You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Desire for future BotM series from Creative Beast Studio

Started by Kaustav Bhattacharyya, July 19, 2020, 06:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Dear Suspy, as per your suggestion I am starting this new thread, where I am placing my utmost desire of an articulated Pterosaur line from Creative Beast Studio after their iconic Tyrannosaur series. Tyrannosaur series will really fulfill one of my childhood dreams to see accurate Tyrannosaur figures which I can touch and  feel the primordial beauty of the lost world we all have left behind 65 million years ago. From the very childhood I was very much passionate with dinosaurs especially with the Tyrannosaurs, after getting familiar with these beasts from the legendary documentaries on Discovery Channel along with Jurassic Park. 

suspsy

David Silva hinted in a recent interview that stegosaurs might be the fourth BotM series. I would absolutely be down with that, especially if he did Stegosaurus at the 1/35 scale as well as at 1/18.

Pterosaurs would be . . . iffy due to their wings. I'm really not sure how one would go about making them articulated enough to spread out wide for flight and also fold up for standing and walking.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

EmmaLVV

Quote from: suspsy on July 19, 2020, 03:47:56 PM
David Silva hinted in a recent interview that stegosaurs might be the fourth BotM series. I would absolutely be down with that, especially if he did Stegosaurus at the 1/35 scale as well as at 1/18.

Pterosaurs would be . . . iffy due to their wings. I'm really not sure how one would go about making them articulated enough to spread out wide for flight and also fold up for standing and walking.

Oh god, please let it be Stegosaurs :D

indohyus

Think ankylosaurs would be pretty good, given most the figures so far have been from the Cretaceous.

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Maybe a cross between the ball jointed wings of the Hasbro JPIII Pteranodon and the Mattel ones that have foldable wings? Maybe have the digits on a ratchet joint allowing the to flex up and down. Might not be the most ideal solution though, if do-able. Perhaps have the wing membrane made of a cloth material as well so it can be joined to the body unlike plastic which would create a seam along the body? See the Kenner Lost World Pteranodon as an example.

Edit: I think I do recall him, if not fans, expressing interest in a pterosaur line in one of the kickstarters.

There was also speculation of sauropds being done too which certainly could explain the 1/35 scale.

Granted if he does do stegosaurs next I certainly have a wishlist of genus I want to see made. Aside from Stegosaurus itself, I would like to see Kentrosaurus, Miragaia, Chungkingosaurus, Huayangosaurus, Gigantspinosaurus, and maybe others. I'll do a bit of research and see what contestants are out there with decent remains.

Edit: I would like to see ornithopods eventually made as well. Lots of interesting choices, particularly hadrosaurids.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

If there were a line of BotM stegosaurs or pterosaurs, I would definitely dabble. An interview Silva did with Nick Schofield (https://chasmosaurs.com/2020/06/23/interview-mesozoic-beasts-david-silva/) contained the following exchange:

Schofield: Are there any non-dinosaur Mesozoic beasts you want to develop figures for?

Silva: Sharks. I'm not sure how I'd approach the articulation yet, but I'd love to do a series of prehistoric sharks.

In a shark line, I would buy every single figure except the megalodon. Somehow O. megalodon is the only shark that has ever been made into a semi-realistic full-size toy (Dinosaur Train did a Cretoxyrhina, but it's not exactly lifelike), despite the many weird and wonderful morphologies that sharks have experimented with over their hundreds of millions of years of history.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EverEvolvingSaurian

On the topic of articulated pterosaurs, maybe one could have a thin easily bendable plastic as the wing membrane? If the articulation is too hard, maybe simply having swappable wings for different poses would work?

When it comes to sharks, having a articulated Mesozoic shark line would be insanely awesome! On top of that, because O. megladon isn't a Mesozoic animal, those who would rather have other figures on its place may be pleased!
"Be glad you are behind that fence, señor"

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

If non-dinosaur Mesozoic creatures are desirable I shall go with the the prehistoric crocodilians rather than the sharks. Both the triassic archosaurs and the gigantic dinosaur slashing crocodilians, susch as Deinosuchus, Sarcosuchus and the others are in an utmost need to be in action figure form with utmost accuracy which only this company can bring after.

Champsosaurs, extinct diapsid reptiles, are desirable figure having no figure at all till date.

I can bet this will be one of the most successful non-dinosaur lines if ventured by Creative Beast Studio ever.

suspsy

Be it stegosaurs or hadrosaurs that make up the fourth BotM series, I think it would be really cool if the colour schemes were taken from frogs and toads. Lots and lots of potential there:

EverEvolvingSaurian

Frogs would be incredible for Stegosaur colour inspiration. Imagine a Stegosaurus with blue poison dart colours!

Bread

A hadrosaur line would be great. I also thought about spinosaurids being a good choice. Pterosaurs on the other hand may be "iffy" due to the articulation in their wings. Would be tough to pull off, but if done right they will be amazing.

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I really like some of the examples here. Especially the big one all spread out (pacman frog?). Some of the ceratopsians had color schemes from frogs but honestly I am down for stegosaurs and ornithopods using those. Maybe in the case of ornithopods mix in frog's colors with some modern day ungulate patterns? Would certainly make for some interesting color schemes.

Edit: Weird thought but maybe butterfly and moth wings for inspiration for certain hadrosaurids crests? Like some with eyespots?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I'm skeptical that realistic wing folding for a potential pterosaur series is achievable, since wing membranes were probably pretty elastic and any material that could emulate that would quickly become brittle with use. Two interchangeable sets of wings is probably the way to go.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

suspsy

Personally, I'd like frogs to be used for stegosaurs, given the notion that the plates may have been for display purposes.

On that note, I wonder if and when David Silva will start using less vivid colour schemes for his creations. We've already gone through birds, squamates, and some frogs, so that really doesn't leave many colourful land animals left.

Crocodilians would certainly work for spinosaurs.

Halichoeres

To be honest, I'd prefer he move away from copying and pasting from living animals. For the ceratopsian series, the lizard palettes were at least modified a bit to make them look a little less obvious. But I'd rather just see color schemes that arise from thinking about the animals' ecology and sensory equipment. I will say that I'm glad he isn't falling into the 'they're large like some mammals and hence must be all browns and grays' trap.

EverEvolvingSaurian

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Indeed, it would probably make many people happy if the colour choices were entirely original (myself included). However, if he continues to modern life as an inspiration (like the ceratopsian line) instead of straight up copying the colours and patterns of modern animals (like the raptor series), it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Nanuqsaurus

I think spinosaurids would be really cool to see! As for inspiration for the colour schemes, maybe modern crocodilians or waterfowl. Or even better: mix it up a bit to make something original! :D

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Can anyone state explicitly when will the ceratopsians become available in the market?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on July 21, 2020, 04:05:06 PM
Can anyone state explicitly when will the ceratopsians become available in the market?

Short answer: no. Silva originally estimated a late 2020 release for the first several figures, with the rest released throughout 2021. But between ordinary production adjustments and pandemic-related slowdowns in manufacturing and global shipping, I think it's unlikely we'll see anything this year.

Dinoxels

David has stated that he is still looking at the end of September, but there is always the chance things could go south.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: