News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

I'd be more excited if I knew it wouldnt be hell to balance like my Balaur
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Rain

I love it, maybe even enough to justify the space it would take up.

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2021, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: Bread on August 13, 2021, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2021, 04:46:14 AM
I am very happy for big theropods. I collect primarily in 1:12 ("six inch scale") and I already have to fudge numbers to get these in. Options besides the Mattel super colossal just haven't existed until now.
I honestly would be happy to collect large scale figures, like you mentioned, but again the issue for some and myself is the limited space at which we can display these figures. I'd be curious to see someone or yourself display these and how much room they really take up. I am slowly parting with some of my collection just to fit some of these Tyrannosaurs on my shelves.
To the contrary, when almost nothing gets made in the scale you collect, that makes space a lot less of a concern. Most of what does get made are very small animals, with the occasional larger than normal JP figure breaking that up a bit.
Off-topic, but I have had the idea of only collecting larger scale figures (1/25+) since it allows me to acquire minimal amount of figures. Maybe I'll adapt this collecting style once these Tyrannosaurs are released. Thank you for your input and take on figure scales.

This Tyrannosaurus is massive!!! I can't wait to see dioramas made with this and the ceratopsians. I must say David has really brought this line to the top.

terrorchicken

suspsy

So if the Kickstarter launches on September 22, when will the first wave of tyrannosaurs become available? Spring 2022? Summer? Fall? How long did it take for the first wave of ceratopsians to come out after their Kickstarter?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I think September 2020 was the original estimate for the first wave, with wave 2's being in March. Of course delays in the production process, etc, changed those up. Wave 3 was estimated to be for September 2021 but that too has a delay (never mind the cargo shipping situation which could delay things further).

Edit: If I recall right the ceratopsian kickstarter launched in October 2019 as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Creature

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2021, 04:46:14 AM
I am very happy for big theropods. I collect primarily in 1:12 ("six inch scale") and I already have to fudge numbers to get these in. Options besides the Mattel super colossal just haven't existed until now.

I have stuff in my collections ranging from 1:6 down to 1:54 so I'm not super picky, but I definitely like having options. Aside from the action figures (that are almost all 1:12), my preferred display aesthetic is generally to mix and match scales and sizes so that I can have the larger pieces as anchor focal points, and then fit in smaller stuff around them to conserve space. Theoretically this means that the smaller pieces don't block the larger ones and everything is visible without looking too busy.

So, yeah, I agree, I'm liking the larger options - especially for articulated stuff, because I like to play with it and take silly photos of things like ninjas fighting dinosaurs with lightsabers or whatever.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on August 09, 2021, 10:30:43 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 11:55:21 AM
It's a shame those new remains of Dynamoterror weren't found and revealed a year or so earlier. David might well have included it in the series. Could have just reused the Teratophoneus mould.

even though I'm all for more tyrannosauroids, Dynamoterror is especially fragmentary, and apparently not too dissimilar to Lythronax and Teratophoneus

https://www.facebook.com/groups/409343259490345/permalink/1238891453202184/

I wasn't sure what you were talking about, I assumed you meant that Dynamoterror was discovered too late to be included in the series. I didn't know about these new remains, my apologies.

suspsy

Quote from: Faelrin on August 15, 2021, 04:55:27 AM
avatar_suspsy @suspsy I think September 2020 was the original estimate for the first wave, with wave 2's being in March. Of course delays in the production process, etc, changed those up. Wave 3 was estimated to be for September 2021 but that too has a delay (never mind the cargo shipping situation which could delay things further).

Edit: If I recall right the ceratopsian kickstarter launched in October 2019 as well.

So the first lot of tyrannosaurs probably won't become available till September 2022? That's sad. C'est la vie, I suppose.:(

Faelrin

It's possible. Just need to wait and see what is planned once the kickstarter starts, and that also goes for which figure is planned in which wave. Not much longer now anyways. If you've been following progress for the ceratopsians it does take time for each phase such as tooling, and the paint samples, etc. Having lots of articulation and complicated/detailed paint schemes certainly adds to the time the process takes.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: suspsy on August 15, 2021, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on August 15, 2021, 04:55:27 AM

So the first lot of tyrannosaurs probably won't become available till September 2022? That's sad. C'est la vie, I suppose.:(
That would be quite fast. I just dug through my emails and with the raptor kickstarter it took almost two years for the first wave to ship. But of course that was the first kickstarter where things like production and distribution probably still needed to be figured out, so it makes sense that the whole process would be much faster now.

suspsy

Oh, I know all the reasons why it takes a long time, and they make sense. Can't rush something this important. Nevertheless, it is sad knowing we may not hold these beauties in our hands till fall 2022 if we're lucky.

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on August 15, 2021, 05:15:32 PM
Oh, I know all the reasons why it takes a long time, and they make sense. Can't rush something this important. Nevertheless, it is sad knowing we may not hold these beauties in our hands till fall 2022 if we're lucky.
The hard part of the wait is the fact that I continue to click on this thread hoping for release dates. Not only that but the hope for the release dates to be sooner than expected. Oh my mind how it gets me too excited for these plastic toys.

suspsy

Quote from: Bread on August 15, 2021, 11:36:06 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 15, 2021, 05:15:32 PM
The hard part of the wait is the fact that I continue to click on this thread hoping for release dates. Not only that but the hope for the release dates to be sooner than expected. Oh my mind how it gets me too excited for these plastic toys.

I'm rather concerned about the stability issues with these tyrannosaurs. The leg joints need to be stiff enough to bear the toys' mass, but also loose enough to manipulate without fear of breakage. Same goes for the support rods. I can easily envision David having to go back to the drawing board at some point in the future.  :-\

Carnoking

I plan to use some of those sturdy ceratopsians as bases anyway  >:D

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on August 16, 2021, 02:44:26 PM
I plan to use some of those sturdy ceratopsians as bases anyway  >:D

Yes, those horns and frills will probably be ideal for biting down upon. Still on the fence about shelling out for a Torosaurus, though.  :))

Bread

David just posted some good news regarding scheduling and printing. Also stated that the rex won't be needing a base and based on images it seems well balanced. I feel like this is a positive note as someone who wants to display the ceratopsians and tyrannosaurs together, the base would seem off as it only comes with the tyrannosaurs. Just my opinion though. If someone can post the information David has posted that would be great. Found it on his instagram. (currently I do not have access to a computer to do so)

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread Sure, here you go.

For anyone wondering the tooling process has begun for the 1/35 scale T. rex over at the factory. Yeah already getting the ball rolling prior to the kickstarter launching. Though I have absolutely no doubts it will be successful, considering it features the most popular dinosaur. I have no doubts people not even (heavily) interested in dinosaurs like many of us here, will likely have interest in it, just because of there being several T. rex figures (and in multiple scales). Having it from the start will certainly get it funded faster I think as well. I know that was an issue the ceratopsian kickstarter had. Many wanted the adult 1/18th Triceratops from the get go but it was one of the last to unlock and only did so after the kickstarter from the additional backerkit pre-order funding, so many held off pledging for it (if all together).

I'm guessing I should make a new section for production wip stuff like tooling and eventual paint samples? Thoughts?

MLMjp

So I guess this means the 1/35 T.rex will most likely be part of the 1st wave?

Since it is the only reason I am here, the sooner it gets released, the better.

Bread

Amazing, thank you avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin and if the ceratopsians thread has the production section, I think it would be cool to add one for this thread as well. I feel like paint samples could be put under the production section if it is made.

Quote from: MLMjp on August 17, 2021, 11:44:35 PM
So I guess this means the 1/35 T.rex will most likely be part of the 1st wave?

Since it is the only reason I am here, the sooner it gets released, the better.
Hopefully, plus I think this would be a smart decision for David as this 1/35th scale rex would sell very well.

Besides this figure, I hope for the Guanlong, Yutyrannus, and Lythronax to be part of wave 1 as those are all my most anticipated and wants in the series. Crossing my fingers!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: