News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchry6

I do not think that safety is their concern ... Just look at their rhinos to see how sharp their horns  :D

Takama

Quote from: anchry6 on December 19, 2012, 11:09:35 PM
I do not think that safety is their concern ... Just look at their rhinos to see how sharp their horns  :D

That and stick you Fingure on the Teeth of there Running T-Rex

Aram-Rex

You guys have a point. Well, whatever I'm still getin it :D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on December 19, 2012, 08:40:44 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 19, 2012, 05:44:12 AM
You mean the Rhino? well a member of another Forum had got his hands on it.

I think what they did to the horn (turned it into a club) is abominable.  Yeah, I know - they don't want some kid to get stabbed in the eye and then sue Papo.  Its awful.  Anyone buying it should plan out the best way of whittling it down.

Paleoferrequine - do you take commissions?   ^-^

I have a theory---Perhaps, Papo was initially working on a Brontotherium (with its club-like horn) and then realized that Mojo Fun was also making one....so they converted their Megacerops prototype into a full-fledged Wooly Rhino....?

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 20, 2012, 01:08:06 AM

I think what they did to the horn (turned it into a club) is abominable.  Yeah, I know - they don't want some kid to get stabbed in the eye and then sue Papo.  Its awful.  Anyone buying it should plan out the best way of whittling it down.

I have a theory---Perhaps, Papo was initially working on a Brontotherium (with its club-like horn) and then realized that Mojo Fun was also making one....so they converted their Megacerops prototype into a full-fledged Wooly Rhino....?
I highly doubt that.After all,Papo are going to release a Carnotaurus,just as Schleich will be doing next year. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ajax

Did I see pics of Schleich's new 2013 dinosaurs here somewhere or not? Just did a quick google search and can't find them.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ajax on December 20, 2012, 03:01:04 AM
Did I see pics of Schleich's new 2013 dinosaurs here somewhere or not? Just did a quick google search and can't find them.
Yes, you did. I guess that they were so forgettable that noone cares about them. Here they are again.

ajax

Thanks, they look really nice for 'Monsters'

paleoferroequine

Yah, maybe I should this time, I'm going to look at the lower jaw in person before rendering judgment.  But if it needs to be corrected, I will. As to the horn, it may look weird, but looking at extant rhinos there seems to be a big variation in the horns.  Since there aren't any preserved horns, afaik, this one could be plausible. But, I don't like it and I will sculpt a new, laterally compressed one for myself.  That reminds me, when I got my Missing Links Coelodonta years ago,  first thing I did was make a new flattened horn for it, immediately reducing it's collectors value. Not that I want to sell it. Of course if I did sell it, the buyer wouldn't probably know the difference anyway. ;D

Simon

I may have solved the mystery.  The Sumatran Rhino is the closest living relative to the extinct Woolly Rhino.  Its babies are covered with red fur, which falls off as the individual grows.

Guess what some old males' horns can look like?

and a newborn, and another younger individual showing the hair:

Seijun

Quote from: Simon on December 20, 2012, 08:04:55 AM
I may have solved the mystery.  The Sumatran Rhino is the closest living relative to the extinct Woolly Rhino.  Its babies are covered with red fur, which falls off as the individual grows.

Guess what some old males' horns can look like?

Sure doesn't look like a baseball bat to me..

But it is very cool to see a male Sumatran rhino with a horn. I think I tried to find such an image some months ago and could not.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

brontodocus

Yes, the Sumatran Rhinoceros is considered to be Coelodonta's closest extant relative. But fossil horns were actually found, they are huge, curved, and (as I said above) strongly compressed laterally, very different from any extant rhinos' horns which are round or oval in cross-section. The relatively close phylogenetic relationship between it and the Sumatran Rhinoceros doesn't necessarily require similar horns. There may be a considerable variation in horn shape and I don't know how many have been found but I've never seen or read about one that was not laterally compressed or that looked like that of the Papo figure in lateral aspect.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Sharptooth

Wow, some great figures next year, i'm especially fond of the Dilo couple (wonder when i'll get one of those "Dinosauria" statues...), the WS Dimorphodon and Gastornis, and the Collecta Daspletosaurus (would have been better if Papo or Safari made him but, hey, at least now we have a Das figure to play with!).

The Carnegie Concavenator is basically the two years ago Giga with a new dress, and the Papo Carnotaurus is a pvc copy of the Sideshow one... Not a bad thing as itself, but i'd prefer a lil' more originality (see their battle-scarred Rex or even the "punk" Allosaurus).

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sharptooth on December 20, 2012, 04:19:09 PM
Wow, some great figures next year, i'm especially fond of the Dilo couple (wonder when i'll get one of those "Dinosauria" statues...), the WS Dimorphodon and Gastornis, and the Collecta Daspletosaurus (would have been better if Papo or Safari made him but, hey, at least now we have a Das figure to play with!).

The Carnegie Concavenator is basically the two years ago Giga with a new dress, and the Papo Carnotaurus is a pvc copy of the Sideshow one... Not a bad thing as itself, but i'd prefer a lil' more originality (see their battle-scarred Rex or even the "punk" Allosaurus).

The Carno is mostly modeled after the Sideshow one but comparing the two the Papo has more armor and spines so it's a bit more original I suppose.

Despite the look of the concavenator it is an original sculpture just a really similar species to Giga and I think just not different enough for most of us . Using a different species altogether I think would have gone over better.

anchry6

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 17, 2012, 08:40:13 PM
Quote from: anchry6 on December 17, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
Thank you for hearing our prayers. AMEN.   O:-)

:D

Indeed! Coincidence or influence?
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,459.0.html

I have an official announcement by the Papo: they followed our advice to make a Carnotaurus and, above all, how to do it!
I do not know why I have not answered before ... Maybe because they were afraid that I would talk ahead of time ...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: anchry6 on December 20, 2012, 07:01:53 PM

I have an official announcement by the Papo: they followed our advice to make a Carnotaurus and, above all, how to do it!
I do not know why I have not answered before ... Maybe because they were afraid that I would talk ahead of time ...

Well congratulations then Anchry, all you hard work paid off! 8)  :D

postsaurischian

Wow, it's really true :) ... unbelievable :D!! Well done, anchry6!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 20, 2012, 07:26:53 PM
Wow, it's really true :) ... unbelievable :D!! Well done, anchry6!

Yes, well done!  ;D  I must admit, I'm rather surprised! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 20, 2012, 07:04:16 PM
Quote from: anchry6 on December 20, 2012, 07:01:53 PM

Well congratulations then Anchry, all you hard work paid off! 8)  :D

Same here. I honestly hadn't thought they would myself.  Maybe they'll continue to lend an ear here now. :)

tanystropheus

Amazing! I suppose Papo is now aware of the demand for scientifically-oriented figures by the community.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: