News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

No, I'm on the same boat as you.

EmperorDinobot

I'm going to TRU tomorrow to look for it, and that Pachy from ChapMei that lights up. Me gusta.

gfxtwin

Got the Papo Carnotaurus recently, and very quickly thanks to Dan!  Really happy with how this model turned out, and the Dimetrodon will be amazing if it looks anywhere near as good as the photo.  Seems like Papo are getting better or trying harder at being scientifically accurate.  God help all the other dinosaur toy companies if/when their quality of scientific research matches that of their sculpting.

Takama

The Carnotaur is more acurate because of us. 

anchry6

SBell

Quote from: Takama on March 11, 2013, 07:04:40 PM

How so? They took the suggestion but I don't recall any requests for sculpt feedback.

Horridus

Quote from: SBell on March 11, 2013, 10:00:36 PM
How so? They took the suggestion but I don't recall any requests for sculpt feedback.
I'm tempted to say it's more accurate because of Steve Riojas et al.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Quote from: Horridus on March 11, 2013, 10:18:08 PM

I was just on the point of posting a similar thing myself... Not that I wish to dampen our spirits.  :))

Takama

We did the Sugestion thing to Papo last year for a Carnotaurus. And we happen to refrence the Sideshow model, which is highly acurate. The member who started it had to send in the info.  one year later, we find that they copied the model, but the member that started the whole suggestion thing (Anchry6) said he got a message from Papo that pretty much confirms that the whole thing worked. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Horridus on March 11, 2013, 10:18:08 PM

All Steve did was paint it . The sculpture itself was created by Adrian Taboada . :)

Horridus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 11, 2013, 10:51:10 PM
All Steve did was paint it . The sculpture itself was created by Adrian Taboada . :)
Ah, bugger. Well, apologies to Adrian then. Next time, I'll take more time over my research ;)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Horridus on March 13, 2013, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 11, 2013, 10:51:10 PM
Ah, bugger. Well, apologies to Adrian then. Next time, I'll take more time over my research ;)

No worries. If I hadn't talked to Adrian there for awhile about these guys it wouldn't have stuck in my head so much either I suppose.  He does like the Papo Carno by the way. lol

CityRaptor

You know how they say: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 14, 2013, 07:00:08 AM
You know how they say: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

..and yet it bugs the heck out of some..just ask sculptor's whose models are recast in Thailand ;)

CityRaptor

Well, I think there is a difference between Imitation and that kind of Bootlegs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 14, 2013, 03:51:11 PM
Well, I think there is a difference between Imitation and that kind of Bootlegs.

True, just making an extreme point..lol How about a natural ones ? A predator imitating the same species to eat it..  ;D

gfxtwin

Papo was inspired by Riojas' Dimetrodon's though, I think.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: gfxtwin on March 14, 2013, 05:57:05 PM
Papo was inspired by Riojas' Dimetrodon's though, I think.

You mean David Silva or Keith Strasser's ?  As far as I know Riojas only paints and doesn't sculpt.  ???

gfxtwin

Ah, yes it was Silva.  The image of his Dimetrodon had Riojas in the image title when I found it on google.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a great one to be sure ! Shame the Papo won't be as big as David's though.. lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: