News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

^I think maybe its b/c of the colors he chose for the ceratopsians, some of the larger figures colors are a bit loud, not unlike the Chap Mei figures. With the raptors they were more subdued and even the brighter ones, since they are related to birds and have feathers the bright colors somewhat make more sense.

Faelrin

I think I understand what you are getting at now. Is it the much more obvious seams around the joints where the articulation is at in regards to the ceratopsians that bothers you? I agree the joints were more hidden on the raptors and possibly some of these upcoming tyrannosaurs from the looks of it. I'm actually not a fan of how visible the seams are on the horns of the sub-adult Triceratops for example, but I understand why it is that way. Or is it because of the brighter colorations many had that time around?

I think David's line has fallen into quite a niche (though definitely a financially successful and supportive one), with broad overlap from traditional static model dinosaur collectors and action figure collectors.

There are many that are interested in them because their sculpts are mostly accurate to the current science (minus the color schemes based on extant animals mainly), but their size (typically 1:6 and 1:18), price (typically $40 - $100+), and high amounts of articulation (which while increases posing options, also increases the number of visible seams) may turn people away that are used to more traditional dinosaur figures. And of course some of the brighter color schemes have turned folks away as well. And while there are definitely action figure collectors interested in dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures, I imagine the subset that are both primarily action figure and dinosaur collectors is much smaller, people like myself, especially those that aren't tied down to the JP designs only (I know there were definitely some out there that complained about the feathered raptors).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Faelrin

Behold, the long awaited Kickstarter exclusive WWD inspired 1/35 Tyrannosaurus rex concept art is in progress now:

I can't wait to get this one and have it on display with my Toyway WWD Allosaurus.

suspsy

Quote from: Faelrin on March 05, 2021, 07:00:07 PM
Behold, the long awaited Kickstarter exclusive WWD inspired 1/35 Tyrannosaurus rex concept art is in progress now:

I can't wait to get this one and have it on display with my Toyway WWD Allosaurus.

Looks great, but I'm still sold on the bigger Dino Riders version.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

I will definitely be picking up that WWD Tyrannosaurus.
I would be a big fan of that Yutyrannus, but something seems off putting about the head to me. It looks almost as if it is angry? I'll wait to see the colors on it.
The Lythronax is amazing! I was hoping to only pick up two of these as they are quite expensive, but this Lythronax is calling to me....
I thought I would pass on these (since they're articulated) but these just look gorgeous....

andrewsaurus rex

the tyrannosaur series is coming along nicely. Can't wait.  I also saw recently (I think it was on twitter) that BOTM are coming out with 1/18 Psittacosaurus, Protocertops and some small raptors, which i'm very excited about.  This may be old news to many, as i'm new to this forum.

I hope the plans for 1/18 raptors extend to deinonycus, utahraptor, dakotaraptor etc.   Lots to look forward to!

suspsy

There's the completed KS 1/35 T. rex artwork. I applaud David Silva's effort, but it still looks pretty dull to me. The Dino-Riders version is way more pleasing.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2021, 02:10:01 AM
There's the completed KS 1/35 T. rex artwork. I applaud David Silva's effort, but it still looks pretty dull to me. The Dino-Riders version is way more pleasing.

I was never really wowed by the WWD Rex as I guess, so many others were. Looked like one of Charlie McGrady's paint jobs, which isn't bad but just standard?  I'll wait to see the real paint on the sculpt I guess, but my thinking is I'm probably getting both versions especially if it has a huge DR inspired art box.

Faelrin

I'll add this to the op later tonight. Been busy cleaning my room and redoing my displays all day.

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 12, 2021, 02:33:18 AM
I was never really wowed by the WWD Rex as I guess, so many others were. Looked like one of Charlie McGrady's paint jobs, which isn't bad but just standard?  I'll wait to see the real paint on the sculpt I guess, but my thinking is I'm probably getting both versions especially if it has a huge DR inspired art box.

I'd be baffled if it didn't come in a box with DR-inspired artwork just like the Monoclonius did. Be great if it was posed similarly to the original Tyco artwork.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2021, 03:07:07 AM

I'd be baffled if it didn't come in a box with DR-inspired artwork just like the Monoclonius did. Be great if it was posed similarly to the original Tyco artwork.

They updated the Monoclonius pose to be more accurate so I'm not so sure we'll get such an upright pose but I wouldn't complain about it.  Wasn't the last box's art by the fellow who did the original Tyco art or am I just imaging that bit?

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 12, 2021, 03:10:39 AM

They updated the Monoclonius pose to be more accurate so I'm not so sure we'll get such an upright pose but I wouldn't complain about it.  Wasn't the last box's art by the fellow who did the original Tyco art or am I just imaging that bit?

Oh, I certainly wouldn't want it walking upright like that, but standing imperiously atop a rocky cliff with its head turned and mouth wide open in a thunderous roar would be keen. And yes, Ezra Tucker did the Monoclonius' artwork, and I'm confident he'd be more than happy to do the T. rex's as well!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2021, 03:23:39 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 12, 2021, 03:10:39 AM

Oh, I certainly wouldn't want it walking upright like that, but standing imperiously atop a rocky cliff with its head turned and mouth wide open in a thunderous roar would be keen. And yes, Ezra Tucker did the Monoclonius' artwork, and I'm confident he'd be more than happy to do the T. rex's as well!

Awesome! I'm sure it will be epic and a must order!

Subduction

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2021, 02:10:01 AM

I respect everyone's opinions here but I don't find the design dull at all. If anything, David's interpretation looks more interesting than the actual WWD T. rex. When done correctly, natural colors and markings look just as good as colorful designs. Although, I'd love to see how he would have designed the other choices. I was going to say they were a bit too colorful and unnatural for my tastes but then I remembered that the KS-exclusive Monoclonius is based on the Dino-Riders version, which is colorful and unnatural. But he did such an amazing job with the KS-exclusive and I'm glad I bought it.

I'm also glad David decided to make a Dino-Riders version, even if it didn't win in the polls. That way it can make some people happy at least. :D

Reuben03

anyone else super bummed out that the WWD rex is not only tiny but a kickstarter exclusive??

i'd waited forever for something like this, but not only is it miniscule but its not available for general purchase.

it was gonna look so good next to my Dinosaurs in the Wild T rex. : (

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

CarnotaurusKing

David Silva made custom, Dino-Riders inspired boxes for the Monoclonius, so is it a stretch to assume he'd do the same for the WwD Tyrannosaurus? I wouldn't mind the rex coming in a Toyway inspired package like this:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/1212/18/official-bbc-walking-dinosaurs_360_0cb02f31b71c4094a647584b7b0ae90b.jpg

Edit: how do you post images?

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Reuben03 on March 12, 2021, 07:24:51 PM
anyone else super bummed out that the WWD rex is not only tiny but a kickstarter exclusive??

i'd waited forever for something like this, but not only is it miniscule but its not available for general purchase.

it was gonna look so good next to my Dinosaurs in the Wild T rex. : (

David says, re: WWD version in 1/18 scale: "Might be an option later on, but I don't want to over commit on these for the initial batch- I'm pushing it as it is!"

Post link: https://www.facebook.com/BeastSculptKit/posts/4569839616364541

By implication, the 1/18 scale WWD version (if created) might not be a Kickstarter exclusive. Though it also might not be created, so who knows.

Stegotyranno420

S @Subduction yeah i agree on the thing about the WWD one being better, i just didn't want to see, annoying or nitpicky, so i didn't say it, but now that you saying it, i feel better that some share my opinion

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 ?Oh man, this might be a great figure for me if its 13 inches! How much will it costs. And how long do they stay in the market.

None of the external links are working tho

Subduction

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420
I'm happy to hear that! I almost didn't publish my post because I'm afraid of backlash. But we're all entitled to our opinions. It's ok if people would have preferred the Dino-Riders version for the KS-exclusive and it's ok if people preferred the WWD version. I voted for the WWD version personally.

Stegotyranno420

S @Subduction thanks for always being there. It's been such a pleasure to have you here

On topic, when will these be realeased, I'm so excited it's in my range now. I can't wait to get it for my birthday(if I can, I'm gonna start to find a way to get money , though I'm too young for a job). And how can one buy these, and is it possible to get them on Amazon?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: