News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Okay, what gives? I swear that the older pictures of Elasmosaurus showed it with a completely straight neck, but the photos on Safari's site show it with a bent neck, and slightly different head...

New image

Older image

Or am I just crazy? Swan necks are so 1990s

Takama

Either The Neck is Bendable/Pliable(which is alright) or Safari Has abandoned Knowledge. ::)

Docter Admin, Do you know anything about this

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on December 04, 2012, 11:18:40 PM
Either The Neck is Bendable/Pliable(which is alright) or Safari Has abandoned Knowledge. ::)

If the neck is bendy/pliable, then isn't that incorrect anyway? Elasmosaurus' neck was fairly rigid and inflexible, afaik.

Interestingly, if you look closely, you can see that the newer Elasmo also has a different head. The teeth are spikier and more detailed.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 04, 2012, 11:19:33 PM
Quote from: Takama on December 04, 2012, 11:18:40 PM

If the neck is bendy/pliable, then isn't that incorrect anyway? Elasmosaurus' neck was fairly rigid and inflexible, afaik.

Yes, but when kids play with them, they normally don't care. So us collectors can position it correctly without resorting to Paint damageing methods(hair dryer can some times cause white Kinks, as i found out with my carnegi model  :-\)

stemturtle

Yanahlossee Salamander (Safari Ltd.)

Compare this photo of the Yanahlossee Salamander from the Tennessee Aquarium Collection to the web page for the
Glow-In-The-Dark Salamander that Safari will release in 2013. 
Since the same mold was probably used for both figures, we can safely say that the new one is not an olm (Proteus), but rather a plethodontid. 
A better ID might be a troglobitic spring salamander (Gyrinophilus), although they are not albino. 
The release of this figure is a great kindness from Safari, but I continue to hope to see the cave life toob in 2014.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

ZoPteryx

Wow those Safari's are looking much better.  Any doubts in my mind are gone with regard to the Diabloceratos, the Safari version is far superior to the CollectA one. :D  And about that Elasmosaurus, I sure hope the neck is flexible, so I can take it out of that snakey pose. :P

brontodocus

Quote from: stemturtle on December 05, 2012, 12:13:45 AM
Compare this photo of the Yanahlossee Salamander from the Tennessee Aquarium Collection to the web page for the
Glow-In-The-Dark Salamander that Safari will release in 2013. 
Since the same mold was probably used for both figures, we can safely say that the new one is not an olm (Proteus), but rather a plethodontid. 
A better ID might be a troglobitic spring salamander (Gyrinophilus), although they are not albino. 
The release of this figure is a great kindness from Safari, but I continue to hope to see the cave life toob in 2014.
Yes, I wouldn't wonder if this is from the same mold, it was also used for the translucent version. Could it be the new one is meant to represent Eurycea spelaea, the Grotto Salamander (although the eyes would be a bit large then)?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Patrx

I'm definitely sold on two of the new Safari dinos; Gastornis and Gryposaurus look marvelous. Is the new bend in the Elasmosaurus' neck too severe to be possible? It's not quite the old swan-neck. Sadly, as the Diabloceratops' hands are pronated, it's out of my list. Shame, too, it looks pretty good otherwise.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm actually most impressed with the Gryposaurus.  The head on the Elasmo does look a bit better as well.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Pixelboy on December 05, 2012, 01:28:20 AM
I'm definitely sold on two of the new Safari dinos; Gastornis and Gryposaurus look marvelous. Is the new bend in the Elasmosaurus' neck too severe to be possible? It's not quite the old swan-neck. Sadly, as the Diabloceratops' hands are pronated, it's out of my list. Shame, too, it looks pretty good otherwise.
I was just pondering, that comment Pixel, and wondered if it might be possible to simply heat the legs and rotate them slightly enough to place the hands closer to neutral? I am guessing that would not make the dinosaur much different but still alter it just enough to fit popular perceptions.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on December 05, 2012, 01:23:20 AM
Yes, I wouldn't wonder if this is from the same mold, it was also used for the translucent version. Could it be the new one is meant to represent Eurycea spelaea, the Grotto Salamander (although the eyes would be a bit large then)?

Brotodocus, I like your suggestion for a Grotto Salamander, Eurycea (synonym Typhlotriton) spelaeus.  Closer color match to Safari's Glow-In-The-Dark Salamander

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on December 05, 2012, 02:58:31 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on December 05, 2012, 01:23:20 AM

Brotodocus, I like your suggestion for a Grotto Salamander, Eurycea (synonym Typhlotriton) spelaeus.  Closer color match to Safari's Glow-In-The-Dark Salamander

Regardless of the species, it would be the same mold, just as when they made the Translucents figures, also using the same salamander molds. I think, for these lines, they don't get very wrapped up in species.

ajax

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 05, 2012, 02:12:07 AM
I'm actually most impressed with the Gryposaurus.  The head on the Elasmo does look a bit better as well.

Me too, The details in the Gryposaurus face look really nice and i like the colour. Looks better than the original pic.

Bokisaurus

Those new pics of Safari is nice... however, it looks like the paint job looks sloppy  ??? I hope they will look better in person.

tyrantqueen

I'm disappointed with the change of the Elasmosaurus, and I wish they'd kept the prototype, but I think I'll still go for it anyway.

Also, safari's new dinosaurs always look to me as though the person sculpting them has used a texture stamp. The detail is good, sure, but definitely doesn't have the organic, sculptural feel of a paposaur or Carnegie.

The Concavenator still hasn't impressed me

Skipping this one for definite.

Just my honest opinions 8)

Jetoar

I like this figure, I want this Spanish dinosaur  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll pick it up as well. I don't think Forest uses a texture stamp..not on the newer pieces anyway. There is detail in the Carnegie line..it's just not obvious with the paint Safari uses.

Takama

From this prospective, I can see a hint of a Biped figure.   Just straighten the tail and head, and it would be perfect

juju1305

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 04, 2012, 11:14:38 PM
Okay, what gives? I swear that the older pictures of Elasmosaurus showed it with a completely straight neck, but the photos on Safari's site show it with a bent neck, and slightly different head...

New image

Older image

Or am I just crazy? Swan necks are so 1990s

fixed the teeth, messed up the neck...
But it's hard to tell how bent it is from that perspective.
Probably far less than the S shaped eslasmosaurus from Bullyland  ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 05, 2012, 03:35:57 PM
I'll pick it up as well. I don't think Forest uses a texture stamp..not on the newer pieces anyway. There is detail in the Carnegie line..it's just not obvious with the paint Safari uses.
I wasn't talking about the Concavenator. It is pretty obvious the Carnegie line doesn't use texture stamps. It's the Wild Safari line which I suspect does- because of the uniformity of the scales, it just looks artificial and inorganic to me :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: