News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Quote from: juju1305 on December 05, 2012, 05:26:40 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 04, 2012, 11:14:38 PM
Okay, what gives? I swear that the older pictures of Elasmosaurus showed it with a completely straight neck, but the photos on Safari's site show it with a bent neck, and slightly different head...

New image

Older image

Or am I just crazy? Swan necks are so 1990s

fixed the teeth, messed up the neck...
But it's hard to tell how bent it is from that perspective.
Probably far less than the S shaped eslasmosaurus from Bullyland  ;D

A little hot water could strighten it out

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 05, 2012, 06:06:09 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 05, 2012, 03:35:57 PM
I'll pick it up as well. I don't think Forest uses a texture stamp..not on the newer pieces anyway. There is detail in the Carnegie line..it's just not obvious with the paint Safari uses.
I wasn't talking about the Concavenator. It is pretty obvious the Carnegie line doesn't use texture stamps. It's the Wild Safari line which I suspect does- because of the uniformity of the scales, it just looks artificial and inorganic to me :)

That I agree with. It's pretty easy to tell on the new Diabloceratops.

Brontozaurus

Re: the Elasmosaurus, the neck position looks different between the two photos on the website. I know it might be a case of different angles...but could the neck actually be bendable? It would explain the different positions, if the neck was bent into a different shape between shots.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 05, 2012, 08:14:32 AM
I'm disappointed with the change of the Elasmosaurus, and I wish they'd kept the prototype, but I think I'll still go for it anyway.

Also, safari's new dinosaurs always look to me as though the person sculpting them has used a texture stamp. The detail is good, sure, but definitely doesn't have the organic, sculptural feel of a paposaur or Carnegie.

The Concavenator still hasn't impressed me

Skipping this one for definite.

Just my honest opinions 8)

Best. Concavenator. Ever. :P

tanystropheus

Great detailing on the Gryposaurus skull.
The paint app on the Dimorphodon (a childhood favourite) looks richer on the recently released photos...
It now looks as if the Elasmo and the Dimorpho are bendy figures...
Gastornis. Awesome.
Safari still needs to upgrade/update (?) their paint apps (remember the long lost days of Postosuchus, Coelacanth, Dunkleosteus, Rhamphorhynchus, Icthyosaurus, Tylosaurus and Triceratops?)

Simon

Ikessauro

Quote from: Simon on December 06, 2012, 12:57:49 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 06, 2012, 07:43:04 AM

Which is not saying much.

I agree with Simon
Easy to say that when there's only two Concavenator toys out there and one is by CollectA ;)

Jetoar

Quote from: juju1305 on December 05, 2012, 05:26:40 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 04, 2012, 11:14:38 PM
Okay, what gives? I swear that the older pictures of Elasmosaurus showed it with a completely straight neck, but the photos on Safari's site show it with a bent neck, and slightly different head...

New image

Older image

Or am I just crazy? Swan necks are so 1990s

fixed the teeth, messed up the neck...
But it's hard to tell how bent it is from that perspective.
Probably far less than the S shaped eslasmosaurus from Bullyland  ;D

I dont know the new change of the elasmosaurus neck............
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 06, 2012, 01:05:42 PM
Quote from: Simon on December 06, 2012, 12:57:49 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 06, 2012, 07:43:04 AM

Which is not saying much.

I agree with Simon
Easy to say that when there's only two Concavenator toys out there and one is by CollectA ;)
I prefer CollectA's anyway, at least it is an original sculpt.  :-X

DinoToyForum

Hi all. Doug Watson, one of Safari's sculptors, emailed me with a few comments in response to some of the queries above. I'm happy to pass them on:

"I was just checking the DinoToyBlog and I noticed the new images of my latest Safaris have sparked some questions. If you want I can answer them here for you to relay if you wish.
1. Neither the neck of the Elasmosaurus or the tail of the Dimorphodon are "bendy".
2. In the case of the first image that came out of the Elasmosaurus it was taken from a different side and the camera angle made the neck look straight & shorter plus the head is exactly the same in both shots. The neck is level as you last saw it in my sculpt and does not rise like a swan.
3. In the case of the Dimorphodon the tail on one of my paint guides became distorted in transit. That was the one from the first image that came out that showed a straighter tail pointing down. The proper position of the tail starts with a downward angle and ends with an upwards sweep as is shown in the newer image. I checked with Safari when the first shot came out and they have assured me that the resin used to make the mould had the proper angle.
4. As for Pixelboy and his "pronated" comments for the hands of my Diabloceratops as with all of my horned dinos I use the paper Thompson, S., and R. Holmes. 2007. FORELIMB STANCE AND STEP CYCLE IN CHASMOSAURUS IRVINENSIS (DINOSAURIA: NEOCERATOPSIA) PALAEO-ELECTRONICA.ORG"

Dan

So the Elasmo is still considered a scientifically sound restoration, then?

John

Quote from: Dan on December 06, 2012, 07:42:43 PM
Sort answer,yes ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: John on December 06, 2012, 10:08:34 PM
Quote from: Dan on December 06, 2012, 07:42:43 PM
Sort answer,yes ;D

Yeah. I can confirm that the position of the neck is well within the possible range of motion in elasmosaurids. That second picture is a bit misleading because it doesn't show the extreme length of the neck, so it appears more curved than it really is. It is just the angle of the photo.

Horridus

Is this another one you were involved with, Adam...?
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Dan

Excellent, thanks.

Quote from: Horridus on December 06, 2012, 10:27:28 PM
Is this another one you were involved with, Adam...?

Yes, you missed out on that happy announcement. His illustrations have that similar robustness in the neck.

suspsy

I don't care for the white patches on the Concavenator's head, but it still looks like a nice toy to me.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Quote from: suspsy on December 07, 2012, 01:38:51 AM
I don't care for the white patches on the Concavenator's head, but it still looks like a nice toy to me.
It's not a TOY! It's a REPLICA! A COLLECTIBLE! You know kind of like G.I.Joe is NOT a DOLL! It's an ACTION FIGURE!!!!! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Takama

Yes, calling The Carnegi Models Toys, is the most common mistake i found in Reviews on amazon that complain that the models are brittle or sharp.

They are not toys, they are teaching aids for kids. I known this since i was a five year old BTW

John

Quote from: Takama on December 07, 2012, 02:13:46 AM
Yes, Caing The Carnegi Models Toys, is the most common mistake i find in Reviews on amazon that complai that the models are brittle or sharp.

They are not toys, they are teaching aids for kids. I known this since i was a five year old BTW
I've seen those reviews.It just makes me think that their kids are probably bouncing them off the walls or dropping them off the roof...
How else do you end up breaking one of the Carnegie Collection dinosaur toys?!? :)

Takama

Bashing them together to roughly like they think dinosaurs did.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: