You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your least favorite dinosaur?

Started by brontosauruschuck, March 22, 2020, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Concavenator on April 13, 2020, 11:16:10 PM
There also have been remains of Baryonyx found in my country (Spain) and just because it lived in my country doesn't instantly make me like it more. I still like it, yet not so much as Suchomimus

I was saying that I like Suchomimus more, not because it's bigger, but I find it more graceful and elegant overall (in part due to the super long skull, longer than that of Baryonyx). Like I said, for me, it's one of the most beautiful dinosaurs. Since CollectA doesn't want to make a model of it (they have introduced two Baryonyx figures in two years  >:D ), I would adore it if Eofauna made one.

I got you. I like Suchomimus better than Baryonyx visually because of the sail and the snout. It would win in a walk-off.
But when all the spinos are in a competition I'll vote Irritator because that thing has the best name, come on :P Also probably the least loved out of all of them. Gotta support the underdog :))

Concavenator

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 14, 2020, 10:34:12 AM
because of the sail

Well, Baryonyx might have had a sail too (although a small one, similar to that of Suchomimus).
Apparently the original fossil had damaged neural spines, and that's why it is thought that it didn't have any sail.
But afterwards, remains of relatively long neural spines have been discovered in the Isle of Wight, which very probably belonged to Baryonyx.

My favorite spinosaurid is Suchomimus. I like Irritator too, but its name somehow irritates me.  :P

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Concavenator on April 13, 2020, 11:16:10 PM
There also have been remains of Baryonyx found in my country (Spain) and just because it lived in my country doesn't instantly make me like it more. I still like it, yet not so much as Suchomimus

I was saying that I like Suchomimus more, not because it's bigger, but I find it more graceful and elegant overall (in part due to the super long skull, longer than that of Baryonyx). Like I said, for me, it's one of the most beautiful dinosaurs. Since CollectA doesn't want to make a model of it (they have introduced two Baryonyx figures in two years  >:D ), I would adore it if Eofauna made one.

I would love a EoFauna Suchomimus. Would be quite fine for them, as Spinosaurids are quite popular. Would be bad for teh ppl that are fed up with Spinosaurids, but since EoFauna is not a big Brand, they have to look for Numbers.
They sure would create an elegant Animal.

Concavenator

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 14, 2020, 01:56:35 PM
I would love a EoFauna Suchomimus. Would be quite fine for them, as Spinosaurids are quite popular. Would be bad for teh ppl that are fed up with Spinosaurids, but since EoFauna is not a big Brand, they have to look for Numbers.
They sure would create an elegant Animal.

Actually I did put Suchomimus as a suggestion in the questionnaire Eofauna shared with us some time ago.

And I don't think people are fed up with spinosaurids. As happens with tyrannosaurids and dromaeosaurids, the dinosaurs that get all the attention are the ones that appeared in Jurassic Park (Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor and Spinosaurus) Any other members of those families are rarely represented in model form.

For example, last year we got a lot of Spinosaurus figures and we got 1 Baryonyx figure (and because it highly needed a resculpt and the dinosaur itself is relatively famous)

Ravonium

Quote from: Ravonium on March 23, 2020, 07:14:30 PM
Wouldn't really say I dislike any dinosaur or prehistoric creature

Come to think of it, there is one dinosaur that I'd say I dislike

Flaffy

Sim

I's uncertain the long neural spines belonged to Baryonyx.

Bokisaurus

Dean Nonychus

Pterodactyls, though this is cheating because they don't count. It genuinely annoys me when people say they're a dinosaur as I'm sure most people here already know what I'm about to say about the differences between Pterosaurs and Dinosaurs.
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

indohyus

Serendipiceratops and any dino based off insufficient fossil material. It's annoying to review! 

Brontozaurus

Quote from: indohyus on August 05, 2020, 10:41:04 AM
Serendipiceratops and any dino based off insufficient fossil material. It's annoying to review!

On that note, my least favourite dinosaur is probably Nanotyrannus. Yes I know it's likely a baby Tyrannosaurus and not even its own dinosaur, but that's why I dislike it, because by now the evidence overwhelmingly suggests the baby hypothesis but the damn thing just won't die.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Sim

Progress is happening.  On Wikipedia Nanotyrannus is considered a synonym of Tyrannosaurus and its page has been merged with that of the latter.  Same with Mojoceratops and Chasmosaurus.  Dracorex and Stygimoloch have had their pages merged with Pachycephalosaurus's although they're still considered possible synonyms.

suspsy

There remain a great many diehard Nanotyrannus proponents out there. For years now, I've been hearing reassurances that there's this undescribed specimen and that undescribed specimen that will totally validate Nanotyrannus as a distinct genus once for all, but I still have yet to see any fruit borne. Show me a published paper and I'll be more than happy to read it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

elfwink

Maybe Brontosaurus? I'm still getting my head around the Apatosaurus mix up and now the bronto being its own species.

But as far as dinosaurs go, in general, the Brontosarus seems very eh. Generic?

Quote from: Dean Nonychus on August 05, 2020, 09:00:14 AM
Pterodactyls, though this is cheating because they don't count. It genuinely annoys me when people say they're a dinosaur as I'm sure most people here already know what I'm about to say about the differences between Pterosaurs and Dinosaurs.

Me too! Ugh... some people think crocodiles are dinosaurs.

Quote from: suspsy on August 11, 2020, 03:48:22 AM
There remain a great many diehard Nanotyrannus proponents out there. For years now, I've been hearing reassurances that there's this undescribed specimen and that undescribed specimen that will totally validate Nanotyrannus as a distinct genus once for all, but I still have yet to see any fruit borne. Show me a published paper and I'll be more than happy to read it.

Agreed.

Collagraphy

The one I like the least is Irritator.
I approve of this legendary post.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Collagraphy on August 27, 2020, 12:41:13 AM
The one I like the least is Irritator.

Because it irritates you? :))

There are very few dinosaurs I actively dislike, although there are probably plenty I'm 'meh' about.  Nanotyrannus would be a contender simply because you can't seem to have anything approaching a reasonable discussion about it.  But that's not the animal's fault (if it does exist).  I'd be tempted to say the fictional "Indo-" family from the Jurassic World films, and of course the dreaded JP Velociraptor (because, whilst a decent Deinonychus restoration for the early '90s, it's now got everywhere and is what most people think a Velociraptor looks like - which of course couldn't be further from the truth!), but they most definitely don't exist.

Probably my least favourite dinosaurs that are definitely, definitely (all too!) real would have to be pelicans.  Specifically, the big white variety.  The small, brown, New World ones don't bother me.  When I say there are few dinosaurs I actively dislike, that includes the avian variety - but pelicans are the exception.  In fact, I find them a little scary.  There are two reasons for this: firstly, I once saw a wildlife programme where pelicans were filmed engulfing gannet chicks in their beak pouches, flying off with them and disgorging them, partially digested but still alive, for their own chicks to eat.  It was one of the most horrific things I've ever seen on TV, and even though I know it's predation and part of nature, I can't possibly bring myself to like a bird that does that.

Secondly, I remember rounding a corner at the zoo once and unexpectedly coming face to face with a pelican that was pretty much as tall as I was.  This wasn't when I was a kid, either.  I was early teens and I'd pretty much reached my adult height - and I'm not what you'd call short.  I think the pelican was stretching up to reach something, hence the height, and it was also being pretty full-on, loud and flappy.  I got quite a fright and I remember thinking that no bird that wasn't a ratite had any right to be that huge!  I've read since that Dalmatian pelicans can be six feet long with a ten foot wingspan.  Dinosaurs are still here, people.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Stegotyranno420

You're lucky you never seen a shoebill. JUst like TYrannosaurus Rex is scientifically called T.Rex, Shoebills are called B.rex.

As in the shortenting of Balaeniceps Rex

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Stegotyranno on August 27, 2020, 04:21:11 PM
You're lucky you never seen a shoebill. JUst like TYrannosaurus Rex is scientifically called T.Rex, Shoebills are called B.rex.

As in the shortenting of Balaeniceps Rex

I have seen a shoebill!  I don't find them scary at all, actually, although they can be pretty mean - and indeed they can look very fierce.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Skorpio V.

Agujaceratops, hate the name to death I'm completely unsure why. Despise the side profile of the frill. Check out Bravoceratops next time ;)
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Sim

Quote from: Sim on April 12, 2020, 05:59:07 PMAs for what dinosaurs I like least, they would tend to be ones known from poor remains.  Besides those, it's also Concavenator, Nasutoceratops, heterodontosaurids, oviraptorosaurs and some other ceratopsians e.g. Aquilops, Protoceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus.  Concavenator and Nasutoceratops are among the dinosaurs I like least as they have got so much attention in little time and I don't find either particularly interesting.  Heterodontosaurids, oviraptorosaurs and some other ceratopsians because I find them unappealing.
I've actually grown to like Nasutoceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus since I posted the above.  I think they are both ugly but also interesting, especially Pachyrhinosaurus with its bosses.  Currently the dinosaurs I like least, besides species known from poor remains,  are heterodontosaurids, oviraptorosaurs, pachycephalosaurs, Concavenator, Chilesaurus, Regaliceratops and basal ceratopsians.  I find them all unappealing.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: