News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

I am so pleased with papo's 2013 lineup!  They seem to be getting much closer to making scientific accuracy one of their main goals as a company.  The Carnotaurus is a bit stout, and its arms slightly too long, but it's an improvement on just about every other carno toy I've seen (maybe not the carnegie one, though).  The Dimetrodon has to be the greatest figure they've ever produced.  It's seems to be as scientifically accurate or more than any dimetrodon figure on the market, AND they even gave it an ornate pattern on the sail!  I haven't been this psyched over a papo release since their Allosaurus was announced.  Sorry if I sound a bit hyperbolic, but to me this is a huge step forward for a company that has shown amazing potential in the past.  I don't get a chance to collect dinos too often because I'm an aspiring paleoartist and am so picky (didn't get the styrac because of the long neck, avoided the pachyrino because of the antlers, passed on the T-rex because of the bizarre jaw and long arms, don't want the roid rage Brachi, etc).  They've always had the potential to make the best figures in the market but simple, careless mistakes have held them back.  Looks like that might not be the case anymore.

That said, I have some concerns:

- Worried that the carno and dimetro will be made using the shiny plastic that takes away from the detail and realism
- worried that the carno's teeth are not individually sculpted and are more like the JP raptor's
- worried that the paint on both models will be sloppy
- worried that the carno won't be released until december

That's about it!  Please keep it up, papo!

tanystropheus

Quote from: gfxtwin on January 14, 2013, 06:38:00 AM
I am so pleased with papo's 2013 lineup!  They seem to be getting much closer to making scientific accuracy one of their main goals as a company.  The Carnotaurus is a bit stout, and its arms slightly too long, but it's an improvement on just about every other carno toy I've seen (maybe not the carnegie one, though).  The Dimetrodon has to be the greatest figure they've ever produced.  It's seems to be as scientifically accurate or more than any dimetrodon figure on the market, AND they even gave it an ornate pattern on the sail!  I haven't been this psyched over a papo release since their Allosaurus was announced.  Sorry if I sound a bit hyperbolic, but to me this is a huge step forward for a company that has shown amazing potential in the past.  I don't get a chance to collect dinos too often because I'm an aspiring paleoartist and am so picky (didn't get the styrac because of the long neck, avoided the pachyrino because of the antlers, passed on the T-rex because of the bizarre jaw and long arms, don't want the roid rage Brachi, etc).  They've always had the potential to make the best figures in the market but simple, careless mistakes have held them back.  Looks like that might not be the case anymore.

- Worried that the carno and dimetro will be made using the shiny plastic that takes away from the detail and realism
- worried that the carno's teeth are not individually sculpted and are more like the JP raptor's

Papo truly stepped up their game for 2013. I doubt Papo will introduce shiny plastic (unless the Dimetrodon sail happens to be made up of a different texture?) for their models--It seems as if only their 'Plesiosaurus' has a different texture. All their recently released theropods have had individually sculpted teeth, and I don't see Papo breaking from this tradition. Papo models generally do not have sloppy paint unless you happen to be unfortunate enough to receive a defective copy (very rare).

I don't see the Styracosaurus as having a particularly long neck, especially when compared directly to the X-plus and Favorite 2012 renditions.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Zopteryx on January 12, 2013, 09:30:24 PM

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 12, 2013, 02:55:15 AM
That Papo Gharial looks amazing----Does anyone know if prehistoric Gharials were morphologically similar to their extant counterparts??
The modern genus has been around since the Miocene, and its ancestors have been around since the late Cretaceous.  Very similar looking crocodilians of various families have existed since at least the late Jurassic. :)

Awesome, I am definitely looking forward to the Papo Gharial :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

First thing. Don't worry so much ! ;D lol

Not every dino was exactly the same I would almost guarantee it. Just like modern animals. If you look close enough each one is a little different.

I don't think they use shiny plastic..that's a gloss coating your thinking of I'd guess. It's used as a sealer for the paint..on marine animals it makes sense.  Though a flat sealer would be best for the others..unless they are out in the rain.. ;)

The teeth sculpt..I can't say for sure but based on their latest theropods including the redo of the brown perched Rex the teeth should be an issue..they were superb of these newer ones.

As Tany said, sloppy paint hasn't ever been an issue really.

December ? Everything Dinosaur reported on FB that the Dimetrodon was for June and would the last one for this year.  So I figure the Carno has to come out then or before...baring delays.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2013, 03:56:12 PM

Not every dino was exactly the same I would almost guarantee it. Just like modern animals. If you look close enough each one is a little different.

I don't think they use shiny plastic..that's a gloss coating your thinking of I'd guess. It's used as a sealer for the paint..on marine animals it makes sense.  Though a flat sealer would be best for the others..unless they are out in the rain.. ;)

The teeth sculpt..I can't say for sure but based on their latest theropods including the redo of the brown perched Rex the teeth should be an issue..they were superb of these newer ones.

December ? Everything Dinosaur reported on FB that the Dimetrodon was for June and would the last one for this year.  So I figure the Carno has to come out then or before...baring delays.

Just like the Brachiosaurus came out as promised in June 2012, right? ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2013, 03:56:12 PM

I bought my Papo running rex very early in its release, and it has some errors in the paintwork around the jaw area.

They're rare, but paintwork mess ups do happen from time to time.

Also, don't forget that the Papo Carno has claws on its forearms when it should not :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's it Sbell !

Hmm..TQ are those errors really ? Maybe they were done on purpose ?  The running Rex is a gnarly piece. The one you have circled could be a scrape from shipping  ?

Claws can be removed...just ask any cat. lol ;D

Brontozaurus

So I just saw the pics of the Schleich figures and oh wow they do not look good. The Styracosaurus was going to be bad anyway, but I did have some hopes for the Carnotaurus (mainly based on the nice sculpt of the new Tyrannosaurus). Said hopes have been dashed against the cruel rocks of reality.

Conversely, I am quite excited for Papo's Carnotaurus and Dimetrodon. I love that the Dimetrodon got a moving jaw too, what with that mouthful of teeth it has.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2013, 09:10:23 PM
That's it Sbell !

Hmm..TQ are those errors really ? Maybe they were done on purpose ?  The running Rex is a gnarly piece. The one you have circled could be a scrape from shipping  ?

I recived a Triceratops from Papo that has a white spot on the base of his horn.  These things might be rare, but they are anoying when you find them   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM
That's it Sbell !

I recived a Triceratops from Papo that has a white spot on the base of his horn.  These things might be rare, but they are anoying when you find them

But is it a rub or just not painted at all ?

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 14, 2013, 07:05:36 AM
Papo models generally do not have sloppy paint unless you happen to be unfortunate enough to receive a defective copy (very rare).

I would call myself unfortunate then, because my Running Tyrannosaurus Rex has insanely bad paint apps on his hind claws.

But as everyone here knows, he's the much-coveted brown version, so I do not call myself unfortunate after all.

All my other Papo toys are perfectly good.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

That's it Sbell !

I doubt very much much that the paint smudge was done on purpose, it detracts from the overall look of the figure and just looks sloppy and ugly. In fact, the smudge that I circled in the photo was slightly sticky when I got it. I dunno if it is still like that, I have not gotten my running rex down from the shelf in about a year. I might take another photo if anyone is interested...or perhaps we could start a thread...heh  ::) :)

To be honest, I am starting to become less and less fond of my running rex as time passes :/ Perhaps my collecting goals have just changed, but I find myself more and more turned off by anything Hollywood move monster related :X I think the running rex is a beautiful sculpture, but it's not a real animal, just some weird vastatosaurus JP rex hybrid :/ I really hope Papo starts to move away from pop culture dinos.

Seijun

I think it must be remembered that these are mass produced, and mass painted, and they are intended for children. Its really amazing to me that the paint jobs are as good as they are. At our company, we only have a few painters and we don't produce nearly as much product as Papo, but we still make "errors" in our painting.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2013, 11:01:51 PM
That's it Sbell !

I doubt very much much that the paint smudge was done on purpose, it detracts from the overall look of the figure and just looks sloppy and ugly. In fact, the smudge that I circled in the photo was slightly sticky when I got it. I dunno if it is still like that, I have not gotten my running rex down from the shelf in about a year. I might take another photo if anyone is interested...or perhaps we could start a thread...heh  ::) :)

To be honest, I am starting to become less and less fond of my running rex as time passes :/ Perhaps my collecting goals have just changed, but I find myself more and more turned off by anything Hollywood move monster related :X I think the running rex is a beautiful sculpture, but it's not a real animal, just some weird vastatosaurus JP rex hybrid :/ I really hope Papo starts to move away from pop culture dinos.

It could just be shipping damage though..not necessarily the result of sloppy paint work right ?

Seijun, aren't some of those occasional errors valuable though ? ;D

Takama

Mybe this paint talk is best for another Topic,   Lets see if Admin can split the discussion

Seijun

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2013, 01:29:49 AM

Depends on the error  ;D  An error in the overall color would be valuable (the figure being painted the wrong color), but not sloppy paint around the mouth.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on January 16, 2013, 04:47:44 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2013, 01:29:49 AM

Depends on the error  ;D  An error in the overall color would be valuable (the figure being painted the wrong color), but not sloppy paint around the mouth.

Ah. I did recall some oddball / error pieces were valuable..and some were actually pretty cool..for having the wrong color and all.

SBell

Just got some info that will be of interest for 2013--especially for mammal fans!

We are all aware of the Geoworld Jurassic Hunters line of course--with a name that may be increasingly inappropriate (although it does roll off the tongue nicely). It seems that there is a long list of Cenozoic animals also slated for this year. No, I have not seen pictures. Yes, I have seen lists.  They are as follows:

AMEBELODON
ANDREWSARCHUS
COLEODONTA
DOEDICURUS
EMBOLOTHERIUM
EOBASILEUS
EUSMILUS
HIPPARION
HYAENODON
MACRAUCHENIA
MAMMUTHUS
MEGALOCEROS
MEGATHERIUM
METRIDIOCHOERUS
PROCOPTODON
SMILODON
THYLACOSMILUS
URSUS SPELAEUS

Some usuals, of course, but some really, really unique ones! This could be really exciting!

Hopefully someone might have even poor photos soon (Mauro, I'm looking to you ;))

CityRaptor

Seems like we are drowning in mammals this year.
What's next? The Predators/Predasaurs toyline re-introducing mammals aswell? ( Think of Mix-and-Match Mammals, some of them part Dinosaur! )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SBell on January 19, 2013, 05:46:21 PM
Just got some info that will be of interest for 2013--especially for mammal fans!

We are all aware of the Geoworld Jurassic Hunters line of course--with a name that may be increasingly inappropriate (although it does roll off the tongue nicely). It seems that there is a long list of Cenozoic animals also slated for this year. No, I have not seen pictures. Yes, I have seen lists.  They are as follows:

AMEBELODON
ANDREWSARCHUS
COLEODONTA
DOEDICURUS
EMBOLOTHERIUM
EOBASILEUS
EUSMILUS
HIPPARION
HYAENODON
MACRAUCHENIA
MAMMUTHUS
MEGALOCEROS
MEGATHERIUM
METRIDIOCHOERUS
PROCOPTODON
SMILODON
THYLACOSMILUS
URSUS SPELAEUS

Some usuals, of course, but some really, really unique ones! This could be really exciting!

Hopefully someone might have even poor photos soon (Mauro, I'm looking to you ;))

I hope that this is true and that it will materialize, that list is awesome ^-^
Now... if only they can have wider distribution :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: