup, and your modern fauna collection looks like something right out of a museum. Very impressive.

Thank you. Like you, my mom also has had type 2, and so does my grandmother, and her mother also had it. So, I have been familiar with it my entire life basically. It's definitely a far better situation than being alone, in that sense. It's helped me understand what to do and how to maintain a healthy sugar level.

As for the Jurassic setup, I'm really happy you like it. I have to say, I'm really proud of it. Though, of course, right when I finally do what I want with it, Mattel goes and makes another big thing I'll have to find space for on the shelf.

Shonisaurus

Magnificent collection of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. I know I have missed a lot since I last visited your website. Sincerely diabetes is annoying, I regret that you have to deal with diabetes, but on the other hand there are many messages of hope regarding this pathology, honestly, between having diabetes to have osteoarthritis like me is honestly a mere blessing, in my case the pain they are continuous in all joints.

Leaving that theme as always your beautiful shelves well ordered clean and magnificently presented. I have repeated it many times but I will not tire of repeating it as many times as possible. Magnificent collection you can be very proud of it. I'm so happy for you. Your collection of non-extinct animals, that is to say current ones, is also very complete and very good. It's nice to see such clean and well-classified collections.

Concavenator

Very nice collection, I specially like how tidy it is and how the shelves aren't crowded and there's a good amount of space between the figures.

BTW, I would like to ask you, doesn't it bug you to have all the figures exposed without any sort of protection, like inside a cabinet/showcase?  :P I also have my collection just like you, I just have the figures there on the shelves, not inside a cabinet or anything, but lately and all of a sudden, it's been bugging me a lot to see them exposed like that. Mainly because the figures get dust (as well as the shelves do!), and it's an absolute pain to clean them all individually, so I limit myself to do that once a month or thereabouts (I'll shamelessly admit I have never cleaned my figures in years but realized that it is important to do that this year... ;D ). Do you have any tips on how to get the shelves and figures clean? Or how do you clean them?

Wallnut

I want to know three figures
1.The figure that is on the left of the tortoise?
2.The asian elephant next to the pangolin?
3.The gazelle like animal thats on the left of the baby panda?

Loon

Hi everyone,

It's been sometime since my last real post; honestly, I haven't been all that active online for some time. After getting mentioned a few times recently, I figured I'd stop by and check in. This is going to be another collection post, but it's been some time since the last one and there have been some considerable updates to my menagerie, so I wanted to share. Also, I'm just massively egocentric.

First, I'll start with the display that I'm most proud of, my marine life shelves.

The very roughly to scale "Cetacean Parade."

For now, this is a "whatever" shelf. Currently, it's a bit of a Christmas/whatever I don't have space elsewhere for display.

The first small bookcase, containing my Toothless statue, my Protoceratops and Hyena collection, and my Mesozoic (Jurassic and Cretaceous) marine life shelf.

My Mattel Jurassic World figures.

My main two bookcases, containing the vast majority of my prehistoric figures.

First, the Paleozoic era.

Now, the beginning of the Mesozoic, the Triassic.

Jurassic North America, Europe, and Asia.

Jurassic North America (Morrison Formation).

Early Cretaceous Asia and North America.

Cretaceous Europe, South/Central America, Africa, and Australia.

Cretaceous South America, North America, Africa, China, and Australia.

Late Cretaceous Canada (Dinosaur Park Formation and such).

Late Cretaceous China, Mongolia, and South America.

The end of the non-avian dinosaurs, late Cretaceous North America (mostly Hell Creek Formation).

My second small bookshelf, the top of which features some misc. figures, including miniature representations of my pets.

This bookcase contains my extinct species from the Cenozoic, starting with the Paleogene.

The Neogene.

The Quaternary.

Finally, the most packed set of shelves, the modern wildlife display.

As a slight aside, here's something I'm so proud to finally have in my collection, my holy grail, the goddess that is the Safari Ltd. Opossum.

I'm sure you're tired of this display, I certainly show it enough. But, oh well. Anyway, thanks for looking!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: