You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your least favorite dinosaur?

Started by brontosauruschuck, March 22, 2020, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Although it is a dinosaur that has never been made in the market, it seems to me an uninteresting dinosaur, the Orodromeus dinosaur is not as picturesque as an armored dinosaur, iguanodontid, sauropod, hadrosaurid or carnivorous dinosaur can be. I know it is an unpopular opinion as it is a dinosaur unfairly treated by toy dinosaur brands and even collectibles (resin dinosaurs).

SidB

I like all dinosaurs, each has it's merits in its own way.I might like some more than others but can never find any that I actively dislike. That's just me - I'm a professional horticulturist and I'm the same way with plants, exactly. Even "weeds" are beautiful in the right context.

However, if pressed to it, I do have a bugbear - the infamous Schleich Ceratosaurus of the Replicasaurus line. It has to be seen to be believed. If you don't believe me, check out the DTB review. It's a classic. Note the "comments". They say it all.  But, as someone has said, if it's BAD enough, in some perverse way, it becomes GOOD. I have one of these absurd figures and it is so remarkably BAD that its ... well, almost good, sort off. We're strange creatures, tastewise, aren't we?

Faelrin

I can't think of any one that I actively dislike. Am I bored of the over representation of Tyrannosaurus, and Megalodon like many folks? Sure, but all the same I do find them appealing for one reason or another, and yes their size does have a lot to do with that, and in the case of Tyrannosaurus, it's had a lot of interesting discoveries in the past 10 years I think, such as how incredibly powerful its jaw strength was, aside from being one of the first dinosaurs I knew about (but who doesn't that apply to?).

However there are lots of species I don't find interesting enough, such as ones with scant remains. With some exceptions I don't find smaller or basal ornithopods, megaraptorans, ornithomimosaurs, and oviraptorids all that interesting either.

For collecting I'm not really interested in the majority of sauropods (I really only like the classics I guess, such as Amargasaurus, Apatosaurus, Brontosaurus, Camarasaurus, Diplodocus, Giraffatitan, with a few exceptions here and there), and the above applies still applies as well to this. Probably the bulk of Thyreophora come to think of it, with some exceptions.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

leidy

Actually on further contemplation, I do have a dinosaur that I somewhat dislike, but I have to put it in context to explain why.  Pachyrhinosaurus.  I love ceratopsians, there are so many great ceratopsians and they all tend to be very distinct and unique.  And Pachyrhinosaurus is amongst the most unique, and very well represented in the fossil record.  But it's just so damned ugly and misshapen.

There was a time a few years back when it just seemed to be everywhere, and I just felt like it was taking the place of a more aesthetically pleasing ceratopsian.  I would've rather had Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Einiosaurus, Diabloceratops and many others.  It was in the animated movies March of the Dinosaurs, it was in the Walking with Dinosaurs movie.  It really takes a great artist like David Krentz to bring it to life.  I'm also very fond of Dan LaRusso's version in the Battat line.  I think it might be his finest work.  In the hands of lesser artists, it can wind up looking a bit like a potato head ceratopsian with ugly lumps and horns just randomly stuck on.   

Well, it's not so much that I dislike the animal; it just wouldn't be my first choice!  Obviously the bonebed and the fossil record really raise its profile, and importance.  If they didn't have so many of the things, and just an isolated find, one might suspect a hideously deformed individual!   

Concavenator

A dinosaur that I think receives too much attention is Baryonyx. I like Baryonyx, but I find it dull in comparison with his close relative Suchomimus. I don't understand why Suchomimus receives so few attention compared to Baryonyx, when all the characteristics of Baryonyx that make it interesting are taken to a higher level on Suchomimus .

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Concavenator on April 12, 2020, 11:44:08 AM
A dinosaur that I think receives too much attention is Baryonyx. I like Baryonyx, but I find it dull in comparison with his close relative Suchomimus. I don't understand why Suchomimus receives so few attention compared to Baryonyx, when all the characteristics of Baryonyx that make it interesting are taken to a higher level on Suchomimus .

Haha, yes. I guess it's the "fault" of the JP / JW Franchise. They have a Baryonyx. Yes, Suchomimus was mentioned in JP3 but yeah. I like all Spinosaurids ( Yes, they are Popular. blah. )

Topic:

When it comes to Dinosaur Figures i have to say, i really do not need Ankylosaurids. They are interesting Animals, but i find them quite boring, as a Displayfigure.
And i have no Interest in JP styled Animals. I like the first Movies, but i dont like their look and ther behaivior.
Oh. And a dont have a single Ceratopsian. Not one.

Outside of Toys, i would say i like most of the Dinosaurs. A lot is Changing and we discover more and more unique Dinosaurs. I really like that.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 12, 2020, 01:55:21 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on April 12, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Haha, yes. I guess it's the "fault" of the JP / JW Franchise. They have a Baryonyx. Yes, Suchomimus was mentioned in JP3 but yeah. I like all Spinosaurids ( Yes, they are Popular. blah. )

It could also be the name. People can be simple like that. Suchomimus=sucko-mimus. It sucks, get it? Haa ::)

Sim

I like both Baryonyx and Suchomimus!  The only things that are taken to a higer level from Baryonyx to Suchomimus is size and power and having less doesn't make that species uninteresting.  Baryonyx and Suchomimus lived in different ecosystems and are known from different parts of the world, and they look a little different, so both have qualities that make them appealing.  I'm happy Baryonyx has finally got some good figures after so long with only inadequate representation.  I'd like Suchomimus to get attention now though, I would love it if avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna made a Suchomimus!

As for what dinosaurs I like least, they would tend to be ones known from poor remains.  Besides those, it's also Concavenator, Nasutoceratops, heterodontosaurids, oviraptorosaurs and some other ceratopsians e.g. Aquilops, Protoceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus.  Concavenator and Nasutoceratops are among the dinosaurs I like least as they have got so much attention in little time and I don't find either particularly interesting.  Heterodontosaurids, oviraptorosaurs and some other ceratopsians because I find them unappealing.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on April 12, 2020, 05:59:07 PM
I like both Baryonyx and Suchomimus!  The only things that are taken to a higer level from Baryonyx to Suchomimus is size and power and having less doesn't make that species uninteresting.  Baryonyx and Suchomimus lived in different ecosystems and are known from different parts of the world, and they look a little different, so both have qualities that make them appealing.  I'm happy Baryonyx has finally got some good figures after so long with only inadequate representation.  I'd like Suchomimus to get attention now though, I would love it if avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna made a Suchomimus!

By taken to a higher level I wasn't thinking of size and power. Baryonyx is known to have a long snout, but Suchomimus' is even longer. Baryonyx had a very large thumb claw, but so did Suchomimus. I think Suchomimus is one of the most beautiful dinosaurs, it looks very elegant. The Safari one is good, but I would LOVE IT if Eofauna made their version too! When CollectA announced their new Baryonyx for 2019, part of me was pissed off that we didn't get a Suchomimus instead  :P I basically took that as a "We won't be making a Suchomimus, cheers).

ITdactyl

Had this been asked 2 decades ago, I would've quickly replied: "the segnosaurs". Every time I encountered them in a dino-book, my immediate reaction is: "this is hella boring" or "oh, here's the filler dinosaur."

And then more therizinosaurids were found, and suddenly the unpopular kids became stars. It's the revenge of the giant turkey-Wolverines(TM).

Kapitaenosavrvs

QuoteI think Suchomimus is one of the most beautiful dinosaurs, it looks very elegant.

I Second that!

Sorry for being offtopic. But: Elegant Longsnouts, that lived and hunted near/in Water. The best Mix of both :)

EmperorDinobot

Career politicians/lobbyists/gerontocrats.

Gwangi

For me my favorite spinosaurid actually is Baryonyx. Part of it is nostalgia, Baryonyx was featured in a lot of dinosaur books in the early 90's and at the time there was nothing like it. Suchomimus has yet to be described and Spinosaurus looked completely different. It was "the" fish eating dinosaur. THe story behind its discovery I've also always found interesting and I also just have an affinity for British dinosaurs. Sooo...it's not all about size.

When I first responded to this thread I said my least favorite was Spinosaurs but didn't elaborate as to why. Really I have nothing against the dinosaur itself, that's silly, I appreciate all living (or once living) things to some degree. I answered Spinosaurs mostly because I'm frustrated that we still don't really know what the thing looked like and I find most reconstructions unconvincing. Also I strongly dislike JP3, not because of the Spinosaurus, it's just guilt by association.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Gwangi on April 12, 2020, 09:34:14 PM
For me my favorite spinosaurid actually is Baryonyx. Part of it is nostalgia, Baryonyx was featured in a lot of dinosaur books in the early 90's and at the time there was nothing like it. Suchomimus has yet to be described and Spinosaurus looked completely different. It was "the" fish eating dinosaur. THe story behind its discovery I've also always found interesting and I also just have an affinity for British dinosaurs. Sooo...it's not all about size.

When I first responded to this thread I said my least favorite was Spinosaurs but didn't elaborate as to why. Really I have nothing against the dinosaur itself, that's silly, I appreciate all living (or once living) things to some degree. I answered Spinosaurs mostly because I'm frustrated that we still don't really know what the thing looked like and I find most reconstructions unconvincing. Also I strongly dislike JP3, not because of the Spinosaurus, it's just guilt by association.

Aah, the Nostalgia. Still have that Book (Dinosaurs - Dougal Dixon. I think its english release was '88.)from my Childhood (one of a few.). I completely understand your feelings towards Baryonyx. Just made a Foto for everyone to have a nice slice of nostalgia, too.

leidy

I feel the same way.  Baryonyx was one of the most significant finds of the time.  It was a dinosaur that had no existing precedent known to science. It was notably different from anything previously illustrated. 

To compare it to Suchomimus, they would've been very similar animals. 

What's interesting to me is how each find added to our understanding.  Previous illustrations of Spinosaurus were essentially allosaurus with a spine sail.  When the NHM reconstructed Baryonyx, they used the skull of Allosaurus as a guide to help fill in the missing pieces.  That's still what you see in museums today.  Then when JP3 brought Spinosaurus back to the public consciousness they depicted it as a giant Baryonyx with a sail.  More recent reconstructions of Baryonyx use Suchomimus to more accurately reconstruct the skull.  And of course Spinosaurus has become something different again.   All of them would benefit from additional finds.  In terms of overall proportions and morphology we're still not quite getting the full picture.  There's room for interpretation.  Current reconstructions may be spot on, or they may need to be revised substantially.  All the more so when it comes to the lesser known spinosaurids.   

Concavenator

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 13, 2020, 12:26:27 AM

Aah, the Nostalgia. Still have that Book (Dinosaurs - Dougal Dixon. I think its english release was '88.)from my Childhood (one of a few.). I completely understand your feelings towards Baryonyx. Just made a Foto for everyone to have a nice slice of nostalgia, too.

Wow, looks like back then, the family was called Baryonichidae instead of Spinosauridae!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

This exactly this. I saw the comment earlier but you have expressed my feelings much more eloquently already. Suchomimus means  nothing to me, I don't care that its bigger or has more or a sail, it just means nothing to me  I first heard of it 5 years ago. Baryonyx is and always has been one of the few carnivorous dinosaurs I really liked growing up and it means so much more to me, and yes it being found in the UK is certainly a big part of that. A dinosaur not from far off places as the US, Mongolia or Argentina, it was found did here an ditch was lovely.

On answer to the topic I will continue to say Tyrannosaurus, not because I don't like it at all but because it is everywhere .
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

Baryonyx is my favourite spinosaurid too, and it's in my top 5 favourite dinosaurs.  I like Suchomimus a lot as well.  Baryonyx might have a snout that is proportionally a little shorter than Suchomimus's, and another thing I missed earlier is that Suchomimus appears to have taller back verterbrae than Baryonyx, but I like Baryonyx for what it is.  The large finger claw seems to be the same size in proportion to the rest of the animal in Baryonyx and Suchomimus, with it being bigger in Suchomimus because the whole animal is bigger.  Another reason I like Baryonyx is that the holotype was found relatively close to where I live, we're both from the UK, so I can relate to it.  It's also interesting to learn that when Baryonyx was alive the area was subtropical with marshes.

Baryonyx is popular and there wasn't a good figure of it available for a long time, then the only good figure of it was the Favorite version which was sold at an exhibition in Japan.  So Baryonyx still lacked a good toy version that was widely available.  Therefore I think it was good CollectA made a new Baryonyx.  Now we need a company to recognise that Suchomimus is popular as well and make a good figure of it!

leidy

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on April 13, 2020, 10:45:32 AM
Suchomimus means  nothing to me, I don't care that its bigger or has more or a sail, it just means nothing to me  I first heard of it 5 years ago.

I remember when Suchomimus was announced.  National Geographic did a TV special that hyped it up quite a bit as a new mystery dinosaur found on an expedition by Paul Sereno.  It seemed like a pretty big deal. Before the big reveal I was guessing they had new Spinosaurus material, which wasn't a million miles off.

It was one of the more memorable finds of the late 90s, and they introduced it to the world with a very nicely mounted full skeleton and an excellent sculpture by Stephen Czerkas.     

Concavenator

There also have been remains of Baryonyx found in my country (Spain) and just because it lived in my country doesn't instantly make me like it more. I still like it, yet not so much as Suchomimus

I was saying that I like Suchomimus more, not because it's bigger, but I find it more graceful and elegant overall (in part due to the super long skull, longer than that of Baryonyx). Like I said, for me, it's one of the most beautiful dinosaurs. Since CollectA doesn't want to make a model of it (they have introduced two Baryonyx figures in two years  >:D ), I would adore it if Eofauna made one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: