News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

His Dimetrodon is probably the most well-crafted Dimetrodon model I've seen.   The Papo model IMO has the potential to be the best plastic Dimetrodon figure by a large margin.  I wonder what the scale will be?

You'd think that in order to capture half of the detail of the model in this shot that it would need to at least be roughly the size of Papo's Komodo Dragon.  Hopefully they give it the velociraptor treatment and increases the scale of the creature.

Takama

Quote from: gfxtwin on March 15, 2013, 09:03:54 PM
His Dimetrodon is probably the most well-crafted Dimetrodon model I've seen.   The Papo model IMO has the potential to be the best plastic Dimetrodon figure by a large margin.  I wonder what the scale will be?

You'd think that in order to capture half of the detail of the model in this shot that it would need to at least be roughly the size of Papo's Komodo Dragon.  Hopefully they give it the velociraptor treatment and increases the scale of the creature.

If you look in ather posts in this thread, you will see that the Carnotaur was smaller then the Allo. But everywhere i seen it priced has it up to $20.   The Dimetrodon is in the same price range, so im asumming its the same size

EmperorDinobot

It's nice, that Dimetrodon. I kinda want one.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on March 15, 2013, 11:41:41 PM
Quote from: gfxtwin on March 15, 2013, 09:03:54 PM

If you look in ather posts in this thread, you will see that the Carnotaur was smaller then the Allo. But everywhere i seen it priced has it up to $20.   The Dimetrodon is in the same price range, so im asumming its the same size

The $20 price tag is probably a (temporary) placeholder. I would imagine that the Dimetrodon would be roughly the same size as the Papo Ankylosaurus.

Simon

You must also remember that the Dimetrodon figure in the stock photo may be the actual original sculpt from which the moulds are made,  and if that is so then the castings will not quite have as sharp details ...

Blade-of-the-Moon

The details are usually okay with Papo, it's the paint that changes..sometimes it's not 100% the same as the early pics they give us. 

Primeval12

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 18, 2013, 03:04:49 PM
The details are usually okay with Papo, it's the paint that changes..sometimes it's not 100% the same as the early pics they give us.

Like the oviraptor

tanystropheus

While the 2013 TRU Jurassic Park DINO SHOWDOWN sets [Pachyrhinosaurus, and Allosaurus] were a positive step forward for the franchise, the remainder of the Hasbro 2013 JP line is reduced to some drastically uninspired, and underwhelming fodder*:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=278&itemid=20153

*scroll down for images

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 19, 2013, 11:40:31 PM
While the 2013 TRU Jurassic Park DINO SHOWDOWN sets [Pachyrhinosaurus, and Allosaurus] were a positive step forward for the franchise, the remainder of the Hasbro 2013 JP line is reduced to some drastically uninspired, and underwhelming fodder:

Yep, pretty much the same as the last line.

suspsy

Would it be safe to say that the Dimetrodon is Papo's most accurate sculpt to date?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

The face is not round enough

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on March 20, 2013, 02:15:02 AM
The face is not round enough
Please elaborate. Sources? Not round enough according to whom?

Seijun

Dimetrodon skulls are generally depicted as having a strongly dome-shaped forehead:

Maybe the papo dimetro is based on a more uncommon species with a different skull shape?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

The only other Dimetrodon genus I can think of apart from Dimetrodon grandis is Dimetrodon gigas...is it even a valid genus anymore? Or Dimetrodon limbatus? I guess if anyone is that bothered by the head, they could modify it with epoxy or something ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on March 20, 2013, 05:20:57 AM
Dimetrodon skulls are generally depicted as having a strongly dome-shaped forehead:

Maybe the papo dimetro is based on a more uncommon species with a different skull shape?

The Papo Dimetrodon's forehead seems dome-shaped to me [I think the dome effect is partly obscured because of the high rising sail and the oblique angle of the photo]. However, it is certainly not as pronounced as the dome found on Tyco's Dimetrodon (the Tyco Dimetrodon's jaw is a bit off, though). Papo seems to have nailed the jaw, as well as the notching found on the illustration.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 19, 2013, 11:40:31 PM
While the 2013 TRU Jurassic Park DINO SHOWDOWN sets [Pachyrhinosaurus, and Allosaurus] were a positive step forward for the franchise, the remainder of the Hasbro 2013 JP line is reduced to some drastically uninspired, and underwhelming fodder*:

*scroll down for images

We already pretty much knew that. Count me out. $20 for the electronic Velociraptor is not worth it.

Or is it? These always end up being super rare later on.

Bokisaurus

Paposaurus arrived ;D
Carno, I really like this one. For me, it rivals the Allo :)

With the best of them ;)

Terrorizing CollectA's Amarga ;D They make a good pair I think ;)

Wooly Rhino's turn - this one is fat :))
With the Bullyland version

and with a distant cousin

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really like the Carno..I have yet to pick one up still. A situation I will soon be remedying. ;)

Fukuiraptor

Isn't Papo Rhino's horn too long?

brontodocus

Sorry if this one might have shown up elsewhere before (I've been absent for a while) but I really wanted to share this here in case it is new to most of you: Just a few minutes ago I was browsing a German online store and found that a company named "Edu-Toys" just threw a very nice educational set on the market... a box containing a booklet, several molds for making dinosaur teeth replicas (notably a premaxillary Tarbosaurus tooth and Iguanodon [s.l.] among them) and a nice looking Tyrannosaurus skeleton. Oh, yes, and the box design was very familiar to me - this is a German release of the Gakken "Tyrannosaurus Frame Model" kit and the skeleton is designed by Kazunari Araki!!! :o Here it is. I have the Japanese version and this is how it looks once assembled. ^-^

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: