You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Times magazine Award for Best Figure of 2020?

Started by Concavenator, February 03, 2020, 04:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Just like last year, and until the winner is announced by the magazine sometime early next year, in this thread you can post your guesses as to what figure do you think will win this prize.

Last year, the figures I thought would win the prize were:

Safari Camarasaurus
Safari Pteranodon
Safari Allosaurus
CollectA Elasmotherium
CollectA Edaphosaurus

And turns out I predicted it for the Camarasaurus and the Edaphosaurus.

For the 2020 award, I think the winners will be among these:

Dinosaurs:

Safari Edmontosaurus
Safari Deinonychus
Safari Pachycephalosaurus
CollectA Bajadasaurus
CollectA Protoceratops

Non-dinosaur prehistoric animals:

Safari Ichthyosaurus
CollectA Lisowicia

Of course, we don't know what other figures will be released in 2020, counting Eofauna and PNSO of course, but, for the moment, what are the strongest candidates in your opinion?

SidB

For the non-dinosaur prehistoric animals, I'd add Papo's Megaloceros, with it's striking presence. Hopefully its production paint scheme doesn't stray too far from the prototype.

Shonisaurus

S @SidB It is the bad thing about Papo that the prototype is many times superior to his real figure. For example last year's Papo allosaurus prototype was superior to the real allosaurus repainted figure for example.

We hope that the megaloceros that is marketed have a quality in terms of its painting at least equal to or greater than the Papo spinosaurus limited version of the year 2019, that is to say that its painting is careful and detailed like that of its prototype although I have to affirm that I really liked the spinosaurus limited version of Papo 2019 in relation to its prototype in its paint version was its painting much better than its real commercialized version, without stopping to say that it is one of the best dinosaur figures of the year 2019 according to my personal opinion.

Halichoeres

I couldn't possibly guess without knowing what's in the wings for PNSO, EoFauna, or Kaiyodo
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

austrosaurus

As long as the Papo Giganotosaurus doesn't win I'll be happy.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: austrosaurus on February 10, 2020, 10:56:07 AM
As long as the Papo Giganotosaurus doesn't win I'll be happy.

He will not win, surely, but unfortunately Papo could have made a giganotosaurus that competed in genius to the figures that the members of DTF are mentioning in this thread.

A golden opportunity unfortunately wasted by a leading toy dinosaur brand in the world. We all lose the Papo brand first and then the collectors as is my case, who expected a spectacular giganotosaurus for the Papo brand as has been their limited model spinosaurus of December 2019.  :-\

SidB

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 08, 2020, 06:22:21 PM
I couldn't possibly guess without knowing what's in the wings for PNSO, EoFauna, or Kaiyodo

I don't think knowing what releases they have planned would make any difference. PNSO, afaik, has been around since 2016 or thereabouts, and Eofauna since 2017. And Kaiyodo for even longer. And any of them has ever won this award. So I don't see why would it be different for 2020. I'm confident the winner for this award will be one of the already revealed figures from either Safari or CollectA, and based on recent history, I'd say Safari is more likely to win.

I already posted which, I think, are the best candidates, but if I was asked which one from the list has more possibilities I'd say the Edmontosaurus. Which I wouldn't really agree with. Sure, it's a beautiful and good figure, and the discovery of the hooves took place after the figure was revealed but... the others from the Safari lineup are very accurate (more so than the Edmonto now) as well, so choosing one of the others would be more sensible imo.

However, we all know the winner will be the gorgeous Papo Giga, and possibly the "Chilesaurus"  will win the prize for best alien figure of 2020.

Crackington

Hi everyone, just received Prehistoric Times 136 in the post and, drum roll at the ready, can announce the 2020 winners:

Best Dinosaur Figure - Safari Deinonychus (congrats to Doug Watson)

Best non-dinosaur prehistoric animal - Collecta Lisowicia

Best prehistoric animal model - Black Heart Models Micro Mania dinosaurs sculpted by Shane Foulkes

Best prehistoric animals book - On the Prowl: In search of Big Cat Origins Mark Hallett and John M Harris

Best prehistoric animal discovery - Frozen Cave Bear mother and cub from Russia

suspsy

Safari Deinonychus and CollectA Lisowicia fully deserve to win!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

I strongly agree with you in nominating the best figures for those dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals. But with respect to the Collecta protoceratops there are honestly other dinosaurs from my point of view much better than that protoceratops like the saltriovenator to give an example from my humble point of view.

I sincerely like the Collecta protoceratops very much, it is a great figure and one of the few that I have from Collecta 2020 due to the pandemic situation but honestly for me it is not the definitive proteratops, I hope that other figures make more copies like that that surpass it in genius. It is a beautiful figure but without a doubt, that articulated jaw in which, unfortunately, in this case the seams are very noticeable and that feathered tail that in this case does not fit well on that crest-like thing that fortunately does not affect him. its counterpart styracosaurus from Collecta. The aforementioned is very well sculpted but there are aesthetic details such as those mentioned that could have been improved.

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I fully agree. The Deinonychus is something I've waited so many years to see done. It's like an Emily Willoughby painting, but in 3D form.

The Lisowicia is a beautiful figure of not only a newly discovered genus but of a dicynodont which are so unfortunately neglected in the toy market despite their relative success in the Permian through the Triassic. It's also from the Triassic period which is the most neglected period of the Mesozoic as far as toys go, so a welcome addition in that regard as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Congratulations to all the winners.  I'm very pleased in particular that the Lisowicia won its category.

Concavenator

Congratulations to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, he deserves it! I'm very happy that the Deinonychus has been awarded, it was the only figure I bought last year, and I adore it, it's one of my favorite figures in my collection. I have been waiting for a figure like this for such a long time, and I'm not the only one who feels the same.

I also agree with the Lisowicia winning the best non dinosaur model award.

Shonisaurus

I'm happy for Doug Watson and I'm happy for Collecta, a company that has put it at the same level in genius with Safari. Sincerely I would like to have that lisowicia soon.
On the other hand, the deinonychus reminds me of a model taken from paleoartistic illustration. Hopefully Doug keep making more feathered raptors.

Note: I have the defect to read very fast and had misunderstood and had thought that what Crackington had said Thank you avatar_Crackington @Crackington !

Varanops

Congratulations to Doug Watson and Collect-A.  Encore!

SidB

I'm all for Safari and I admire CollectA, but it really does seem to me that Eofauna and PNSO are going to be unable to win with this magazine, based on precedence. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I don't feel that the latter two companies produce the "look" that Prrehistoric Times is after.

Crackington

Well there was an article on Chinese dinosaur brands in the last issue, heavily featuring PNSO and very favourably too. As they become more prominent and available in the US, l'm sure they'll clock up more votes among the readers.

Worth remembering that the PT readership is older in the main than on here, many still look at Collecta as a new-ish brand!

ceratopsian

The article wasn't wholly accurate though. It seems like it is still very much new territory for the magazine. But at least they are investigating the field.

Quote from: Crackington on February 19, 2021, 08:12:26 PM
Well there was an article on Chinese dinosaur brands in the last issue, heavily featuring PNSO and very favourably too. As they become more prominent and available in the US, l'm sure they'll clock up more votes among the readers.

Worth remembering that the PT readership is older in the main than on here, many still look at Collecta as a new-ish brand!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: